Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Netherworlds (update)  (Read 6443 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2010, 17:48:26 »

Hey Azzy! I'll read through this today and see if I can come up with anything on the Krean view. Of course, I still have to finish the third part of that Uri on Deci's entry too...

(If anyone wants to buy me a birthday present in May, a fully functional and educated clone would be most welcome!)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2010, 22:54:49 »

I might have a look later as well.

....are the realms of darkness and shadow believed in elven and human mythology to be located on the other side of the known physical world of Caelereth.
(Introduction)

..rest deep beneath the surface of Caelereth.  Many parts of the Netherworlds are said to consist of caverns located between the two sides of the complete Caelereth world, however, it is also told that there exists a barren surface on the other side, where the creatures of darkness dwell as if they were on the upper side.
(Location)

I think you should mention in the introduction already, that some think it is inside the disk.

And also mention somewhere, that 'others' (the Caelosophs) believe, that there are no demons there, but that in the core exists a piece of the void also, which surfaces at places like Ximax (the orb), maybe Ostemangar??, and soon I need it in the Rahaz-Dath also. Could be, that the Venlaken enclave would be such a place as well. Maybe people connect void effects with demons etc..

A difficult revision you have here! But you are doing well! thumbup

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2010, 02:15:21 »

Haven't had the chance to finish reading the entry yet but something caught my eye. I cannot understand what the following sentences are trying to say:

There are those Ximaxian sages who claim that an actual visit to the Netherworlds could only be possible for a mighty wizard, whose imagination is so powerful that all the possibilities he works with in order to create spells can produce whole twisted worlds in his mind in case he is heavily influenced by other magical forces. These imaginations can be fostered by the mage's belief in myths.

Azzy, could you please help me with that? Thanks!  :D

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 October 2010, 01:28:56 »

Ok. That bit makes NO sense at all.

It would be impossible for a mage of any kind to simply imagine themselves in the Netherworld. That bit is saying that a wizard, fostered by his beliefs in myths, can "will" himself to other worlds, including the Nether.

As the entry progresses (as Talia says - not an easy challenge) it would be possible to open gates to the Netherworld (but who is to say it really is the Netherworld?). Or at least, the magic used to exist long ago but not anymore.

Other ways to the Netherworld, according to some beliefs, is death (ie humans). Physical manifestations of the Netherworld are believed to be the Mists of Osthemangar and Shadespell Gorge (ie the Shades caught in-between worlds). Those will be addressed as well.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 June 2011, 00:11:14 »

Bumpeting this one up too! Bump! Bumpet! Bumpitapetee!
« Last Edit: 27 June 2011, 01:55:55 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 June 2011, 05:17:25 »

This is not forgotten, just don't know when I will get around to finishing it.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2012, 00:02:53 »

*dusts off the drafts*

I am getting back to this one. I believe I can summarize the ideas into some kind of form.

New questions/revisions in Orange

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 27 June 2012, 04:34:00 »

I've recently realized that Azhira has edited this entry already in May and added questions/revisions in orange. As the original post dates back to August 2010 I don't know exactly anymore what was edited and already checked back then and what was done now. Were the yellow edits done already back then or now, Azhira?

Anyway, I try to have a look at the orange questions/revisions (had to read up on my own ramblings as well, it's been quite a while!):

- I assume the entry, though marked yellow, is new, as the text announcing the new intro is orange... So I've checked that part and have the following comments:

The spiritually minded philosophy of the elven race has a less clearly defined belief of the Netherworlds

The Dream of the elves is composed of a multiverse of states (The word "states" seems odd here, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Better would be something like "realities", "existences", "worlds"?)

- Concerning the first question in Descriptions about elven accounts of the Netherworlds:

Well, I would say that elves don't spread such accounts. According to their beliefs they are not supposed to travel between existences, worlds, forms of reality, and have their places where they were born. Only light elves, guardians of the Tree of Life (of whose existence even less is known) can accomplish this, and the act in secrecy. So elven philosophy doesn't actually speculate on Netherworlds. They exist because they are dreamed up, but that's about it. Elves wouldn't walk rifts without reason.

- Question for Ximaxian experts! - Where are the experts who can help out here?

- Regarding Osthemangar etc.

Well, Osthemangar apparently is a portal to the Netherworlds, or as the elves would say: a rift. It connects to another existence/plane, whether it exists physically or spiritually. It's practically one and the same for the elves, because "spirit" is relative. Maybe everything on other worlds in the multiverse is just "spirit" which is nothing other than "possibility". If you pull a possibility from your magic hat it becomes real. So whether a dark creature existed elsewhere already or became real through dark magic doesn't really matter.

The black magic that caused such a rift to open or which draws the malicious entities into existence in this world of course disrupts the natural harmony. So closing that rift might be in the interest of the elves as the world is getting out of balance.

P.S. Concerning rifts and races I have to advertise for my story "Beyond the Rift" (already on site). If you haven't read this one it explains some philosophical approaches about the races and how they see rifts. If something is unclear in the story I can explain that in more detail of course.

Ok. This covers the first questions. Let me know if that makes things clearer, Azhira, and what else I should check out in particular. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.