Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Here be Brownies! (Maps of Brownie Settlements)  (Read 4692 times)
Rookie Brownbark

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« on: 24 December 2009, 20:40:09 »

This thread will hold maps showing where all the Brownie settlements are.  Eventually. I'm still making some of them.  If I've missed one off one of the maps please let me know!

Attached to this post is a map of the whole of Caelereth, with the locations of all the known Brownie settlements on it.  Thanks to Valan for putting names on the big map for me!

Key
Dark Green = Llaoihrr
Yellow = Milken
Red = Rat Brownies
Light Blue = Sarvonian Aohu'o
Dark Blue = Akdorian Aohu'o
Pinky-Purple = Memnoor
Dark Purple = Darklings

(As the map is such a large scale, locations may be pretty rough!  Please also note that the size of dots does not correspond to the number of Brownies.)
« Last Edit: 04 May 2010, 00:51:10 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2009, 20:45:00 »

Attached to this post is a draft map of where all the Llaoihrr settlements will be in the Vale.  The writing in the post is an overview of the various tribes.

There are seven large Brownie settlements in the Vale in total, five of which belong to the unofficial kingdom of the Council Tree (including the tree itself), and trade with the outside world through it. They receive protection from the Council Tree's army too, and many of their youngsters will go and study a craft there. These settlements are:

The Council Tree Llaoihrr (light purple) are the most famous and numerous of all the groups.  Around 250,000 of them inhabit the huge Cinnabark pine which grows in a 100 ped wide clearing at the join of the two largest rivers in the Vale.  They tend to be the most open and friendly of the Llaoihrr, as almost all trading from the Vale goes through this settlement.  They alone have the means to carry goods far and wide in a fairly short time, and they are also the base for the defensive troops which are made up of Brownies from each of the five Council-aligned groups.  This is also the centre for new technology, life magic and art, another reason up and coming Llaoihrr from other settlements sometimes decide to move there.

The Reed Llaoihrr (light green) do not actually live in the reeds, but rather further up the River of Reeds which flows down from the Rimmerins Ring and meets the Snake River.  They are a fairly small group with 15,000 Brownies

The Gate Llaoihrr (orange) are the closest group to the Gate, and populate the cliff above the path.  The site was originally the site of the Council Tree’s permanent scouting base, where Brownies would be stationed to keep an eye on the path into the Vale.  As the numbers grew, and the scouts there began to live there permanently with their families, it gained more and more independence.  It officially became its own settlement in XXXX, although it still retains very close links with the Council Tree.

Marshland Llaoihrr (yellow)

Llaoihrr of Sorceresses’ Peak (dark purple)

River Bend Llaoihrr (light blue)

The other two groups are much more secluded, and neither ask for help from the others, nor give any in return.  They are:

The Darkwood Llaoihrr (dark blue) live on the slopes of the Dark Hills, away from contact with any other tribes. Their ancestors were the Brownies who disagreed with the formation of the Council Tree on the grounds that such a large conglomeration of Brownies was against the natural order and therefore against the spirits’ wishes. They still hold the belief that drove them away – that the best way to live is to trust to what the spirits have provided.  They venerate all things natural, shunning processed leather in favour of uncut furs and using mainly naturally-found poisons.  The other Llaoihrr consider them quite wild, but there is no denying their excellent tracking and hunting skills.  There are thought to be around 20,000 in this settlement, but as they don’t count their numbers themselves or have a huge amount of contact with the others, it is hard to be sure.

The Chieftain Mountain Llaoihrr (red) live on the slopes of that mountain.  They left the Council Tree much later, only 200 years ago in 1456 a.S. and chose this part of the Vale for its relative inaccessibility to the rest.  The deep, thick woods at the base of the mountain and its steep slopes provide a crude barrier from the rest of the Llaoihrr.  The founders wanted to break off from the huge interconnected system of the Council Tree, where every Brownie is working for the group rather than for themselves.  Their settlement works on an each Brownie for themselves basis, which appeals to those of a particularly hard-working nature.  They are not cut off from the rest of the Llaoihrr and often trade with them, but they don't recognise the Council Tree as the head of their government.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2009, 21:34:55 »

Attached to this thread is a map of the locations of all the Sarvonian Aohu'o.

Key:

Light Green = Sweet-Wood Clan (also known as the Dragonrider Clan).  Goltherlon Forest.
Medium Blue = Twin World Clan.   Shivering Woods and Roan Forest.
Light Blue = Waterwell Clan (they like water, which is rare in Brownies).  Epherin's Lake.
Red = Splintered Clan.  Már'cál'ethrón.
Yellow = Light-trapper Clan
Orange (on Northern Map) = Mountain-mover Clan.  Vindel Mountains and Stone Fields of Peat.
Purple = Stained Clan.  Auturian Woods.
Dark Green = Pathtender Clan.  No permanent home, but travel around this area tending paths!
Healer Clan = Mythical/rumour, so no particular location.

You can find details of all these clans in the Sarvonian Aohu'o Entry.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2009, 23:44:10 »

Attached to this post are maps with the locations of the various locations of Rat Brownies.  Unlike the other maps, this one includes the locations where Rat Brownies are rumoured to live, even if these rumours have not been substantiated.  These locations are marked as stars, whereas the ones confirmed to have Rat Brownies are dots.

Light Blue (on Northern Map) = Ghostling Brownies.  Mists.
Red = Red Biters.  Marduran.
Medium Blue = Rumours of Shadow Brownies at Fanghenge.
Light Green = Unnamed.  Milkengrad.  Various Bands definitely including Mud Rat Brownies, but probably a couple of other varieties too.  These could in fact have been brought there for study and then escaped.
Pinky-Purple = Unnamed.  Strata.  Various bands although no details as yet.
Dark Purple = Unnamed.  Nymersys.  Undecided.
Orange = New Santhala.  Mud Rat Brownies, possibly another variety too.
Yellow = Voldar.  Faded Rat Brownies.
Hot Pink (on Northern Map) = Tunnels under Prominent Mountains.  Undecided on Variety.
Dark Green (on Northern Map) = Wastes of Despair.  Twisted Rat Brownies.
Light Blue = Ximax.  "Lurks-In-Bone" Clan.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 17:30:17 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2009, 00:42:01 »

Wow. This is remarkably helpful! Why didn't we have something like this before?

These maps are wonderful, Rookie. Hopefully adding maps like these to entries will ensure that Brownies are regarded further in development (i.e. of places, events, histories). Thank you for these!

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2009, 04:39:59 »

Ermm... You know what? Have a look at the text "World of Cael..." There's an even bigger mistake there... ;) - But I guess that's all then!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2009, 05:07:37 »

Fixed. At last!

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2009, 20:29:18 »

Thankyou so much Valan, that's really great!  (I can put little coloured blobs on maps, but making the names look good is beyond my limited skills.)  + Aura for that.

Rayne:  Only the Rat Brownie maps are new (although I've revamped the Sarvonian Aohu'o one), the rest were around if you knew where to look (i.e. pretty hidden)  And the Rat Brownie one is only the amalgamation of four entries; The Rat Brownie Entry, The Ghostlings, Eight Winds Bay and Fanghenge.  As you can see, three of those are so new they're not even on site yet.  So I'd never really thought we needed them before - all the information was in the Rat Brownie Entry.  And I knew where to find the other maps :P.  But, yeah, I do agree that they're more than worth the hour or so taken to make them!

Edit: Map added to first post!
« Last Edit: 26 December 2009, 21:34:31 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2010, 07:58:08 »

Please update the map for another Rat Brownie clan in Ximax City. The "Lurks-in-Bone" clan. Of the twelve documented clans by Gratcha Swath, the Lurks-in-Bone are the most well known. 

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2010, 17:30:31 »

Done!

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2010, 00:19:20 »

Dark Purple = Darklings

Hi Rookie - I think the Darklings are further south (the first isthmus directly south-west from where you've placed them)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2010, 00:52:12 »

There we go! :)

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2010, 03:54:21 »

Err... Just half way between where you placed them last time and where they are currently placed - just on that protruding peninsula (ie Moredein Kaerath on the Nybelmar map; I think they are meant to exist in the same area as the Trumarim dwarves - or do they extend further?)

You might need to double-check this with Mira :)

(Btw, this is a tremendously useful thread, Rookie!)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rookie Brownbark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2010, 05:38:43 »

They're in the same area as the Trumarim, it's just I never was exactly sure where that was!  Sorry *hangs head in shame*  Need to find my mouse before I can sort that out.....I've hidden it somewhere.....

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.