Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Ring of Jamliso Update  (Read 12246 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2011, 23:23:25 »

Azzy, if you'd like I could delve into the Ximaxian point-of-view on how this ring functions.... been kinda studying-writing a bit of magic lately, so my brain is in the right gear. :D

Just drop me a PM if you'd like me to look it over. heart

Sure! I wouldn't mind adding a Ximaxian POV to this entry, in addition to the wild magic idea. Perhaps using Rayne's enchantments concept?

I take issue with the expectation that all magical objects/places/people have to be explained in detail using Ximaxian terms. Sometimes, magical is just magical! Mysterious and vague! The curse has no rhyme or reason either.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2011, 23:50:52 »

Well I'll endeavor to keep a speculative tone to anything I come up with. I believe when Rayne wrote that entry I piped in and my view of enchantments were not so much different from what she had written. So it should be fairly accurate to that particular entry. heart

I know you are a fan of magic just being... magical at certain points. But when you have a magical concept that is quite literally, the very fabric of the world... speculation if not some facts can be put to it. :)

Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2011, 11:27:59 »

I take issue with the expectation that all magical objects/places/people have to be explained in detail using Ximaxian terms. Sometimes, magical is just magical! Mysterious and vague! The curse has no rhyme or reason either.

I agree with you here and quite frankly I don't think anyone who commented on this thread have indicated such detail is necessary.  However Emvay does seem willing to provide such detail if you want it.  As for me I like the mystery and I don't think you need to feel like it must be added.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2011, 11:33:47 »

Having read this again, what comes to my mind is the one ring from Hobbit and LOTR ... I'm particularly thinking of how Bilbo thought it was a great thing to have, when in fact it was really doing him harm.

Not sure if that's very helpful or not, but it was what came to my mind :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2011, 21:03:55 »

Having read this again, what comes to my mind is the one ring from Hobbit and LOTR ... I'm particularly thinking of how Bilbo thought it was a great thing to have, when in fact it was really doing him harm.

Not sure if that's very helpful or not, but it was what came to my mind :D

Yes exactly! The ring seems like a boon to have, and does possess useful magics, but is harmful. The effects of the danger may not be immediate, but the curse will eventually find you.

I will write the magic in a more general, vague, way perhaps with the wild magic. Should Emvay want to add a special Ximaxian section, then I am happy to grant her credit as co-author along with me.  :)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2011, 01:04:00 »

Just checking on this one. Still cooking Azhira?

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2011, 01:18:43 »

Yes, I am working this slowly. It will be done when it's done I suppose.  :P

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2011, 08:02:49 »

I've been thinking about the magic section for this ring, and I think your best bet would be to go with a powerful wind enchantment.  Its been decided upon that Wind Necromancy will focus on communication with the spirits of the dead.  Thoughts and the mind are generally considered to be of wind so a mage accessing a spirit's thoughts or 'mind' and exposing his own to said ghost seems to fall within this school.

I know Eleyr did an entry of a spell that outlined some of the basic principles of Wind Necromancy but I can't seem to find it.  Either way, spells such as Enlightenment also illustrate what I'm talking about.

I hope that helps you with the section that Emvay was supposed to draft as she no longer seems to be active.

Edit:

Eh the spell I was thinking of was Amnesia.  Though it doesn't do what I describe, it contains many hints about the connection between wind and the way it can be used to manipulate spirits. 
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 08:05:17 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2011, 00:24:49 »

This ring will be explained using wild magic. I refuse to dive into any sort of complicated Ximaxian explanation for it, and the original entries give no indication that it ever was Ximaxian.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2011, 00:29:53 »

I'm sorry, but I don't think that is right.

Jamliso (931-972) was a moderately successful mage from the city of Ximax, best known for simplifying the casting of spells without losing their quality or strength.

Because of this he found - more or less accidentally - many simpler ways, which he termed "tightening control", but were just as effective in casting magic

Also, I think I confused this with another entry.  This ring is supposed to heal, right?  Not allow him to commune with the dead.  My bad.  buck

Edit:

Healing makes it much easier.  Its possible to heal wounds using any of the schools of magic. 
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 00:31:37 by Drasil Razorfang » Logged
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2011, 00:36:07 »

Jamliso was a mage from Ximax. That can be interpreted in a few ways. It could mean he dropped out, he was an arch-mage or he was a necromancer...likely, the ring was an accident and he never intended to create such a thing in the first place. Just because he was Ximaxian, doesn't mean the principles of Ximaxian magic was used to create the ring, that's what I meant.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2012, 01:11:40 »

So yeah. Almost a year later and I am still working to finish this entry. New ideas/directions welcomed, especially how to write the curse.  undecided

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2012, 03:48:35 »

Well, good to see that you're still thinking about finishing this one, Azhira :) Hope we can make it happen!

Though I'm not entirely sure what else to suggest concerning the curse... I can only repeat my initial suggestion, where I make clear that we don't need Ximaxian explanations at artifacts like these. And methinks that's also the direction you wanted to go...

Here's a formulated idea how the whole lore about the healing ring that is actually cursed might work:

We could consider that Jamliso was only a gifted one, who thought he could harness magic himself, and thus he tried to imbue a ring with his powers. Let's say he actually did that, so he thought that he had succeeded with creating a healing ring, but he noticed strange side effects. Say, when he wore the ring longer the balance the ring created initially resulted in a strong imbalance of the wearer's health - it was actually draining energy instead of restoring it! Jamliso couldn't handle it and didn't dare to tell others of his attempts with magic.

Well, but somehow maybe there was a situation where... hmm... thus maybe beat him up, stealing his money and stuff, and out of defiance and to impress these guys he took out his ring to heal himself, claiming that he was a powerful mage and would try a fireball next on them. Apparently the wounds healed and the thugs gave him back his money. But eventually they snatched the powerful ring when they found out that this was all he really had. Or lured him into a deadly trap.

These guys of course didn't know how to use the ring, and after some successes with using it, one of them died as he refused to let go of the ring, which would heal him. The next on took it, eventually died as well etc. Thus they say: It was cursed, while it actually was a healing ring!

That's at least a rough idea - maybe it helps! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2012, 03:51:07 »

Ok, I have re-written the entry. I believe it makes more sense now. I made the curse less confusing, as well as the history. The ring is said to have the power to heal, but Jamliso's erratic, albeit brilliant, mind became a part of the ring and the curse is something that drives the wearer a bit mad over time.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 04 May 2012, 23:01:59 »

Just read the entry, and it looks pretty good, Azhira :) While I don't remember the initial draft anymore - after all it has been more than a year now - the way the ring is described definitely doesn't pose any major problems while still maintaining the main mystery of the artifact. A detailed Ximaxian explanation isn't necessary, so there's ample room for interpretation as to how exactly it is used and where these powers come from. After all its what we don't know exactly what makes an artifact an extraordinary artifact... Jamliso could even have been a dwarf, and why not? ;) So yeah, everything seems to be possible with this ring: It could be the perfect healing ring as far as the Nethorians are concerned, and others might call it cursed, but it all depends on the perspective and what you think of it (which reminds me BTW of another short story very much in the artifacts context I plan to write at some point).

Only small thing I would suggest to still add a bit is to mention Jamliso's clumsy nature, where you haven't really delved into here. This mainly to connect it a bit better with the Jamliso entry, even though this one definitely needs an update sooner or later. But that's not really a biggie.

Here's a sentence I found weird:
The ring is also said to magically take the shape of the wearer's finger once worn.

Hmmm... When I read this I imagine the ring to look like a finger... lol But I assume you mean that the ring shapes around the wearer's finger, right?

- There's also one favor --> favour to fix.

Other than that I'm really happy how the entry turned out, Azhira! Aura +1 for you of course! clap

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]