Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: People of Antislar- Iol Peninsula- Northern Sarvonia  (Read 5133 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 17 October 2009, 11:49:42 »

People of Antislar

Overview
One of the earliest races of men in the north, these people were originally referred to as the Icefolk, a people who inhabited the area of the Icelands Coast region of Northern Sarvonia.  Brutalized during the War of the Chosen, they persevered and survived the extreme environments of the north.   With the coming of the Kanapans from the south, they separated from the Ice Tribes, emigrating to the Iol Peninsula.  When the Third Sarvonian War came, these people joined the Darkfriends and waged war against those races from the south, as well as the Ice Tribes.

The ensuing centuries have seen them in countless wars with their main nemesis, the Remusians, which has created a culture unique to the Icelands.  Their ruling monarchs are considered divine, but it is the temple priests that hold the true power.  Pragmatic, they do not share the Ice Tribe convictions when it comes to isolation and actively pursue knowledge.  They trade with orcs and humans alike, as well as the other races.  Power is their ultimate goal.

In truth, they are the most advanced out of the northern human tribes.  Though, whether that makes them an ally of the Kingdom of Santharia, and thus all the races of good, is still questionable.  Many scholars, and military leaders, still worry that they await the next coming of the shadow.

Appearance
The People of Antislar are not the dark, swarthy figures of the Ice Tribes.  Having not bred with the Kanapan incursion in 9000 BS, the people of Antislar have more or less kept their Icefolk appearance.  They average nearly 2 peds in height, with the majority of people blonde haired and blue or green eyed.  There are elements of their society that are darker in appearance, but they are not held in as high esteem.  These darker people are often regarded as Remunapans, a derogatory term that combines Remusian and Kanapan. They are assumed to have impure blood in them, either Remusian or Kanapan ancestry.

The above description only refers to the full blooded majority of the Antislar.  This by no means includes the many mixed peoples of orcen, or elvish decent.  In this minority of people, many different variations in skin, hair and eyes can be found.  The Ice Elf mix of Antislar typically have very light features, with hair and skin almost white, and eyes of the coldest blue.  They are tall, even more so than the average Antislar, but lean more toward the thin side.   Half-elves are the rarest of the Antislar mixed ancestory.

The half orc mixture on the other hand, are usually thicker in build, with a shorter stature.  Their skin is usually a light shade of greyish green.  Very few have the typical red or yellow eyes, as the Rhom-oc who comprise most of the orc blood in the Antislar, do not have a prominent red or yellow eye colour.  Many half orcs have brown eyes and darker hair.  In order to distinguish themselves from the Remunapans, the darker half orcs will usually wear a cosmetic greenish grey paste on their face, if they do not have other obvious orcen features.

Coat of Arms
The People of Antislar have a Coat of Arms that is a two faced profile, the two-faced deity known as Koraya. 

Territory
Antislar if found in the extreme northern edges of the continent of Sarvonia, at the base of the Iol Peninsula, between the Iceland Coast in the east and Caaehl'heroth to the west.  Antislar itself is bordered on the east by the Bay of Calinth, south to the border with Remusia at the Mantle River.  From there, across the nothern reaches of the Heaths of Wilderon, it crosses westward to the Gulf of Oh'Cant'Aewlwyn and the delta of the Camlyn River.  The gulf forms the western boundary of Antislar.  Antislar reaches as far north as the Tors of the Wind and Lofty Lake.

Most of the population of Antislar live south of Mt. Ashtvin.  North, beyond this, most of the people are in small outposts along the way to Lofty Lake.  This forms a chain for traders and hunters to stop in while making their way north in spring or south in fall.  Often poor lawless places, these settlements can be particularly rough.

It must be noted, that in this area, along the coast of the Gulf of Oh'Cant'Aewlwyn is an area known as the Isthmus of Doom.  The Antislar people do not claim this area, and for the most part, stay out of this hostile and dangerous land.

People
Passionate.  This word can definitely be used to accurately describe the Antislar people.  They live life to the fullest and enjoy it.  They put a lot of gusto into how they live, even though most people are poor.  Any chance it seems, to hold a festival or celebration is taken where good food, good friends and god drink can be pertaken to the sounds of musicians and singers.  Even greetings are grand displays, where each person places their faces cheek to cheek on each side, representing the two faces of Koraya. 

The People of Antislar can be described as a very industrious people.  Everything they put their collective minds to, they seem to somehow find a way to do.  Some claim this is because of their past, and the troubles they have had.  Their cities are magnificent, and have the promise of even more splendor in the future.  They put a lot of energy into the beautification of their cities with tall sprires on many buildings and ornate architecture.

These people are also one of the closest tribes to the orcs.  They actively seek out trade with the orcs, practice no descrimination towards them, and in fact, intermarry quite commonly with them.  It has been estimated that fully one quarter of the population has some orc blood in them.  Still, this human-orc heritage is not a seperate entity as with other people of mixed ancestory.  They are all considered "the people".

As well, there is a small percentage of people who have Ice Elf blood in them, from trading with the elves in northern Iol.  This is by far the smallest of the racial minorities in Antislar.  Most of these unions are made by the Rangers who patrol the northern fringes of Antislar territory.  It seems that the Ice Elves have accepted into their societies a number of these Rangers over the years who have shown an affinity to nature that most humans of any race have achieved.  They have been welcomed into the elven society as, perhaps not equals but, special guests afforded all the liberties of tribe members.  It is this level of fratrinization that has allowed certain unions to occur.

The children of these unions are accepted by both the elves and the Antislar, though they are encouraged to live in the human cities.  It is not a matter of bigotry that the elves encourage this, nor do they do so in any verbal way.  It simply comes down to the fact that these half-elves tend to think more like humans than elf and would feel more at home among the humans until such time as they are old enough to choose to join elven society and learn the elven or ranger ways.

This disparate cultural amalgamation has created a language for the Antislar that is often hard for non natives to pick up on.  Very hard to master, it is a combination of Tharian, Kuglimz, Orcal, Ice Tribe and Styrash.  The Antislar themselves are proficient in all these languages, but in speaking to each other often jump between the languages, combining words and phrases into a near gibberish to those not fluent in it.
Housing and Architecture
Typical Antislar homes are round in design, built of wattle and daub; a mixture of water, dirt and animal dung, most of this in the form of horse, paxen or cancu sheep.  The walls are only around two peds high, with the conical thatch roof providing the majority of the height.  

Antislar communities are set up around a central square.  Streets are narrow, irregular and bordered by taller buildings.  Markets fan out from city center, each street specializing in its own wares.  One street might be dedicated to fish vendors and butchers selling cuts of meat, while another street might have an array of blacksmiths selling everything from weapons to jewellry.

The square in Antis stands Caeltakkar’s Piller, a memorial to the general who led forces during SWIII.  He held the mines in the Tandala highlands, thus allowing armies from the north to pour into Southern Sarvonia.

Other communities include Freyich, a resort built on a hot spring and is a popular getaway for the army and rich, which is populated by prostitutes.  Found on the south end of Mount Ashtvin, it is the largest of Antislar communities outside of Antis itself.

Clothing
Clothing worn: discern between men/women if possible and seasons perhaps..

Food
Any special foods they eat. Take into account the circumstances they're living in.

Weapons
Weapons - any special ones they use? Or what are the most common among the tribe? Describe them here!

Occupations

Government
Describe what form, e.g. Monarchy, Democratic, Republic, Emperor, Tribal, Tyranny, ect.

Production/Trade
What does the tribe mainly produce and is there any trading with other tribes?

Natural Resources
The majestic Camlyn River digs sharp bare faced gorges in the north, before slowing down and winding down to the Gulf of Oh’Cant’Aelwyn.  It is this ribbon of turqouise coloured water running through a rocky landscape of alternate white or green that is the basis of the Antislar economy.  For it is the Camlyn that provides the route to the rich wilderness of Northern Iol.  Fur traders have used this route for hundreds of years to reach lands where the elusive, but profitable, Living Fur can be found.  Named Living Fur, from a shy creature that lives in the north of Iol, the fur has the ability to blend in with its environment.  White against a snowy background, or green in summer, it is valuable to both hunters and warriors alike.

Eagle Portage is a very strategic place for the Antislar.  The headwaters of Empress River is far too wild for traders to safely traverse by boat, so this portage is the only route from Lofty Lake to the Empress.

Holidays, Festivals and Observances
Describe the celebration days (religious, pagan etc.) which are of importance for this tribe.

Beliefs
The Antislar have a monotheistic belief in  the single god, Koraya, the two faced dualsexed entity.  In addition, there are countless spirits that are protectors of everything, from nature spirits in each stream, field, mountain, to spirits that watch over each household and its family.

The true power in the Antislar society is the Temple.  Loved and feared by much of the populace, much of it is shrouded in mystery.  Ornate temples can be found in each community and form the center of each community.  The largest of these is in Antis, where the great gallery is a large rotunda where statues of all the high priests are kept.

The most holy site in the religion of Koraya is a small island just beyond the delta of the Camlyn River in the Gulf of Oh’Cant’Aelwyn.  Keir'chrónn, Holy Island, is believed to be where Koraya resides on this world.  By tradition, no boat is allowed to go the island.  Instead, the island can only be accessed by foot at low tide.  It is a difficult trek through sofy mud, and has been the death of more than one person through the years, those deemed unfit to set foot on holy ground.  One of the sites on the island is called the Sleeper, a large stone sculpture of a female form, only head and shoulders arising from the ground.  Pilgrims to the island often place items before the sculpture as a gift to the goddess.

Important Events
One of the stranger events in ntislar history is the destruction of the northern city of Xasmarra.  The furthest ever of any Antislar community, it was built on the northern shore of Lofty Lake.  It was built on a hot springs, thus giving it its name, Xasmarra, which is "hot water" in Antislaran.  Around 500 aS, it was destroyed by Ice Pheonix.  Why is not fully understood, but the Antislar avoid the city, which they believe to be cursed and evil.

History
The People of Antislar began as one of the Icefolk found in the Iol Peninsula and Ice Coasts area before the Kanapan migration 8000 BS

The People of Antislar sided with the Darkfriends during the Remusian Civil War in 284 BS

The Antislar general Caeltakkar leads Antislar troops to the Ylossian Mines and holds them during the war in 283 BS

« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 09:49:41 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2009, 05:09:16 »

Huu, Altario, don't try to imitate  Southern cultures, we have enough of those, find at least other names, not monarch, temple, priests, even if they have the same function! Think cold and icy and DIFFERENT! Not that the idea of a divine emperor is a bad one, but adapt it to this special place. Well, maybe I'm running in an open door ;) Forgive me!

I'm still wrestling with this weather stuff, and while doing that I had an idea for you. I think I saw somewhere, that you want to be them a trading folk. Now, that is a bit difficult, if the sea is frozen, maybe even most of the year. Not so much the Bay of Calinth, but the Gulf of Oh'Cant'Aelwyn (?). So why not use not only sledges pulled by beasts, but use a kind of mixture of boat and sledge and set sails to them? So they could cross the frozen sea quite quickly (and the land as well). It could be fairly easy in winter (even then are days without raging storms), when snow covers the area and makes it flat, but quite dangerous in summer, when perhaps the ice starts to move at some places and form a kind of icebergs? Just a picture which sprang suddenly to my mind.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2009, 05:17:00 »

Like this except on a much larger scale.  I love that idea. :D

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2010, 07:09:53 »

We can use this thread.  I'm ok with it being hijacked. 

I quote from my start of an entry:

These people are also one of the closest tribes to the orcs.  They actively seek out trade with the orcs, practice no descrimination towards them, and in fact, intermarry quite commonly with them.  It has been estimated that fully one quarter of the population has some orc blood in them.  Still, this human-orc heritage is not a seperate entity as with other people of mixed ancestory.  They are all considered "the people".

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2010, 08:28:43 »

Which orc tribe specifically are they close too? They are too far south for the Osther-Oc. This means that we'll have two groups of half-orcen people: the Kaaer and the Antislar breeds. One mixed with Osther-Oc and the other with Losh-Oc? Rhom-Oc?

So, let's go back to my original idea: a settlement of Antislar is founded in Caaehl'heroth (Anif) along with a settlement of Kuglimz nearby. The Osther-Oc move down, enslave and intermarry with the two human tribes. Are the Antislar settlers familiar with half-orcs at this time? If so, they are more easily able to integrate. The Kuglimz, however, fight the interracial unions and are more or less forced into it.

What this could create is a sort of dual clan of half-orcs: the Kaaer'dár'shín (Kuglimz orcs) and the Kaaer’ót’chén (Antislar orcs). One group in the Themed'lon and the other more southeast. Thoughts? The name "Kaaer’ót’chén" by the way is from the old North human tribe overview that needs revised.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2010, 07:11:12 »

I wanted the Rhom-oc because of the long history of wars between the Rhom and the Remusians.

But, I'm good with a Antislar settlement in Anf.  Would this settlement be pre or post SW III?

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2013, 19:42:17 »

Mr Federkiel;

:D  You had stated earlier that I could do my Antislar in bits and peices.  I would like to submit the Overview, Appearence, Territory and People sections for review.  Would you like me to leave them in this thread, which is the entry in complete form?  Or would it be easier to take those sections and create a new thread?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2013, 18:04:35 »

Hi Altario, I think we should think about the established names for the icetribes. Maybe we should find a general term for all those (human) people who live in the 'Icelands', but take the Himiko and eventually the Remusians out of Curgan's Icetribes (all who have a different belief).

And, we need to find out which relation the Antislar have with the Himiko. Both tribes are fair haired and both have a double faced god/goddess (different though, female, representing fire and ice). Probably the Himiko went East at the same time the Antislar went up the Iol peninsula.

PS: No time to read it today
« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 18:08:00 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2013, 01:14:14 »

I think you are corrct, Talia.  What had always been, in my mind, the link between the Ice Tribes was the religion.  Each could have their own cultural aspects, but the belief in the Ice Tribe gods was the common link.  Therefore, the Himiko and the Antislar no longer fit, though they share a same heritage as the Ice Tribes.

The Remusians, I would still leave as an Ice Tribe, though in 200 years or so, they might then have become monothiestic in their belief of Koroch.  But, right now, they still have many who continue to worship the Ice Tribe pantheon.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.