Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Santharian History: 100 to 200 a.S.  (Read 5681 times)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2011, 05:13:48 »

That's fairly accurate regarding the Britih Empire, Dek. Although it was an Empire, the ruler was never known as the British Emperor; rather as king of Britain and her colonies; however, when India fell fully under British rule, what had been the Mughal Empire was now the Indian Empire - the Empire in India, and Vic. was Empress of India in addition to her other titles. On the other hand, there were Roman Emperors etc. and really it all comes down to self branding. The Holy Roman Empire was so named to give it an aura of legitimacy.

I could imagine that in the early days of Tharania (sp?) it could have been known as the Epheronian Empire as well/instead until full assimilation...and likewise upon the conquest of further territories, as the Tharanian Empire - being a Kingdom which rules other lands, one definition.

Ath's Two Sans Rattle Into The Bucket

EDIT: So, yeah, autorebranding is a definite possibility - AND gives historians something to go on about monarchs who use that.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2011, 15:58:40 »

Good job as far as I have come!  thumbup

As always, I have some critics though ;)

15 b.S. Death of the second King's Son Marzevash II.
The Tharanian King's firstborn, Marzevash, dies in a hunting accident.

Maybe it was just my lack of sleep, but that heading sounds a bit weird, had problems with the 'King's Son' why not

Death of King Marzevash‘s second son

12 b.S. The Tharian King Marzevash Abdicates and Flees
Marzevash, in the eyes of many people directly linked to the assassinantion of ambassador Aelric, is eventually forced to abdicate in order to satisfy the growing unrest in the populace. He flees to the island of Narvoss, taking with him his bastard son Syveric, and instates his son Raegash as the new King of Tharania.

Syveric is born legally, becausee the king was already wed to his mother, so he should not be a bastard son, even if he was received before the marriage.

12 b.S.
to 10 b.S. The "Unwilling" Tharanian King: Marzevash's Son Raegash
While his father Marzevash fled to escape the resentments towards him, Raegash's popularity is not overwhelming either. Having been a member of the Order of Armeros along with the son of the murdered ambassador Aelric, Santhros, Raegash sees unjustice in being king. After a few months he decides to renounce the throne and suggests his friend Santhros to the council of elders. Long discussions ensue, so that it lasts over a year until a decision is made. Reagash himself however decides to enter the monastery and refrain from politics.

Marzevash's reaction from his self-declared exile arrives promptly: He denounces Raegash as true heir to the Tharanian throne and declares Syveric his rightful successor. But his hands are bound, as he has no support anymore in the capital of the realm, Voldar.

The coloured sentence sounds a bit wrong. It looks to me, as if Raegash sees the injustice because Santhros was his friends in the Order of Armerous. Generally, he might have the feeling, that the assasination (initiated by his father) was wrong and did unjustice to the family of Salazath, but not that him being king is unjust. Not in the direct sense.

Then, I think itwas important for the council of elders, that Santhros has accompanied his father and   is known to the other races as well also. For though he has the support of Raegash, he is not more than any other young noble of his age. There are surely others around we have not named.

Raegash may have well had a feeling of unjustice regarding the situation, but I think it was his unwillingness to rule a people who did not overly like him and the fact that he would prefer to be in a monastery which led to the decision to abdicate. Then, to attenuate the unjustice of the murder, he proposes his friend Santhros as King to the elders.

--->  The support of Raegash and the facts, that Santhros is the son of his respected father and had him accompanied already on his mission, and was therefore known to the other races may have given him the acceptance of the council elders.

Ah, just saw, that you have it under coronation.  

May I propose to change your paragraph to:

While his father Marzevash fled to escape the resentments towards him, Raegash's popularity is not overwhelming either. After a few months he decides to renounce the throne and following his urge (or longtime wish?) for seclusion (? Abgeschiedenheit) he  retreats to a monastery and refrain from politics. As his follower he suggests his friend and comrade at the Order of Armeros Santhros of the House of Salazath to the council of elders. Long discussions ensue, so that it lasts over a year until a decision is made, but finally Santhros is accepted.

So far, more later! :)

Hope it helped!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 June 2011, 18:34:20 »

What do you mean about the bastard son, Ta'lia? If he was born before the marriage, he's a bastard even if they later married; that's the only interpretation I can make of your sentence. Please say if I misunderstood.

Ath

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 16 June 2011, 18:37:14 »

Wasn't he born after the marriage? Need to look what is there..

Here:

46 b.S.    Prince Marzevash marries Valferia, Birth of Syveric
Prince Marzevach marries one of his previous mistresses, Valferia. A few months later already a fourth son is born, Syveric.

« Last Edit: 16 June 2011, 18:44:11 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 June 2011, 22:08:34 »

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Was he conceived before the marriage?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2011, 01:04:35 »

Obviously! :)

Next bit:

0    Santhros crowned as King of the United Kingdom of Santharia
It is a historical fact that the coronation of Santhros to the Santharian throne is the direct continuation to the strictly confidental Sarvonian Alliance between the leaders of all three main races of the southern Sarvonian continent, humans, elves and dwarves. This alliance already exists for several years in order to hinder the endeavour of the dark elven lord, the Móch'rónn, Saban Blackcloak, who descended the Hèckranian volcano in order to topple the Earthen Titan from his throne in the depths of the dungeon Hegedorn.

Isn't that alliance the alliance of the Linked Hands, or was that a continuation Santhros strengthend which developed out of the old alliance? For if that is already the alliance of the Linked hands, then the halflings should be included. (four hands!)

Art, please forgive me for critisiing your wording, you are much better with that than me, but that paragraph above could be a bit clearer. I don't know, if it is clear for everybody what you really want to say, namely, that the allianz, and in its following the coronation, led to the forming of Santharia, a Santharia which replaced the Tharanian Kingdom in the end. Especially the first sentence with the hard 'it is a historical fact' I had to read twice. If it would not be a historical fact, it would not stand here.

I'll try to reword it a bit, if you allow, later, now is dinner time.

With the creation of the Santharian kingdom an essential counterpart is formed in southern Sarvonia to the barbarians and the orcish cultures developing in the Northlands. But not only this: The new kingdom also brings peace to the many disputes among the races which still reign the lands. Therefore it is indeed justified that all historical incidents taking place after Santhros' ascension to the throne are measured after the new Santharian Calendar.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2011, 01:26:22 »

You said "received" at first; I wasn't sure what you meant.

Ath

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2011, 02:29:25 »

Hehe, yep. That confused me a bit too :)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 17 June 2011, 03:05:35 »

Ah, yes, sorry! Was too fast thinking ;) It is the same word in German.

5    Thaehavos declared Free Town and renamed to "Bardavos"
Bardavos, the former Thaehavos, with the ascension of Santhros the Wise to the Santharian throne is officially declared a "Free Town of Bards" and thus renamed to Bardavos.

That is listed twice, under the year 0 and 5
« Last Edit: 17 June 2011, 03:10:56 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 17 June 2011, 03:37:06 »

Ok, fixed the various mentioned things (no Emperors in Santharia, death of the sister, changes in the mentioned sentences, Bardavos listed only once etc.) So make sure to refresh the page now to see the updated version.

The Council of Linked hands BTW isn't really properly mentioned (referred to only as "Council of Elders" so far). I guess I'll change that throughout as well and add a few things here and there in this regard to explain its development.

BTW: You're all looking mainly at old stuff, which is already on the site for a while (I added 100-200). Nevertheless, as far as there's something to correct, that's fine :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 17 June 2011, 03:44:05 »

Yeah, I realised that also, but I think I never read it as thoroughly as now and it is fun. May I polish some things? This is not so brainsteaming as RM and I can do that when my power for religious things are gone for the day.

I looked at our old thread also, and slowly some memory comes back about what we intended to have (and how fascinating it was to invent it!). My time will be restricted next week, but when school begins I might try my hand at a part also. :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 17 June 2011, 03:51:13 »

Yep, of course! Feel free to add things here and there when you read through it, or make something clearer etc. - I'll see to update the table then :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 17 June 2011, 04:04:44 »

I read through all the new stuff now also and you did it well! Especially the Sirthala part :)

I've got a few ideas  which I will add later.

There is one question though which I did not research yet, but perhaps you know it by heart.

Was not Santhros crowned king of Tharania first and under his reign the outer provinces joined? Or was that an event which happened quite quickly due to the threat of Saban. When was Santharia finally founded and replaced Tharania? There are no dates when the Stratanians joined, or did I miss that?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 21 June 2011, 04:18:32 »

As the history table shows: crowning to Tharanian king in 10 b.S., then crowning to Santharian king at 0. All southern kingdoms join. Stratania is even mentioned briefly here:

0 - Stratania becomes part of the United Kingdom of Santharia
The Santharian King Santhros grants the city of Strata more funds to regain power. Restoration and buildings continue but at slow speed due to the large demolishing activities that have to be performed first. Many of the old buildings are unrepairably damaged by the teeth of time and are pulled down.

However, how and why each southern kingdom joins could be elaborated better, this isn't all very well established in the Santharian history table as of yet, though it's clear from various entries that they all join in 0, supporting Santhros as a result of the Alliance formed before to oppose the looming threat of the Móh'rónn.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2011, 04:29:52 »

I'm right now adding some stuff :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.