Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Butter Ball Delight (Pastry)  (Read 14353 times)
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« on: 02 December 2008, 06:06:43 »

Ok. I am back and trying to work on finishing this once again. I am not going to colour what has been changed, as I completely rewrote each section.

heart I have changed the name yet again, yet I am not sure how well it will fit. I would like to find or figure out an elven equivalent as well, so any help with that would be appreciated.

heart I left out "Importance" as everything which belongs there has been repeated more than twice throughout the entry and it such a simple thing.

Butter Ball Delight

Overview
A hobbit favourite to pair with a good cup of coffee or cha, these delicious balls of foridite and butter flavours melt in your mouth when eaten. It is because of its buttery core, the name of Butter Balls was given to this delight. This delectable treat has become popular outside the Shires for any time of day or occasion. Between hobbit families, and those outside of the Shires who have attempted to recreate, variations can be found all over Sarvonia. Yet, only the hobbits have been able to master this treat with unfailing effectiveness, but each attempted remake is not without its own tasteful pleasure. Children are particularly fond of these as they are small, sweet, and easy to slip into one's pockets unnoticed.

Description
A small golden treat of about two and a half nailsbreadths in diameter, they are perfect to be enjoyed with a cup of your favourite warm drink. This delight often fills a room with its sweet and buttery aroma, drawing many to the oven to watch them bake. Their flavour does not disappoint either, as the tongue is coated in the dusting of foridite, while the buttery core simply liquefies once bitten into.  It is preferably served straight from the oven in small portions, as the taste is unsurpassed when consumed directly from the heat. They also do not keep well over extended periods of time, becoming hard and tasteless the longer they sit.

Directly from the oven, the balls are rolled in a good amount of foridite, covering them completely in the sweet substance. Once the first coat has melted enough to make the balls sticky, they are given an ample dusting of cinna. This helps to tone the sweetness of the foridite and compliment the butter. Hobbits with an affinity towards sweets, generally omit the cinna, and roll the balls a second time in the foridite. While others may forget about the coatings altogether. It depends on the household and their particular taste. As such, the colourations vary greatly, from a golden colour to cinnabrown.

Outside of the Shires, their appearance varies beyond their traditional make-up. Both the elves and humans have found their own ways to prepare and add to them in attempts to recreate and perfect the treat. Yet, to those who have tasted the delights from the shires, feel all other replications fall short in direct comparison.

Usages/Effects
A treat served at tables all over Sarvonia, no matter the variation of the treat or the location of the table, it is happily consumed with a cup of coffee or cha. Even with this spread, only the hobbits have mastered the true texture and consistency of this delight, and they find those made by the elves and humans to be quite inferior in both aspects. There are good points to those made outside of the Shires, as they have been the object of experimentation over the years. Various toppings and additions to the core, but no one has been able to accurately replicate those made by the hobbits themselves.

Origin
The sole creator of the pastry has long since been forgotten, at least by name, but there is no doubt it was a hobbit's idea. The receipt has been in the Shires for centuries and is part of every family's tradition. Every family has created their own special variation over the years, but the basic treat has remained the same since the beginning and none vary too far from the original. The primary receipt is held dear and secret, but the elves and humans have made some comparable replications. Thus, the balls are no longer a true hobbit secret any longer, but their quality is unsurpassed.

There is some debate over which tribe had first come up with this delight, but Helmondsshire Halflings will take the credit more than most. Most of the ingredients are easily accessible close to home, if not grown or produced in some manner, no matter the location. This makes it available to families of all walks of life, and an elegant treat for those who enjoy such delicacies.  

Various nuts, chocolate, and honey have been submitted as variations to this treat by the elves and humans. Even alterations of the basic ingredients can have a dramatic texture and taste difference on the pastry. The type of nut used gives it a unique flavour undertone, as well as the type of flour. How the butter is prepared and seasoned, and the type of animal's milk used to produce the butter. These are all small factors which can create the simplest of differences.

Method of Preparation
Begin with a large mixing bowl and an utensil by which to mix your batter. The basic ingredients to make about three to four dozen, known and used by most except hobbits, are the following: two scups of butter, one scup of powdered foridite, four scups of breddflour, one and a half scups of doch nuts finely chopped, and about a pinch of salt. The butter should be softened, though not melted completely and mixed thoroughly with the powdered foridite. Gradually add the flour, nuts, and salt, making sure the dough sticks together well. Pour some extra powdered foridite into a separate small bowl.

Once thoroughly blended, roll the dough into balls about two and a half nailsbreadths in diameter. Place them on a baking sheet and bake on a high heat for about ten minutes. Do not brown them too darkly, as they will crumble easily when handled. Once removed from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes but while they are still quite warm, roll them in the extra powdered foridite then replace them on the rack to finish cooling. After cooled, another coat of powdered foridite or cinna should be applied before serving.

Despite these provided measurements, no one other than the hobbits have been able to specifically master this treat to its precise delectable mouth of joy. The elves and humans have modified the receipt to more appropriately suit their tastes. The receipt is made as it says above, yet the nuts are more commonly left out. Once from the oven and allowed to cool, the ball's bottom is then dipped into melted chocolate or the chocolate is drizzled over the top in various designs. Another variation is a light coat of honey on the cooled delights, as honey is often served with cha for additional sweetness as desired. Different nuts with the receipt has been experimented with, depending on the type of drink they are consuming or flavour undertones desired to compliment. Even with all the variations amongst the races and families over Sarvonia, one must travel to the Shires to receive the perfect Butter Ball Delight.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2009, 02:39:44 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2008, 09:49:18 »

Heya Tela, fun little entry you have here. I'll give it a little check for hobbity goodness. grin
Tea Time Delights

OverView
A hobbit favorite for their afternoon tea, this delight is a ball of sugar and buttery flavors which melts in your mouth. Though usually only served for tea, this delectable treat is able to be served at any time of day or occasion with elated response from its receivers because of its sugary disposition. Their small size also makes it easy to hide in pockets to sneak some when the adults aren't looking.

Description
A small treat, about two and a half nailsbreadths in diameter, made specifically for a hobbits afternoon tea. This delight often fills a room with its sugar and buttery aroma, drawing many to the oven to watch them bake. Their taste does not disappoint either, as tongue is coated in the sugar from the coating while the buttery texture helps it to simply melt once in bitten into. It is served warm for tea, but is often allowed to cool much longer for other occasions. The temperature doesn't affect the texture much beyond them being easier to consume while cooled. Most children learn to make this when they are young, as it is very simple and easy to make, as well as delicious to consume.

Generally rolled in powdered foridite sugar, it can be drizzled in chocolate as well for a more presentable appearance. The chocolate helps to mellow the butter flavor but give it a richer sugary taste. Most children enjoy the powdered sugar, as it is easier to slip into one's pockets without creating a sticky mess, but the rim around their lips will give their thievery away.

Usages/Effects
A treat served at home or some taverns in the hobbit's homelands. It is not generally found outside of their territories,<~~(comma) as the receipt isn't passed between families, only down from mother to daughter. When served in taverns with tea, it will be cooled, if not chilled because of keeping for longer periods of time. Even with being a tea time snack, this delight is enjoyed all times of the day and anytime of the year.

Origin
It is rare to find anyone beyond the hobbits who make or even know of this delectable treat. It has passed from mother to daughter for generations, and never passes to anyone outside of the family, at least their specific receipt. Every family has their own special variation which they have incorporated over the years, but the basic treat has remained the same for centuries.

There is some debate over which tribe had first come up with this delight, but Helmondsshire Halflings will take the credit more than most. Most of the ingredients are easily accessible close to home, if not grown or produced by many of the farmers in the shire, which then makes it available to families of all walks of life. Anyone who enjoys a good cup of tea will have served this at least once in their lifetime.

Method of Preparation
Begin with a large mixing bowl and an utensil by which to mix your batter. The ingredients which are needed will be one tot scups of butter, 1 scup of powdered foridite sugar, about three pinches of vanilla, two and a forth tots of breddflour, one and a half tots of doch nuts finely chopped, and about a pinch of salt. The butter should be softened, though not melted completely and then mixed thoroughly with the vanilla and powdered sugar. Gradually add the flour, nuts, and salt, making sure the dough sticks together well. Pour some extra powdered sugar into a separate small bowl.

Once thoroughly blended, roll the dough into balls about two and a half nailsbreadths in diameter. Place them on a non-greased sheet and bake on a high heat for about ten minutes. Do not brown them, as they will crumble too easily. Once removed from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes but while they are still warm, roll them in the extra powdered sugar then replace them on the rack to finish cooling. After completely cooled, chocolate drizzle may be applied, or a final coat of powdered sugar before serving.

Serve on a small plate with a favorite cup of tea.

Importance
It is merely one of a variety of tea time treats the hobbits enjoy,<~~(comma) and one which is quite a favorite by the younger population because of its sweet disposition. Other races, when visiting, may have had a taste of this treat but it isn't documented amongst their traditions, making it strictly a hobbit delight. Even if the recipe is begged for, no woman or girl will surrender its contents for fear of being scorned by those around them. It is a well and deliciously kept secret.

This is a very well done entry. It fits the hobbits well, though I am a bit dubious about no one else knowing how to make it. The hobbit do mingle a lot with the other races, and the reciept is rather simple. However, I guess it is plausible, so it should be fine. Well done!

Mannix
« Last Edit: 02 December 2008, 09:55:17 by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2008, 10:10:17 »

Oh trust me, the hobbits are sneaky, and perhaps with some coaxing I could change it so some know how to make but very few. But, I think something which is specifically theirs wouldn't hurt anyone. :)

Thanks for the corrections. What I get for not proofreading XD

Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2008, 10:25:53 »

Oh, you can leave it as it is Tela, I was only remarking.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2008, 11:31:32 by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2008, 10:56:45 »

Oh, I know you do. I am glad you enjoyed, hopefully I can get at least one thing up on the site for a start :)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2008, 11:39:50 »

I hate to say this, because it is a delightful little receipt and nicely concepted, but.....
it's internally inconsistent.   If no one but the hobbits have the receipt - then WHY is it published in the Compendium?  How did you get aholt of it?  Why didn't Hubert pummel you into the kitchen tiles when he realized the secret was out?  :)

EITHER you tell us about the secret goody, describe it mouthwateringly, and add that human cooks have tried to replicate it with the following ingredients but never quite succeeded in catching that elusively melting goodness.....OR you give us the receipt, complete with yummy secret ingredients,  and brag that at long last the hobbit clan of XXX has been willing to share their amazing teatime delicacy, and the Compendium is proud to present it, blah blah blah.

Can't have it both ways, I'm afraid!  In other words, you can't have your Tea Delight AND eat it too.....   :D

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2008, 11:50:00 »

I will pretend that most of what you said made sense... Would removing the exact measurements help the secret part?

I got part of it and will see what I can do to fix.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2008, 11:54:28 »

Sorry I wasn't clear:  let me repeat.

" If no one but the hobbits have the receipt - then WHY is it published in the Compendium?"

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2008, 12:02:07 »

There are no "Race only" receipts?

I am not meaning to be difficult, I guess we are just not on the same page of understanding here. It isn't a difficult change as need be. Just asking questions, no need to get curt ^.~

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2008, 12:04:45 »

Like Mannix, I think this entry suits the hobbits well.  It's simple, but fun.  My only critique would be that it would be nice to include some of the variations that each family adds to the receipt.  Do some add nuts?  raisins?  etc.  This would bring a little more depth to the entry.

As to race only recepts:  There can be... but if its a Hobbit only receipt, and the compendium is a human book, the how did the humans who wrote the book get the receipt?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2008, 12:24:05 »

I added a little bit with for you Alt, but there really isn't much more to add for this simple receipt. I only have so many ingredients. :)

Changed up the hobbit only to include others, but minimally.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2008, 17:08:39 »

Telamori:  Apologies if my previous post sounded sarcastic.   I often check in between classes (as in, teaching, not studying) and don't always have the longest time to write elaborate sentences.  Also, I'm not sure what I can say to make my point more clearly, but I'll try yet again, hopefully without sounding either curt or patronizing.

You are submitting an entry to a giant Compendium of information about the world of Caelereth.  You are doing so in the persona of 'Telamori', a Compendium researcher.   This entry becomes part of the Compendium, which is available to (theoretically) all inhabitants of Santharia, and certainly to all the scholars in New Santhala, where the Great Hall of the Compendium is located.

So:  you state that this receipt is a secret of the hobbits.  Then how, unless you are a hobbit (and your name sounds more elven), did you get the receipt - right down to the detailed ingredients and measurements?   And if you are a hobbit, why are you sharing the receipt with all these curious human (orcen, dwarven, elven, Brownie, etc.) researchers that we have around the Compendium?  You'd be in pretty big trouble pretty quickly with the hobbit community, right?

Please look at my first post for two different suggestions about how you could fix this logical inconsistency.

We do have receipts from all kinds of different races (Orcen 'chilli', for example) but as soon as they are published they can't really be a secret....

Hope that helps you to understand what my issue was originally!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2008, 18:19:48 »

Fortunately I just had a lebkuchen with my morning tea..

Two remarks - we mostly use just the word foridite only, and not sugar, we have no other sugar so far and I think even if we will have some other sweetener than honey one day it might be called foridite nevertheless. That does not mean, that you might find the word "sugar" somewhere.

It's quite some time that I read the hobbit entry, so it might be the case. Do have hobbits an afternoon tea or are you just assuming this (coming from a British/American background?) Why do they not have it with a coffee in the (early) afternoon? You have surely read all about the hobbits when you "cook" for them, so you can answer this quickly.

--> This way you could influence a big entry in a way, which should not go unreflected.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2008, 18:40:26 »

Talia, I can answer the last bit for you. The hobibt entry says they have five meals a day if I remember correct. It doesn't say what these are, unless I missed something, so we, well me at least, have assumed they have breakfast, lunch and dinner, and to fill the other two gaps I'd guess at meals in between, so brunch and and afternoon tea. Woah is that a run on sentence or what. Anyways, Tela, I guess, has assumed they would have tea at afternoon tea because the drink goes perfectly with snacks, which is what they would have for afternoon. I'd imagine the hobbits would have more substantial afternoon tea than we, as they have to get their famous bellies from somewhere. Not every hobbit would have tea for afternoon tea, but a lot would. Now for the names of afternoon tea and brunch, I realise that they infer the the meals of our world, but doesn't lunch make you think of sandwiches. The names shouldn't be too much problem, as they make sense in Santharia as much as they do in ours. Brunch seems exactly like the quirky sort of word hobbits would make up, to me at least. Sorry for rambling on a bit. *runs off before anyone wakes up.*

Mannix
« Last Edit: 02 December 2008, 18:45:00 by Mannix » Logged

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2008, 19:10:10 »

I had a look, Mannix, and you are right, the hobbits have five meals a day, but they are not defined.

Food is also a very important part of the lives of Hobbits. They haven't gained their famous bellies by merely singing and dancing all day, after all! Cooking and meal-times have become an extremely important part of the culture, such to the point that most hobbits learn to cook before they even learn their letters. It is said that the best cooks are hobbits, but also that hobbits are the best eaters. They commonly eat at least five meals a day. Pipeweed has also been known to be a rather large part of the history, and is an invention of hobbits that they are indeed quite proud of.

What I do ot like, if something is decided without much thought if it makes sense and that British customs are introduced without reflecting them, without thought if it could be different.

You write yourself:
I'd imagine the hobbits would have more substantial afternoon tea than we, as they have to get their famous bellies from somewhere. Not every hobbit would have tea for afternoon tea, but a lot would. Now for the names of afternoon tea and brunch, I realise that they infer the the meals of our world, but doesn't lunch make you think of sandwiches.

But why should the hobbits have sandwiches at lunch and not a decent meal? why should they (or most) have tea in the afternoon and not malt coffee? See, what I mean? with their belly I would say, they have following meals:

Breakfast, after Firstflame: (hot, like in England, with porridge, ham, sausages, tomatoes, beans, bread and marmalade. oh dear, I crave for such a treat.

Forenoon (around Lightthrive) Cold meal with bread, sausages, fruits (radish!) etc, cold drink

Midday, Sunreign: A hot (main) meal like in Germany with meat, potatoes or similar, some salad, occasional a sweet main meal

Afternoon, around 9 santh time: Cakes, lot of cakes with coffee (malt), not just a few of the delicacies from above. (Which hobbit would stop eating?) Or a lot of the above pastry.

Evening meal, around Lastflame, Starrise: like supper in England, warm again, with some cold things like cheese and some sweets (again this pastry) after the main meal. That will really make their bellies round...

Somehow, the longer I think about it, an English tea ceremony does not really fit with the hobbits, doesn't it? Not enough food is consumed.

Maybe it would be an idea, to change the number of meals to seven, for five meals is nothing special, most races have it. This way we could squeeze a tea with pastries in between coffee and cake and the evening meal. and there could be an additional snack short before bedtime.

Telamori, you will find the times of the day here in the entry about the Santharian Calender

Manix, aren't you our Hobbit specialist, so that you could agree to that 7 meals a day change? We could set up a poll, what do you think?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: r3g1na15
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 97
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!