Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Kalta'hnk/Ice Giant/Ice Biter  (Read 14842 times)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2010, 06:44:22 »

Hmm...idea...Azzy, I was just reminded of your "pet" area (I was catching up on the RP side, long story short began reading a CD with a magic thingy, linked to Rayne's Indepenent Scholar's View of Enchantments, had been reading Malexia's CD, read part about taints with extreme interest and bingo. Not very short, really.)

Anyway, how warm are areas of the Mists? I see that there are icy areas that can freeze flesh off bone, as well as oddly temperate areas, but icy areas often (well, sometimes) have volcanos - do the Mists? Because then I think a twin-myth for the Kalta'hnk and Kura'thun could be in the offing - would the Mists, over thousands of years, be able to summon these beings from ice and magma? Perhaps they were sculpted by twisted Orcen tribes and worshipped, but then were animated and descended on their worshippers in an orgy of slaughter, then when all of the orcs were gone roamed until they met the Kura'thun. A vast conflict (upwards of 500 each side?) raged over an Orcen tribe, and then added to their natural hatred as beings of ice and fire. Perhaps then a mere 200 survivors? Numbers subject to change, of course.

But maybe a vast number (say, 1000?) could have been created, but then no more? And of course this nice handy hugely destructive battle to wipe them all out...plus a reason for both to exist (I only have one double-explanation at the moment)

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2010, 06:53:05 »

The Mists can contain pretty much whatever you want them to contain. The entire region is magically tainted, warped, twisted and highly volatile where the laws of known Caelereth physics do not apply. Within reason of course...(i.e. if I like your concept or not... ;)

The Mists do not have volcanoes, however they do have chasms and pits of various substances such as ice, ooze pools, and yes perhaps magma since the earth crust below is also tainted. The Mists themselves do not summon things, but things already existing can be made to animate or behave abnormally (such as statues).

Your idea would be a fine myth, although the actual occurrence of such a thing happening would likely be non-existent. However, that is what myths are about isn't it?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2010, 06:56:52 »

Ok...ideas bubbling...just, I was thinking that you said permenant effects could be seen on a mind after a few days? Say, a week? And then, millenia would surely see biig changes?

But anyway...the Mists are little understood, it could well be a myth.

I understand that you do not want marauding invincible animated mountains careering down into Ximax or New Santhala!

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2010, 07:08:13 »

So what is going on here? I find the whole two drafts for comparison thing quite confusing and would rather you reconcile these differences and present one entry we can actually work with.

I would simply suggest that an Ximaxian or even rational, concrete explanation of these creatures be abandoned. It is not neccesary to be completely unambiguous with something which is regarded as mythical. When things like this crop up I again point to the Cairnhoom as an example of the sort of things I am looking for when a magical sentient creature is being passed off as a beast.

Though I would say that, I did write it  grin

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2010, 14:46:53 »

Ok, sorry, it is confusing.

In a simpler format, you said that I should probably cut the Ximax view. Azzy then said that she thought she agreed, but as that entailed a rather large wholesale deletion, I posted this second version so I could easily revert to the first one if needed.

One or the other will be put in the top as the main entry as soon as Azzy returns a verdict on the deletion of Ximax. The Ximax-free is the entry, but the one with Ximax is a sort of "sleeper"

It sounds more complicated than it did when I decided to do it!

Sorry,

Athviaro

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2010, 19:32:05 »

yay! there will be Kura'thun! or possibly, anyway. glad to hear it.

as for the putting the name in earlier, that's of course up to you, and i understand what you mean. don't break up the flow if you think it works, it was just an idle suggestion. ;)

and as for the Lay of Bellerius - my bad. i tried to search on site for it but i think i got Bellerius mixed with Belisarius, hence a lack of results. referencing this is good, and i'd encourage you to make as much of it as possible. :) and if you tackle writing more of it, then you have my instant respect. i find lyrical and ballad forms nigh impossible. grin

oh! and i forgot to aura for the general coolness of finally giving us the ice giants we've been needing for a while. grin
so i will.

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2010, 02:27:53 »

My verdict is that this entry should be Ximax-free. As much as I like Twen's suggested Ximaxian interpretation (in the proposal thread), I don't think it will fit here without substantial research and knowledge of the magic principles, some of which are largely unknown anyhow. The last thing we need is for this entry to be delayed while the secondary magic stuff is debated in committee.  ;)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2010, 02:36:16 »

Ok. Entry mkii will be put into the main post during prep tonight :P

I'm glad. I managed to confuse myself by the end of the Ximax view, and that is either a sign that you're losing your mind or just not getting enough sleep (probably the latter)

Athviaro

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 September 2010, 22:07:45 »

Just flagging up that this has been done now - any further comments? Good/bad bits? Just don't want to lose this.

Ok. Entry mkii will be put into the main post during prep tonight :P

I'm glad. I managed to confuse myself by the end of the Ximax view, and that is either a sign that you're losing your mind or just not getting enough sleep (probably the latter)

Athviaro

Athviaro (still)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2010, 17:12:40 »

Are the changes done here now satisfying? I'd need some input on this one!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 October 2010, 17:47:36 »

That's for Azzy to decide, I think. Any further quibbles, Azzy? I may not be able to get them fixed by the update, I'm warning you.

Athvi

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2010, 23:25:14 »

My only concern here is to make clear that these creatures are largely considered mythical to many Northern tribes, the Antislar being the exception in that to them, the ice biters are real. Additionally, ice biters are very rarely encountered and inhabit the deepest of ice caves and mountains. In other words, only a select few know where these can be located.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 November 2010, 01:18:48 »

I thought all of the northern tribes believed in the Kalta'hnk?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2010, 21:41:43 »

Ath, I'll comment more on this soon. There are a few things I need cleared up.  thumbup

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 December 2010, 01:13:40 »

Not to be pushy, but is this looking generally OK - especially from the point of view of the myth I put up yesterday? Just want to know so I can get the myth itself looking good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.