Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Wyrek, Flying Animal  (Read 3458 times)
Tadius

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 13 January 2009, 07:59:56 »

Overview of the Beast:
Soaring with all the majesty nature can provide, the fierce and frightening Wyrek Falcon, can be seen swooping down with magnificently bone-crushing speed only to veer straight back up with awesome deftness and power as they clutch a rat in their mighty talons.  Among the largest of flying creatures in Caelereth the Wyrek is considered by many to be the epitome of power and beauty.

Appearance:
An average male adult Wyrek stands two peds high, while the female stands only slightly shorter.  A wing span of up to six peds and feathers reaching the size of a hawk's wing the Wyrek falcon can easily carry a Furno calf.

Their large talons, hooked beaks, and sheer massiveness may make for a frightening creature, but it is their beauty not size that captures the imaginations of poets around the world. These falcons go through what is known as a ‘white stage’. In which; as is implied by the name, the feathers are white. Whiter than the oldest dwarf’s beard the feathers which encompass the entirety of the falcon shimmer in sun light and at the fall of night stand out in contrast to the dark sky.  When at the end of winter the white stage is finished the feathers turn to a dark brown speckled with tiny white spots.

Unlike the glyph, a Wyrek is not a bulky or large bodied bird. Rather it is of the sleekest form which makes for much more dexterity and speed in the sky. While in flight the wings spread straight out from the body, and at about mid-wing they turn back sharply to allow for quick dives and turns.

Behind the deep black eyes of this great bird is reflected an uncanny intelligence that is often compared to the knowledgeable eyes of elven elders. The knowing eyes may in fact be the most frightening aspect of this very frightening beast.

Special Abilities:
Falcons are among the fastest of the skies predators, and the Wyrek is no exception. Powerful wings and a sleek form make it quite capable of flying at speeds exceeding any horse in the land, and diving so fast as to be on top of prey before they even register the falcon’s shadow. Just as most birds of prey, the Wyrek also has great eye sight, and is quite capable of observing almost every action on the ground from high up in the sky. These attributes make it one of the most adroit predators in all the world.

A keen intelligence also separates this predator of flight from most other animals of the sky or ground. Though there is no way of proving it, many believe this bird to have intellect to rival that of a human.

Territory:
During the spring and summer months the Wyrek resides and nests in the southeastern-most mountains of the Vindel Range flying south only to hunt, but in the fall the fly south to live out the winter on the coast of the Kanapan peninsula.

Habitat/Behavior:
If one is lucky enough to escape being sliced and chewed up by the talons and beak of this great aerial beast, and develop a friendship they are likely to discover that the falcon’s intelligence rivals their own in many ways. As such, the falcons have a very structured society in which there is leadership, and each has a specific duty to fulfill. They have even been known to practice a form in democracy in which each Wyrek walks up to the one he or she appears to choose as the leader, and in the end it is the Wyrek with the most votes that becomes the flock leader. Most often it is also the most powerful and intelligent of the falcons, and this offers the argument that they are in fact only weeding out their strongest as leader; in which case democracy is not a true factor.

Young and old Wyrek alike are very playful creatures, that enjoy playing games with each other. Their favorite seems to consist of isolating a single Wyrek and blocking its view as many others land and settle in hiding spots. After a short time has elapsed the isolated Wyrek is allowed to see again, and the hunt begins. From there, not only does the said falcon have to find its fellow birds, but it has to catch them before they make it back to the nesting grounds. Many other such games are often played out by these magnificent creatures.

Such playfulness does not, however, take away from the overall fierce nature of this king of the sky. Much to the dread of the Kanapan people, a group of Wyreks often singles out a full grown Furno, and in a sequence of brutal and painful aerial assaults they attack the poor animal until it has no fight left and finally dies. The worst of this is that they often kill this animal only to leave it to waist upon the Kanapan plain. This makes them one of nature’s only beasts that kills for the simple pleasure of such killing. This is not the only act of brutality as they have also been known to attack Kanapan men through the pecking out of eyes without leaving a single other scratch upon that person.

We've all heard stories of the bone chilling and incapacitating fear that conquers even the bravest of men who stand between a dragon and its treasure. Would you like to know how that feels? You need not search out a distant cave for this dragons treasure, but simply put, all you need to do is wonder up to a nest of Wyrek chicks. You'll scarcely be close enough to touch one, and a heart stopping screech will likely freeze you in you tracks. A mother Wyrek is among the most territorial of all creatures, and cases have been recorded when such a Wyrek has killed even its own mate for coming too close to its young.

Yet another bewildering behavior of these great birds is their apparent affinity for simple pleasures.  Each nest could better be described as a round house, as it has only one way in or out and its interior is somewhat furnished and decorated. Many shiny things stolen from the Kanapan people adorn the walls. Each bird of the 'household' will have their own resting place that sits raised about a ped off of the floor. As you can imagine these homes can be quite large, and are quite correlated to the number of falcons in a family.

Each Wyrek is expected to attribute to the society as a whole. In fact, each has a very distinct job. The jobs include hunters-soldiers, stick and twig gatherers, nest repairbirds, and supervising or governing positions. Only the leader has the privilege of a lax and care free life. It has been observed that a Wyrek who shuns any of these duties is outcast from the society ever to be on its own in a world that hates and is scared of these beasts of air.

As earlier mentioned, the leader enjoys a life of relaxation and privilege, but this is not to say that he has no duties. His sole duty is to be the first bird in line during the course of an attack. For this reason the leaders often live privileged, but short lives. Also for this reason the leaders are often replaced as they age or weaken. No one wants a weak being at the front of their attack!

Thus far the ferocity of the birds has been made clear, but we can not fail to mention the truly peaceful nature of the Wyrek as a whole. This may seem contradictory to earlier definitions of their nature, but hopefully the meaning can be cleared up. The Wyrek is fierce, but not warsome. A very low reproduction rate does not allow for them to consistently lose numbers in battle. They will not usually attack unless threatened or hungry,and the exceptions are young falcons that have not learned the value of peace to their continued existence. As a whole the do not need more land or space than they have, because their population does not grow overall. Some years it will shrink, and others it will grow. This makes fore an overall stable and constant population.

Poetry On/About the Wyrek:
"To the Wyrek"
Feathered dragon of the sky!
Awe-inspiring in your flight
You soar on your pinions broad
To challenge Injera’s height!

You attack your helpless prey
Like a demon of the air!
Though it’s worshipped as a god
Its power can not compare!

The great Wyrek’s majesty
Dominates the mountain high!
Swiftest flier on the wind,
Ruler of the Northern sky!

-Alysse-

Diet:
As with most falcons, the primary prey is other birds of the sky, but the also hunt rats, mice, and even Furno.The favorite delicacy of these giants is bone marrow and eye meat.

Mating:
The mating ritual of the Wyrek is quite interesting. The Wyrek is a completely monogamous animal that picks its mate based on size. Each generation goes through a mate selection process at the age of four in which the females and males line up directly across from each other. At the age of four females are as large as males, as it isn't until about the age of five that males outsize their counterparts. Each female will walk up the line of males in turn until they reach a male that is of equal or taller height. The tallest female will pick first, and thus will the order go until the female ranks are exhausted. For some reason unknown to any researcher there are more males then females in every generation. The males that are not selected will for ever more be twig collectors. Every sign points towards the twig collector being the lowest class among the Wyrek.

Myth/Lore:
To the Kanapan people, the Furno is a god. Inversely, the Wyrek is a demon or devil. Often it is referred by the Kanapan as 'The Sky's Curse'. As with most names of this type there is a story behind it, and it is told among the Kanapan as follows:

Many years ago there was only small beautifully white birds in the sky, and these birds were called,'Sweetsongs'. They sat upon the shoulders of the mighty Furno and sang songs of such beauty as to make the gods dance. These birds were very loved by the Furno, and the birds in turn loved the gods. A man by the name of Thurge hated these songs, for he was a very evil man.

One day, Thurge grew so tired of the song's sweet tune that he developed a plan to stop the songs for ever. As he walked up to the most beautiful of the birds he said, "I would have a word with thee oh most beautiful of the sky's creatures." Now the birds name was, Layi, and she was very proud of her great beauty, thus did she allow the flattery of Thurge's words to win her over. Soon Thurge had convinced her that if she was to stay for ever beautiful she must eat her fellow creatures of song.

In her lust for beauty she did exactly as Thurge had told her, and for each bird she ate she grew double. Thurge was happy with his success, and with the same words of flattery he convinced even 200 of these sweet birds to eat their fellows. Thus they became 201 great white birds of such size as to be larger than a man.

The gods were angry with these birds, for music no longer filled their ears. In their anger they took the darkness of Thurge's heart and cast it upon the once unblemished white of the birds' feathers. Thus they were cursed to spend half the year in the ugly cloak of brown, an even in their whiteness they will be blemished with the darkness of Thurge's cruel heart.

The darkness of Thurge's heart not only changed the color of these birds, but it changed their very nature. Where a pleasant little beak had once been now grew a horrible beak of curved shape. Great talons popped out of their once gracefull and small feet. Worst of all was the replacement of their sweet song with a shrill shriek that haunts the nightmares of Kanapan children. The birds blamed the humans for their loss in beauty, and ever more did hatred exists between man and the evil Wyrek.

« Last Edit: 17 January 2009, 07:52:08 by Tadius » Logged

"Nothing teaches us better than literature to see, in ethical and cultural differences, the richness of human patrimony, and to prize those differences as a manifestation of humanities multi-faceted creativity." -Mario Vargas Llosa-
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2009, 08:30:57 »

I would like to see a brief mention of who rides this in the overview. Other then that, good luck!

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2009, 09:51:30 »

Please remove 'Dwarves'.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2009, 10:28:20 »

Also, if it can carry elves, I doubt it could carry Brownies. And they already have their own mounts, so they don't need a bigger and probably hard to ride mount.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2009, 18:53:36 »

Yeah, it's going to be pretty impossible to train something that big when you're only 15 nailsbreaths high - you'd just get stepped on. However, if you wanted to write a anecdote about a load of Brownies failing to tame one (and probably getting eaten/never being seen again) that might work :).

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2009, 19:44:40 »

Please read my comment in the other thread!

How can you know, that it flies 60 strals per hour, and 75 while diving? Who has measured it? Wingspan you can get always from one dead bird, but speed? I think you need to use only terms like very fast, faster than, diving even faster than flying. Or give an example where a special individual was seen at one point at morning and at another at midday?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2009, 04:54:26 »

You may want to look at my Bear entry, where I was forced to deal with the matter of speed- its the Rimmerin Bear, under wild animals, bears.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Tadius

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2009, 08:57:28 »

Thank you all for your commentary and help. I have done my best to integrate your comments thus far. I do ask all to remember, however, that this is still a work in progress, and I have many details to work out before I am ready to throw it up for critique. My creative mind works best when it is allowed to work freely first, and then be critiqued and changed afterwards.

Thanks,
Tad

"Nothing teaches us better than literature to see, in ethical and cultural differences, the richness of human patrimony, and to prize those differences as a manifestation of humanities multi-faceted creativity." -Mario Vargas Llosa-
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2009, 09:48:54 »

Well, most times people post their stuff because they want some ideas/critique from others before they invest too much time. Why else would you post it otherwise, it could stay on your comp as well.
It is however not a bad idea for newbies to post their stuff early, to prevent that they put a lot of work into things which cannot be integrated as they wish.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Tadius

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2009, 01:12:50 »

Thank you, Talia, and I am sorry if I sounded ungrateful in my last post. I appreciate the commentary very much. I suppose that it doesn't hurt to have the input of all as I go, as this will likely save me a lot of trouble in the end. You must forgive me, for I have never been a part of a group of creators like this, and therefore; I am not accustomed to the group editing process.  crazy

Thanks,
Tad

Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2009, 01:29:49 »

Hello, Tad. I critique in this color.

Overview of the Beast:
Soaring with all the majesty nature can provide; the fierce and frightening Wyrek Falcon can be seen swooping down with magnificently bone-crushing speed. They then veer straight back up with awesome deftness and power after clutch a prey in their mighty talons.  Among the largest of flying creatures in Caelereth the Wyrek is considered by many to be the epitome of power and beauty. The opening to that paragraph was a run-on sentence. I fixed that for you.

Appearance:
An average male adult Wyrek stands two peds high, while the female only slightly smaller stands at about 1 and nine tenth peds. We don't use decimals in Santharia. Also, single spacing only. These great birds have a wingspan of up to six peds. Some feathers reach the size of a hawk's wing. All this makes for a bird that can easily carry a Furno calf.

Their large talons, hooked beak, and their sheer massiveness make for a frightening creature. However, it is their beauty, not size that captures the imaginations of poets around the world. These falcons go through what is known as a "white stage" in which as is implied by the name their feathers are white. Whiter than the oldest dwarf’s beard the feathers which encompass the body of the falcon shimmer in sunlight. At the coming of night these gorgeous birds contrast well against the dark sky.At the end of thier first winter, the white stage is finished. then the feathers turn to a dark brown which is speckled with tiny white spots.

Unlike the Gryph, the Wyrek is not a bulky or large bodied bird. Rather, it is of the sleekest form which makes for much more dexterity and speed in the sky. While in flight the wings spread straight out from the body; at about mid-wing they turn back sharply to allow for quick dives and turns.

Behind the deep black eyes of this great bird there is an uncanny intelligence reflected. This deep sagely wisdom is often compared to the knowledgeable eyes of elven elders. The knowing eyes of the bird may in fact be the most frightening aspect of these creatures.

Special Abilities:
Falcons are among the fastest of the sky's (Skies is plural.) predators, and the Wyrek is no exception. Powerful wings and a sleek form make it quite capable of flying at speeds exceeding any horse on land. They are capable of diving so fast that the bird is almost on top of prey before the shadow of this mighty beast is even registered. Just as most birds of prey, the Wyrek also has great eye sight, and is quite capable of observing almost every action on the ground from high up in the sky. These attributes make it one of the most adroit predators in all the world.

A keen intelligence also separates this predator of flight from most others of the animal kingdom. ?? I don't think we have scientific classifcation on Santharia. How about this: A keen intelligence seperates this flying predator from most other animals. Though there is no way of proving it, many believe this bird to have intelligence rivaling that of humans. I'll leave off here since I'm kinda pressed for time. I will give it another look over at a later date. I wish you the best.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2009, 02:55:52 »

Tad, you did not, I just wanted to point out that thing for you. Keep in mind, that I often do not sound as I intended to, I do not have available the skill to express fine nuances like a native speaker.

@ Lorek: Good you took the time to do such a thorough check :)
However, it is not needed in this state of that work. It does still have the pencil icon on. Only if a submission has the exclamationmark and an author wants to have a closer look, we do urichecks. Now it is only needed to point at big, possible not matching issues. Especially if Tad wants to work on is own for a while.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2009, 02:56:26 »

title still sais "riding animal"!

(Computer still sais no ;))
« Last Edit: 15 January 2009, 02:58:48 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tadius

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2009, 07:50:32 »

Right you are, Miraran. That'll have to be changed! grin

Tad

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2009, 23:40:12 »

What do you think of this, Tadius?

To the Wyrek—for Tadius

Feathered dragon of the sky!
Awe-inspiring in your flight
You soar on your pinions broad
To challenge Injera’s height!

You attack your helpless prey
Like a demon of the air!
Though it’s worshipped as a god
Its power can not compare!

The great Wyrek’s majesty
Dominates the mountain high!
Swiftest flier on the wind,
Ruler of the Northern sky!

Okay, so I'm no bard, but hopefully this effort will meet with your approval.   You can attribute it to one of the researchers who was impressed by the beauty of the creatures it you like.

Alysse

« Last Edit: 16 January 2009, 00:06:23 by Alysse the Likely » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 82
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.