Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Teamproject: MOON - Links, General Discussions  (Read 5363 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 10 September 2010, 18:20:07 »

Important and helpful for a deeper understanding:

Caelosophy or How the World Looks Like

(Not finished yet, will be converted in an entry next year)

In this place you will find links to the different discussion threads which will come:

They are all connected together , of course, in the end we have to consider all the properties together, but for a first approach I think it is better this way.

New!

Names
Year of Darkness
Appearance, Colours

Orientation of his axis
Rising in the East?
Orbit_Velocity
Moon Phases

Older Threads about the Moon

Of further interest:

Why a cosmological model for Caelereth?
The Model II from Theo

Links for me
http://www.janeuber.de/images/mondphasen-neu-vollmond.gif
http://www.astro.com/im/mtp/image029.jpg
« Last Edit: 07 November 2010, 07:14:15 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2010, 18:58:00 »

What I would like to see as a fact for now, just because it is an easy and manageable approach. If there are good arguments (myths etc) to change that later, we can always do it, when we have decided about some other basics.

- The size of the moon matches that of the sun
- The moon moves in a circle like the sun, the circle has  the same diameter
- The moon‘s orbit lies in a plane vertical to the disk‘s plane and parallel to the sun‘s orbit plane.
-The distance between the moon‘s orbit plane to the centre of the plane is 2 Caels, to it‘s northern edge 1 Caels

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,3751.msg44421.html#msg44421

What has to be taken into consideration, because it is on the site (Judy's List) already in one or another way is following:

'cycles of the females seem to be governed by the phases of the moon '

'The Year of Vikthi, during which the Moon is the main source of light in the sky '
'they stay there for a maximum half of a moon cycle'

'linked to the phases of the moon, '

'another cycle of the moon, '

'first moon blooding '

We need to decide, if this is an important thing for the given entry or if we can change it (consistency!)
could somebody please look for the sources,  in which entry those can be found?
« Last Edit: 10 September 2010, 19:06:49 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2010, 20:46:21 »

Hey Talia,

I don't knwo that I will be able to add very much to this, so I'm not going to volunteer for a "board place", but I would just like to ask about the cycles of the moon. Essentially, is a lunar year the same as, less than, or more that a solar year? There could be some interesting myths about this, about "accidents" causing a discrepancy etc.

Just popped in to splurge an idea.

Ath.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2010, 22:27:47 »

That we will discuss in the next one or two threads, I'm just not quick enough to write and post them. We have still holidays here, which means, there is a daughter who wants to other things with me ;)

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2010, 00:47:34 »

I'll wade into this, Talia, if you'll have me.  I promise not to be a "Yes Man" and will challenge and argue with you at every turn. rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2010, 03:53:55 »

Of course I'll take you ;)

But I have to disappoint you, I will mostly only present what we can have , though, in the end, I might have an opinion also  grin

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2010, 17:21:41 »

For dev info, is it decided that the moon is a sphere?  or is it a disk?  I ask, because I stil like my fluttering disk theory, and will use that for my northern beliefs, but just wanted to know if itwas decided dev wise.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2010, 18:59:18 »

A sphere , with one side luminous white (whitish, pale yellow?), the other black/ish- I think most wanted to have moon phases as we known them, with the crescent and waxing moon as we know it...

If we would have a disk, it would look differently. Just take a plate..

We would have a full disk showing when the moon is full, then it will become an oval (but keeps the same length, direction depending on the where the axis is), which gets smaller as the disk turns around. Fairly suddenly it will vanish and you have for the same amount of time no moon, nothing to see, if you not say, that there will be a kind of corona, a faint rim of light from the white side showing at new moon as well. This however would grow as the white oval shrunk.

I don't know, what you exactly mean with a fluttering disk, in which way fluttering? Have you already described it somewhere? Why do you want it? Maybe there is a way around for you, not just a wrong interpretation of your people.

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2010, 01:12:56 »

Why is the moon a sphere, but Caelereth a disk?  veryconfused

This is confusing. Explain this whole thing in layman's terms.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2010, 03:02:58 »

The disk is a disk, because Artimidor created it this way when he started this world. Same with the sun circling in front of that disc. That idea is older than my presence here in this forum.

That the sun is a self-consuming fireball (a sphere) was pinned down finally with the sun entry, though it was something like this before as well.
The moon was first a reflection of the sun on the inner 'border' of the Void, which you could imagine as a half sphere as well. But five or more years ago, we changed that and Artimidor had the cool idea (presented it in the train to Salzburg? Don't recall if that's true or not..) that the moon could be another true celestial body on the opposite side of the disc. (That is in the North, if the sun is in the South).

As all over the whole site people speak of waxing and waning and because everybody would imagine that to look like the earthen moon  appears, it was decided, that it has to be a sphere (and cannot be a disc). Because you could not explain the phases like on earth, with a reflection of the sun's light (because the geometry is so different), we said, that the moon has a half, luminous side and a half which is (entirely) dark. This way we do get the same effect what the phases concerns as in the solar system.

If we would have a disc, it would look like I described it above. Just take a disc with a pale and dark side and turn it before your eye, and you will see, that you don't get moon phases. Only a sphere can produce that curvature.

It is not confusing, if you take the time to read all I wrote thoroughly and try to imagine what it means.

To not to confuse you all I made those different threads ! buck
Wait, till we combine them!
« Last Edit: 14 September 2010, 03:05:18 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2010, 03:18:42 »

Yeah, the facts described above is pretty much the gist of what I think is a good foundation.

In short: Caelereth = disk, located between the two heavenly bodies, sun and moon. So if we have the sun as an orb, then the moon could as well be one. To have the cosmological dichotomy the elves see in everything we might see the sun as female (light) and the moon as male (night). From there the elves might deduce a bunch of things.

Even if we take these things for granted seen from a developer's point of view (though the elven notes are just elaborations made by elves) this doesn't mean that e.g. northern tribes cannot see the moon more as a disk which is partly hidden at times when another disk obstructs it etc. Even if some thing wouldn't make "scientific sense" if someone sees things in a certain way, they could explain away problems with a mythical explanation.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2010, 23:40:10 »

I'm away till sunday, and though I have now internet at my parents home, I don't know, if I'm able to spend enough time here.

I'm planing to let those questions sit till next week and then I will see, what we have and bring this in a new form.

Seems that the horizontal axis and rising in the West is already  pretty clear?

I emailed Mira (no PM, the address from his profile) , hope he has got it. I do feel a bit unwell if he doesn't give his opinion also, for he wanted to do the moon a year ago and all agreed.

OK, till then!

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2010, 19:35:22 »

Mira has received the mail! Hurry up and hide, he might come blundering in any minute now!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2010, 16:59:31 »

Great, green man! :)

Just wanted to say, that I have to postpone the thorough look at those fantastic ideas till end of the week. Today Helen-Elise has her birthday (16! Wohoo!) and tomorrow I have to attend a funeral in Munich.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2010, 06:15:59 »

Just wanted to mention, that I have not forgotten the moon project! Unfortunately I had visitors twice this week which took away my time for Santharia. So, I will read through all this next week and summarise it.

I have some nice ideas about its appearance as well, for seeker especially , but not now..

I'm away for the weekend.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.