Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Draconian Language or Tongue.  (Read 6212 times)
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« on: 09 October 2010, 03:41:53 »

If I recall, I believe that our beloved Bard Judith was going to work on a Draconian language or tongue. I have searched all over and do not see it, therefore my conclusion is that she did not do it either because she lost interest in it, which I do not blame her for her partner, me, was supposed to help but I was not much help and disappeared for awhile during that time. *feels ashamed* Sorry Judith.

Anyway, I guess I am asking you dear Judith, if you are not too busy, if you would like to get together and we can toss a few ideas and some R'unorian Brandy around and down to come up with a Draconian tongue. However if you choose not to, I understand and I will go from there.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2010, 07:11:24 »

Caph, drag Kalina into this as well. She's our resident draconian expert. If I wasn't so darned terrible at languages, I'd join in this one.  :P

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2010, 10:55:16 »

Yay!  Yay yay yay!   The great dragon himself wants to sit down with some brandy and talk about language development?  I can't express how honoured I am.  I shall hunt up my ancient notes imjitly and find my stash of R'unorian cocktail mixes.....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2010, 18:54:09 »

Hmmmm.....it appears that all the work on Draconic / Drakonic was removed at some point, as it was very fragmentary and the key developer had vanished.    Also, I cannot find ANY of my notes.  This could be distressing, as I did put some thought and creative energy into this at one point.  Or this could be good, as it would give us a chance to start 'from scratch' without preconceptions.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2010, 08:24:01 »

See my proposal in the religion thread.

I believe that a draconic language is possible, if only spread through the years by the cult, inspired by actual draconic language long ago. Perhaps the cult knows the location of runes or dragon ruins that contain such a language.

Two places where one could actually read (or study) the draconic language would be the islands of Karma'Goor and Kalta'Goor (where ice dragons live currently ) and Wyrmrot Spire (dragon bone fields and the lore of Ezorrak'lagdan).

if you want to find physical evidence of a language of dragons, those places would be ideal as they are dragon related and hard to study (field trip to the Mists anyone?  cool)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2010, 09:55:22 »

Thanks for the research and the concept, Az!   Obviously this will be pretty fragmentary, based on the little we 'know' about dragons in Caelereth... but I like the idea of a cultic faith based on draconic 'teachings'....    Let's see what Capher and I come up with from extant knowledge and what words we can provide you.

Even a cult that has wrong, distorted, or misapplied beliefs about the race of dragons and what they believed might still have passed on words and phrases in 'Drakonic', by oral transmission - the memorized chants, songs of worship, and even entire prayers.  (Without meaning any disrespect in the comparison, rather like Latin functioned  in the Catholic church for centuries: otherwise uneducated people who could recite the Paternoster and the liturgical passages in a tongue not their own...)     

We had discussed the possibility of 'Drakonic' functioning like Latin and then decided that since it was too fragmentary it could not have influenced Tharian that extensively.  Now, of course, Gnomic fills that linguistic space very tidily and far more appropriately, as a technological tongue.

I suspect Drakonic might wind up more as German functioned - the language of philosophy and religion - for many years.  Think of Kant and Luther, and imagine them having been great, powerful, hermit dragons writing from their caves in the Swiss Alps... :) 

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2010, 15:47:57 »

Immanuel Kant the Terrible, Destoyer of Villages... grin

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2010, 23:06:01 »

or Marti'lutherion the Black Iconoklast, Priests'bane and Indulgences-Incinerator.....   :D

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2010, 04:36:25 »

That's much better than mine...  angry

Ludvi'ttgenstein the Cynykal, Lyngvistic Phylospher and Razer of Mysconceptions  shocked

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2010, 08:29:10 »

It has been frequently bandied about among the magic-inclined members that the language of magic is actually ancient draconic. It's a completely unofficial fact, of course, but trying to tie in the dragon cult linguistics with Ximaxian would be an interesting direction...

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2010, 12:30:07 »

(giggles so hard she accidentally drops a Brownie Point off the table for Ath to find later when he is sweeping up....)

@ Az:  yup, I'm hoping to incorporate that concept!  Who do you think *started* the rumour?   But making 'unofficial' facts 'official' is a particular small delight of mine, so thank you for the reminder....

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2010, 14:48:46 »

Yep, I do believe that Bard Judith started that rumor, however I believe I have been trying to get the point across not only on the RP side but on this side too, that the Draconian language is tied into the Carrr'ol or Xuea (I know my spelling is terrible) however, in my mind or idea not all dragons can do magic, only the Adamant's and their offspring can, Capher's, once I get around to his entry which should be soon, is in actuality Ol' Dem' Brey's grandson (speaking in human terms) He is probably the only dragon left who has such powerful magic running through his blood.

Judith we had at first talked about making like some sort of sign language for the language, if I recall, however I believe we both came to the conclusion that we both did not like it. When the muse does hit me I bandied around with perhaps more a Russian style of speaking, using mostly constanants and only one or two vowels, that way it would sound more gutteral. On another occasion, I thought that perhaps the language could be based upon the old Jewish language, Aramaic, this time using more vowels than consanants.

Anyway those are just some ideas that had popped into my head over the years.  I am not good at languages; I can come up with ideas, but how to implement them into some sort of a viable new language is way over my head i am afraid.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2010, 15:31:03 »

Well, it wouldn't have to be nearly as complete (shouldn't be, to tell the truth) as our extant main tongues.  It should be more similar to Mermish in the amount and variety of vocabulary.

And it will be very diverse and incomplete, in that we only have fragments, phrases, a few words here and there remaining intact or corrupted as placenames, old chants and songs, and various incantations and spells.  It would be like trying to reconstruct Latin from the Paternoster, some inscriptions on Roman tombs, and the quasi-latin spell names from Harry Potter... :)   

The wonderful thing about this project will not be coming up with a complete word list, but a realistic 'back-story', sources, and vintage-y layering, to create texture and history where nothing was before!

I love the idea of Aramaic fused with Russian as an inspiration starting point.  And let's put the verb at the beginning of the sentence!   :D

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2010, 15:40:47 »

Always end a sentence with a preposition! (Or a proposition, as I recall one senior female member correcting me with :D )

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2010, 17:05:33 »

(bats lashes)  My, fine form you must have been in.   Personally, I love propositions of which they are located anywhere and how!    As to the language, I do believe the Kuglimz like to invert their word order (ask Alysse the Likely, carefully.) so we shall have to consider how to make Drakonic unique...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1042
Latest: thanewma
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 49
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Last 10 Shouts:
Yesterday at 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...