Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The VerKnerThaerar  (Read 7726 times)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2011, 18:44:30 »

Why do I get the feeling this thread is going to attract more than its fair share of puns?  grin Thankyou Judith! dross-dibblers is much better, I was struggling to think of a good name by then, I think. I have been sketching them, because it helps me picture things, so I could stick a picture up here if people are curious, though I'm aware it isn't the sort of style the compendium uses.

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2011, 23:32:54 »

Purty please.  I should love to see your concept art!    It is possible that it may inspire me...or become a cooperative illustration if you are so gracious....  (bats eyes hopefully)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2011, 02:25:14 »

I'd be honoured! I'll see about rooting out the least sketchy sketch just as soon as I get back home- travelling across from my parents' tomorrow.
Oh, and I added in some alterations, as you suggested, tell me if I've missed any mention of dross-takers.

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2012, 23:08:25 »

here's a sketch, then. sorry about the grubbiness of the scan, but I guess that's kinda fitting, in this case. ;)

and here is a link to a better quality version.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2012, 23:10:53 by seth ghibta » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2012, 17:31:21 »

And here... is the coloured version.   Thank you so much for your wonderfully inspiring entry and awesome sketch!

Dedicated to, of course, Seth:  Two Dwarven Rotgatherers!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 03 January 2012, 18:04:30 »

*hehe* They look really cute in these overalls, and really well made into a colour picture with background and stuff based on Seth's sketch! And it's always funny to spot elements of other elements, which made it into the picture, like e.g. the fishing bucket from the Nepris swamps, which has miraculously made it into what looks like a sewer... lol  But aside from the VerKnerThaerar also the other details are nice: The broken barrel, the grate, the one-sided shovel... This really helps to make the entry alive, so aura +1 for that - congrats to aura no. 300 therefore! thumbup

Methinks a few shadow things could still be fixed, like the face mask at the female worker in the background seems to lack said shadows and maybe a few more folds could be added to the guy in front as well.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 January 2012, 19:09:03 »

shocked
That.
is amazing! Thank you so much Judith, that looks fantastic! I love how you've done the female one's overall, and the colours are perfect! I'm afraid I have to spoil your neat 300 aura already.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2012, 13:18:23 »

Um...  so Judith you did this picture in one evening?  Yes based on Seth's sketch (which was very good) , I understand but that is quite impressive.   And yes another hidden gem not posted in the artist forum.  sneaksy little Bard. 

Oh hold on, I just noticed the one in the back is female.  Not sure the knee guards are needed up there too  shocked. But then again what do I know.

Great work both of you.  I am loving the amount of activity we are seeing nowadays. Both writing and illustration.  Very inspiring.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2012, 15:09:39 »

Here is the updated version, based on Artimidor's critique: more wrinkles, less glare, and the little extra detail of an ID number.  Those dwarves are pretty organized, ya know....

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2012, 16:49:35 »

Lovely, Judy, lovely! thumbup Also the spiders add an interesting touch BTW, very cool!

Now I have to read Seth's entry soon, as I see progress has been made on all fronts, and that's marvellous to see fresh ideas being realized so fast!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 06 January 2012, 17:29:40 »

I like to imagine what might have wrenched the grate bar askew.. and was it coming or going?    :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2012, 19:02:47 »

*hehe*  grin

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2012, 07:11:00 »

It's a great pleasure to see you submitting an entry again, Seth!  heart

As usual, it's an imaginative and well-written one, and the collaborative picture with Judy will takes fantastickal realism to a pleasingly streetwise and gutter-savvy level!

After a day working at the computer, my mistreated eyes do not allow me to comment in detail today, but I just wanted to throw in an idea:

Those Nerthers that work in human cities - would they have developed relations with Daran gnomish alchemists, who might well be interested in the development of fertilizers, and in chymical experiments involving rotting or fermenting waste products more generally?

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Deklitch Hardin

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2012, 08:52:53 »

I promise a response in a day or two Seth.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2012, 05:16:40 »

Quite a brilliant entry you've got there, Seth, now that I finally got to read it! Another aura +1 for getting the idea so well elaborated within just a few days after its initial conception - and also providing the super-detailed sketch for Judy's pic! thumbup

The way you put it together their genesis really becomes clear and all the fields they are needed in are nicely presented. We even have typical Tharian name for them with the Nerthers and Earthers, and I like those very much as well! I like such details you've put in there like the Muck Queen and her spy ring... lol Writing, spelling included, is practically perfect, and it's always a pleasure to read well organized and flawlessly written entries! grin

A few things:

- In the territory section I've spotted a "dwarfs", which we usually write "dwarves".

- In general I personally always recommend to use the Tharian name as the primary one rather than say, a Thergerim expression or a Styrásh one. We haven't done that consistently, but I think it makes the most sense of the Compendium, which has a human stuff primarily, would use a common word first. E.g. a flower called "Cavernfire Bush" is easier to recognize through the word alone than "Kayfer" or "Khorultir", which are dwarven names. So if possible I'd opt to make e.g. "Nerthers" or "Earthers" the entry's main name. That's just my suggestion of course, which I think makes the most sense in the long run.

- I had to smile at the "Piss-takers", because "taking the piss" apparently is also an expression... So I assume the pun is intended... ;) In general the names are very appropriate and at the same time some of them are quite funny, like the Dross-dibblers or the Worm-wranglers - I see you know exactly how to make things interesting!

- Marcogg, New-Santhala and Nyermersys with their sewer systems feature prominently (urban legends included *hehe*), so you also make sure to embed everything properly - high marks for that! Even idioms aren't forgotten and fit just perfect!

So to sum in up: You've really thought it through and made a highly unique and enjoyable concept Santharian reality! Applause, Seth, very well done! clap

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.