Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Murlar, R'unorian God  (Read 6165 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 21 June 2011, 15:57:47 »

Valan, I only read out of your comment, that you don't want to continue here, put more work into it. Frankly, I don't understand your argumentation at all. I don't see, that my comments hinder you to make an aggressive, interesting god (what you have is not so different from the Twelve).

What this entry is intending to do is define R'unorian religion through its gods. You seem to have a problem with that and it might be because you're used to working with the passive (and honestly boring) Twelve. It seems like the cosmology forum is stuck with the idea that because a god happens to have "sea" or "fire" as their sphere that they have to live, eat, sleep and breathe that element, to the exclusion of all else. R'unorian gods are not elementals.

You are repeating yourself and bringing forward accusations without any grounding. Apart from that - as cosm mod I dealt with nearly every god on the site (apart from the twelve, these are mostly not my doing nor did I comment on these). Show me what you have in mind instead of just hinting at it  in an angry comment.

The other problem I have. You're using the word wrong. Which I take just a bit of offence to. I would not say I've done something wrong, rather I've done it in a way which you would not have. To be completely precise, I have a different interpretation. At this point, short of outright contradicting what is on site or the general development rules (which I have not done neither of) it is not possible to do something that is out and out wrong in R'unor. R'unor is being defined. This is one of the entries doing so. A decidedly poor choice of words.

I'm not understanding what you mean with your fist sentences - wrong word? Why are you offended?
There is one rule I pointed you to and which is discussed (and to which you have to stick as anybody, even if you did not make that general rule, I did make it neither): That the work on the site is respected, even if it hinders your ideas, or is outright silly. M'rotha is the goddess of death, and not Murlar. Of course you can bend that, but there should be good, convincing reasons to do so, and so far I saw only a 'But I want to do it this way'

All other things you write about R'unor being defined is no argument against anything I said above.

You've left me with very little desire to work on this entry Talia. I say this because the feeling I get from your comments is that you don't like people doing things a way that you yourself would not. And this is in spite of asking people to see things your way. You have dogged this entry since it began, and I'm not willing to put up with another page of bickering with anyone over this.

My impression is, Valan, that you don't want to invest more effort or time into this half done submission. You are not angry with me, because I don't see it your way, but because I told you, that what you have is not enough, in contrary to others who just come and tell you, how great your work is. I am as a mod cannot do that, I have to strive for quality, consistency, and more.

It is not the content about what you are arguing, but the effort put in it. I'm open to many things, work on how you want to have it in a way, which is generally more convincing that it is now. Looking at the whole entry, I do not see, where I wanted you do write something different, I want to have it elaborated better.

I get from your comments is that you don't like people doing things a way that you yourself would not

That is not true - I give my opinion - and a view of my ideas as proposals, to make any entry better, if needed, or possible. I'm not proposing things to get my views across, but I try to help the Dream get more divers. I have to ask you - have you problems with accepting other proposals except from grammatical ones?

You have dogged this entry since it began, and I'm not willing to put up with another page of bickering with anyone over this.

dodged? I encouraged you to go on, though others said, that it would be better to have a more general idea (and write it down) of the whole religion first.

Bickering? Thank you for your praise. That's a first time, something calls my comments bickering.

Since you are a moderator here, I see that I'm left with two choices. Either I have to make another uninteresting divinity, or I must put this entry in abeyance. Since the former is not a road I am willing to take, I'm putting this entry and the other R'unorian gods on indefinite hold while I work elsewhere. That is to say, not abandoning.

LOL, that's outright nonsense, Valan. It is the author who makes an submission interesting or boring, not the commentator. Where did I restrict you? In just one case, insisting, that the focus of the death god stays on M'rotha, and not Murlar. Everywhere else I encouraged you to make better what you have, I asked 'Why is this so?', yes, but maybe you don't have the answers to it yet, and so it might be a good idea to wait a bit with widening this.

I hope , the time I spent here was not wasted. You see, I have other things to do also.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2011, 16:13:14 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 June 2011, 02:28:13 »

My impression is, Valan, that you don't want to invest more effort or time into this half done submission. You are not angry with me, because I don't see it your way, but because I told you, that what you have is not enough, in contrary to others who just come and tell you, how great your work is. I am as a mod cannot do that, I have to strive for quality, consistency, and more.

It is not the content about what you are arguing, but the effort put in it. I'm open to many things, work on how you want to have it in a way, which is generally more convincing that it is now. Looking at the whole entry, I do not see, where I wanted you do write something different, I want to have it elaborated better.

I would have to agree with this.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 June 2011, 07:32:25 »

Talia, I think you may have misunderstood part of Valan's comments. He didn't say you used the wrong word he actually said you used the word wrong ... and I think that wrong should have been in inverted commas or what I believe you call crows feet. What I think Valan is saying that you are suggesting that his approach/interpretation to this is 'wrong' when he feels you should be saying it is 'different'. His interpretation of the God is different to yours, that's all ... his interpretation could it be explained better ... look at my next paragraph.

Valan, I also feel that this entry is rather plain at the moment ... rather bare ... in much the same way that you feel sometimes people's CDs are rather bare, or their entries in the miscellaneous forum can sometimes be not detailed enough. Talia's asked you to provide more details, from what I can see. If a Goddess in this pantheon is the R'unorian Goddess of death ... maybe, as I think Talia suggests, Murlar is the God of a particular kind of death ... eg suicides or similar, while the Goddess is responsible for all other deaths ... maybe that could even be the basis of a myth or something. I had further ideas on this, which I'll explain later when I do have more time.

Talia, one thing that I am confused by is the difference between myth and lore. Maybe you could explain that to me ... this last one doesn't rely carry on from the other two paragraphs in this post, rather it is a different post altogether ... but I am up against time here, and don't have the time to put it into another post at now ... I'll expand on this a bit later.

Bye all ... off to work for now :D

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2011, 15:39:41 »

I'd just like to stick my nose in for a second regarding this, first of all to agree with Dek's two main points - which I made a post about, but then lost - and second to say that there seems to be a certain lack of realism in the way you are looking at Gods of death. As I recall, there were four gods involved with death, plus a few minor gods and a demon, in Egyptian beliefs; just as R'unor has two Goddesses of Love, why not two of death. The entry suggests that M'rotha is a sort of reaper figure, involved with the dying bit of death; why not then have Murlar as a sort of Anubis figure, whose clergy carry out the rites of the funeral or the preparation of the body, on account of the mysteries that they now go into? Funerals are more of a living people thing than a thing for souls, so M'rotha's status as it appears to be is not really affected by this.

Just trying to get a nice balance here.

Ath

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Today at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.