Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Cross-reference contest  (Read 9847 times)
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« on: 13 December 2008, 22:54:54 »

Could we have a contest (lasting until January 30th) to see who can produce the most heavily cross-referenced entry? Only potential links to things already on site would be counted, and each unique link would be counted once (so if you mention "Northern Sarvonia" in an entry fifty times, it counts as one cross-reference for that entry).

The participants would be required to highlight each unique link once, the first time it appears. They would also need to display the amount of links in their entry at the top of the entry.

Then for a little more fun, the top five most cross-referenced pieces could be placed in a poll, and people could vote on which one they like best. Criteria would include amount of links, and ingenuity and creativity in using them.

So in the end, we could give out three awards for this come January. One for the hightest number of cross-references, one for the best overall use of them, and a third for the most hilarious single cross-reference (i.e. which particular cross-reference made you laugh the most). Remember, only references to in-site entries can be used.

What do you think?

Official Contest Rules

In order for an entry to receive consideration in the contest, it must meet the following criteria:
  • It must be very Santharian, and part of some idea(s) already on site or being developed. In other words, it can't just drop out of nowhere. It needs to have a reason it is being developed that is relevant to Santharia, like most entries.
  • The Category 1 links (see Talia's post above) must be highlighted (since we are all blind to at least one color or another, I'll let you pick out your colors). A count of the amount of Category 1 links in your entry must be stated at the top of the entry.
  • Each entry must be posted in its appropiate forum on March 1st. No entry that is to be considered in this contest is allowed to be posted before or after this date. The only exception will be for a work posted before the date, while it is in progress and none of the links are highlighted nor a count of the links posted with the entry.

OK, I hope that covers any issues, alert me if any potential problems spring to mind (I have, fortunately, given myself a long time to fix things, if necessary). Now, as for the rules for winning the contest:
  • Well, naturally, the Quantity award winner will be the one with the most links in his/her entry.
  • The Quality award will go to one of the five entries with the most links in them. It will be judged according to overall quality of the entry, the amount of Santharian integration, thoroughness, detail, and interesting reading. Basically, whichever entry is the most well-done and well-rounded.
  • The Efficiency awards (somebody think of a better name for that, please) will go to whoever can achieve the best ratio of words per link. There are two awards for this, one for {words/link cat. 1}, the other for {words/link cat. 1+2}. The smallest ratio (closest to one) will be the winner.
  • The Best Humor will go to whoever comes up with the single most hilarious cross-reference. On this one, multiple nominations will be considered, so feedback on which reference you think is funniest will be needed. Whether it be punny, Easter eggish, or  rolling , any link from any of Talia's categories can be considered for the funniest. So get creative while throwing in those references!
Definitions of link categories:

Link category 1:  The first word linked to entry A
Link category 2:  A second (or third, or etc.) word linked to entry A (because we were already linked to this entry, but it is another new opportunity)
« Last Edit: 13 February 2009, 21:19:13 by Morden Peshirgolz » Logged
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2008, 23:04:50 »

Yeah, I do have already a submission on the way which could fulfil these requirements, well, maybe apart from the unique..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2008, 23:12:53 »

By unique I simply mean that if a certain link (say "Rimmerins Blackhog" or something) appears many times within an entry, in this contest it would count as one cross-reference. In other words, the winner of this contest would be the person who could reference the most entries from the Compendium.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2008, 23:20:51 »

Hmmm, I'd submit my treatise on '101 Uses for Fungus'....  (looks around at her Santharian bookshelf for inspiration and narrows her eyes in thought...) 

This could be a lot of fun - I love the idea of a contest!  I'd make it longer than one update, though - some of us don't log in that regularly.   How about from now through to January 30, or at least January 15?  People need time to create good entries from scratch anyhow, let alone well-cross-referenced ones.

Anyhow, fab idea, Morden, and a great way to encourage research - oh, you didn't think of that? Sorry, your innocent look needs work...     bravo, and have an aura bump for sheer brilliance!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2008, 23:22:50 »

Ah, I did not mean unique, but
and a third for the most hilarious single cross-reference

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2008, 23:23:50 »

Having it last 'til the 30th sounds good, I'll change the top post accordingly. I'm glad you like the idea, Judy!
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2008, 23:33:39 »

That reminds me, i have to speak to Art about the Development Awards 2008! We only have a few weeks untill the nomination rounds have to begin!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2008, 00:51:20 »

I'll have time to co-ordinate them this time Miraran! You won't be left to pick up my slack.

Decipher

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2008, 00:57:28 »

I've heard that one before you know ;)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2008, 01:03:37 »

buck You've hardly been 'Mr Activity' these days you know!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2008, 01:09:00 »

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Anyway, i didn't have an internet connection.. what was your excuse, huh? :P

Avrah Kehabhra

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2008, 01:13:40 »

Isn't your 101 Fungus uses already on the site, Judy? I thought we were talking about new submissions.

And end of January is quite long, I can't wait that long till I submit mine. And if the competition should be fair, those entries have to be delivered short after the other, for any who is already on the board can be topped easily, for you know how many links there are..

Another question: Does a link count, if it is a new word in the entry, but links to the same entry like another? Say, two different fungi would lead the the same 101 fungus entry.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2008, 01:16:52 »

Maybe we should wait until AFTER the development awards come out for this year?  Just so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle.  Then we have something to combat the "post Christmas blues" and time to work on this.  Just a thought.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2008, 01:27:08 »

Hmm, then I'm probably out or I have to wait five weeks with the delivery .
The problem is, that there are submission who scream for a lot of links and others just don't need this many. Is this fair?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2008, 04:42:39 »

The Fungus suggestion was a joke, Talia, relax!  My point was only that it references every fungus entry, of which there are more than a few, and a lot of receipts and other usages, so it does have a lot of separate 'unique' links, despite being all on the same theme.  It would also have scored well in the 'humour' category, I believe...  ;) Anyhow, back to the main idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's true that this idea would be better AFTER the nomination awards so we don't dilute our energy. Also, it's a contest - a little special idea to encourage activity - the concept is to get people to write something extra for fun, not compete with or distract from regular development.

I don't see how this would be unfair, if:

a) the 'rules' are posted ahead of time so that developers who want to participate can think about it
b) there is a set time period for people to work on their entries (say, the month of January)
c) all entries are NOT posted here for comment and critique as usual (this IS a contest!) but are put up on the deadline - OR are submitted to Art or someone who isn't participating for collection and posting all on the same day.
d) ....at which point they stay up for another week or two for voting with comments.   The sheer number of links shouldn't be the only deciding factor, but the creativity with which they have been integrated, as was originally concepted.

Sounds like fun to me...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.