Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Funeral Ideas  (Read 7037 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« on: 27 June 2009, 01:47:42 »

So thinking of doing an entry on funerals in Santh, and those who go about presiding over them. May just start with Eyelians, but probably not :p
I'm thinking of starting the project by making a group, the Undertakers, summit' like that. You know, some sort of Guild of Gravediggers and what not. Just wanted to get the attention of anyone with a particular intrest in this, to get some ideas brewing.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2009, 01:56:13 »

Strictly speaking, the grave diggers and undertakers might not have the same guild.
Assuming they did however. It would be called the Ancient and Venerable Order of Corpse-Handlers and Corpse-Planters.

I'd like to see at least one tribe burn their dead. Or carry them off on carts.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2009, 02:27:45 »

My plan is to outline funeral traditions for the Kyranians at a later days as I'm 'technically not active'. But when I do an extended version of the holidays, festivals, and observances section plan on adding funerals, wedding, and other such things.

Anyways, as to the idea as a whole, it looks like something that would be difficult as all the tribes have different backgrounds, culture, and religious preferences so pinpointing a certain funeral tradition would be hard.

There are many different ways of doing this to effectively damage the differences between the tribes that are there even though they are all under one banner. I only see an attempt to mix all the idea and possible cultural/religious traditions together just ending badly. Just doing an entry on a specific tribes funeral traditions would be difficult because things also change depending on region.

Start small. Work on the Eyelians. With three different clans and a great deal of land you're bound to have different traditions. Some Eyelians in the north-east might share traditions with the Caltharians in the area?

Gotta take into account the tribe, culture, religion, physical area/territory, and neighbors.

Just my opinions. Got plans for the Kyranians so if ya end up doing this I'd appreciate it if ya left them out of the grouping.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2009, 02:37:02 by Garret Arroway » Logged

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2009, 03:13:02 »

Assuming one starts with the various Eyelian clans, I think they might leave the bodies exposed to the elements. Maybe let them decay somewhere private until nothing but the bones are left and then bury the bones.

Darbul Runestained
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

Written In Stone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2009, 03:26:07 »

Doesn't Queprur have strictures about how to handle the dead? If so, all followers of the Twelve will be abiding to those already.

A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2009, 03:35:21 »

Anyone worships Queprur when it comes to death, the own one or the  death of any acquaintances, but while there are priests or monks in any bigger hamlet to serve her needs she is not well-liked by most mortals of Santharia and though tolerated her followers are not as respected as most other temples of the Twelve.
[...]
The priests of Queprur are usually called to bury the dead in blessed soil. This is however only the human view on it as they fear that a soul whose body is not buried in blessed soil might escape the grasp of Queprur's gryph and haunt the mortals. While the human burial ceremony strictly buries the dead in the earth to bind the body to Queprur's realm, the  elves seek in their rites to free the soul completely from the world.
Note the vagueness? The belief appears to be that if you plant a corpse in the right soil it's all good. What happens before, during and after the burial is left open in that sense.

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2009, 03:49:05 »

So no burning of the bodies. But there are still bound to be different traditions. The burial of a soldier might be different than that of a common baker. Just my take on it. I could be wrong (I'm probably wrong ...).

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2009, 04:27:44 »

Doubt you're wrong :)
And the definition of blessed soil? Very loose. Maybe Eyelian view all soil as "blessed". After all, they are not worshippers of Queprur. Maybe you could burn the body so long as the ashes were scattered in blessed soil, or the urn marked with a glyph?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2009, 05:49:09 »

Nsiki, please, don't. Not again a project which is number too big. I would not want to do it myself on such a big scale. I fully agree with Garret, that each tribe should have its own funeral ritual, though some can be melted together in border areas or they might be different in great cities. There a different custom might have evolved.

Please, stay to the Eyelians and ask Capher to work with you.

@Valan
I'd like to see at least one tribe burn their dead. Or carry them off on carts.

Right, me too - but there are so much more possibilities and I would like to see something NEW
« Last Edit: 27 June 2009, 05:52:54 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2009, 06:00:58 »

Freezing them in big blocks of ice wasn't "new" enough for you, Talia? :P

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2009, 06:01:45 »

Like I've been promisin' everyone, I'll be workin' on "_______" (Fill in blank with Kyranians, Aohu'o, Wargs, or Hounds depending on who ya are) when I get back.

I'm planning on getting some Kyranian stuff rolling with Dek when I return to the states, if I can keep away with all these new ideas I'm gettin'. I'll now be thinking more on this for interesting ideas. And non-human stuff, my current Aohu'o entry has a bit bout deaths/funerals.

But like I said, Nsiki, dig into the area you've started to work in and figure that out as it's gonna be hard enough as it is. Look at the area and figure out what the ground is like ... maybe this one village makes a trek to an ancient burial grounds thats (blank) strals away to burry their dead, or something ... Be creative, somewhat logical, and make sure you look at every possible detail to drag some similarities and differences among traditions ...

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2009, 06:29:22 »

Altario, it was, but that was at least a year ago! Time for a new "something new" ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Darbul Runestained
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

Written In Stone

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2009, 10:26:38 »

I've got yer' funeral pyres right here!

A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 June 2009, 11:30:06 »

The Darkling Brownies I believe returned their dead to the oil lakes, if I remember the discussions correctly.

The thing is, I think no matter how you think of doing something, someone has probably done it already.
Embalming? Egyptians right through to us. Formaldahyde technically counts.
Mumification? Funeral Pyres? Inca, Vikings.
The only one I can't be sure of at the moment is people eating their own dead. And frankly, that would be just a leeetle off in my opinion.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2009, 12:42:05 »

The way that David Eddings had the assassins of his Angarak Murgos kill their slaves was interesting.

They would take them out into the desert surrounding their city in the mountain and break both of their legs. Then, at night, lions would come out and eat the dead bodies.

Maybe one of the more isolated tribes (I'm thinking orcs here, sorry Mr Wargrider ... I'm truly not trying to work against your efforts to bring a new vision of the orcs to life) could let their wargs and even members of their own tribe eat the dead orcs. Of course, that then could lead to a new Santharia saying, aimed at those orcs who refuse to do so, "how do ya expect to grow up big and strong if ya don't eat ya greens?"

evil

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.