Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - General Spoiler Thread  (Read 17138 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 12 April 2010, 01:15:05 »

This is a general thread concerning all things Santhworld which have to deal on what transpires in a module, if you need assistance to accomplish something in a game or one can also discuss how things might still be improved here and there. Once a module is released and discussion ensues about this and that, not everybody wants to know before he/she plays the game where the game is actually heading.

So if you want to stay spoiler free, don't read this thread and only visit it afterwards if you want to provide criticism, suggestions, start gameplay discussions. Please give only general comments outside of this thread. If you've completed a game you can discuss it here.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2010, 01:51:19 »

Loved the Pic against the meadowlike background.

"You are Altario-Shialt-eck-Gorrin"  and suddenly, I was. :P

Koroch-fey-Mologh is the horse breed.. otherwise it translates to "of Koroch" instead of Mount of Koroch.

Ugh.. I died... I'm not even a good me. :(

More to come when I get time to play again.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 05:34:52 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2010, 04:24:17 »

Wow!  Great job all of you.  That was great.  I loved it. :)

I won on the second try, but have been going back and taking all the different routes, so not done yet, but I'm impressed with what I read.  Aura points all around for Arti, Seeker and Grinch.  Well done, Gentlemen. thumbup

It was nice to hear the music and see the different pics in there.

But, I gotta know;  Who supplied the scream for the first dwarf?  That makes me giggle everytime!
« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 05:35:39 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2010, 04:58:08 »

lol It wasn't one of us getting beaten up, it was taken from the Soundsnap.com library, they have really cool sounds, sometimes very memorable ones... ;) - BTW: In the Nepris module there's also an absolutely hilarious sound when the imp gets hit at the battle with the bloodslimer - Grinch cannot get enough of that one!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2010, 05:22:31 »

Cool module, Seeker ...

I went well for a short while, but then was abandoned ... I brought dishonour to the name Golden-Shield :(

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2010, 06:19:40 »

I played through it, and I'll admit I couldn't remember the name of the dwarf on the first run through.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2010, 06:39:06 »

I am glad you guys are enjoying the story.  Alt I am surprised you died only once.  Next time it will need to be harder.  grin

If you guys have any suggestion/comments on how the game play went it might be helpful for anybody in the future who may want to create a choose your adventure type module.  For example, was it frustrating to die?  Was it too hard or too easy?  What kinds of choices did you wish you could make?  Was the story a good length?etc.

I think the ultimate question,  Would you like to see future modules done in the same format?  Or was it all just so-so undecided.  Please be honest it will help things get better. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2010, 07:10:22 »

Well, since this is a spoiler thread, I can give the hints. :P

I knew better than to try and kill Tharoc, who I guessed was him from the pic.

I died first time by drinking the vial of poison.  After that, each time I came across a multiple choice, I went for what I thought you wanted, not what I would have done as a stubborn Remusian.  Not to say I didn't make mistakes.  I killed the dwarf's mount and had to promise him my horse to appease him.

I think the length was good.  I assume by the way it ended, that it can be added to with new missions, etc.  So, if one wished it to be longer later, they could string a few of these missions together.

I would like to see more modules done this way.

My only suggestion, is that it seemed there were too many ways to die.  Like I stated, I played it many times after winning in order to go on each path.  I'd like to see more ways to win, without having to be so perfect.  I may not have found all of the alternate winning paths, so forgive me if I'm wrong.  But in the early going, the only one I found was in killing the dwarf's mount and still going on.  Then later, on how I protected the wounded Tharoc, either threateningly or with a shout to halt, both are acceptable.  Most other choices in the game are either right, go forward, or wrong, get killed.

But, like I said, I may not have found them all.  I played it maybe 12-15 times after wining, and only ever won one more time, though I was purposely playing to take different choices so it would skew my results toward failure.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2010, 07:20:52 »

I didn't seem to have the problem with the poison vial, but I've got a bit of an overdeveloped sense of self-preservation and I knew the Susilgerim used poison. The only time I came close to death was when the dwarves wanted me dead (I couldn't remember the name) and the business with the orcs after you lose the spear. I'll blame a weighted background though. If you tried to put someone who didn't know the region well, or a newbie through the module they might be apt to make some rather fatal mistakes.
Perhaps not throwing options that result in a game over at the player right away would be a good idea?
« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 07:26:49 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2010, 14:19:26 »

I went back to Nepris.

Is there anyway to combine elements of both story types?

I like the freeflowing style of this new module, but IO like the battle and gathering of items with the other type.

Anyway to combine these two styles?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2010, 15:08:35 »

@Valan & Altario: Concerning the fast "game overs" - yeah, that's something Grinch and I pointed out as well, because death that happens instantly without you really being able to do anything against it definitely can be annoying. So I helped a bit easing a bit of that, but there can be done much more in this regard of course, on the other hand it shouldn't be too simple either. But for example there are now three ways how to get over the crucial Morden question: By answering correctly, by finding the medal and using it when death is near, and you can talk yourself out of it. If there are further suggestions where we could ease other death situations and give the player a chance to get out of it once he/she actually got into serious trouble, I guess we'd be glad to implement it.

BTW: As you point out, Altario, there are some decisions in the game that actually don't affect how the story continues, these were basically made to strengthen the interactive component. You get some other texts here and there, but the result will be the same. We've added those later, so that the player doesn't have to read through long passages, but has - literally - a say in this. These are things you learn when trying your hand on game designing. Makes the game more interesting, adds a bit of salt. :)

@Altario: As it all works with the Santhworld engine, we could have items and combat like in the Nepris module in this kind of modules as well, sure. It all depends how you approach it in your concept - but anyone who'd like to try his/her hand on making a similar module (perhaps with items and combat) is of course welcome to do so. I'd be happy to assist in getting on the way.

Back to the Enemy: The good thing with such modules is that they can be relatively easy updated or expanded and thus improve the experience for the next players. You could always add a side branch where it makes sense without getting in the way of the main story, or make some passage more interactive, give further choices, ease death situations to give the player more chances to get out and so on. Or even to continue with another mission, or deal with the actual battle that might ensue after the Enemy ends. Whatever makes the module even more entertaining can't be wrong.

But overall I think Seeker did a briliant job here with integrating graphics, writing a suspenseful story, getting various typical Santharian, or let's say in this case: Caelerethian things in, even letting well-known characters appear - it turned out wonderful all in all!  thumbup
« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 15:16:32 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2010, 15:14:22 »

I concur, Seeker made a grand story.  And the hero!  Right up there with Aragorn and Conan et al.  I'm thinking Brad Pitt in the movie version. rolleyes

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2010, 20:33:15 »

Great story, just popped over and did it. I confess to cheating a little (the poison and not killing Tharoc) and I died on the first go because I handed over the artifact instead of the medal which I thought the option meant! Ooops! But really, great great story. Kudos to Seeker

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2010, 22:17:50 »

Thanks for the compliments guys. Let me tell you that it was a lot of fun to put together.  So if any of you are thinking of doing something similar it is worth it!  Think I mentoned this before that the hardest part is having enough related pictures to populate a story.  So if nay of you try and tackle a story like this I could probably help with one or two pics to help fill in the areas that you need. But it is a good idea to make sure that you can use the current pictures out there for the bulk of your story.

OVerall the suggestions you guys gave are really good ones.  Many of them Art and I discussed as were editing the story.  So I am glad you are seeing the same things we saw.   

Valan, I am impressed you knew that Susligerim use poison, I dug that litlle fact from deep in the entry.  Good job!

Alt I can't beleive you tried to poison the Krumhorn, what kind of Northerner are you?

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2010, 22:26:45 »

A carnivorous northerner.!  To be honest, I have yet to create a flora entry of any kind.  Closest I ever came was an update of the Icemilk Plant, and that's not even a northern plant. huh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.