Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do Brownies differ from other races?  (Read 3527 times)
Rookie Brownbark

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« on: 24 December 2009, 05:03:59 »

These ideas have already been integrated, so please incorporate them into your entries

1) Brownies don't get sunburn, but they do suffer from intense heat and sunlight. (see Sunblood Condition for the details)

2) They’re really tiny!  Might sound pretty obvious, but this has huge implications on pretty much everything.  Carrying weight, amounts of food, size of houses, ability to get around, travelling times....is there anything that isn’t affected?  On the plus size, this means that Brownies have to have a great deal of ingenuity to survive – they’re naturally programmed to make weird inventions and strange solutions.  Woo!

3) Most Brownies are afraid of water.  Well, if you were that tiny you’d be too.  I say “most” because they can learn to get around this fear, as individuals or as a whole tribe.  They just need a good reason to have wanted to get over it.

4) Most Brownies (except for Rat Brownies and Darklings) know the story of Keekoo the Saviour who broke them out of human captivity (where they were being kept as pets and even eaten) and rebuilt the Brownie civilisation.  For Brownies who don’t have regular contact with humans, this is probably the most famous story that features them!  Attitudes will vary depending on how much contact the tribe has with them, but generally Brownies would be very cautious of human contact, probably more than any other race.  Even the Brownies who don’t know this story would probably be pretty wary of stamping human feet.

5) Brownies generally do not segregate their communities by gender.  Males and females lead similar lives and are subject to the same stereotypes, prejudices and humour!

6)  They have a horrible reaction to Weeproot and her Sisters (onions).  The only one they use are chives.  Random but true.

Brownies are limited to the usage of the chives and the mildest scallions, as the larger globe Weeproot’s scent has been known to render them almost insensible with streaming eyes, seared nasal passages, and difficulty breathing for weeks.

These ideas have not been integrated, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

7) Blood the colour of their skin.  So green blood for greenbarks, blue for bluebarks etc etc.  There was also a suggestion that they taste different.

8)  Their skin looses far less heat than a human's does because it has a layer underneath which stops it from escaping.  This idea came from the fact that Brownies have a far greater surface area to volume ratio than Big People (i.e. compared to the amount of flesh producing heat, they have a lot of skin loosing heat).  

9) Healing with life magic works better if you're the same colour as your patient.

10) Brownie ladies don't have a monthly cycle like humans, but a yearly one like deer and are fertile (and most attractive to Brownie gentlemen) in spring.

Please post your ideas too!
« Last Edit: 24 December 2009, 05:08:09 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2009, 12:52:50 »

I always thought brownies could communicate well with animals.  Not sure if this is a natural trait or a learned skill but I thouhgt I would throw it out there.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2009, 18:47:02 »

I think that's more of a learned trait than something which is innate to all Brownies, although if there are enough people going "no, they should have this", then I will put it in.  However, you did remind me of another one - they are thought to be naturally green-fingered.  Good with plants I mean, not actually green-fingered....unless they're a greenbark...

You know, Seeker, the Brownies have remarkably few illustrated entries....*looks innocent*

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2009, 18:59:05 »

Run Seeker! Run! The Brownies are so small that I'm sure you can get away from them! * Me looks at Rookie innocently *
evil

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2009, 19:02:36 »

lol

*considers breaking it to Dek that falcons are actually pretty fast as mounts go*

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2009, 19:10:21 »

Well then ... Seeker might have falcon for breakfast with a delightful chocolate Brownie as a snack then ... I see it going something like

"Snap" - Seeker's runes as he looks at the falcon following him, with the tasty Brownie on its back.

"Crackle" - the magical energy as it goes at the falcon, faster than the falcon can move out of its way.

"Pop" - the falcon as it is struck and plummets towards the ground.

"Crush" - the falcon crushes the poor little Brownie underneath its dead body. :(

Instant Brownie for breakfast!

evil
lol

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2009, 19:25:10 »

rofl

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2009, 21:48:50 »

Maybe if you cut a Brownie's limbs off, they grow back!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2010, 02:31:01 »

Just a sidenote to #6. Wouldn't this mean that the city of Milkengrad would have some very specific/harsh laws against possession and use of these particular items?

7) Blood the colour of their skin.  So green blood for greenbarks, blue for bluebarks etc etc.  There was also a suggestion that they taste different. I very much like this idea, not that I can give exact reasons as to why.

9) Healing with life magic works better if you're the same colour as your patient. Makes sense really, closer physiology and such.

I wanted to ask about the life expectancy for Brownies. In the Brownie overview it states their lifespan to be 60 years. If this is still true, maybe it should be listed here as well, it is after-all quite different from many of the other races.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2010, 02:39:41 »

With regards to # 10)

If you implement this (and i think its a great idea) don't make the 'deer' parabel. Use trees, it makes even more sense!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2010, 04:42:50 »

If you throw a tiny spider off a ten-story building, it generally survives. [Note: I don't make it a hobby to toss small creatures off ten-story buildings--I swear!]

Perhaps the small size of Brownies somehow makes them more likely to survive falls?

I'm not sure about the water thing. Their small size shouldn't make them adverse to water. I don't see any reason why Brownies should be less adapted to water than humans. Perhaps there is some quality of their blood that makes them heavier or less buoyant? Perhaps they have less fat relative to their size, and this makes them less buoyant?  undecided I don't know.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2010, 05:02:20 »

I think they might be more susceptible to the rapids given their size - hence their discomfort in crossing large bodies of water?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2010, 06:42:03 »

A few ideas:

Water: is it the case that Brownies are especially afraid of water - or are they simply wary of it in proportion to their size? A little stream of rainwater coming down a hill may be traversed in two steps by a human with no more damage than a wet trouser leg. Yet for the Brownie, the same stream presents a challenge equivalent to a human trying to cross a frantic river twice as deep as she is high. Similarly, if raindrops had the size of human fists, humans would dislike rain rather more than they do. Is that all that's meant?

Brownie ladies: conceivably, the gentlemen could have a tree-like yearly cycle of fertility (and sexual drive), too? In any case, I'd be interested to learn how Brownie love poetry would reflect these cycles. The relationship between love and sex - so conflict-ridden in humans - would take rather different forms for Brownie couples, I should think?

Another suggestion (although I wonder whether somebody might have thought of this already - being rather less than well-read on Brownies, I simply don't know):

Wouldn't humans and other big folk appear rather ugly to Brownies? Brownies, living in a smaller-scale world, would probably see human skin not as the relatively smooth surface that humans are wont to regard it as. Brownies could see every pore; a small pimple on a human face would, to a Brownie, have the size of a child's face; human hair, to a Brownie, would be like greasy grass caked with dirt?

Conversely, Brownies might typically seem rather fair and pretty to humans (e.g. if their skin pores are proportionate to their size, then Brownie skin might seem extraordinarily pure and smooth to humans)?

(I hasten to say that this suggestion is not really my idea, but inspired by Gulliver's experiences first among the Liliputians, then in Brobdingnag among the giants.)

About survival of falls: I believe that the larger your surface area in relation to your mass, the lower your terminal velocity in freefall - which is why spiders can survive a fall from any height. So I would agree with Alýr's idea, although I shouldn't think the Brownies' survival rate would be nearly as high as that of spiders.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
The Silent Watcher

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2010, 08:27:42 »

Here is my 2 sans worth, if you deem it of use:

7) Blood the colour of their skin.  So green blood for greenbarks, blue for bluebarks etc etc.  There was also a suggestion that they taste different.
A capital idea! I think it would be best to keep the intensity of the colour fairly low, or else the Bluebarks could end up resembling Violet Beauregard!  thumbup

8)  Their skin looses far less heat than a human's does because it has a layer underneath which stops it from escaping.  This idea came from the fact that Brownies have a far greater surface area to volume ratio than Big People (i.e. compared to the amount of flesh producing heat, they have a lot of skin loosing heat).
This could link-in somehow with their problems with heat/sunlight?  thumbup

9) Healing with life magic works better if you're the same colour as your patient.
Makes perfect sense to me. Perhaps you could carry this through to the medicines they use, with different coloured ingredients being better suited to patients of a similar colour?  thumbup

10) Brownie ladies don't have a monthly cycle like humans, but a yearly one like deer and are fertile (and most attractive to Brownie gentlemen) in spring.
Having struggled not to litter my response with all the obvious jokes, I think this is a very interesting concept, and I'm suprised no-one has thought of it before.  thumbup

As for the others......

About survival of falls: I believe that the larger your surface area in relation to your mass, the lower your terminal velocity in freefall - which is why spiders can survive a fall from any height. So I would agree with Alýr's idea, although I shouldn't think the Brownies' survival rate would be nearly as high as that of spiders.
This also makes perfect sense, and goes a long way to explaining their skills in gliding and 'surfing' on leaves, as well as their lack of concern at the dangers therein.  thumbup

Maybe if you cut a Brownie's limbs off, they grow back!
Oh Ye Gods! Not more experiments, Deci?  rolleyes

If you throw a tiny spider off a ten-story building, it generally survives. [Note: I don't make it a hobby to toss small creatures off ten-story buildings--I swear!]
Yeah, right. Whatever.  evil

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.