Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Red King Inn, A Drinking Establishment of Gilden Duchy, Xaramon Province  (Read 1816 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 08 August 2011, 18:29:16 »

Categorisation
Places > Sarvonia South > Xaramon Province > The Red King Inn

Races & Tribes > Human Tribes > Sarvonia South > Kyranian Men > The Red King Inn

The Red King Inn
Overview

Beloved by many and remembered favourably by most who have visited the establishment, the Red King Inn has a long, storied and colourful history. Located in Southern Sarvonia, within the walls of the city of Naios, in the Santharian province of Xaramon, this watering hole is famous for its colourful regulars, staff and owners, as well as the tales told to visitors about the storied history of the past of it, the city of Naios and the long fallen Kyranian Kingdom. Indeed, if one stays long enough, it is possible to hear stories that Kyrania will one day return again from some of the regulars who have spent a bit too much time in their beer mugs.

The Red King Inn is located inside the walls of Naios in the northern part of the city, on the apex of one of the hills of the city. From the balcony on the upper floor of the establishment, patrons can see for strals out over the Wind Bay to the south and north into the lands of the Santharian Xaramon Province in Southern Sarvonia. Most in the city know of this inn, and newcomers are almost always sent in its direction if they ask for it by name or for a drinking establishment within the walls of Naios city.

Function
This establishment is used as a drinking, eating and meeting place by the citizens of the city of Naios and nearby farms as well as any travellers, merchants, adventurers, bards or compendiumists who may be passing through the duchy of Geldin in Xaramon Province. The Red King Inn also has a range of rooms available for those needing to spend a night or two in Naios. The beds are guaranteed by the owners and staff of the inn to be free of dream louses and other similar undesirable sleeping companions.

The Red King Inn is currently owned by Calitter 'Cali' Kanemir, supposed to be the many times great grandson of the man who laid the foundations for this building. Cali is a friendly man, Kyranian by ancestry and is very proud of his roots. He is proud of his beard and keeps it neatly trimmed and his hair is touched with silver. His wife, Dawatte Holetta, is the chief cook of The Red King Inn and she runs the kitchens with what could be described as military precision. Prior to marriage, it is said that she held a post as a cook in the Caelum Guard and so that is probably a very good description of the way she operates. In any case, the food that is served by the Red King Inn is popular and adds in no small way to the popularity of the establishment. It is also said that this food adds in no small way to the portliness of her husband.

Braritt Calitter is the sixteen year old gangly son of Cali and Dawatte and is expected to one day take over ownership of the inn when his parents finish working in the Red King Inn. So far, he has shown limited interest in running the Red King Inn and seems to be far more interested in becoming a soldier in the service of the duchy of Geldin. Braritt has a younger brother, Talisk Calitter and a younger sister, Toryelle Dawatte, who are twins and twelve years old. Unlike Braritt, Talisk has a great deal of interest in the running of the Inn and may end up taking over the Inn in place of his older brother, however he is currently considered to be ‘too young’ to be shown how to do things by his father. His sister, Toryelle, who has the long blond hair and striking good looks of their mother, is already showing herself to be a great help in the kitchen and may become a cook in her own right one day. She has yet to cook dishes herself; however she does collect and add spices and other seasonings to the dishes prepared by the staff in the inn’s kitchen.

The stables are supervised by De'enpol    'Horsefriend' Eyelia, an Eylian who has been employed by Cali. Local adolescent males are used as stable boys and as porters within the drinking establishment. Gilane, Gileca and Gilyca are the three barmaids and waitresses of the Red King Inn. They are three sisters supposedly within their mid-thirties who have never married. Instead, they are happy to be single, as this allows them the freedom to entertain, welcome and support lonely travellers who are staying in the Red King Inn overnight. They promise to add warmth to the men’s stay on cold winter nights. It is rumoured that they could be Witches, Fymbels, Butterfly Rovers or Mind Smoothers, although it is also just as possible that they are merely what they appear to be, three unmarried Kyranian sisters.

A regular of the Red King Inn is a large overweight man of uncertain ancestry. How he remains sober enough to consume endless alcoholic beverages and how he is able to meet the cost of his drinking is a mystery to those who encounter him, although he is well known to the other regulars, staff and owners of The Red King Inn simply as Nrom. Indeed, he is greeted with a loud chorus of “NROM!” whenever he enters this watering hole. Nrom is seen as an important part of the Red King Inn, and Cali has been heard to say on more than one occasion that “if Nrom leaves, it’s all over. I'd have to close up the inn and do something respectable.” Nrom will tell his tales of “history and wonderment” to anyone who is willing to buy him a round or two, although he does have his own variations on such famous tales as “The Hunter and the Red King”, and his stories of the history of this area of Santharia should be taken with a grain of salt.

Description
The Red King Inn is built in the style reminiscent of the old Kyranian Kingdom, with the building extending both above and below ground. Below ground are the living quarters of the staff, the cellars containing the local and imported wines served and drunk and store rooms of food stuffs that can be kept for relatively long periods of time. Stairs come up from this below ground floor into the kitchen area of the ground floor as well as the stables, allowing easy access to the rest of the inn for the workers.

On the ground is the main common room of the inn incorporating a bar, dance floor, space for games of Arvins Arrows and Discs and tables for card and dice games. The owner, Calitter 'Cali' Kanemir, has recently decided to try an outdoors eating area as part of his inn. Reasonably priced food and drink combine with views out over the bay and the city of Naios, to make this a popular eating place of choice for the wealthier citizens of, and visitors to, Naios city.

Behind the bar and common room are the kitchens, where the meals are prepared for the patrons of the Red King Inn. The kitchens are dominated by two large fireplaces that both heat up the inn on cold winter nights and provide cooking fires for the kitchen staff of the inn.

--- THE FOLLOWING ARE NOTES FOR THE HISTORY TABLE

History
Founding of the city, and the foundation stones of the original Red King Inn laid.
Destruction of the original inn when Naios is attacked and in time rebuilding recommences.
Second Red King Inn finished and is in time burnt down.
Third Red King Inn is rebuilt and this one is brought down by the floods of <flood year>. The owners of the Red King Inn at that time decided to rebuild slightly higher up the hill.
The fourth version of the Red King Inn has stood firm for the past few hundred years. It is seen by the citizens of Naios City as a sign of them being able to take the worst that the people of other tribes and races as well as the weather of Caeleroth can throw at them and they’ll keep on coming back stronger than ever.
Nrom first appeared in the Inn.
Current owner took over at the death of his parents. Later married and had children.
Became famous wider afield when the Compendium Researcher Deklitch Hardin began staying there and bringing word of the food, stories, drinks, games and people of the Red King Inn back to the Compendium. Soon enough, famous compendiumists such as Masterbard Judith of Bardavos, Ta’lia of the Seven Jewels, Shabakuk Zeb Anfang and Altario etc etc have all visited Naios City for research or enjoyment purposes. Rumour and inuendo suggests that Altario’s visit to the walled city was for both research and enjoyment, as he was investigating whether or not the barmaids of the Duchy of Geldin wear undergarments inside and outside of their bedchambers.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 07:28:27 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2011, 18:31:49 »

The above is very much in development still, however I do welcome suggestions ... as things are still likely to be changed, I haven't spell checked it yet, so don't worry about spelling errors. :)

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2011, 01:19:14 »

I think you might have misspelled the name of the duchy, assuming you haven't decided to rename it.  The post you linked to in the other thread spells it as "Gilden". 

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2011, 13:51:30 »

Gagh ... so I did, thanks for picking that up Mina, I can see this becoming another Silven vs Silvern thing for me.

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2011, 05:32:26 »

Hi Dek,

Thanks for alerting me to this! There's no problem with mentioning Shabakuk as an occasional guest, nor with the rumours that the barmaids might be witches. How they could be suspected of 'being' fymbels, I'm not sure, since they don't seem to have a craft? (They could have been fymbel apprentices in the past, of course, but broken off their apprenticeships for one reason or another, and become barmaids.) But in any case, might it not be better to have one rumour about the barmaids (rather than, as at present, four), but to spin that one rumour out a bit further?

Say, for example, if the rumour was that they are witches: maybe people say that these three barmaids have already served under Cali's father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, but that they still look as young as the day when they first arrived. Or maybe it's that some of their special guests  stay rather more nights than they had planned, and after a week emerge from the inn looking pale and disoriented, thinking they had spent only a few hours with their barmaid.... There could be many possibilities.

Dek, I think the entry is nicely written and has some cute ideas. But I have a general question or concern: at the moment, it reads a bit like an introduction to a role-playing scenario, not so much like a compendium entry. As I see it, the 'Places' section of the compendium would be interested in an inn insofar as it is important for society (in one way or another), or has some history of note, or is a site for interesting phenomena (such as, say, a resident ghost, or indeed suspected resident witches). I am not so sure that a compendiumist would be massively interested in details about the family of the current owners. For example, would the compendium really be so interested in whether the man who happens to be the current innkeeper shaves regularly or not? Or in the career plans of the innkeeper's adolescent son? At the moment, the description of the inn and its residents as they are today seems to take the greatest proportion of the text, and I think that's a bit unbalanced. To make a slightly dubious comparison: it's as if the Wikipedia entry on the City of London would spend more words on the current mayor's hair style than on the city's Roman history. Am I making sense? Or maybe it's just my personal taste I am expounding here?

In any case, I think it would improve the entry if you would flesh out the history section some more (as you probably intended anyway), and make it clearer why the Red King Inn is so notable a place. Maybe an important treaty was once signed there? Maybe a murder took place, and the ghost of the victim can still be heard in Room No. 7 on rainy days, and in particular when you can see a rainbow from the window? Or maybe it's the case that Nrom himself sometimes seems to the visitors' eyes rather more transparent than is considered healthy for a grown man, and that Cali the Innkeeper has to keep denying that Nrom is, in fact, a ghost himself. And maybe it's literally true that if Nrom leaves, the house collapses. (I mean, that the house might really only stand because it is supported by the ghost's magic and good will, and that without Nrom, the walls would crumble ...) Maybe it's the case that he literally never steps out of the front door, but is always already there when the first guests arrive, and still there when the last guest leaves ...

Needless to say, I'm not offended if you don't take up any of these ideas. But I do think your inn could do with some feature or event that would make it more likely to be of interest to a scholar of the compendium. At the moment, your text could be a piece of advice for travellers just as well as a place entry.

Which brings me to a different idea: it would be possible, of course, to publish your text in the Library (instead of under 'Places'), as a first-person report from a contemporary inn? Library entries have more scope for being idiosyncratic and impressionistic, I would think. You would then not be bound by the 'Places' template, either ... Just an idea ...

Anyway, have fun writing, and if you update this and I happen to miss developments (I'll be rather busy with work at least until Christmas), please do alert me and I'll do my best to comment, if you like.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2011, 05:56:41 »

Thank you for your comments as always, Master Anfang. :)

I will address them later, but I wanted to acknowledge that I have read them.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2011, 05:58:42 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.