Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Netherswimmer pic  (Read 2041 times)
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« on: 08 July 2009, 12:29:38 »

Alright I were hopin' ter add this to the Netherswimmer entry as part of the research section. I were thinkin' it would be a personal picture that the researcher Bobhei Nlan did in his Journal. Please let me know yer thoughts on do-ability, or what i should fix.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2009, 07:18:39 by Grendal Thornfist » Logged

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2009, 04:10:13 »

Well, you said in the other thread that you "were aimin' fer a novice look".... *haha* Sounds like you usually draw professional stuff and had to try hard to make it look it more amateurish... ;)

Anyway, this surely cannot compare to other pictures we have on the site, so it needs work in the one way or the other I'd say. A possibility I could suggest is to try to put what you have on a piece of parchment, make it halfway transparent, like I did e.g. at Altario's game - that would give it a more defined sketch character and would perhaps fit the drawing better. Don't know how it might turn out, but I thought I should mention it.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2009, 07:17:31 »

Hah no, I definitly don't do professional. What I meant was that if it were to be a personal pic that Bobhei had done then it wouldn't be a masterpiece. I'll play around with yer idea though, try and give it that personal touch. Though if I end up scrappin' the idea I'll not cry, just thought I would try my hand at it.

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2009, 10:39:45 »

The key to make it work is to make it look like it is drawn on a piece of parchment or paper.  I guess this is what Art is suggestiong. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2009, 14:06:02 »

Grendal: I think the posterization filter you threw on to it has made it look... off. As for the parchment, it's an easy enough effect to achieve. It comes down to the right starting colour and liberal but careful application of a burn tool for one method, or whatever Artimidor used to achieve the brilliant effect he has on that Awl picture.

To go off topic for a moment:
@ Artimidor: I can't seem to think for the life of me how you did that. You've given me a challenge here Artimidor. As best I can tell, some of it is just really clever use of the eraser tool, and the edges have been burned a little bit more than the center. I'm no artist though, strictly photo-manipulation or stick figures.

Back on topic:
What Artimidor is suggesting you do is that you take the original image (what you have up there) make it a little on the transparant side, enough so that when placed over the wonderful piece of parchment (I'd be happy to make one) the "texture" will show through. You could do this the easy way, whereby you simply adjust the transparancy of the "salamander" layer when it's superimposed on the "parchment" or you could mess around with the blending options. (I'm assuming you've used a version of photoshop here. I used gimp for all of three minutes once upon a midnight and don't remember much, only that I thought that photoshop was cooler, but that GIMP was pretty awesome in it's own right.) I'd be happy to help by the way!

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2009, 22:45:06 »

Valan, any help ye want ter give would be appreciated. I really not that great of an artist meself but the photo manipulation is really new to me. That was another reason fer doing this, something relatively simple ter kinda get the hang of things. At least a bit.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2009, 23:52:53 »

Well, assuming the attachment works, this is a quick throw together of the picture as is on "parchment". I got bored and started messing around.

I've also apparently missed some bits of parchment while I was erasing, so they're sort of floating there at the moment. The grey/white checkered background is not conducive to finding ting bits of beige.

Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2009, 00:36:30 »

Alrighty here is what I were workin' on. The first is in my opinion a slightly better base image, the second is added onto parchment. If'n ye want ter play with the base image a bit be my guest. I also have a copy of the second without the shadow.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 01:59:23 by Grendal Thornfist » Logged

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2009, 04:41:58 »

And here's my attempt: parchment stock photo, with the Netherswimmer image on the top layer, much of it erased with a large soft brush. Little bits of dodge, burn to add shadows, etc.
Opinions?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2009, 04:55:21 »

Grendal  I am thinking the second pic you posted with the parchment background has the most potential.  What concerns me the most is the blue background clashes somewhat with the color of the parchment (with the color of any parchment).  Perhaps it can be changed to a muddier brownish color.

If it is on a separate layer you can have some fun playing with color balances and it would be easy to change.

Nsiki i think the transparent look doesn't really work, but it was a good idea to try.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2009, 05:39:21 »

I think all the various versions posted here have their merit... :)

The second Grendal picture of course has a cool parchment border, which is always great to make it look really ancient. Nsiki's parchment looks pretty good, but doesn't have the border, and the Netherswimmer isn't there in full. And in Grendal's version the beast looks too pasted. Plus you both didn't try (or not enough) to make the Netherswimmer itself somewhat transparent to blend into the picture, that usually works best in my experience.  And if I look at Valan's picture it interestingly makes the most complete impression... lol

So a really tough choice... grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2009, 05:50:25 »

More like this mebbe. I'm still tryin' ter get the transparency down, enough to show through but not too washed out.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 05:53:24 by Grendal Thornfist » Logged

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2009, 08:29:34 »

Art I am glad you posted that last note.  You are correct, all the ideas have merit.  Reading my post back I think I came across a bit rude.   

Grendal, yep I like that brownish background better.  If you flipped the background to be landscape it would fit the Netherswimmer better too. 

Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2009, 13:06:32 »

Flipped. I forgot to save the layers so I had to play with what I had, kinda put it all together again. That is what ye meant right Seeker?
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 13:08:45 by Grendal Thornfist » Logged

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2009, 13:43:45 »

Part of the problem Grendal might be that you're saving it as a Jpeg I seem to think that they don't preserve transparency (so you get the nasty border of white) If you want, I could actually put the two together.

@Artimidor: I think it's the drop shadow. It'd be easy enough to put together for Grendal. given the layers I could do it easily.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.