Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Longstriding  (Read 2712 times)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« on: 27 March 2011, 13:48:00 »

Not a clue where to put this one. Yet another branch growing out from the old "Hobbit Beliefs" discussion, by way of Mian Lonfellow and Shaba's Eccentricities and Afflictions of the Soul. The format is borrowed from there, but currently living here because I don't think it fits over in the the cosmology forums. And it's easier for me to be able to move it if we decide otherwise.

Name: Longstriding

Categorization: Miscellaneous / Eccentricities & Spiritual Afflictions

Overview
Longstriding is a peculiar condition, named after halfling folk hero Mian Longfellow, known to overtake young hobbits with the curious (and most unhobbit-like) desire to wander far from home, seeking such unnatural things as adventures. It is occasionally accompanied by a desire to see far-off lands and/or the acquisition of a sword of some sort.

Description
It is known that some younger hobbits may be possessed with the sudden idea to go off and have "adventures", much to the dismay of their family and often the family of their friends, neighbours or the relations of any other halflings unfortunate enough to be drawn into this desire. It seems that one hobbit possessed of such an idea can quite easily spread it to a few close friends or relations, seemingly by accident. The cause of this hobbit habit, called Longstriding by some (in reference to the famous halfling Mian Longstrider), is not known. Some claim that the inclusion of fey or elvish blood somewhere along the family tree is to blame. Others will quickly point to too much of the wrong sort of stories, and note that good hobbit stories are the best stories for young'uns. The last party blames the influence of the Big Folk, especially wizards, elves, the Black Butterfly Rovers and any other unfortunate travelling sorts that may be in proximity.

Regardless of cause, Longstriding manifests as the idea that there are more interesting things to do out in the "wide world" than in a shire, and that wholesome occupations like farming tatters or mending watches are naught but boring chores.Those afflicted with Longstriding desires may dig swords out of old trunks, spend long hours poring over maps and dusty books of tales, begin to write journals or any other number of travelling related pastimes. This eventually culminates in the young hobbit leaving the Shire with it in mind to go find an "adventure".

For most, this period will last no more than a week as the young hobbit soon realizes that living out in the wild or on the roads without a proper bed and less than four solid meals a day (to say nothing of a shortage of pipeweed or good home-cooked food) is not a particularly desirable state and they soon find their way home.

Others will stay away for weeks, months and even years at a stretch. The eventual return of these individuals is looked upon with suspicion. In one case, a hobbit returned from a particularly long spell of Longstriding only to find that his relatives had declared him dead and begun to move into his house!

Prevalence
Longstriding is a phenomenon only known among hobbits, and young ones at that. Between the ages of about 28 and 32 is the typical age for hobbits to begin to exhibit the desire to go a-Longstriding and it is at this point that most will return. Those who exhibit Longstriding after they come of age are most often the sort to stay away longer. It is a curious fact that hobbit lasses are less prone to succumb to Longstriding than lads, though it is not unheard of.

Explanations
There are no official explanations for why one hobbit may go Longstriding while others are perfectly content. Some note that it is typical among certain families and suggest that there is something inherently "queer" or "odd" about them. The suggestion that one of the family had a touch of fey blood in the past is not an uncommon one.

Treatments / Cures / Consequences
Suggestions of a halfling simply needing to find a girl and settle down are not uncommon when the first signs of Longstriding appear. Likewise, the suggestion that they simply need to work out whatever strange urge it is to see things is often met with the comment that a few days of "cold and wet and bad food will set them right".

There is some suspicion that home-grown food may be a sanative when dealing with Longstriding. Some suggest that a diet consisting exclusively of shire-grown and bred food may well be able to cure a bout of Longstriding, though there is no proof of this.

Myth / Lore
The most famous case of Longstriding is doubtless the halfling that gave it the name. Mian Longfellow (known by various other names), though such characters as Boe Starlinggale and even the noted researcher Lumbe Bloggson have been marked as acute cases of Longstriding.

Researchers
Noted eccentric, researcher and compendiumist Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang is credited with the collection of information about Longstriding as is the hobbit researcher Lumbe Bloggson.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2011, 01:47:55 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2011, 18:59:15 »

of course ... you know that Orly is going to have to be redone now, don't you Valan?

My growls angrily at the thinking engine and goes to sharpen some sharp pokey things and stoke the fire.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2011, 20:06:23 »

Love it so far! Great tribute to Mr Tolkien too!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2011, 21:07:48 »

oh ... by the way, I almost forgot ... I love what you're doing here, Valan :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2011, 00:25:00 »

Strange ideas strike me in the middle of the night while I'm waiting to hear from people.
Some of these are good. :D

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2011, 17:45:45 »

Valan, that is lovely! I love it, and the way you have written it made me smile. I don't have any critique, just a proposal. You could add food. The suspicion, that food, especially not grown in the shire itself, strange fruits or so might cause it. A cure could be to let those showing such signs go through a 'cure', which would be  a special diet of all the best things available to eat in great quantities.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2011, 08:41:03 »

Does this condition only afflict young male hobbits?  You suggest that 'they only need to find a girl and settle down'... 

I would certainly like to see the aspect of gender addressed in this, either by changing that to 'find a spouse' and leaving it open, or by specifically adding more detail ('hobbit lasses are not as strongly taken by this itch to travel, but it is not unknown' or some such idea...)  :D

"Folk ailments" are a great detail to add to our compendium, and more should be documented under our various cultures - evil eye, vanishing manhood, beserk / amok, stuck stomach, caught rib, and more....  But anyhow, a wonderful tribute to Tolkien and well-written!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Seeker

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2011, 07:15:04 »

Not a clue where to put this one

For me it is certainly a disease, albeit a rather interesting one with no apparent effects on actual physical health (maybe mental health).  But that is where I think it fits best.  I love the idea here and one that could spring future myths, stories and the like.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2011, 20:14:56 »

I'm using Shaba's eccentricities here. It's doesn't feel like a disease, you know?

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2011, 01:02:01 »

Edits made.

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2011, 20:22:37 »

Hi Valan,

This is a really enjoyable little entry, and just the sort of thing I had in mind when I proposed the category “Eccentricities and Spiritual Afflictions”. I like how you manage to write from the perspective of Good Hobbit Sense and simultaneously poke fun at this very perspective.

I would argue that it’s time to create the category “Eccentricities and Spiritual Afflictions” in the compendium as a sub-topic of ‘Miscellaneous’. Maybe this would encourage/inspire people to write similarly enjoyable entries!

I have few comments, but here they are:

Name: Longstriding

Categorization: Miscellaneous / Eccentricities & Spiritual Afflictions

Overview
Longstriding is a peculiar condition known to overtake young hobbits with the curious (and most unhobbit-like) desire to wander far from home, seeking such unnatural things as adventures. It is occasionally accompanied by a desire to see far-off lands and/or the acquisition of a sword of some sort. (I suggest to mention here that the affliction is named after Main Longfellow.)

Description
It is known that some younger hobbits may be possessed with the sudden idea to go off and have "adventures", much to the dismay of their family and often the family of their friends, neighbours or the relations of any other halflings unfortunate enough to be drawn into this desire. It seems that one hobbit possessed of such an idea can quite easily spread it to a few close friends or relations, seemingly by accident. The cause of this hobbit habit, called Longstriding by some (in reference to the famous halfling Mian Longstrider), is not known. Some claim that the inclusion of fey or elvish blood somewhere along the family tree is to blame. Others will quickly point to too much of the wrong sort of stories, and note that good hobbit stories are the best stories for young'uns. The last party blames the influence of the Big Folk, especially wizards, elves, the Black Butterfly Rovers and any other unfortunate travelling sorts that may be in proximity.

Regardless of cause, the idea manifests itself that there are more interesting things to do out in the "wide world" than in a shire doing something wholesome, like farming tatters or mending watches. (Formulation suggestion: “Regardless of cause, Longstriding manifests as the idea that there are more interesting things to do out in the "wide world" than in a hobbit shire, and that wholesome occupations like farming tatters or mending watches are naught but boring chores.”) Those afflicted with Longstriding desires may dig swords out of old trunks, spend long hours poring over maps and dusty books of tales, begin to write journals or any other number of travelling related pastimes. This eventually culminates in the young hobbit leaving the Shire with it in mind to go find an "adventure".

For most, this period will last no more than a week as the young hobbit soon realizes that living out in the wild or on the roads without a proper bed and less than four solid meals a day (to say nothing of a shortage of pipeweed or good home-cooked food) is not a particularly desirable state and they soon find their way home.

Others will stay away for weeks, months and even years at a stretch. The eventual return of these individuals is looked upon with suspicion. In one case, a hobbit returned from a particularly long spell of Longstriding only to find that his relatives had declared him dead and begun to move into his house! (Did they indeed! How sensible of them!)

Prevalence
Longstriding is a phenomenon only known among hobbits, and young ones at that. Between the ages of about 28 and 32 is the typical age for hobbits to begin to exhibit the desire to go a-Longstriding and it is at this point that most will return (I’d leave out the last part, for it confuddles the sentence, and anyway you’ve already talked about the short duration of most Longstriding bouts). Those who exhibit Longstriding after they come of age are most often the sort to stay away longer. It is a curious fact that hobbit lasses are less prone to succumb to Longstriding than lads, though female Longstriders are not unheard of.

Explanations
There are no official explanations for why one hobbit may go Longstriding while others are perfectly content. Some note that it is typical among certain families and suggest that there is something inherently "queer" or "odd" about them. The suggestion that one of the family had a touch of fey blood in the past is not an uncommon one.

Treatments / Cures / Consequences
Suggestions of a halfling simply needing to find a girl and settle down (sings: “if you want, you can marryyy! Look at meeee, I am oooold, but I’m happyyyy …” – you know Cat Stevens, I suppose?) are not uncommon when the first signs of Longstriding appear. Likewise, the suggestion that Longstriders simply need to work out whatever strange urge it is to see things (I don’t understand this. Do you mean: “simply need to be left to follow their strange urge to see the world and let it exhaust itself”?) is often met with the comment that a few days of "cold and wet and bad food will set them right".

There is some suspicion that home-grown food may be a sanative when dealing with Longstriding. Some suggest that a diet consisting exclusively of shire-grown and bred food may well be able to cure a bout of Longstriding, though there is no proof of this.

Myth / Lore
The most famous case of Longstriding is doubtless the halfling that gave it the name. Mian Longfellow (known by various other names), though such characters as Boe Starlingale and even the noted researcher Lumbe Bloggson have been marked as acute cases of Longstriding. (The second sentence is not a sentence (no predicate), so I suggest: “The most famous case of Longstriding is doubtless the halfling Mian Longfellow, who gave the condition its name. Other famous sufferers are commander Boe Starlinggale note: two ‘g’ in Starlinggale!) and the noted researcher Lumbe Bloggson.”

Researchers
Noted eccentric, researcher and compendiumist Shabakuk Zeborious Anfang is credited with the collection of information about Longstriding as is the hobbit researcher Lumbe Bloggson. (I’m honored to be mentioned. But it’s Zeborius. No O before the U. :) )

Aura!

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2011, 22:31:33 »

Final edits already done on this one, Valan?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2011, 23:39:09 »

I believe so Art

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2011, 00:21:10 »

*cough, cough*

Researchers
Noted eccentric, researcher and compendiumist Shabakuk Zeborious Anfang is credited with the collection of information about Longstriding as is the hobbit researcher Lumbe Bloggson.

"Zeborius", if you please.

Other than that: another great entry!

Art, will we have a new category "Eccentricities and Spiritual Afflictions", then?

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2011, 01:45:31 »

I think a new category just for this one very special condition would be a bit too much. I'd say it's more a cultural thing (it's definitely hobbit-related), which we can put under Culture & Customs for now and also stash it under "Halflings" in the Races/Tribes menu.

BTW: Really nice entry, Valan! Additional aura +1!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.