Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Witches in Santharia  (Read 11848 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2012, 05:51:49 »

Do you not also chisel marble? Or am I missing the point?

Chisel: A hand tool with a squared, beveled blade for shaping wood, stone, or metal.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2012, 07:34:46 »

Sorry to be taking so long to reply ...

Well, the Chisel Witches are intended to be woodwrights (as the current draft says ...), not metal workers, so it seems all is well in this respect? Unless I have contradicted myself somewhere?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make progress on this entry before January. It's a shame - I thought I'd finish a draft before the new uni term starts, but it wasn't to be.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2013, 05:20:18 »

Having done fierce battle with my tendency for over-elaboration, I have decided to leave several ideas, which I had originally thought to include, out of this entry, and to submit the current overview for the perusal of my esteemed fellow compendiumists. May you tell me if it's comprehensible or not, and whether crucial bits of information are missing. If this finds approval, I may subsequently submit more specific entries that clarify the witches' ways: how they live, how a witchling may rise to become a powerful witch, how witchfinders ply their trade, ....

In short: comments, please!

Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2013, 05:25:00 »

I'll have a closer look during the week, Shabakuk! Still need to get the last part of my story finished in order not to let it hang in the air, but then I'm back again at commenting!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2013, 05:53:53 »

I'll look forward to your comments!  :D

I may not be around much on weekdays in the foreseeable future, but will try to take the occasional Santharian holiday on weekends.

Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2013, 05:07:42 »

Ok, finally I'm back on this one and read it all the way through to give some comments:

- Lovely examples you provide there yet again, cleverly weaving in all kinds of minor and larger Santharian references, thus giving the entry more scope and depth :) As always a grand example on how to write an entry that not only expands key ideas in our universe, but embed it all perfectly in what already exists. Be it krumhorns, Susilgerim ambassadors or wopes, we've got it all here to enrich the entry!

- "Witchling" is also a very nice term as Talia already mentioned. Think it fits pretty well. Also like such terms like "Eight Legs of the Spider" for the Great Covens.

- The pictures (along with the ones from the Witchcraft entry) will make this a heavily illustrated entry, goooood! Hmmm... We have a picture somewhere of a house of some sort of hermit maybe in the middle of nowhere (by Judy or Faugar, I'm not entirely sure), which might as well go through as a nice witch house. Then again, the entry will already have a lot of pics (one with Hildula's hut), so maybe we should still keep that.

- Witchfinders also made it into the entry, I'm happy with that, always nice to have a dark side to things, especially when it fits all together! thumbup Even the Weavers are now woven into the entry, and it works splendidly that way as well I'd say. cool Same with the Stýrash origin of the word, the moral codes and beliefs, mangificent. All in all the entry really bursts with ideas all around! clap

- Ha, spotted a missing word! And the fact that there's so little to discover in this regard shows how perfectly polished the whole entry is. Anyway, here it is:

None but the most discerning of observers may be recognized them for what they are.

There's one more word missing further down:

You may no doubt have heard that chisel witches are able to carve a likeness of a person in wood to create a magical link between the two

And here:

Needle witches have achieved great skill in signs of protection: spells that ward off ghosts or demons, illness or injury, thieves or liars.

- "potions made of toad spit and the nightmares of kuatus" lol

- I notice Footnote 2 preceeds Footnote 1... Interesting... :)

- You might mention at Jiggle Witches and Warble Witches that there's often a connection to Butterfly Rovers, who are travelling around and make money by performing in front of people. This feeds the suspicion people might have of them - that they get "bewitched", robbed of their possessions thanks to their literally "enchanting" nature, but the next day they are already gone. Such dancing seductresses might be the source of words like "bewitched" and "enchanting".

- Ah, I like that sending concept... Very nicely written, absolutely cool stuff! Go Rhyme Witches! cool But in general it's very difficult to pick a favourite coven I have to say... They all are very special in their ways, and for example the Loom Witches or the Spindle Witches are no less fascinating than the Rhyme Witches. All in all a fantastic mix that gets everything suspiciously "witchy" on board, from voodoo dolls to love potion brewers

- Undoubtedly an aura +1 is more than well deserved, Shabby (I'll add another one tomorrow) - it's truly another landmark entry that could hardly be written any better than this! And I think what we have now in the entry is definitely enough for a single entry, even if you always want to make it more perfect. But if there are things you think you could further add to elaborate on the concept, I think you can always make sub entries. Anyway, together with the Witchcraft entry an enormous chunk of magic related stuff got done now, I'm very proud of these additons to the Compendium! :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2013, 06:10:03 »

Shaba, I wonder, if the   Terquan Robe could be witch made also. I could add a few sentences to my entry to make the link perfect. Just a suggestion.

Edit:

Just started with history stuff and found this (No need to include it though):
201    Death of the Santharian Santhran Dagolth
Dagolth "the Liberator" dies from a heart attack after he has got notice from the death of his firstborn sons. He is only 51.
   Death of the Santhran Dagolth's firstborns, Dagmin and Dagrin
Both twins die during a hunting expedition near the Khalgoroth Gorge in the Northern part of Rimmerins Ring. The circumstances are strange though. The twins have been very close friends, but hunting companions report that Dagrin has pushed Dagmin from a precipice, seemingly being in a weird state of mind. After having realised what he has done, Dagrin commits suicide throwing himself into the gorge the next day. The accident has never been cleared up. The kingdom is shocked.
   Calron Hammersfeld "the Weak" ascends the throne
   Birth of Veior Ithvinna Rigvildskan, an Avennorian Graveness
The future wife of Santhran Lysarian Hammersfeld is born.

202    The Council of the Linked Hands meets
The Councils meets to deliberate and finally backs up the Santhran, which is credited to Santhranna Majida, who steps forward and presents herself as a formidable woman with a sense for diplomacy and clever use of the power she has seized.

203    Queen Mother Shawaldah accuses Santhranna Majida of witchery
The mother of the Santhran Calron, Queen Shawaldah, has not been able to overcome the death of her firstborn sons. She tries to find out desperately what has happened during the fatal hunt where both were found dead. The reports about the strange behaviour of Dagrin when he pushed his brother leads to her belief that witchery was the cause. She finally asperses Santhranna Majida, because of her mysterious parentage. Though she has been fond of the girl once, she now accuses her of having bewitched Dagrin to kill his brother and himself, so that her husband would become Santhran.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 06:41:52 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2013, 07:32:12 »

Thanks, my friends! It's been a long time since I last submitted an entry. I had almost forgotten how nice it is to get comments from my colleagues!

Talia, I like the idea about the Terquán robe; will have a closer look at your entry soon. Maybe a little reference in the section on needle witches might be suitable? Regarding the Queen Mother's suspicions: thanks for digging that out! I or someone else could make something of that in a later witch-related entry (such as a spell description), maybe?

Arti, thanks for your close reading, and the praise. I hope I'll have time to fix the mistakes you found this weekend - I'll let you know when I'm done. Might make a few stylistic edits of my own, as is my pedantic wont.

It's high time I finished this entry; for the last year and a half, a bad conscience has been nagging me. I feel I let the compendium down by leaving a half-finished concept languish for so long. Better late than never, though!

PS: Auras for your encouragement, feedback, and ideas.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 07:35:21 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

Ding-dong!
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2013, 03:25:20 »

All done, I think! Significant changes are in limegreen. I hope they please! The Terquán robe is in there, as are observations regarding the effects of a witch dance on its audience, and an elaboration on the link between Rovers and witches. Thanks again for your valuable comments.

Regarding the pictures, Arti: my personal opinion would be that four pictures are quite enough for now. Thanks for thinking of more options, though!

Ding-dong!
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2013, 05:04:38 »

I thought about how to integrated the spindle witch or the possibility that the robe has been woven by a spindle witch. The easiest way would be, if I added an 'Edit' (or a better word for addition), or a new last paragraph titled 'new insights', something like this:

A recently in the (for the?) Compendium published work , that about  witches by Sir Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang discloses a new possibility how the robe, if it really existed, might have worked...
and so on.

Would this be ok? We have a date, so Shaba's work was only recently available. ?? :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2013, 20:55:59 »

I have no objections.

"If the robe does, or did, indeed exist, a recent discovery by the compendiumist Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang throws light on the question of how such magic was possible. As Shabakuk found in his research on Santharian witches, powerful members of the coven of spindle witches are rumoured to spin yarns that do not just take you on a flight of fancy, but can be made into garments that are literally capable of lifting you into the skies."

Any good?

Ding-dong!
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2013, 23:24:35 »

Thanks Mr Anfang!  hug

Art, please add this right to the end of the Terquán Robe!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 15 January 2013, 03:13:25 »

Mag-ni-fi-cent additions, Shabby! cool Please allow me to give you a third aura +1 for a single entry, because this is just so great a contribution with all bells and whistles, just wonderful! I'm looking really forward to getting this one on site - what a comprehensive work, absolutely fantastic! The perfect entry to start the year :)

clap clap clap

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 January 2013, 07:29:03 »

You're too kind, o sage.

I am proud to have obtained my first blarrow since ...um ... about hundred years ago?
« Last Edit: 15 January 2013, 07:32:56 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

Ding-dong!
Sparkle
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 January 2013, 00:20:13 »

I'm afraid I have too many, strong opinions on how witchcraft "should" look like. I made a long rant of a post and deleted it, since it was just... wrong. Your work is great, it's just me being hidebound. Anyhow... I'd like to say some other things. First of all, charms.

A charm is either an amulet carried by a person or a ward you put on your wall or by a door. You make them from herbs tied together, animal parts (usually bones or teeth), stones or other small objects. Amulets can either be whole objects, such as a semiprecious gem shaped like an animal, or  hexbags which contain several objects. Basically, if it can be put in a potion, it can probably be used for a charm as well. The most common charms would be better business or success wards (you put them in shops to attract more money); fertility and virility amulets, amulets against dark magic, hexes or the evil eye; wards against fire (you put them in your wooden house); luck charms; wards for happy homes and/or marriages (positive aura, anyone?); wards and amulets of protection and finally safe travel amulets.

I'd like charms of this kind to be yet another coven. Why? Because charms are really witchy, having been used along with potions and the like, by people on Earth thinking they could do magic. By adding charms as a ninth coven, we would have "authenticity". They are also an excellent way to use plant, animal and mineral parts of Santharia in a new way, just like potions are. Only charms are solid objects while potions are liquid ones (the third part here would be fumigations for gaseous ones).

The second thing I'd like to say is divination. Witchcraft is a means to affect objects, to do things by magic. Divination is how knowledge is acquired. If someone has put a hex on a man, and he visits a witch for help, she uses divination to find out what the hex is and how to cure it. I can also imagine witches using divination as a means to listen to the secret signs of nature. In any case, divination is closely connected to witchcraft, as a tool used beside it. I would appreciate if we'd remember this fact and maybe make a divination overview later.

Third... I'm not sure if this is useful, but these are some "laws" governing how sympathetic magic/witchcraft use to work:
    Principle of contagion: Links are formed between objects that once have been in contact with each other. Very strong links of this type are between parts taken from something and the whole they were taken from. For a human, this would be the link between pieces taken from the body (blood, hair, nails, et c) and the body as a whole. The second strongest links to a person would be through well-used and well-carried objects, such as clothing or jewelry.
    Law of association: If two objects have something in common, they are bound together through the common elements. The more aspects they have in common, the stronger the bond.
    Law of similarity or sympathy: An extension of the law of association, the law of similarity (or sympathy) states that bonds are created between objects and representations or copies of those objects. Thus there is a connection between humans and dolls which look like humans, and between humans and their portraits.
    Law of correspondence: Another extension of the law of association, the law of correspondence refers to the bonds created by symbolism.
    Law of names: Because of the law of similarity and the law of correspondence, the law of names links names with what the names represent.

I've always liked how they looked. I didn't actually make these myself (sadly) nor are they the only "laws" that use to be said about this type of magic (the others aren't as relevant). However, I really like the idea, and they explain nicely how sympathetic magic works.

Here and there, whole mighty trees glowed with an emitted phosphorescent light. You could trace the very course of the great roots in the earth by a faint light that came through; and every twig, and every vein on every leaf was a streak of pale fire.
George MacDonald, Phantastes
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.