Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dream Flower  (Read 9717 times)
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Cookie Eating Junior Frostmarker

View Profile
« on: 15 February 2011, 04:14:41 »

I'll be kinda making major changes to this plant, so bear with me.
Note: The image attached is merely a reference image. It has little to no relevance whatsoever.

Category: Medicinal Herbs > Healing Herbs

Overview:
The plant known to all by the name of 'the Dream Flower' certainly looks 'dreamy', almost looking like it's daydreaming as it stands in the frozen Forest of Contamar, in the northernmost part of North Sarvonia. The Dreamy Flower is often found around others of its kind, and when the plants begin to flower, they create a kaleidoscope of colours that match the snow that so often surrounds them - beautiful, yet seemingly insignificant. However, this plant was argued to have played a major part in revolutionizing the medical world.

Appearance:

The Dream Flower fits its name in more ways than one - and its appearance is by no means an exception. Standing there as one plant amongst many others, the flower gives off the impression of being locked in a reverie as the wind blows it one way, then another. Its large, icy blue petals are its defining features - growing up to a palmspan long, these sharply shaped petals look like ice shards arranged into a pinwheel formation. About two of these, laid from tip to tip, would measure the full length of a mature plant's stem.

The dark green stem supporting the showy parts of the flower (a.k.a. the petals) is fairly thick, especially at the base, where it spreads out into the plant's roots. Said stem is usually rather flexible, and is covered with a thick, sugary substance that prevents it from losing heat - this substance is also present inside the flower. This substance is very sweet - thus making the plant a favorite snack for some of the animals that live in the frozen forest, some of which have developed a small resistance to the drowsiness that comes with eating the plant.

Territory: The Dream Flower can be found in the mystifying Forest of Contamar, on the northernmost tip of the Iol Peninsula, Northern Sarvonia. It has also been found in some areas of the Cyhalloi mainland, albeit in small numbers. When it is taken out of its natural habitat and brought into warmer places, the substance inside it dissolves into nothing and the plant turns a considerably darker shade - roots, stem, petals and all.

Usages: Researcher Sully P. Owens has found that, under cold enough temperatures, all parts of the plant contain a very sweet white fluid that induces a simple yet extremely useful effect, - drowsiness, then eventually, various stages of sleep - on top of being able to prevent heat from escaping whatever it is covering.

The fact that the substance can induce sleep is its most useful trait - this, in itself, has a great amount of uses. Its most significant use, however, lies in the world of medicine.

"When taken in large enough quantities, the substance will induce a sleep that will render the consumer completely unconscious as to what is happening around him/her - this extends to their sense of touch, as well. They will not be able to experience any pain at all during their period of sleep," Sully P. Owens explains. "This means that otherwise extremely painful and dangerous operations can be performed with a much lower risk ratio."

Not only does the plant make insanely dangerous operations possible, but it is also an effective treatment for those who find it difficult to find sleep at night; consuming the fluid made by said plant will guarantee a sound sleep. However, consumers have to be careful that they do not drink too much of the substance, for taking said substance in large enough doses may shut the body down at a rate so fast that the consumer's heart will stop completely. Alternatively, the consumer will fall into a sleep from which it would be almost impossible to wake from, thus making the substance a favourite amongst some assassins.

There are also people who like the sweet, honey-like scent of the flower, and will use it as some sort of perfume - although only the very rich can afford this, and said person would have to be careful not to walk through any areas already inhabited by feral creatures, as a lot of animals are attracted to the scent. Some of the very rich people living in Cyhalloi would also buy this substance to utilise its primary use - taking the substance from the plant and putting it over their bodies to keep themselves warm without having to wear too much clothing; something the Evathonrhim are already doing.

Reproduction: These flowers are in full bloom all year round, relying solely on other life-forms to spread their seeds around. These life-forms initially feast on the plant's flowers, and seeds are excreted along with their waste products. Alternatively, if a half a year has passed and not one animal has eaten the flower, the plant shall release its seeds into the air, allowing the wind to carry them to wherever it will, and the seeds shall grow wherever they do land.

Myth/Lore/Origins:
The Evathonrhim Elves have a number of tales associated with this plant, one of the most notable describing a large, four-legged beast that feeds of people's dreams to survive. It may view the dreams of others, but cannot have any dreams of its own. Thanks to its terrifying appearance, and thanks to its feeding habits, the elves of a local village were very scared of it, and considered it a threat. Though it had the power of speech, nobody would listen to its claims that it meant no harm; it was driven away every time it was seen too close to the village. It did indeed mean no harm, and only wished to survive. And then an incident happened - the home of one of the village elders went up in flames, killing its inhabitants despite the cold of the winter. The culprit blamed the incident on this dream-eating beast, and claimed that he saw it performing some form of magic to burn down the home. The outraged villagers believed this culprit, and as a result, decided to kill off the beast.

The beast, weakened because it was unable to consume dreams, could not fight back against the elves that have come to kill it off. They came, and they did their grisly task. As the dream-eater took its dying breath, it whispered one last wish, its final desire. "I wish that I could dream, just this once." With that wish, its corpse dissolved into nothingness, leaving the first of the Dream Flowers behind in its wake. It is thought that the dream-eater's soul lives on in the plant, living away the rest of its existence in an endless dream.

It is also believed that keeping a live Dream Flower at your bedside at night would drive away bad dreams.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2012, 14:11:37 by Ridgen Sú'ufanán » Logged

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
*pops the rest of the cookie into his mouth and gulps down his tea*
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2011, 04:26:51 »

May I simply ask: Why another poisonous plant? shocked
We have plenty. If you're looking to write this for another entry I would recommend looking up the VAST number of poisonous things we have already. Our toxins currently outweigh our curatives by a large margin.

Happy Valanskind Day

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2011, 04:29:47 »

Okay... A curative then :P Will be re-editing after school... :P

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2011, 00:10:18 »

Ridgen, would you please place your plant elsewere? I think you have been told already when writing the icespear, that Cyllahoi is not developed at the moment. There is nobody here who feels really comfortable  to say, what works, what not. Nobody of the established developers has the time or is interested to read up all the Cyllahoi stuff to be able to comment properly,even if it is sparse. 

Focus of all development is still Manthria, but of course Nybelmar or Northern Sarvonia are open also. I think Northern Sarvonia is cold, snowy and big enough to have a place for your plant.

Of course you need to read up the entries about the there living people, the landscape and find a place where it could fit, people who might find it useful.

Thank you!  :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2011, 04:05:25 »

Ok, will do :)

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2011, 15:10:04 »

Done, methinks. All comments welcome :)

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2011, 01:13:51 »

Comments and notes in RED and surrounded by parentheses as per usual.

I'd like to say from the get-go that this seems like a fairly short entry.

Okay, reconstruction... Goodbye poison, hello antidote. Or whatever.  Read on.

Category: Medicinal Herbs > Healing Herbs

Overview: The Sleepflower is a ("plant" is very vague. You mention in the next sentence that it has flowers. Why not say it's a flowering plant? Trees are plants. Is it a shrub? A bush? Is it just a flower?) plant that grows in Northern Sarvonia. Eating the petals of this flower is known to make a person sleep for long periods of time, thus making this plant quite useful in certain circumstances. (This is worded slightly awkwardly. What about, "The petals of this flower can cause heavy drowsiness and can make a person sleep for ..." et cetera)

Appearance: (This is a wall of text. I suggest you split it into two paragraphs) A fully grown Sleepflower plant (the name "Sleepflower" makes me think it's just a flower, so saying "plant" is kind of redundant. From the start of this section, I'm immediately confused as to what it actually is.) is about a palmspan in height, its faint sea-green stem giving it most of its height. The stem itself is quite strong, (no comma necessary) to survive the windier (say 'windy'. Windier makes it sound like you're comparing it to something else, which you're not) conditions of Northern Sarvonia. Growing atop the stem are the plant's petals, coloured an icy blue, which contains a certain juice that brings deep sleep to whoever consumes it. (Leave in the colour bit, put the juice bit into usages, and change the rest to something else. You don't need to say that the petals grow on top of the stem. Now that you've pretty adequately explained that it's a flower, we know where the petals are going to grow from) The arrangement of its petals greatly resembles that of a water L lily's (unless you're talking about my best friend, Lily, then "lily" is a common noun), the petals spreading out in so many (well, that depends on how many petals there are. "so many directions" is really vague) different directions. In stark contrast, the Sleepflower's leaves are quite large in comparison to the rest of the plant, some growing up to be as long as the plant is tall (lovely sentence. Kudos). The plant is firmly rooted to the ground through an intricate network (would 'network' even have been used in Santharia ever? of roots, (no comma) to prevent itself from being uprooted and blown away by the strong winds present in the north.

Territory: The Sleepflower can be found growing almost anywhere in the cold reaches of Northern Sarvonia, often in extremely large numbers. However, due to their odd colouring, the plant can be a bit hard to see. (Where? Around rocks? Trees? On open ground?)

Usages: The Sleepflower is named so because of its effect on those who ingest its petals - it makes them fall into a deep sleep, rendering them completely unaware of whatever is happening around them (that sure sounds like sleep, pardner *shoots tobacco* *like a man*). This can be utilised (did you know that 'used' and 'utilised' mean the exact same thing? Literally, there is no situation where you can use one but not the other. I have an aversion to the word 'utilised') in several ways.

- The effect of the plant can be used for medical reasons (oddly worded sentence here. "The plant can be used in medical situations" would be a lot less... odd). It is often used when an extremely painful operation needs to be executed, so that the patient will not have to endure any amount of pain during the medical procedure.

- Some people who have trouble with sleep may consume a small dose of the plant's petals to allow them to fall asleep easily. People who use the plant in this way must be careful on of how much is used, as too much of the juice can make a person fall into a sleep which they would probably never wake up from. Taking an even larger dose would be able to shut down the person's body instantly, resulting in death.
a) rather than "shutting down instantly" couldn't you say that it slows their heart rate and breathing so rapidly that they descend into death?
b) is it that they eat the petals, or is there an extract of the petals. If it's an extract, that should be described.)

The juice from the plant's petals will last for about five days after extraction. After that time, it will lose its effects and become unusable. (... oh. Right. Shouldn't this be written BEFORE we start hearing about the "juice"?)

Reproduction: Budding Sleepflower plants (again, "plants") bloom in late Awakening Earth (Avénni'modía) and never seem to lose their flower. During Changing Winds (Méh'avashín), the flowers sprout several tiny seeds, which are quickly blown away by the winds. To stop the seeds and themselves from freezing up, each Sleepflower creates a sugary natural antifreeze (so it secretes a natural coating that cannot be penetrated by heat? If it's sugary, it's sticky. This should be in the appearance section), which is present in both the seeds and the plant. (why would it be present IN the seeds?)

I hate to sound harsh, but for the most part, this reads like you've had a concept, written about it, then remembered to add something so you've tacked it on, then tacked on some more about other things. There's no correlation between the beginning and the end. Speak about the extract earlier. Is the sugary coating the extract, like how hash is secreted onto the leaves of a cannabis plant? As I said before, if it's sugary, it's sticky, so if that's the extract, stop calling it a juice. Go through the entry backwards, think about what's at the end but not at the start, and fix any gaps.

Good stuff, even if there are a lot of plants. :)

May I simply ask: Why another poisonous plant? shocked
We have plenty. If you're looking to write this for another entry I would recommend looking up the VAST number of poisonous things we have already. Our toxins currently outweigh our curatives by a large margin.

Happy Valanskind Day
A dangerous world makes for a happy world. Soon, the plants will take over the humans.

:: cruciform kaleidoscope (Dev. Schedule) ::
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2011, 14:10:26 »

Comments integrated.

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2011, 16:31:11 »

*bump*

Could someone please comment on this?

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2011, 17:51:05 »

It seems rather short to me, Ridgen.

It also seems a shame to me that a flower such as this one doesn't have a Myth/Lore/Origin section ... I'm sure that people somewhere in the world of Caelereth would have stories about it or at least something about where they think it came from.

As I think I said to Perab with one of his flowers (I think it was his Twilight Rose) Northern Sarvonia is a large area and not all of it have 'cold reaches'. I think it would be good if you could identify parts of Northern Sarvonia that the flower grows in, by looking at existing entries on Northern Sarvonia in the Compendium and seeing what parts of Northern Sarvonia give the environment/climate you need. What would happen if someone tried to move it to Southern Sarvonia? Has anyone tried to do so? Can the leaves be dried and used in a hot drink or something like that?

'A certain juice' ... does someone have a name for it? Do any of the groups of healers indicated in the compendium use it more than other groups? Do the druids that work with plants (Green Druids, I believe they are have specific interests in it).

What colour are the petals? How many petals are there in the flower? What colour is the sap that covers the plant?

Antifreeze ... is that too modern a term for the Compendium?

What happens to animals if they try to eat the plant? Do they fall unconscious? Are there animals that like to eat it? Do animals stay away from it?

Reproduction ... Insects or bird don't play a part in this? Maybe you could mention that in the entry.

Anyway, an Aura from me for your work so far, Ridgen.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2011, 18:49:20 »

Dek gave you already a lot of advice and helping suggestions, so I have only a few additional ones.

I would restrict it to an certain area, at least the major occurence.
In which climate zone does it flower? Cold reaches, what are you exactly meaning? The areas always covered with snow and ice like the Icelands coast and Iol? (What I would not recommend, for we have there already the hrugchuck grass ), or more the vast lands of the heath of Wilderon? Or  grows it more in forested areas like the Themedlon and would be used by Azhira's Kaeer?

Why does it need this antifreeze, does it flower all year long? (not after reproduction). I would bet, this antifreeze works only when the temperatures are not too low, because it is outside. So why does the plant have it, to prolong the flowering season, to protect an early bloom from late frosts?

Please don't use antifreeze, describe it, it is too modern as Dek already said, its use was avoided in the hruckchuck grass also.

Which tribes do use it? Is there a ceremonial use also?

Usage: Be more precise about the duration of that sleep effect. A human can survive without water only for three days, then he would die from dehydration. So, if somebody has taken too much, his relatives have to give him water somehow. Is this possible, for he may not be able to swallow due to his deep sleep? So he might be drowned instead (that happens!) Or he has nobody, and he dies. Is this a method of terminating one's own life? A honorable one or not?

---> Summary: Restrict your area, bind it to an existant , well developed tribe.

That means, read up the hrugchuck_grass to get a feeling for the north, and then you can link to it, mention another plant which has won over the frost and tell the differences.

Read up the  tribes which might use it, and place it in their area. There are more around than just the Kaeer. That means work! Read up several tribes!

Take your plant to your heart, think at it when going to bed, then you will find more to write about it than now. As Dek said, your submission is a bit short, looks like an entry which needs to be beefed up ;)

--> The initial idea is good, though! Please don't just use my ideas as they are, think farther!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2011, 04:15:21 »

Thanks to you both, Dek, Talia. I'll work on it ASAP! :)

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2011, 10:34:51 »

Well I just read your little plant for the first time. I really enjoyed reading it.   I had a few questions but it appears everyone else already asked what I was going to ask, so no need to say them again.  I agree the entry is rather short so utilize the comments to beef it up a bit. Great work so far.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Ridgen Sú'ufanán
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2012, 14:16:47 »

Question: Will it be okay to put this in Contamar Forest? O.o

And that concludes
*munch*
what I have to say.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2012, 14:24:56 »

Ridgen,

The Forest of Contamar is at the tip of the Peninsula of Iol, which I believe is part of the Antislar region. I suggest that you bell ring or PM Altario to ask him regarding this if he doesn't respond to your question in the next couple of days.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]