Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ulfet Glandor'en - The Wolf of Glandor  (Read 8356 times)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« on: 31 December 2011, 10:26:03 »

A Glandorian myth for you. I'm too tired to explain more - I hope I did a good enough job in the entry itself.

Athviaro

Ulfet Glandor'en - The Wolf of Glandor

Overview

This ancient Glandorian myth tells of events which took place at the climatic end of the First Kanapan-Glandor War; it was predominantly an oral tale, but it has been found engraved in pictorial form in many places through the Glandorian peninsula. This version, however, is a translation of the text in the single greatest source of modern knowledge pertaining to the peninsula; the Skarlbog, or Skarl Book. This document is believed to be the result of an effort by Konig Gotiravow the Scholar to compile all Glandorian culture into one document; to this end, the great skarls - poets, scholars and sometimes users of magic - of the kingdom were summoned and ordered to record their memorised songs, tales and histories.

Prevalence

This myth is believed to have been common in the past Kingdom of Glandor, and would have been a familiar part of any skarl's repertoire. Now, however, it is almost unknown except among scholars and those with a particular interest in the Glandorian peninsula.

History

The seeds for this myth were laid by the heroism of Glandor in defence of the peninsula and people later to bear his name. After a fort was constructed on the site, a miracle - at the time - of architecture, it is said that Glandor swore no Kanapans would ever pass it. However, the events that this tale is based on occurred twenty years after Glandor's death; a Kanapan army was attacking the fort, and a group of Glandorian warriors - including future Konig Lamskun, already known as "the Warrior" - claimed to have been aided by the spirit of Glandor, returning from death to fulfil his oath.

Importance

This myth was one of the cornerstones of Glandorian cultural identity, and vital for those who wish to understand their vibrant and influential culture. While it may not hold much fascination for those uninterested by the Glandorians, for those who are interested it provides a prime example of their verse and fills a vital niche in their mythology, as the basis of one of the most persistent myths about Glandor himself - that, when the peninsula of his people is threatened, he will return to repulse the invaders.

The Tale - Annotated

Thorulf the Old had been on the throne five times five years and was grown old.
The Black Killers [Sort Ban'enns, their name for the Kanapans] were nearing the unbroken tower.
The crow and the eagle descended on the field [Battle was joined].
Men killed and were killed, and the battle-metal [swords] of the living became blood.
The death-cry and the killing-cry split the air and the cloak of Meanra [fog] hid man from sword-brother.
In the blood of The Accursed [Tranergete, another name for the Kanapans] were boys made into men.
At that time battle-sons were parted and fought alone, praying to Hanranns for strength.
The battle-skarl of Thorulf was slain as he brought strength to the men with his song.
Thorulf, gold-giver, life-taker [liege-lord, warrior] was surrounded by a blackness.
His wigthwepterns [battle-servants, shortened from wigtheowepter'enns] stood by his shoulder and killed.
Their hands were blood; their faces were blood; their blades were blood.
The crow and the eagle circled above the struggling warriors.
The skarls brought weakness to the minds of the Black Killers,
But they were too few and could not bring down so many.
One by one, dozen by dozen, men were falling everywhere.

On a hillock in the misty swamp stood but a dozen men.
Their names at that time well known to all Thorulf's gold-given [pledged men].
Glandor himself alone and his closest friends were thought of more highly.
Adalulf , Jordwoc, Hrimknut and his brother Fasteknut.
But more famous than these was their leader.
He was greater than Adalulf, who slew three wolves on his skarlnet [coming of age, where the skarls proclaimed a boy a man].
He was greater than Jordwoc, who could not be thrown by half one dozen men together.
He was greater than Hrimknut and Fasteknut, though they moved as one and with the speed of Meanra's breath [the wind].
Known to all as The Warrior, his name is with us today: Lamskun.
His blade moved like lightning and his mind was faster yet.
He had studied under the greatest of warriors and the greatest of skarls.
Lamskun led these tired and hopeless men, the overwhelmed heroes of a nation.
They were muddied, they were bloodied, and they bled from their battle-brands [here: wounds; often: scars].
The din of the fight was a hellish clamour and they had lost their comrades' voices in it.
Lamskun had lost his helmet in fighting as they became separated from their fellows.
As he took to his knees in exhaustion, his men did likewise, but not long did they remain so.
As Lamskun raised his head, the shroud before his eyes moved.
He beheld the familiar walls of our unsullied fort.
At first he was overtaken by a bleak despair, for it seemed that The Accursed would humble Glandor's pride.
Then the Black Killers were upon them in their hordes.
The weary ones took up their blades once more and bade each other farewell.
Hrimknut swore to Fasteknut that they would fall as wintery waves on the shore [within moments of one another and with great force].
Jordwoc raised his frame from the ground and bound his great fists with iron.
Adalulf stood poised and proud, to kill those who were rigged to die.
Lamskun, mighty Lamskun, touched his blade and murmured Glandor's refrain [from the tale of the Kanapan invasion].
"I know not what death tomorrow brings,
But to those who bring it to me may I bring theirs."
His sword was strong, for the skarls had aided in its forging, and such an object bends the world.
Oaths and refrains said upon it gain weight and power.
Upon such a blade had Glandor sworn that no Black Killer would pass our greatest pride [the fort].
Holding such a blade had he declared his famous refrain on the eve of our greatest battle [the original Battle of Glandorfield, won by Glandor and his army].
And Lamskun gave again that proud refrain and stood before our unbroken tower.
And Glandor - proud Glandor - remembered his oath, and with his brothers of deed and blade did he return.
Not even the bonds of death can hold the giver of such an oath at such a time.
From their slumber arose Glandor, with Ersknut and Vorulf and their companions.
They heeded not the muddied soldiers of Thorulf.
Glandor led them in silence more terrifying than the raven's screech [as it descended on a corpse or cripple after a battle].
At the killers from the night they charged, and they swung weapons of unearthly awe.
With them ran Adalulf, quick and refreshed, and with him Hrimknut and Fasteknut.
Behind them came mighty Jordwoc, the wounds of his flesh no more than stone-pricks.
Ahead of them all, by the very side of Glandor, strode Lamskun.
He was no longer just a man of Glandor, but his very companion.
He was as steady as the spirits who moved across the broken ground like men on their own ships.
Within moments they struck The Accursed, who before Glandor's silent fury quailed.
They beheld something far greater than themselves, and knew then that there was no hope for any.
Though the first fought like men who face death ought, those behind fled.
Those who dallied in the charge led in the retreat, and those who led in the charge dallied in the retreat.
But neither lived.

Those who fled were availed nothing, though they were swift.
Adalulf was swifter, and the cowards, dead already in spirit, began to fall to his blade.
With escape blocked, they fought like the cornered wolves he had killed to become a man.
Again did Adalulf prove himself a man, and those who fled a second time met only Jordwoc.
To stand and fight avoided only the death of honour, for the death of the body was certain.
Lamskun and Glandor, Ersknut and Vorulf were implacable.
Between those who tried to flee and those who tried to fight were Hrimknut and Fasteknut.
They harried the backs of their foes and forced them to turn.
They fought as one until there were no more foes to fight.
At that time Glandor and his retinue faded back to their rest.
Their oath was fulfilled and the honour of Glandor safe, but the battle remained unwon.
Lamskun and Adalulf, Hrimknut and Fasteknut, and mighty Jordwoc.
Victors of one fight, they led their countrymen to the next, that another conflict might be won.
Growing in number, they swept across the field until they came to the place where Thorulf lay.
The tale of their unearthly allies told, the weary warriors paid their respects to Thorulf, dead in battle.
And Lamskun, the Wolf of Glandor, was lauded above all men.

The Tale - Unannotated

Thorulf the Old had been on the throne five times five years and was grown old.
The Black Killers were nearing the unbroken tower.
The crow and the eagle descended on the field.
Men killed and were killed, and the battle-metal of the living became blood.
The death-cry and the killing-cry split the air and the cloak of Meanra hid man from sword-brother.
In the blood of The Accursed were boys made into men.
At that time battle-sons were parted and fought alone, praying to Hanranns for strength.
The battle-skarl of Thorulf was slain as he brought strength to the men with his song.
Thorulf, gold-giver, life-taker was surrounded by a blackness.
His wigthwepterns stood by his shoulder and killed.
Their hands were blood; their faces were blood; their blades were blood.
The crow and the eagle circled above the struggling warriors.
The skarls brought weakness to the limbs of the Black Killers,
But they were too few and could not bring down so many.
One by one, dozen by dozen, men were falling everywhere.

On a hillock in the misty swamp stood but a dozen men.
Their names at that time well known to all Thorulf's gold-given.
Glandor himself alone and his closest friends were thought of more highly.
Adalulf , Jordwoc, Hrimknut and his brother Fasteknut.
But more famous than these was their leader.
He was greater than Adalulf, who slew three wolves on his skarlnet.
He was greater than Jordwoc, who could not be thrown by half one dozen men together.
He was greater than Hrimknut and Fasteknut, though they moved as one and with the speed of Meanra's breath.
Known to all as The Warrior, his name is with us today: Lamskun.
They were muddied, they were bloodied, and they bled from their battle-brands.
The din of the fight was a hellish clamour and they had lost their comrades' voices in it.
Lamskun had lost his helmet in fighting as they became separated from their fellows.
As he took to his knees in exhaustion, his men did likewise, but not long did they remain so.
As Lamskun raised his head, the shroud before his eyes moved.
He beheld the familiar walls of our unsullied fort.
At first he was overtaken by a bleak despair, for it seemed that The Accursed would humble Glandor's pride.
Then the Black Killers were upon them in their hordes.
The weary ones took up their blades once more and bade each other farewell.
Hrimknut swore to Fasteknut that they would fall as wintery waves on the shore.
Jordwoc raised his frame from the ground and bound his great fists with iron.
Adalulf stood poised and proud, to kill those who were rigged to die.
Lamskun, mighty Lamskun, touched his blade and murmured Glandor's refrain.
His sword was strong, for the skarls had aided in its forging, and such an object bends the world.
Oaths and refrains said upon it gain weight and power.
Upon such a blade had Glandor sworn that no Black Killer would pass our greatest pride.
Holding such a blade had he declared his famous refrain on the eve of our greatest battle.
And Lamskun gave again that proud refrain and stood before our unbroken tower.
And Glandor - proud Glandor - remembered his oath, and with his brothers of deed and blade did he return.
Not even the bonds of death can hold the giver of such an oath at such a time.
From their slumber arose Glandor, with Ersknut and Vorulf and their companions.
They heeded not the muddied soldiers of Thorulf.
Glandor led them in silence more terrifying than the raven's screech.
At the killers from the night they charged, and they swung weapons of unearthly awe.
With them ran Adalulf, quick and refreshed, and with him Hrimknut and Fasteknut.
Behind them came mighty Jordwoc, the wounds of his flesh no more than stone-pricks.
Ahead of them all, by the very side of Glandor, strode Lamskun.
He was no longer just a man of Glandor, but his very companion.
He was as steady as the spirits who moved across the broken ground like men on their own ships.
Within moments they struck The Accursed, who before Glandor's silent fury quailed.
They beheld something far greater than themselves, and knew then that there was no hope for any.
Though the first fought like men who face death ought, those behind fled.
Those who dallied in the charge led in the retreat, and those who led in the charge dallied in the retreat.
But neither lived.

Those who fled were availed nothing, though they were swift.
Adalulf was swifter, and the cowards, dead already in spirit, began to fall to his blade.
With escape blocked, they fought like the cornered wolves he had killed to become a man.
Again did Adalulf prove himself a man, and those who fled a second time met only Jordwoc.
To stand and fight avoided only the death of honour, for the death of the body was certain.
Lamskun and Glandor, Ersknut and Vorulf were implacable.
Between those who tried to flee and those who tried to fight were Hrimknut and Fasteknut.
They harried the backs of their foes and forced them to turn.
They fought as one until there were no more foes to fight.
At that time Glandor and his retinue faded back to their rest.
Their oath was fulfilled and the honour of Glandor safe, but the battle remained unwon.
Lamskun and Adalulf, Hrimknut and Fasteknut, and mighty Jordwoc.
Victors of one fight, they led their countrymen to the next, that another conflict might be won.
Growing in number, they swept across the field until they came to the place where Thorulf lay.
The tale of their unearthly allies told, the weary warriors paid their respects to Thorulf, dead in battle.
And Lamskun, the Wolf of Glandor, was lauded above all men.

Postscript

Here the poem ends; it is not recorded here how Lamskun became Konig Lamskun the Warrior, but it was almost certainly on the strength of his tale as well as his previous reputation as a fighting leader. Thorulf died in fighting the Kanapans in the centre of the battlefield, despite his advanced age; he may have been looking for a glorious death, in a culture which valued honour and sacrifice highly.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2012, 16:53:21 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2012, 22:06:36 »

nice work Athviaro! a very different but, I think, very fitting style of narrative. It really reminds me of some form of ancient myth I've read somewhere, though for the life of me I can't place it. Either that means you've disguised it and made it your own really effectively, or I just have a rubbish memory. a bit of both, I suspect. ;) not knowing much of the context surrounding it, I can't really comment on that, but the storytelling itself seems alright. I'm not sure if you need to repeat the whole thing without annotations. if there was a way of separating the text from the annotations a bit, like the way some old texts are put side by side with their "gloss", that would be good, but I don't know about the practicalities of that. I really liked the language though, and the gloss/annotations do add a lot to what might otherwise be quite obscure formations. the bit about "Hrimknut swore to Fasteknut that they would fall as wintery waves on the shore [within moments of one another and with great force]." was brilliant. ^w^

other than that, I found a couple spelling/ grammar things, but they're only tiny.
They were muddied, they were bloodied, and they bled from their battle-brands [here: wounds; often: scars].
The din of the fight was a hellish clamour and they had lost their comrades’ voices in it.
well done, aura for a very authentic-feeling myth!

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2012, 05:02:08 »

First, many thanks for your kind praise. The form is loosely based on a Norse style of verse; properly, the lines would have internal alliteration, but due to the fact that this is a "translation" and the actual vocabulary doesn't exist in many places I've ignored that and just written (hopefully) suitable-sounding formulations, again looking at the oetic language of Norse poetry. The varied line length is to do with the fact that each idea takes a line - probably a development from an oral tradition, where poems had to be memorised phrase by phrase - and so it's supposed to sound a bit like something to be chanted to a hall of drunk fur-clad axe-wielding maniacs. Not that I'm stereotyping or anything like that.

Secondly, I think if there were some way to toggle the annotations or have them by the side that would be the least unwieldy solution. Perhaps footnotes would work, but it's nice to read it au naturel also.

Grammar is to be fixed. I am distraught at my typos.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Ath

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2012, 05:09:49 »

Fixed typos now. R-r-r-ready for comments.

*It's cold up here in the Glandorian snows. I really need to finish my research.*

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2012, 21:54:47 »

Lamskun, mighty Lamskun, touched his blade and murmured Glandor's refrain:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395741_10150495785503587_517153586_8981161_1331060155_n.jpg

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2012, 22:10:36 »

...Wow. Amazing. Just brilliant. A definite aura for you, Judy. I like that it was that line in particular as well; I can really set that picture in my mind; almost see the words and the knowing reference in his glance.

At a guess, the two in the background are Adalulf and Jordwoc? The one on the left has that perfect wolfish cast to his posture and his face - his name literally means Noble Wolf - and the one on the right just has huge muscles and a big club - Groundborn, his name means.

As to your message: it's perfect. Dark and blonde hair are both possible for the Glandorians - I didn't really want them to be "people-of-insert-hair-colour" - and the skin tone is absolutely fine as a realistic contrast to the blackness of the Kanapans. They wouldn't be powdered white like Greek goddesses. And the hillock crowned with a mighty oak rising out of the mists like a proud-masted vessel is fantastic. Thank you so much, once again.

In grateful appreciation,

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Bowled-Over

EDIT: Damn the Avennorian entry, the early Glandorians are getting dark hair. I'll retcon it most absurdly if I have too; perhaps Ciosa had a thing for blond hair? Or perhaps dark hair is tied to families traditionally less maritime.

Also: No offence to the original author of that entry.]

EDIT the second: New claim to fame: Has an illustration from both the Bard and Seeker. Who'd'a'thunk't?

Also, compressed a five word sentence to one.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 01:25:38 by Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr » Logged

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2012, 12:25:03 »

Bard, I think this is your most amazing work to date.  You have really managed to improve your human figures since I started here.  I has been quite amazing to watch the progression. :)

Auried. thumbup

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2012, 16:00:00 »

Hey, Alt - my husband just had a look at the pic and his first comment was 'Swords are too long.'   :)

He filled me in on some of the technical reasons (Dammit, Jim, I'm an artist, not a weaponsmaster!) and I see what you are looking for.

On giving him some background (the saga) Bryan also pointed out that our Noble Wolf (dark man on picture left) really should have two shorter weapons (fangs) and one in his RIGHT hand. 
I like that idea enough to want to change that in the picture - shorten Wolf's blade which he shouldn't be able to hold one-handed anyhow and give him an ax or poniard in the other hand.

Then shorten up Lamskun's blade and lengthen the hilt to give him a nice bastard sword. 

Finally, Bry does not approve of the all-metal bashy club thingy!  Apparently it takes too much artistic license (despite Jordwoc's huge muscles)  or it's made out of aluminum...  he suggests either giving it a thicker, wooden handle (to absorb vibrations and to be replaced when it inevitably breaks) or making it a simple club.  What's your thoughts on the matter?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2012, 17:24:33 »

To go through backwards:

I think that either a wooden club or a wooden handle is a good idea; you could instead, if you wanted to, because I'm not sure that they can cast iron in the way that a big ball of it would require (though I'm willing to be proved wrong), give Jordwoc either a club a la Heracles or alternatively (forgive me if this makes no sense, I'm tired) a stone head to the club - perhaps a sapling grown around a large stone?

I like the idea of Adalulf carrying two shorter blades; his wolfishness is coming out more in this picture and I think the idea of him getting close and personal with a dagger or short blade is a great one.

Still, I abosolutely adore the picture; it's a brilliant work, and I think all your ideas for it are great.

I assumed you were still talking to me...

Athviaro

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2012, 04:40:29 »

Ok, read the text now as well, so here a few comments:

- This is definitely something one needs to get used to a bit, as it's an entirely different style from what we have so far on site, e.g. ballads or prose - this is strange mixture and reminds of Norse texts like Beowulf, which Tolkien translated as well. And of course if it is presented as a translation it gets even a bit rougher for the reader. Nevertheless it's a fresh new idea to try something different and give a glimpse in the Sarvonian North, apparently influenced by the Earthen North.

- The term "modern" sounds very much like it belongs to Earth as it's, well, also quite "modern".

- Why is "Konig" in italics?  huh I assume "konig" would mean "king" in Tharian. Due to the fact that these are still terms used on Earth in the North, and even German still has the word "König" I recommend to better move a bit further away from being too close to Norse mythology in the nomenclature. Inspired yes, but if it's too close it gets distracting as well. So one should be careful here not to go too far.

- What exactly does "skarl" exactly mean? Poets, scholars and sometimes users of magic - all in one? Or is there no appropriate Tharian word for it? I assume it basically means "bard" (and you actually try to make a word for "scald", right)? I'd make that clearer at any rate. Hmmm... "battle-skarls brought weakness to the limbs of the Black Killers" - did they sign them to death? ;)

- The Importance part is rather short and general and could use a few more details, I'd say.

- I also don't think that it's necessary to have the text presented here twice, once with commentaries and once without. Wie could solve this e.g. by adding footnotes. Or we can only use the first version with the commentary in it - I guess due to the nature of the text there are no rhymes or anything that get disrupted if we leave it in, actually the commentary helps to understand the text better, so that's ok I'd say.

- All in all: The myth, especially its form, is an interesting approach, introduces something new and lays some groundwork for the Glandorian culture, so that's also quite important. And the picture takes care that we also have the visual image in our minds as well :) So aura +1 for the whole thing, Ath! Now the next question is: When will your masterwork be ready? It's about time to become an official member, eh?  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2012, 16:42:54 »

Arti,

Seth and I actually discussed the issue of annotations earlier in the thread; personally, I like to read it without them, but I accept that they are useful. Seth came up with the idea of having them toggle on and off; alternatively, we could use footnotes or similar. One thought I had had was to have something I've seen done on before, where the notes are "collapsed" until they are clicked on, at which point they expand to be read, and can then be collapsed again. I don't think that it should just be presented with the annotations throughout, because I do think it spoils the reading somewhat to have Compendiumist's notes in there catching your eye.

Is it site practice to put foreign loanwords into italics? If not, I'll deitalicise Konig and Skarlbog. Konig does mean King; I suppose I've made it with myself in mind. The idea is that it is very similar in form to Tharian, so Konig is a reasonable word; people can see the relationship. Not being a primary Nordic/German speaker, I'll rely on those of you who are to tell me whether it loses its impact as a believeable foreign related word when it's a contemporary word in your own language.

Do we not use the word "modern" on site? If not, I'll change it to "current", but I think in a way it highlights the fact that every culture invariably thinks of itself as "modern" despite the fact that those more "advanced" may regard them as undeveloped.

I'll do a bit of work on the Importance.

Skarls are, indeed, users of magic in addition to their roles as teachers and scholars. They are, in effect, ancient male witches; their magic functions in the same way. There really is no word for it; just like there is no modern equivalent of scribe - a scholar, teacher, mathematician, recorder, administrator etc.. Their name is certainly inspired by the scalds, yes. A similar language, as I said. However, I have to say that though there is nominal inspiration, the skarls do not fulfil a carbon-copied role; under Kanapan-borne Elven influence, the Glandorians develop their writing system and the Great Peace allows the skarls to develop their role as teachers and keepers of knowledge. They are much more than bards singing to drunken warriors drinking mead.

So, no, the skarls didn't sing the Kanapans to death; they wove an enchantment about them. I'm actually going to change limbs to minds or the like; stay tuned!

Tranerg wodte'enn! Ic kanik tedyeer mu ides tisnet!*

I didn't make up a single new piece of vocabulary for that. I need to type this up nicely.

Athviaro

*Accursed internet (one-who-tells-words/communicator)! I cannot tell you (plural) my ideas tonight!

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2012, 18:11:23 »

Do we not use the word "modern" on site? If not, I'll change it to "current", but I think in a way it highlights the fact that every culture invariably thinks of itself as "modern" despite the fact that those more "advanced" may regard them as undeveloped.
I think "modern" is probably alright.  This site says that it goes back to around 1500.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've used "modern" in a few entries myself. 

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2012, 19:13:13 »

[...]Is it site practice to put foreign loanwords into italics? If not, I'll deitalicise Konig and Skarlbog. Konig does mean King; I suppose I've made it with myself in mind. The idea is that it is very similar in form to Tharian, so Konig is a reasonable word; people can see the relationship. Not being a primary Nordic/German speaker, I'll rely on those of you who are to tell me whether it loses its impact as a believeable foreign related word when it's a contemporary word in your own language.
[...]

Just a quick note here: In Dutch the word for king is koning, in German it's König, In Swedish konung... Yeah, I'd say Konig is a believable word. Since it's supposed to close to the Norse  mythology, I wouldn't say it's too close to that (Swedish konung, norwegian konge). It's really only almost the same words as the German, which is only a bit distracting for people who are native german (Sorry Arti! ;)) For myself, I didn't find it distracting :).

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2012, 21:26:21 »

How about a nice bit of (linguistically feasible) transposition?

Kynog / Kynig / Kognin / Kognung / Kinin

Cyng / Cyning (authentic btw)  Cynig / Conin

If you need the feminine for any reason, 'Quen', 'Qene' 'Kwen' or 'Kwyning / Kwynig' might all work...

:)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2012, 21:00:01 »

Hope this is better.  Weapons have been reworked, skin texture worked over as well.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 61
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.