Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Green Hand  (Read 5820 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 30 January 2010, 02:57:04 »

Name: Green Hand

Categorization: Miscellaneous / Eccentricities & Spiritual Afflictions

Overview:
The Green Hand is an affliction that is common to experienced gardeners from most of the races of Caelereth. This condition is characterised by either one or both hands of sufferers turning a bright, unnatural green and creates an insatiable desire to garden during all hours of the day and night. The most common cure for the 'Green Hand' is to forcibly prevent the victim from gardening by tying them to an inmoveable object. This is only a temporary cure, however, as the affliction re-establishes its hold over the victim as soon as they are released from the object. As all races and tribes need to be able to sleep, walk, eat, relieve themselves, and do other functions without being physically tied down, the sufferers of this affliction eventually return to gardening.

Description:
From across Santharia, and presumably the rest of Sarvonia, and perhaps even the other continents that feature gardens, a strange affliction is striking those who take pride in their gardens; one or both of their hands are turning a green that is most assuredly unnatural, even for those races or tribes of orcs or Brownies that are naturally green. Eyewitness accounts from across Sarvonia, Santharia and even further affield follow to describe the cgaracterustucs of this unusual and unseemly affliction.

From Marcogg, Capital of Manthrian Province in the Kingdom of Santharia, the following is told. "Poor old Esther! For the past two days she be out in that garden of hers, pottering around, planting roses, tuberfruits, rosemint bushes, and pulling the weeds out of her lawn," reported Lucille Cochrane, an Avennorian housewife, "whether Guardorans or Sunblaze, Daybreak or Daywane or any of the hours in between, she be out there. I'm worried about her. Not even Don can get her to give it away ... he be out there, trying to get her to eat, but she refuses. She's always loved gardening ... but this ... this is ridiculous ... and look at her hands! Green! It is unnatural! Unnatural, I tell ya! I suspect she be replaced by a witch ... or maybe she be a follower of Dula the Witch or maybe she be a witch. I am scared ... what if I'm next to suffer from this Green Hand?" After that, she went off to find water and some wood muttering that "iif she floats she be made of wood and she be a witch."

Those suffering from this unusual affliction  

Prevalence

Explanations

Treatments / Cures / Consequences:
The C tribe of orcs from Nybelmar are rumoured to kill any member of their tribe that demonstrates the Green Hand affliction. At best these are rumours as it is unlikely that these orcs would be involved in large scale gardening activities.

Treatments and cures for this affliction are reported to be varied as one travels throughout Caelereth. Mindsoothers, for example, work on the mind of those afflicted by this condition, working on removing the compulsion to garden from their mind. Over time, according to Fier, a mindsmoother from among the Quaelhoirhim tribe of elves, the mindsmoothers will gradually decrease the desire of the sufferer to

the Jewish Prince as Chicken cure --> from Master Anfang

Myth / Lore

Researchers
« Last Edit: 03 October 2011, 06:10:38 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2010, 03:09:21 »

*facepalm*

By the way; you do realise that "tending their garden" is an awfull broad set of compulsions?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2010, 03:12:10 »

*believes Mira is Patient Zero of the Green Thumb disease and should be quarantined*

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2010, 03:14:01 »

*facepalm*

By the way; you do realise that "tending their garden" is an awfull broad set of compulsions?

Yes ... I'll narrow it down a bit ... I'm almost wondering whether it might fit better in with the afflictions of the mind that Master Anfang was starting work on ... like the blood on Mrs Scottish's hands from the Scottish Play by William Shakespeare.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2010, 03:14:59 »

*Hisss* Your world belongs to the Gardeners now, flesshling! To mulches and compostses we will make you, yesss...

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
The Silent Watcher

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2010, 03:51:27 »

How would one tell if an orc was suffering from this?

Or a Greenbark brownie?

Or someone who had a septic thumb?

Or someone who had been painting their fence, Daniel san?
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2010, 04:01:45 »

"Daniel san"? Is Deci here?

And i reckon the tendency to tend their garden at three in the morning would be a fairly conclusive symptom. Unless it was a brownie. Or an Orc, those are just plain weird.

Avrah Kehabhra

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2010, 06:00:49 »

"Daniel san"? Is Deci here?

*readies his kung-fu grip, before realising that is the wrong martial art*

What! What!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2010, 07:22:09 »

Hi Dek,

Thanks for alerting me to this! It's a cute idea.

Since you asked me to comment: I think it would be fascinating to have this bizarre combination of symptoms that you suggest: the green thumb as the visible manifestation of a spiritual affliction (soul sickness).

Quite a while ago, I posted a suggestion for a "spiritual affliction"-template here. I'm not saying you need to follow it slavishly, but maybe it helps in generating ideas. I prefer the category "Explanations" to the category "Vector/Cause", because I think it's more interesting if Santharians don't exactly know the causes of soul sicknesses; ignorance opens up so many possibilities for fantastickal speculations!

A few ideas:

Could the afflicted greenthumbs believe that if their garden is their real body, whereas their human (gnomish, hobbitish, etc.) body is merely a limb of this superorganism? The garden issues commands, the gardener executes its will. A gardener engaged in weeding would think of himself as a hand delousing its own head ...

What happens if the garden is destroyed? Or in danger of being destroyed?

Are the greenthumbs proud of their produce? Do they sell their apples? Or do they refrain from harvesting, thinking that the servant hasn't got the right to steal from her master?

There could be an unusual kind of cure: maybe the cure is not to discourage the greenthumb’s belief, or to put them in chains, but rather to indulge and even encourage the belief. Say, for example, that greenthumbs are driven to gardening because they believe they themselves are really a sort of mobile vegetable. Then a “cure” could be to convince the greenthumb that even mobile vegetables have to shut down their activity in winter, close their blossoms during the night, get water and nutrients in order to continue growing, etc. etc. In this manner, the greenthumb could be convinced to lead an almost normal life, without however giving up their delusion ...

(There is an old Jewish tale about a prince who comes to believe that he is a chicken. he runs around naked, makes chicken noises and picks at grains on the ground. Many wise men and women fail to cure him from his delusion. But one day a wise man comes along, takes all his clothes off, makes chicken noises, and picks at grains on the ground. The prince is happy that he has company, and the two become friends. After a while, the wise man begins to wear clothes. The prince asks: how come you wear clothes? The wise man says: Who said chicken can’t wear clothes? The prince has no answer, and thus begins to wear clothes again himself. In this manner, the wise man gradually convinces the prince to sit at a table, eat with cutlery, sleep in a bed, and eventually even to marry. The prince still beliefs he is a chicken, but he does everything a human prince might do.

It’s that kind of cure I’m thinking about.)

Feel free to take these ideas up or ignore them!

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2010, 04:49:12 »

Hi Master Anfang,

Thank you for looking over it and giving these suggestions for it ... especially that cure you proposed. I'll be sure to use that template you brought to my attention, as well as incorporating your other ideas as well.

Thanks again

Dek

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2011, 06:06:32 »

And rebumping this one for me as well

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2011, 02:19:33 »

So what's with that Olantani River entry, Dek? Someone posted that he will have this finished by the end of... uhm... September? ;) The year fortunately wasn't mentioned... lol

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2011, 07:01:13 »

I didn't mention the century either Artimidor. I'm barely keeping my anger in check about your 'amusing' post BTW Artimidor.

But it is boiling over.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2011, 14:43:56 »

Hasn't anyone told you to always "Look on the Bright Side of Life", Dek? Especially as you're a Monty Python fan? Maybe taking comedians more seriously every now and then might help to spot the humour...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2011, 02:27:10 »

So what's with that Olantani River entry, Dek? Someone posted that he will have this finished by the end of... uhm... September? ;) The year fortunately wasn't mentioned... lol

I had bet Sept 2034. More or less.

But like I should be talking, what with all the entries I have unfinished... lipsrsealed

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 71
Total: 71

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.