Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Very Short History of the Brownie Race  (Read 2625 times)
Rookie Brownbark

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« on: 24 December 2009, 06:54:52 »

Below you will find a much-abridged version of the History.  It is very rough and general, so please check your dates and facts before using them in an entry!

All dates are rounded to the nearest 100 years.

15,000 b.S. - Tree of Life is hit by lightning and splits.  Brownies form from the bits of bark.

15,000 - 10,000 b.S. - Birni Kingdom in the Paeleon Forest.  They have amazing life magic which defies the laws of nature but a very fraught political system.  Your status is determined by the colour of your skin, and there are various struggles between the colourings.  Eventually it completely breaks down.  No one really knows why this happened, but popular Brownie belief is that it was a punishment from the spirits for warping nature with their magic.  It is also possible that the political struggles finally broke the civilisation beyond repair.

Various different groups suffered persecution during this period, and many were banished.  These were branded as criminals by being mutilated with life magic - they were given animalistic looks and attributes to mark them as being "outside civilisation".  They became the Rat Brownies.

The Brownies who will become the Darklings also set off towards the end of this period.

10,000 - 4000 b.S. - The "Harsh Years".  Brownies are scattered, living off human leavings or in captivity.  Humans eat them or hunt them as vermin.  Not pleasant.  Some probably form small primitive tribes, which may later become more Rat Brownie tribes (probably Field Rat Brownies as these aren't mutated) or Aohu'o.  

4000ish b.S. - Keekoo the Deliverer (Big Brownie Hero) basically frees lots of Brownies, or locates the scattered ones, and forms a big Brownie civilisation in the Auturian Woods.  He rediscovers a lot of Brownie culture and language, and then sends them all off in large groups to populate the world.

3600 b.S. - The group of Brownies who will become the Llaoihrr find the Vale of Brownies.

3100 b.S. - Brownies arrive in Akdor

3000 b.S. - The group who will become the Memnoor settle on the edge of the Void in Aeruillin.

3000 b.S. - A huge fire in the centre of Akdor scatters the Brownies to all corners of the continent.  

1600 b.S. -mA group (called Hawkfeather) hide on a ship and get taken to Sarvonia by its elven crew.  They will become the Milken Brownies.

1000 b.S. The Llaoihrr plant their Council Tree.

300 b.S.  - Greybark leads a huge army of Llaoihrr to Carmalad to fight the Darkhorde.

1200 a.S. - First Milken Guilds are formed, giving them greater freedom and more independence from the Helcrani.

1400 a.S.  - Trade between sarvonian tribes begins to flourish as the Llaoihrr take a new interest in the world and the Milken seek out other, wilder tribes like the Aohu'o and Rat Brownies.

1600 a.S. - Darklings are rediscovered by Darbul Runestained.  Rookie Brownbark travels to the weird and wonderful land of Nybelmar to record what she can of them.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2009, 22:20:34 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2009, 21:50:24 »

1600 a.S. - Darklings are rediscovered!

By you, I imagine? Since I would assume the Trumarim knew about them for some time....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2009, 22:02:24 »

And Darbul Runestained, the dwarf in no way connected with Mira ;)

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2009, 22:08:53 »

Yeah, that elusive character.

Havent seen him in a while, yet we've seen ALOT of Mira!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2009, 22:12:35 »

Weird how you never see them together.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2009, 01:12:14 »

One thing to note is that it is likely that Brownies spread by following or accompanying the various human and elven migration patterns over the years. Probably after the Great Sundering that some Brownies went with the other races as they moved everywhere. For example, I am thinking of early in the Ghostling's history, they were settled near elven lands, specifically F'v'cl'r, and migrated with the dark elves to Caaehl'heroth. They then settled with them up north in the Cartash woods and witnessed the first opening of the Deep Winds Portal and the subsequent introduction of the Mists.

I don't think all Brownies need to have been hunted and eaten. I think some races, maybe elves, liked the Brownies and considered them their friends. Or, maybe some dwarven tribes used Rat Brownies as scouts and trackers as they dug their caverns below ground. Hence, there could be many Brownies who befriended the larger folk and moved with them in order to survive.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2009, 06:19:38 »

Although the Harsh Years are less well-filled in than later years, I would still like to keep to what Greybark has set out.  Partly this is because I've been developing on this basis since I started already, and changing it would mean subtle changes all over the place, and partly because I just like to stick to what Greybark wrote down unless I can really see an advantage in the alternative.  After all, I don't think what he's written is particularly restrictive or limiting.

The Harsh Years have always been a time when Brownies were seen more as vermin than as sentient beings.  This is probably because all the other races have been living in F'v'cl'r and the Brownies had their own settlement, so they were an almost completely unknown creature to the other races.  People don't work out they're sentient for many thousands of years.  I'm not sure this is continued ignorance is possible if some people befriended Brownies.  Brownies and elves also don't naturally get on for some reason - whenever the travelling Brownie groups enter elven woods they always seem to clash and have to move on.  They do generally seem to get on ok with dwarves though.

Also, we need most of them to be moved to Marcogg and the surrounding area so that Keekoo can free them and make his new free Brownie civilisation in the Auturian Woods.  Being captured and sold as pets in this area seems the most probable reason for them to be there.

However, as long as we preserve the general feeling of this time (i.e. Brownies = food/vermin/pets), I don't see the harm in having a few groups of Brownies who end up being befriended by certain tribes.  I don't think we should say all elves befriended them though, as it sort of goes against what's already written.  I also agree that Brownie groups might follow migrating Bigfolk, although I'd rather it was because they wanted to steal/scavenge their food than because they were regarded as equal sentient beings.  Maybe the Ghostlings were the exception in that they did become allies, but I think if this was more common then people would realise they were sentient too quickly for the pet and food trades to be established.  

I do think we should try and flesh out this period of time though so I'll post a separate thread about it....tomorrow, I'm too sleepy now :P
« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 06:35:27 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2010, 12:43:45 »

Not sure if this is important enough for here ... but in my Arvins Arrows entry, I had the following (and thought I should mention it)

Rumours persist that even the Brownies developed a version of Arvins Arrows, using blowpipes. These rumours include an infamous incident in 1586 a.S. when a pair of LLaoihrr Brownies were playing a game. As it entered its final stages, one of the Brownies sucked on the blowpipe instead of blowing on it. The dart entered the unfortunate Brownie's body and killed him pretty quickly. Some Brownies today still play that version of the game, despite that lamentable accident.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 82
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.