Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Odomon Sword  (Read 9612 times)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« on: 26 April 2010, 07:45:29 »

The Odomon is a Remusian sword of great reputation. Said to be able to slice through common steel in the hands of a master, the skill and discipline which go into not only wielding this sword, but making it as well, mean that there are few of them, and they are most often passed within families as heirlooms. Since the death of the great blacksmith Odomon, none have been able to replicate these swords, and so they are considered more precious than gold.

Description
The Odomon is a hand-and-a-half sword of unique construction. It is a single edged blade, the back of the weapon is thicker and flat forming a very thin wedge, which tapers up to a point for stabbing much in the manner of the Remusian Warsword. The dimensions of the blade are dissimilar from those of the Remusian Warsword. It is at least a full ped long, though because blades were tailor made to their owners they can vary quite a bit from this mean, while the blade is a little more than a half-palmspan from the edge to the back. The grip of the weapon is at least a palmspan and a half though some weapons, later examples of Odomon's work, boast a grip of two palmspans. Regardless of length, the grip bears a distinctive "waisted" grip, where the grip becomes wider towards the middle, below the spot where the first hand should sit and above the half-grip for the second hand.

It is unknown exactly what process or technique Odomon used to make his weapons. Gathorn iron is notoriously difficult to work with as well as being highly brittle. The blades all bear a distinctive pattern in the steel, as though they had been engraved with an incredibly fine needle. This pattern, which resembles a series of waves across the surface of the steel, distinguishes true Odomon blades from later imitations.

The guard of the weapon is often quite elaborate, being engraved with some symbol of importance to the owners, or simply the blade's name.

Instead of a crossguard, the Odomon has a guard which traverses the length of the handle and connects at the base of the weapon. When it can be had, fyrite is used to cover the guard so that cold does not cause it to stick to skin.

The grip of the Odomon, wrapped in wison leather, or carteloreen skin, is broken up to be used either one handed, from the back of a horse or with a shield. The second part of the grip, smaller than the main grip below the blade, is for use on the ground fighting two handed or for stabbing motions. The luckiest weapons are said to have grips wrapped in the leather made from a blue Berg pony, one of the strange blue foals that sometimes are born from otherwise ordinary Kor'och Fey Mologh horses. These weapons usually have a matching blue scabbard, and are the rarest of Odomon blades.

Usage
The Odomon is a weapon exclusive to the Remusian men of Northern Sarvonia. The weapons are few and far between and those existing pieces are guarded jealously and passed down through family lines. These weapons often bear names, sometimes inscribed into the guard of the sword or along the blade, often quite poetic. The most famous is the sword of Remusian kings, passed down in an unbroken line for over a century. Called "Scion of Battles" in Remusian, this sword is always passed on to the heir to the throne upon interring the deceased ruler, no sooner. To do otherwise is thought to be an ill omen for the heir to the throne, and is thought to be the will of the spirit of the blade.
Odomon is revered among Remusian smiths for the work he did with steel. Remusians admit that it takes smiths of incredible skill to make something worthwhile out of Gathorn Iron. It would take a master to make useful steel out of the ore, and Odomon's weapons are far more than mere useful steel. Whatever he did with metal, it is said that he traded for materials to make his mystifying swords, with tribes further to the south, wandering elves and even dwarves if he was able.
The saying goes that "It took the world to make the metal, but a Remusian to forge the sword."

Fighting Style
The most obvious advantage to the Odomon is that it can be wielded from horseback or on foot. Those who possess an Odomon are said to be the most disciplined of fighters who need never lose so long as they have trust in their swords. The weapon's strange construction also makes it incredibly difficult to break. The back of the sword seems to be much more flexible than the edge, which resembles conventional Gathorn iron more closely though somehow avoids its brittle quality.

The style of fighting with the Odomon varies whether on foot or on horseback. While riding, the weapon is used much as a sabre would be, cutting from the saddle against foes afoot. While on foot, the emphasis is on the strength of the blow, and the speed at which it is made. Using two hands, making broad swings across the front of the blade, or striking with overhand blows. The tip of the weapon is capable of stabbing charging enemies so that some will use the Odomon like a foreshortened spear, bracing themselves to impale their enemy with the point.

Origin/History
Odomon, after who the swords are named, is said to have been the greatest smith in Remusian history. Despite his somewhat unorthodox practices, Odomon managed to produce swords finer than any other, and true Odomon blades are considered to be the pinnacle of Remusian smith work. Odomon was a devout follower of the old Ice Tribes pantheon, and paid them reverence as he made his blades. He was said to have refused to forge swords for followers of Kor'och on principle. Odomon never married, died childless and had never taken an apprentice. The secrets of his craft he guarded so closely that none had more than the meanest inkling of the process and so the secret of his swords was taken with him to the grave.

Journal entry of a merchant by the name of Vyus Bermith:

"It was during the summer of 1586 that I arrived in the Remusian city of Sorsokon. I was determined that I was going to learn the secrets of the Odomon Blade by going to the source; Odomon himself. If he had a first name, or last as I'm not entirely sure which is the one he used, he was as secretive about it as he was about his craft.  I must say that I was disappointed in both the man and his establishment. After seeing first hand some of his creations, and the mystique attributed to them, I expected more than what I got when I finally found this one named wonder. A small man, wrinkled, bald and thin, he did not have the look of one who bends steel to his will. As well, his smithy was a small attachment to his home, neither large nor fancy. I could not see it well, for he forbade anyone access to his smithy or home, and was very forceful in chasing away those who came too close.

Still, I had travelled far and was not about to be deterred. I took to spying on the smith as he went about his work. Though I could not see how he worked the steel, I was to learn that Odomon was a pious man. He would spend long hours in prayer, the sword in its unfinished form before him like some altar. He spoke not only to the gods, Ertemmir, Chelinor, and Peierojon as well as Necteref, but I would see him whispering to the sword itself, as though it were alive. I would have simply dismissed it as him being of poor sanity, but something in the way he talked and held it sent a shiver up my spine.

Though I never got to see his technique up close, I could not help but get drawn into the life he breathed into the sword. The day the owner of the sword arrived to take ownership of the sword, I saw Odomon shed tears as he gave it away. Indeed, I shed one as well, though I cannot fully explain why. It seems that in the weeks I observed the smith and his sword, a part of me was placed into that blade as well.

Perhaps that is the true secret of the Master Smith."

Others have since attempted to produce similar results, in part due to the value of true Odomon-crafted swords, but the best imitations have been unable to withstand the same rigors as their authentic counterparts. Some more unscrupulous individuals have even attempted to sell these lesser imitations as true Odomon swords which have often broken horribly under the stress of battle, much to the dismay, and often leading to the death, of their owners. It has since been declared a crime to claim as authentic any imitation Odomon sword, the punishment being to have all of the bones in one hand crushed.

Part of the process of forging such weapons involves prayers to the gods. Of special mention have always been Ertemmir, to make the steel true and sharp, Necteref ,to make the edge eager to killing, Peierojon, to kindle the fire within the spirit and Chelinor, to strengthen the arm of the warrior that holds the sword. These prayers were meant to ask the gods to awaken the spirit within the metal and let it have life. It is for this reason that many Odomon swords bear names, since it is considered improper to let something which is alive go unnamed. Odomon is told to have once said to a man who questioned his practice of naming swords "This sword is as a son to me. Would you sir raise a son and send him out into the world without so much as a name?

Odomon made great ceremony of presenting the sword to its master, often telling him the name of the sword when he did so. It is said that when Odomon forged his last blade he knew that his hands would grow weak, and so not wishing to linger as a weak man, gave his all into the creation of the weapon. When he finally gave this sword to the man who would wield it, he is told to have said "This is the finest sword I will ever make. If, on the field of battle, you should find Kor'och, Kor'och will be cut."
And then he died on the spot. The weapon he had forged he had named "Student of War" and it went on to become the blade of many other stories.

It is surmised by modern Compendumists, that this is a harkening back to the Forsaken Blade, and no real spirit is imbued into these otherwise beautiful and deadly weapons. But, the Remusians hold fast to their beliefs. And also their weapons.

It is estimated that a little more than one hundred blades were forged by Odomon before his death. Of these blades, less than one hundred are still known to exist. Though these swords are said to be unbreakable, the weapons have been variously lost, stolen or in some incredibly odd cases sold. One story of an orcish warlord with an Odomon sword is told in quiet voices, as is the tale of the Remusian boy who traveled to kill the warlord and take back his family's sword.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2010, 01:59:18 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2010, 10:46:08 »

Hi Valan :)  Comments in Azure

The Odomon is a Remusian sword of some repute. The skill and discipline which go into not only wielding this sword, but making it as well, mean that there are few of them, and they are most often passed within families as heirlooms.  The way you state this does not relay the fact that this sword is no longer in production and may confuse the reader.

Description
The Odomon is a hand-and-a-half sword of unique construction. It is a single edged blade, the back of the weapon is thicker and flat forming a very thin wedge, which tapers up to a point for stabbing much in the manner of the Remusian Warsword. The dimensions of the blade dissimilar from the Remusian Warsword. It is at least a full ped long, while the blade is a little more than a half-palmspan from the edge to the back . The grip of the weapon is at least a palmspan and a half though some weapons, more recent creations, boast a grip of two palmspans.  Again, because it is no longer in production, there would be no "more recent" creations.  However, see my notes in the origins section.

The blade itself is composed of two metals, more flexible red steel for the back, and hrd steel made from Galthorn Iron for the edge.  I think you should stay away from specifics here.  I would like this Odomon Blade to have the spirituality of a Katana, but the physical attributes of Damascus Steel.  If we need to detail the swords from a Dev perspective this might work, but for In World knowledge, I want the details to be hazy, with a mythical element to it.  Almost like you are describing an artifact.  This isn't a skill that was passed down.  A lost art. The guard of the weapon often quite elaborate, being engraved with some symbol of importance to the owners, or simply a name.
Instead of a crossguard, the Odomon has a guard which traverses the length of the handle and connects at the base of the weapon. When it can be had, fyrite is used to cover the guard so that it does not stick to gauntlets or burn skin.

The grip of the Odomon, wrapped in wison leather, or cartorleen skin, is broken up to be used either one handed, from the back of a horse or with a shield. The second part of the grip, smaller than the main grip below the blade, is for use on the ground fighting two handed or for stabbing motions. The luckiest weapons are said to be wrapped in the leather made from a blue Berg pony, one of the strange blue foals that sometimes are born from otherwise ordinary Kor'och Fey Mologh. Good.  I like that.  Maybe have the scabbard made with blue hide to match.  Keep it rare even among these swords.

Usage
The Odomon is a weapon exclusive to the Remusian men of Northern Sarvonia. The weapons are few and far between and those existing pieces are guarded jealously and passed down through family lines. Indeed, many families whose names include"ohm-Suahrd" can trace this back to an ancestral weapon that has passed through their family for generations. These weapons often bear names, sometimes inscribed into the guard of the sword or along the blade, often quite poetic. The most famous is the sword of Remusian kings, passed down in an unbroken line for over a century. Called "Peacebringer" in Ancient Remusian, this sword is always passed on to the heir to the throne upon interring the deceased rule, no sooner. To do otherwise is thought to be an ill omen for the heir to the throne, and is thought to be the will of the spirit of the blade. Couple of things here: first is that Odomon lived in the late 1500's, so I'm not sure "ancient" should be used here.  Second, is that "Peacebringer" is not really a name the Remusians would find inspiring.  They are not as civilized as southern tribes.  What gets their blood going are words of war, bravery, valour, etc.  "Peacemaker" would seem a bit milquetoast by comparison.

They are forced to trade for the materials to make these fantastic swords, since Galthorn Iron is notoriously difficult to work with, let alone make into steel and is often far too rigid to make a longer blade such as the Odomon. The saying goes that it Took the world to make the metal, but a Remusian to forge. Red steel is traded from further south, while Fyrite is occasionally traded from dwarves, or obtained second hand from the wandering Elvish tribes of the north.   Again, in keeping with the lost art theme, too much tech info is given here.  On the plus side, I love the "It took the world to make the metal, but a Remusian to forge".  Excellent.

Fighting Style
The most obvious advantage to the Odomon is that it can be wielded from horseback or on foot. Those who possess an Odomon are said to be the most disciplined of fighters who need never lose so long as they have trust in their swords. The weapon's construction also makes it incredibly difficult to break, since the back of the blade is made a more flexible metal than the front, offering it

The style of fighting with the Odomon varies whether on foot or on horseback. While riding, the weapon is used much as a sabre would be, cutting from the saddle against foes afoot. While on foot, the emphasis is on the strength of the blow, and the speed at which it is made. Using two hands, making broad swings across the front of the blade, or striking with overhand blows. The tip of the weapon is capable of stabbing charging enemies so that some will use the Odomon like a foreshortened spear, bracing themselves to impale their enemy with the point.

Origin/History
Odomon, after who the swords are named, is said to have been one "The best".  As far as Remusians go.  One of the best in Sarvonia, but "The Best" in Remusia.  One of the few times we can use a definitive in developing. :) of the greatest smiths in Remusian history. Despite his somewhat unorthodox practices, Odomon managed to produce swords finer than any other, and true Odomon blades are considered to be the pinnacle of Remusian smith work. Others have since attempted to produce similar results, but they are few and far between, and the relative scarcity of materials means that of the already limited number of Remusian smiths, only a bare handful are capable of producing such weapons.  Since the art was lost, none can truly duplicate it.  Maybe say that because of the value placed on a true Odomon Blade, there have been many who have tried to recreate them.  The quality of these swords vary, but none have matched an authentic Odomon Blade.  Most of these blades are known by the smiths who created them, but there have been unscrupulous smiths as well as those trading in these swords who sell those forgeries as true Odomon Blades.  There have been reports where purchasers have not discovered the deception until their sword has failed them, more often than not, in battle, resulting in their death.  Therefore, it has now become a serious crime to claim a sword as an Odomon Blade that is not authentic.

Part of the process of forging such weapons involves prayers to the gods, particularly Ertemmir, Necteref, Peierojon and Chelinor, to awaken the spirit within the metal and let it have life. It is for this reason that many Odomon swords bear names, since it is considered improper to let something which is alive go unnamed.  Are there any stories that can be told, maybe related by a witness, that can help to stress the spiritual side to this blade?  I want the reader to know that Odomon's heart and soul went into the creation of each blade.  That he needed the help of the gods to create them.  These were so much more than a weapon of war for the average soldier.  These were works of art that he knew would be passed from father to son.  Maybe a quick mention of what the god could add to the forging, as a casual reader won't know who any of these gods are.  You won't have to go in depth, because, like the technical side, it will have been lost after Odomon's death.  Speaking of which, maybe a quick mention of Odomon as the man.  That he died old, unmarried with no children.  That he jealously guarded his secrets and did not share them with anyone, and never took an apprentice.  The more eccentric he was, the more the mystic surrounding him.

It is surmised by modern  Compendumists, that this is a harkening back to the Forsaken Blade, and no real spirit is imbued into these otherwise beautiful and deadly weapons. But, the Remusians hold fast to their beliefs. And also their weapons.  Maybe we can estimate the number of swords that Odomon created in his life, as well as an estimate of those still in existence.  I would keep the numbers in the low couple of hundred created, and less than one hundred in existence.  Also, maybe mention that of the blades that are known, that no Odomon Blade has ever known to have failed, thus adding to the legendary status of these blades.

Overall, a great start to this weapon.  Needs a little fleshing out and a bit of painting with the colour "awe".  This, in Terran terms, would be a Hatori Hanzo sword, if you are a Kill Bill fan.  To own one sets you apart from everyone else.  Even Altario's brother does not have one. :D
« Last Edit: 26 April 2010, 10:59:07 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2010, 12:20:41 »

I also had the thought that the Kor'och followers might shun these weapons, since they're associated with the old Ice Tribes pantheon.

Also, I've always liked the line "If, on your journey, should you encounter God, God will be cut." I've got to figure something along those lines. Hatori Hanzo had to have been my favourite character, just for his personality.  grin

Changes is red

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2010, 02:37:42 »

Okay, I'll be going through this again.  This time I shall be nit-picky from a Remusian POV.  Again, my comments will be a perfect Azure blue.  Edits are in Mango.

My first comment.  I like the sound of Odomon Blade as opposed to Odomon Sword.  It seems to flow better.  Any chance you might rename?  In the text, you can refer to it as a sword, which it is, but as for the name, I prefer Blade.

The Odomon is a Remusian sword of some repute. The skill and discipline which go into not only wielding this sword, but making it as well, mean that there are few of them, and they are most often passed within families as heirlooms. Since the death of the great blacksmith Odomon, none have been able to replicate these swords, and so they are considered more precious than gold.

Description
The Odomon is a hand-and-a-half sword of unique construction. It is a single edged blade, the back of the weapon is thicker and flat forming a very thin wedge, which tapers up to a point for stabbing much in the manner of the Remusian Warsword. The dimensions of the blade dissimilar from the Remusian Warsword.  This sentence confuses me.  "...of the blade are dissimilar to the Remusian..." perhaps? It is at least a full ped long, while the blade is a little more than a half-palmspan from the edge to the back . The grip of the weapon is at least a palmspan and a half though some weapons, later swords,  again you confuse me.  If you are referring to swords created later in Odomon's life, maybe it should be mentioned, otherwise the reader might assume you mean later swords as in 100 years later boast a grip of two palmspans. Regardless of length, the grip bears a distinctive "waisted" grip, where the grip becomes wider towards the middle, below the spot where the first hand should sit and above the half-grip for the second hand.

It is unknown exactly what process or technique Odomon used to make his weapons. Galthorn iron is notoriously difficult to work with as well as being highly brittle. The blades all bear a distinctive pattern in the steel, as though they had been engraved with an incredibly fine needle. This pattern, which resembles a series of waves across the surface of the steel, distinguishes true Odomon blades from later imitations.

The guard of the weapon often quite elaborate , being engraved with some symbol of importance to the owners, or simply a name.
Space
Instead of a crossguard, the Odomon has a guard which traverses the length of the handle and connects at the base of the weapon. When it can be had, fyrite is used to cover the guard so that it does not stick to gauntlets or burn skin. I'm not sure what you mean here.

The grip of the Odomon, wrapped in wison leather, or cartorleen carteloreen skin, is broken up to be used either one handed, from the back of a horse or with a shield. The second part of the grip, smaller than the main grip below the blade, is for use on the ground fighting two handed or for stabbing motions. The luckiest weapons are said to be wrapped in the leather made from a blue Berg pony, one of the strange blue foals that sometimes are born from otherwise ordinary Kor'och Fey Mologh horses. These weapons usually have a matching blue scabbard, and are the rarest of Odomon blades.

Usage
The Odomon is a weapon exclusive to the Remusian men of Northern Sarvonia. The weapons are few and far between and those existing pieces are guarded jealously and passed down through family lines. Indeed, many families whose names include"ohm-Suahrd" can trace this back to an ancestral weapon that has passed through their family for generations.  This is a good attempt to bring in a name to tie in the Odomon Blades, but these names are some of the oldest in Remusian culture, and predate Odomon by a thousand years These weapons often bear names, sometimes inscribed into the guard of the sword or along the blade, often quite poetic. The most famous is the sword of Remusian kings, passed down in an unbroken line for over a century. Called "Scion of Battles" in Remusian, this sword is always passed on to the heir to the throne upon interring the deceased rule, no sooner. To do otherwise is thought to be an ill omen for the heir to the throne, and is thought to be the will of the spirit of the blade.
Space
Odomon is revered among Remusian smiths for the work he did with steel. Whatever he did with metal, it is said that he traded for the materials to make his mystifying swords, with tribes further to the south, wandering elves and even dwarves if he was able. Followers of Kor'och however, shun the Odomon blades because of their association with the old Ice Tribes pantheon of gods. I don't know if this is workable.  Regardless of which belief they would have, they are very practical and a weapon of this quality wouldn't be refused or sold to obtain an inferior weapon.
The saying goes that "It took the world to make the metal, but a Remusian to forge the sword."

Fighting Style
The most obvious advantage to the Odomon is that it can be wielded from horseback or on foot. Those who possess an Odomon are said to be the most disciplined of fighters who need never lose so long as they have trust in their swords. The weapon's strange construction also makes it incredibly difficult to break. The back of the sword seems to be much more flexible than the edge, which resembles Galthorn iron more closely though somehow avoid's its brittle quality.

Origin/History
Odomon, after who the swords are named, is said to have been the greatest smith in Remusian history. Despite his somewhat unorthodox practices, Odomon managed to produce swords finer than any other, and true Odomon blades are considered to be the pinnacle of Remusian smith work. Odomon was a devout follower of the old Ice Tribes pantheon, and paid them reverence as he made his blades. He was said to have refused to forge swords for followers of Kor'och on principle. Odomon never married, died childless and had never taken an apprentice. The secrets of his craft he guarded so closely that none had more than the meanest inkling of the process and so the secret of his swords was taken with him to the grave.

To help illustrate the mystique of Odomon, I wrote an eye witness account.  Feel free to use it, rewrite it, or ignore it.  :)

It was during the summer of 1586 that I arrived in the Remusian city of Sorsokon.  I was determined that I was going to learn the secrets of the Odomon Blade by going to the source; Odomon himself.  If he had a first name, or last as I'm not entirely sure which is the one he used, he was as secretive about it as he was about his craft.  I must say that I was disappointed in both the man and his establishment.  After seeing first hand some of his creations, and the mystique attributed to them, I expected more than what I got when I finally found this one named wonder.  A small man, wrinkled, bald and thin, he did not have the look of one who bends steel to his will.  As well, his smithy was a small attachment to his home, neither large nor fancy.  I could not see it well, for he forbade anyone access to his smithy or home, and was very forceful in chasing away those who came too close.

Still, I had travelled far and was not about to be deterred.  I took to spying on the smith as he went about his work.  Though I could not see how he worked the steel, I was to learn that Odomon was a pious man.  He would spend long hours in prayer, the sword in its unfinished form before him like some altar.  He spoke not only to the gods, Ertemmir, Chelinor, and Peierojon as well as Necteref, but I would see him whispering to the sword itself, as though it were alive.  I would have simply dismissed it as him being of poor sanity, but something in the way he talked and held it sent a shiver up my spine.

Though I never got to see his technique up close, I could not help but get drawn into the life he breathed into the sword.  The day the owner of the sword arrived to take ownership of the sword, I saw Odomon shed tears as he gave it away.  Indeed, I shed one as well, though I cannot fully explain why.  It seems that in the weeks I observed the smith and his sword, a part of me was placed into that blade as well

Perhaps that is the true secret of the Master Smith.

Others have since attempted to produce similar results, in part due to the value of true Odomon-crafted swords, but the best imitations have been unable to withstand the same rigors at their authentic counterparts. Some more unscrupulous individuals have even attempted to sell these lesser imitations as true Odomon swords which have often broken horribly under the stress of battle, much to the dismay, and often leading to the death, of their owners. It has since been declared a crime to claim as authentic any imitation Odomon sword, the punishment being to have all of the bones in one hand crushed.

Part of the process of forging such weapons involves prayers to the gods. Of special mention have always been Ertemmir, to make the steel true and sharp, Necteref ,to make the edge eager to killing, Peierojon, to kindle the fire within the spirit and Chelinor, to strengthen the arm of the warrior that holds the sword. Much better.  I like that. :) These prayers were meant to ask the gods to awaken the spirit within the metal and let it have life. It is for this reason that many Odomon swords bear names, since it is considered improper to let something which is alive go unnamed. Odomon is told to have once said to a man who questioned his practice of naming swords "This sword is as a son to me. Would you sir raise a son and send him out into the world without so much as a name?"

Odomon made great ceremony of presenting the sword to its master, often giving him the name for the sword when he did so. It is said that when Odomon forged his last blade he knew that his hands would grow weak, and so not wishing to linger as a weak man, gave his all into the creation of the weapon. When he finally gave this sword to the man who would wield it, he is told to have said "This is the finest sword I will ever make. If, on the field of battle, you should find Kor'och, Kor'och will be cut."  And then he died on the spot.  That is how legends and myths are born.  Whether its true or not matters little.  (Prolly not true, but stil...)

It is surmised by modern Compendumists, that this is a harkening back to the Forsaken Blade, and no real spirit is imbued into these otherwise beautiful and deadly weapons. But, the Remusians hold fast to their beliefs. And also their weapons.

It is estimated that a little more that than, not that one hundred blades were forged by Odomon before his death. Of these blades, less than one hundred are still known to exist. Though these swords are said to be unbreakable, the weapons have been variously lost, stolen or in some incredibly odd cases sold. One story of an orcish warlord with an Odomon sword is told in quiet voices, as is the tale of the Remusian boy who traveled to kill the warlord and take back his family's sword.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2010, 03:05:07 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2010, 03:30:17 »

Right the fyrite. To avoid the whole "licking a telephone pole" deal with the guard.

Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2010, 03:59:27 »

I am certainly not a sword expert but it would seem that a guard which traverses the length of the handle (I assume it connects at the top and bottom of the handle)  would prevent the user from being able use it with two hands.  That type of guard is usually only used for one handed weapons I think.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2010, 04:06:36 »

Admittedly, I wondered at having a basket too.  It might work, though it may impede movement somewhat.

Seeker

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2010, 04:08:41 »

Does the blade curve or is it straight?

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2010, 05:40:22 »

This is what I think I've based it on. They call it a Grossemesser (Large knife). German sword, 15/16th century. It looks a little off, so it might be closser to a Kriegmesser (War Knife) which was a two-handed weapon (meter and a half long) from the same era.

@Seeker/Alt It's not a proper basket, since it's just a single "line" or bracket of metal that makes up the guard, and I've left off the quillons since it doesn't quite seem to fit with Remusian aesthetic.

The difference here is that I've sort of ignored what they've done with the guard (the actual weapon there has a proper circular guard at the hilt, in addition to the bit that passes over the grip and the two quillons.

It shouldn't impede the movement at all. It's really just there to keep someone from taking a slash at the fingers. As long as the grip is long enough, you can you use it two handed.

Seeker

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2010, 05:55:38 »

Yep, that looks like it will work.  thumbup

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2010, 04:44:51 »

Right. I think I've sorted out the last of the nitpicks. Sorry it took so long.
Edits variously in Silver and lime because Valan can't keep his head straight with a cold.

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2010, 22:34:22 »

Hi Valan,

Just thought I'd give your entry a quick once-over, so here goes. Comments in green, changes in blue.

The Odomon is a Remusian sword of some repute. Only some? This is a bit feeble compared to the "more precious than gold". Try, maybe, "vast" or "great".The skill and discipline which go into not only wielding this sword, but making it as well, mean that there are few of them, and they are most often passed within families as heirlooms. Why would the skill needed to wield them affect the number that exist? It seems to me you've tacked on the bit about Odomon rather than weaving it into what you've written. Also, this next bit does not convey that only Odomon could make them. It implies that he was the last to be able to make them. There's a difference.Since the death of the great blacksmith Odomon, none have been able to replicate these swords, and so they are considered more precious than gold.

Description
The Odomon is a hand-and-a-half sword of unique construction. It is a single edged blade, and the back of the weapon is thicker and flat forming a very thin wedge, which tapers up to a point for stabbing much in the manner of the Remusian Warsword. That last looks set up for a list which never comes. Add an "and".The dimensions of the blade are, however, quite dissimilar from those of the Remusian Warsword. It is at least a full ped long, while the blade is a little more than a half-palmspan from the edge to the back . The grip of the weapon is at least a palmspan and a half though some weapons, later examples of Odomon's work, boast a grip of two palmspans. Regardless of length, the grip bears a distinctive "waisted" grip, where the grip becomes wider towards the middle, below the spot where the first hand should sit and above the half-grip for the second hand.

It is unknown exactly what process or technique Odomon used to make his weapons. Galthorn iron is notoriously difficult to work with as well as being highly brittle. The blades all bear a distinctive pattern in the steel, as though they had been engraved with an incredibly fine needle. This pattern, which resembles a series of waves across the surface of the steel, distinguishes true Odomon blades from later imitations.How? Surely anyone can replicate a wave pattern? This needs to be explained - maybe no-one can engrave Galthorn iron and Odomon's techniques are needed. Just a thought.

The guard of the weapon often quite elaborate , being engraved with some symbol of importance to the original owners, or simply a name.

Instead of a crossguard, the Odomon has a guard which traverses the length of the handle and connects at the base of the weapon. When it can be had, fyrite is used to cover the guard so that it the cold does not cause it to stick to skin.

The grip of the Odomon, wrapped in wison leather, or carteloreen skin, is broken up to be used either one handed, from the back of a horse or with a shield. The second part of the grip, smaller than the main grip below the blade, is for use on the ground fighting two handed or for stabbing motions. ? What does this mean. You break off mid-sentence just here. Try "is broke up to be used either one or two handed. The top part of the grip is used for fighting with a shield or on horseback, whereas the second part is for a warrior's left hand, fighting on foot, for extra power or stabbing." At the moment, the sentence goes nowhere.The luckiest weapons are said to be those wrapped in the leather made from a blue Berg pony, one of the strange blue foals that sometimes are born from otherwise ordinary Kor'och Fey Mologh horses. These weapons usually have a matching blue scabbard, and are the rarest of Odomon blades.

Usage
The Odomon is a weapon exclusive to the Remusian men of Northern Sarvonia. The weapons are few and far between and those existing pieces are guarded jealously and passed down through family lines. These weapons often bear names, sometimes inscribed into the guard of the sword or along the blade, often quite poetic. The most famous is the sword of Remusian kings, passed down in an unbroken line for over a century. Called "Scion of Battles" in Remusian, this sword is always passed on to the heir to the throne upon interring the deceased ruler, no sooner. Although I would prefer "upon the interrement of the deceased ruler" Maybe even have the son take it from his father's body just before he is buried? Ask Alt, he's the expert.To do otherwise is thought to be an ill omen for the heir to the throne, and is thought to be the will of the spirit of the blade.
Odomon is revered among Remusian smiths for the work he did with steel. Whatever he did with metal, it is said that he traded for the materials to make his mystifying swords, with tribes further to the south, wandering elves and even dwarves if he was able.

You almost de-mystify the blade here. If all Odomon did was get iron from all over the place, then he wasn't really a great smith, was he? The kudos, as it were, com efrom the fact he used this unworkable Galthorn iron, no? It wants awe, interest, mystery, rituals beseeching the gods to give the sword life and spirits and to make them unbreakable and supple. Not foreign iron. *The xenophobic Remusian pauses to uncouth shouts from Southern Sarvonians threatening anything from disembowellment to splitting* Anywho, before I run, that's my unwanted san on this area.

Fighting Style
The most obvious advantage to the Odomon is that it can be wielded from horseback or on foot.Correct me if I'm wrong, but ny one-handed sword has that advantage, no? Those who possess an Odomon are said to be the most disciplined of fighters who need never lose so long as they have trust in their swords. The weapon's strange construction also makes it incredibly difficult to break. The back of the sword seems to be much more flexible than the edge, which resembles Galthorn iron more closely though somehow avoid's Not a possesive, just a third-person singular verbits brittle quality.

Origin/History
Odomon, after who the swords are named, is said to have been the greatest smith in Remusian history. Despite his somewhat unorthodox practices, Odomon managed to produce swords finer than any other, and true Odomon blades are considered to be the pinnacle of Remusian smith work. Odomon was a devout follower of the old Ice Tribes pantheon, and paid them reverence as he made his blades. He was said to have refused to forge swords for followers of Kor'och on principle. Odomon never married, died childless and had never taken an apprentice. The secrets of his craft he guarded so closely that none had more than the meanest inkling of the process and so the secret of his swords was taken with him to the grave. Nice. Ensure no-one will ever be able to make them again. See earlier note -if it was just the iron trading, almost any smith could make them. That reminds me, is an Odomon Blade better than a normal Southern sword? Altario? Are you there?

"It was during the summer of 1586 that I arrived in the Remusian city of Sorsokon.  I was determined that I was going to learn the secrets of the Odomon Blade by going to the source; Odomon himself.  If he had a first name, or last as I'm not entirely sure which is the one he usedanother name, he was as secretive about it as he was about his craft.  I must say that I was disappointed in both the man and his establishment.  After seeing first hand some of his creations, and the mystique attributed to them, I expected more than what I got when I finally found this one-named wonder.  A small man, wrinkled, bald and thin, he did not have the look of one who bends steel to his will.  As wellIn addition, his smithy was a small attachment to his home, neither large nor fancy.  I could not see it well, for he forbade anyone access to his smithy or home, and was very forceful in chasing away those who came too close.

Still, I had travelled far and was not about to be deterred.  I took to spying on the smith as he went about his work.  Though I could not see how he worked the steel, I was to learn that Odomon was a pious man.  He would spend long hours in prayer, the sword in its unfinished form before him like some altar.  He spoke not only to the gods, Ertemmir, Chelinor, and Peierojon as well as Necteref, but I would see him whispering to the sword itself, as though it were alive.  I would have simply dismissed it as him being of poor sanity, but something in the way he talked and held it sent a shiver up my spine.

Though I never got to see his technique up close, I could not help but get drawn into the life he breathed into the sword.  The day the owner of the sword arrived to take ownership of the sword, I saw Odomon shed tears as he gave it away.  Indeed, I shed one as well, though I cannot fully explain why.  It seems that in the weeks I observed the smith and his sword, a part of me was placed into that blade as well

Perhaps that is the true secret of the Master Smith."

Others have since attempted to produce similar results, in part due to the value of true Odomon-crafted swords, but the best imitations have been unable to withstand the same rigors at their authentic counterparts. Some more unscrupulous individuals have even attempted to sell these lesser imitations as true Odomon swords which have often broken horribly under the stress of battle, much to the dismay, and often leading to the death, of their owners. It has since been declared a crime to claim as authentic any imitation Odomon sword, the punishment being to have all of the bones in one hand crushed.

Part of the process of forging such weapons involves prayers to the gods. Of special mention have always been Ertemmir, to make the steel true and sharp, Necteref ,to make the edge eager to killing, Peierojon, to kindle the fire within the spirit and Chelinor, to strengthen the arm of the warrior that holds the sword. These prayers were meant to ask the gods to awaken the spirit within the metal and let it have life. It is for this reason that many Odomon swords bear names, since it is considered improper to let something which is alive go unnamed. Odomon is told to have once said to a man who questioned his practice of naming swords "This sword is as a son to me. Would you sir raise a son and send him out into the world without so much as a name?

Odomon made great ceremony of presenting the sword to its master, often giving him the name for the sword when he did so. It is said that when Odomon forged his last blade he knew that his hands would grow weak, and so not wishing to linger as a weak man, gave his all into the creation of the weapon. When he finally gave this sword to the man who would wield it, he is told to have said "This is the finest sword I will ever make. If, on the field of battle, you should find Kor'och, Kor'och will be cut."
And then he died on the spot.  That is how legends and myths are born.  Whether it's true or not matters little.Here you need an apostrophe. But I think the vague colloquialism is a bit iffy. Try "it is".

It is estimated that a little more than one hundred blades were forged by Odomon before his death. Of these blades, less than one hundred are still known to exist. Though these swords are said to be unbreakable, the weapons have been variously lost, stolen or in some incredibly odd cases sold. One story of an orcish warlord with an Odomon sword is told in quiet voices, as is the tale of the Remusian boy who traveled to kill the warlord and take back his family's sword. If they are lost, they still exist, yes? Try re-phrasing that. Maybe join the sentences and have ", of which the whereabouts of less than one hundred are known to the Compendium.

A very nice entry, and it'll be nice to standardise the Odomon Blade. I can't believe I have a character equipped with a weapon that doesn't even have a well-defined form.

Athviaro the Remusian Xenophobe

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2010, 23:39:22 »

Was going to give this another look-over, but see that another Remusian has blazed a trail.  So, I'll wait until Valan has had a chance to go over them.

A few comments on the comments.

"It was during the summer of 1586 that I arrived in the Remusian city of Sorsokon.  I was determined that I was going to learn the secrets of the Odomon Blade by going to the source; Odomon himself.  If he had a first name, or last as I'm not entirely sure which is the one he usedanother name, he was as secretive about it as he was about his craft.  I must say that I was disappointed in both the man and his establishment.  After seeing first hand some of his creations, and the mystique attributed to them, I expected more than what I got when I finally found this one-named wonder.  A small man, wrinkled, bald and thin, he did not have the look of one who bends steel to his will.  As wellIn addition, his smithy was a small attachment to his home, neither large nor fancy.  I could not see it well, for he forbade anyone access to his smithy or home, and was very forceful in chasing away those who came too close.

The trouble with editing journal entries is that journals are written by people who may not have as good an understanding of language as you do.  Therefore, they may contain mistakes or phrases that are not grammatically correct.  (Note that this is different than writing with an accent which I do not think is correct, as these are written words spelled the same for every person speaking them regardless of accent.  Just my pet peave from other entries :P)   IE, if I was to go and reprint the Constitution of the US, or the Magna Carta, or the Diary of Anne Frank for a school report or a encyclopedic article, I couldn't go through it and make grammatical edits on my own.  I leave it to Valan whether he feels the need to change this as it is in quotations as taken directly from the journal.

And then he died on the spot.  That is how legends and myths are born.  Whether it's true or not matters little.Here you need an apostrophe. But I think the vague colloquialism is a bit iffy. Try "it is".
Actually, those were simply editor's comments and I did not expect Valan to put it in there verbatim.  I thought he would elaborate on it and tell how Odomon died on the spot, thus making it a legend rather than putting my notes in there. :)

Nice. Ensure no-one will ever be able to make them again. See earlier note -if it was just the iron trading, almost any smith could make them. That reminds me, is an Odomon Blade better than a normal Southern sword? Altario? Are you there?
I wanted these swords to be akin to Damascus Swords that, when the Europeans first encountered them, were thought of as almost magical.  A Damascus sword could break a European sword, could cleave a European helmut in two without turning the edge.  They were truly a work of art and metalurgy.  And to this day, no one has been able to truly define how and what the formula was in creating Damascus steel.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2010, 23:47:14 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2010, 00:02:17 »

Ah. Well that it explains it then Alt. I hope you're around later, I'm going to try to get this finished up for this update.

@Athviaro I borrowed the etched look from damascus steel. It's supposed to have this wave pattern in the metal. The only way that people have been able to mimic the appearance is with acid etching. We're talking minuscule detail

But to lay it out, conventional steel will be cut by someone using an Odomon blade properly. The less brittle metals, like red iron, will be bent or otherwise damaged. If you've ever seen someone split cinderblocks or wooden planks with their hands you know that it's not just a matter of strength. An Odomon blade will not cut through another sword automagically. It's a feat. An Odomon blade won't guarantee victory for someone who doesn't know the first thing about swords, but in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing? ph33r.

Granted, this is all developers' meta at the moment.

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2010, 00:14:14 »

Understood, in which case the etching simile should maybe be rethought? It does rather imply the conclusion I jumped to. Saying it looks like it has been etched is a bit confusing - the wave pattern is not really on the surface of the steel, but rather the steel itself shimmers, maybe? It's in the steel, not on the steel.

Thanks for the clarification and I hope my check helped (a bit).

Athviaro

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]