Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A wee question..  (Read 3435 times)
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« on: 01 June 2009, 10:31:48 »

Hiya Artists,

I've been admiring your work for a very long time now. Unfortunately my own artwork is not even close to up to scratch to make propper artwork for the Compendium. None the less, I have vivid images of how I picture the things I make entries about, or read up on. Thanks to these, and in an attempt to search into the depths of my character, Jonael Tomeskrift, I have came up with an image which I thought nicely represented parts of him.

Jonael Tomeskrift ConceptBoard

This is of course more of a paste-together of the different pieces of concept I really liked and hoped would make part of Jonael. Obviously the crafts and styles of clothing do not yet concurr with any specific tradition/style of Caelereth, that's what further modification and reasearch will go into. The very rough idea is to have Jonael be a researcher of blacksmithing/engineering (equivalent) for the compendium.  

For now though, (and I understand that painting someone else's work is quite a sensitive topic amongst artists, but I just had to post this out there out of curiosity and hope that the inspiration could possibly spark on the light of someone else) "I wanted to ask if any of the artists out there would be interested in painting Jonael Tomeskrift in their own style which is appropriate for the Compandium?" Obviously they would have freedom of altering detail which is not essential to Jonael's character, etc.

I understand I would first have to come up with an entry and all, do plenty of research.. and this will all be done over time. For now I just thought I'd enquire around a bit, haha

Ta much,

Your Jonael

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2009, 13:55:47 »

Oh, I'm always up for a character... though I'm not one of the professionals who do character sketches.  I can't promise you a time, as I have three pieces on the go atm and MUST finish them first.  As Artimidor is prone to remind me, I'm prone to leaving things about 95 % finished, so this time I'm going to wrap up the WIPs before I start something new. 

But honestly, I'd love to do Jonael - working over a concept is exactly my style, as I always use reference photos and sketchup models and make no secret of it.  So please, if you like my style, pick me!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2009, 15:02:54 »

There are some things that still await some input of yours, Judy, like... Colour Palette *cough*... Elen's story *cough*... Dove pic for next update hopefully... *cough* - Just try to do one at a time, or you drown in your own creativity ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2009, 00:12:26 »

"As Artimidor is prone to remind me, I'm prone to leaving things about 95 % finished, so this time I'm going to wrap up the WIPs before I start something new."

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2009, 00:51:35 »

Bard you keep coming up with these great pics but then leave us hanging.  It is like watching the beginning of a movie and then having it shut off halfway through.  Or another comparison, it is like watching LOST. Hehe   cry

I only bring this up because I am excited to see the end result...... Swamp, Knight overlooking city, Elven Lass, Monsonius.....  Plus I want to learn from how you handle the comments you receive.

As for me I have my own list I am working on, I need to finish up Gouran and the Elven city.  I have some other plans in the work. 

Jonael, lately it appears only Judith and I have been active on this forum.  And between the two of us I have to admit I think she would be the better choice.  I don't think my style would fit the kind of character you want.   However if you give me a list of other things you have created I may be interested in developing a pic for something else.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2009, 01:26:01 »

Ha, finally someone who knows LOST :) *pats Seeker on the back* But maybe that's what Judy's going for - making the wait for the end result even more interesting by teasing endlessly... lol

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2009, 01:37:14 »

Aww, grin I'm so glad the response is so positive, thank you all so much.

@Judith, I'd be honoured to have you attempt Jonael. That you'll do a fantastic job at it goes without saying, after all you brought to life my Saltstalker Heron a while back. It was a fantastic piece! I do not remember the feedback and modification process going nothing but smooth as silk, so I fondly look forward to Jonael's portrait.

As for the matter of time, as I might have mentioned, this was just a pitch into the dark. There is absolutely no hurry or rush. I can wait for eons if need be, as long as I know that things are in motion and rolling along.

@Seeker, Indeed for the past couple of weeks I have been admiring both Judy's and your work greatly ^^ I'm really greatful you'd have a look at some of my material. For now though, if my mathematics does not abandon me, I only have 2 entries up, one of which already has an Illustration to it, haha. A lot of the ideas come up when reading through other researchers' entries.. and since its not my own work I am a little reserved about coming out with these ideas. We'll see, I'll keep your offer in mind, it is greatly apreciated grin

@Artimidor, When looking up the Saltstalker entry in the compendium, the illustration Judy made for it did not appear. Is there a reason behind this? It was a lovely image..

« Last Edit: 02 June 2009, 01:41:19 by Jonael » Logged

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2009, 01:55:03 »

Looks like the Saltstalker got LOST too.   grin  Add it to the List Judy. Whip

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2009, 02:05:58 »

Talia had concerns with the background, which isn't how she imagined the saltpans (see comment in the mentioned thread). And then Mr. J. wasn't around anymore for a while to put pressure on Judy to change the background... :P

BTW: Still love that background - should find its way into another entry!

Oh, and I have a Santharian LOST anecdote:

When I wanted to do the Univited module for Santhworld, it was planned that our dear artist Faugar actually helps illustrate it a bit. Planned were some comic-like drawings, and no pictures at all (or very few) from the Thief game (where I've eventually used screenshots). Faugar recommended a movie in his mail, and so I wrote to him that he should watch LOST if he's looking for something great. Three weeks no reply, and I got the Univited module done by now all by myself. It is already uploaded, people checked it out etc., all done. Finally I get a response mail from Faugar: "So when can was do that Uninvited thing? Sorry, was busy watching 4 seasons of LOST..." lol

Well, guess he still owes me a pic or two! ;)

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2009, 04:30:38 »

lol   grin   thats great. 

Reminds me I have 3-4 episodes recorded I need to get to. 

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2009, 20:44:36 »

(giggles @ Art)  In this case it was all your fault that he got 'lost' for a while...

Personally I've been distracted by a wonderful download experience called 'Free Realms'...   what a great game!  Quest after interlocking quest in a 3D environment that you can run around in....    http://www.freerealms.com/character/profile.action#character/5427547016345016193

Sorry about the Saltstalker.  I was a bit sullen about that one, because I put a lot of work into researching and then creating the background at the time, and didn't at all feel like having to redo the whole thing.  Anyhow... does it live anywhere else than the Gadi saltpans, because I'm still not inspired to change the art. 

You know, once in a while people could change a few words or phrases here and there to save an artist a great deal of effort - it's not as if I don't try to integrate people's comments, work to the description, and so on...  (sulks away and decides to go work on Frock Coat for a while - or maybe Monsonius)

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2009, 22:03:03 »

Sorry about the Saltstalker.  I was a bit sullen about that one, because I put a lot of work into researching and then creating the background at the time, and didn't at all feel like having to redo the whole thing.  Anyhow... does it live anywhere else than the Gadi saltpans, because I'm still not inspired to change the art.

Mhm.. As it stands, the Saltstalker only lives on the saltpans. A lot of its features, its adaptations to the harsh environment kind of restrict it I think, but if anyone has any ideas as to where to extend their territory to, I'm all ears ^^

Even if nothign is found though, I still think the illustration is nice and appropriate as it is.. I'm sure there'll come a time when detail like the background can be modified. Until then we could just leave it?
« Last Edit: 02 June 2009, 22:05:04 by Jonael » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1097
Latest: ahlycnlys01
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 12
Online Ever: 700
(23 January 2020, 20:05:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)