Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Masterwork: Mapping and Overview of Cyhalloi  (Read 11522 times)
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2012, 12:02:45 »

Alrighty :D    So the way I originally was writing this was fine. Haha. Okay, well I've finished writing the paragraphs for the three mainland islands, and am working on the isles. Any suggestions for names for places such as forests or the canyon, or anything with a blank like "_______", would be most helpful. The Sabuin have their own language, or at least I would like them to. No idea what Tuttinbu would mean, I just thought it sounded spiffy, but I want Sabuin to roughly mean the People of Bu. :D
« Last Edit: 05 April 2012, 13:55:56 by Val O就eil » Logged

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 April 2012, 07:36:10 »

As well as being educational, this was fun to read for me - which is due to your fluent style and your imaginative use of language. I love the names you came up with: Tuttinbu, Folasch, Sabuin ... they can stand proudly next to the nomenclature of 'Gulliver's Travels' (Brogdingnag, Struldbrug, ...) - and that's a compliment in my book! Aura from me!

I'd be happy to do a uri-check (noticed a few minor things along the way), but would prefer to wait until you've got all your gaps filled in and all issues discussed, otherwise I might end up doing work on passages that are going to be rewritten anyways.

Meanwhile, a few questions:

While the Sabuin, a nomadic whaling tribe, may not appear to be human at first glance, they are.
Why do they not appear human at first glance? I respect the need for succinctness, but in this case I think we should be told what makes the Sabuin special (in appearance).

The island is the equivalent of a snowy desert, resources scarce for the orcs that live there, whose pillage and plunder attitude evens out their lack-there-of.
It sounds as though the orcs are the only humanoid inhabitants of Dorolak? In that case, whom do they pillage and plunder? Do they travel to other islands by boat? (Orc vikings?)

As one approaches the two southern mainlands, the beaches seem surprisingly snowless for such a frigid climate and the nearly-constant snow trickling down from the skies. However, such is not the case. Black sands cover the expansive beaches here, muddying up the crisp whiteness of even virgin snow where ice has not taken hold.
Where does the black sand come from? I've seen that sort of phenomenon in Iceland, where vulcanic ash and black desert sand gets blown over glaciers and puts a black coat on them. But you've decided against putting vulcanoes on Cyhalloi, as far as I understood?

Void Isles
The wintry climate only becomes more bitter-cold and neigh unbearable as one ventures further north and, ultimately, closer to the Void.
...nigh ... :)

Overall: very well done indeed. It's high time you became a member.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2012, 04:10:22 »

I see you haven't forgotten about this one, Val, as you seem to have updated the entry yesterday and are working your way through... Just wanted to make sure that we don't forget about this one. :) Shabakuk also made some comments, so maybe you can take care of those, and I'll see to make some suggestions on the names and distances you're still lacking soon, so that we get this covered as well, eh? ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2012, 02:50:41 »

Ok, some name suggestions, Val - feel free to use the words in another context as well in case it seems appropriate :)

- Void isle tribe suggestions: Ymanjam, Zhingan, Zhaeror, Xarmadam
- Tuttinbu Isle, prominent village suggestion: Schakadorsch, Schakadasch, Burfasch, Schabourn, Caschavmran
- Offshoot of the Kasumarii suggestions: the Ynschurii, Quasurii, Inskamrii.
- Sabuin river (I assume you're referring to one there) suggestions: Tofrasch , Brofasch, Rofbasch, Tombrasch

To facilitate the sizes thing: Could you maybe take a Cyhalloian map and put the various names of the island on it and maybe the one or the other key geographical location name, just so we have it all graphically available - this should make it much easier to read the entry with a rough map next to it. Plus I can than easier measure the various distances and sizes.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2012, 07:42:59 »

I enjoyed all of those suggestions, and though a few of them jumped out at me, I still feel they don't quite have the sounds I'm looking for when spoken. For the Sabuin, I'm looking more for soft shushing sounds with a bit of (clicky)abruptness thrown in, and a distinct lacking of "r"s- if any of that makes sense at all. Though none of these names fit quite right, in my mind, they do provide me with a base with which to start off of. So, thank you very much for that. ^_^

Anyway. The map may take a hot minute for me to give you, as my personal computer is no longer set up at the moment. But I will set it up and get that to you as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2012, 14:03:54 by Val O就eil » Logged

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2012, 06:37:30 »

Okie dokie then, I have a rough draft map for you to work off of.

The green area is the Tundra.

EDIT:: I would also like to move the line for Schu'Buda down a bit further so it takes up a little over half of the island. And, also, the Dieing Ice Ridge a little closer to the coast.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2012, 15:38:34 by Val O就eil » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

M鏚d幨墈y

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2012, 06:47:30 »

Ok wow. When did we start developing Cyhalloi?  shocked

Not that I mind, just asking.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2012, 06:59:26 »

A whiiiile ago, it as been a very slow process for me. Landscape has proved difficult, as I am not very good with sizing up what will fit where.
I will be rewriting the Kasumarii as well- I think? I have a lot of ideas for them that makes the entire tribe much more... sound.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

M鏚d幨墈y

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2012, 23:51:08 »

Yes please fix the Kasumarii! Make them not be snowy ninjas, please... ;)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2012, 03:28:39 »

@Azhira: Yeah, this is Val's masterwork, well deserved! Obviously it takes a while to get it done, but it's very comprehensive already and will give a good indication who lives where on this part of the world.

@Val: Excellent! Thanks for the map! This really helps to identify what lies where, a very important map to go with the entry :D Aura +1 for getting this one done and making a good deal of further progress with the entry so far as well!

But I see you're still working on the entry filling out more details, so just continue on, we've got time! But it's coming along nicely, and that's great to see!

Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2012, 10:23:48 »

Snowy ninja-assassin-pirates that eat orcs for dinner... and every other meal, apparently. O.o

EDIT: I am removing the Sabuin people. Rayne suggested, and I agree, that the islands are getting a bit crowded for it to be a supposedly remote place. Such a shame to lose such nifty names I came up with. Oh well! Maybe I can recycle the tribe and names somewhere else at some point in time.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2012, 11:58:40 by Val O就eil » Logged

Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2012, 14:06:58 »

And just as quickly as I removed the Sabuin from the entry, I have revamped the map. Here you go   :)

Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 October 2012, 16:00:06 »

Not much has changed in the entry, though I assure you I've been poking and prodding at this since I last was actually active onsite. However, I feel I have gotten to a point where the entry can welcome comments, not because I feel it is fully finished- but because I can't seem to get any further with it after such a long time. Sooo... pretty please? Comments would be super appreciated, as well as(especially) suggestions for the Orc's mythology- orcs are so beyond me. When I look up at them, all I can see is a jutting chin, big teeth, and angry eyebrows. buck

Thank you and Bobspeed
heart ~ Val ~ heart

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 21 October 2012, 03:48:07 »

I'll give it a look on Monday, Val, tomorrow I'm busy.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 October 2012, 00:12:25 »

I see some placeholders.  Do you need help filling them in, or do you have the information already? 

Qu'prur
Is it too late to suggest changing the name?  I don't know what changes you are making to Kasumarii history, but going by what's currently on the site, it might be more realistic if it were less obvious. 

Dieing Ice Ridge
It should be "Dying", I think. 

Sal幯'Phr
The first accent should probably be on the "a" instead of the "e" if you are going with Styr嫳h as it is described on the site. 

Also, I'm not very good with climate stuff, but according to Wikipedia, "tundra is a biome where the tree growth is hindered by low temperatures and short growing seasons".  Won't such conditions be even worse to the north of the tundra, making it even harder for the trees to grow there?  Perhaps the forest and tundra areas should be switched?

The small island of Waning, or Winking Moon Port, is directly to the east of Guldor and is a craggy little island that serves as a port city which spans about half of its entirety.
I think you might have underestimated its size.  From the distance from its easternmost point to its westernmost point seems to be roughly the distance between Klinsor and Lorehaven, which is roughly 400km or around 250 miles depending on which measurement system you prefer.  It does look like the sort of place that could have a port city, just probably not one that covers half the island. 

I see three names for orc tribes: Emesz, Chuut, and Inuk.  A mistake?  Anyway, as far as orcs are concerned, one of their former developers, Marvin, told me that while orcs are generally more primitive than humans, they are just as intelligent.  While you did offer a possible explanation for this tribe being relatively unintelligent, that they are inbred, it also sounds like the sort of thing a prejudiced outsider might say about them.  Actually, the whole section on the orcs sounds like that.  Which is fine given that entries are supposed to be in-character works and most of the information a Compendium researcher would get probably comes from the Kasumarii, who have good reason to give an unflattering account of the orcs, but it's something to keep in mind.  As for their mythology, and mythology in general, maybe this could provide some ideas. 

There is nowhere else in the world that the moon is larger, brighter, nor more revered and hated than it is here, upon these isles. Because of this, it is believed that the mythical Ulvur stalk the forests of the northernmost mainland
It's not clear to me how these two things are linked.  Maybe you could explain it a little more? 

What's a Shade Cleric? 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.