Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: R'unorian Imperial Court  (Read 3780 times)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« on: 18 January 2012, 23:41:56 »

Original stub Here

Name: R'unorian Imperial Court

Overview:
Along with the Guild of Librarians' Omnibus and the Guard's Council, the Imperial Court of R'unor forms one third of the triumvirate that advises the R'unorian Empress. The Imperial Court advises the Empress on courses of action, aids in the governance of the empire and acts as a limit to her power in such cases where it would be against the interest of the empire. The Imperial Court may be used to refer to both the organization and the location in which it meets.

Function:
The R'unorian Imperial Court is responsible for the day-to-day governance and stability of the Empire of R'unor. They deal in matters of law, the taxation of livelihood and property, levying tariffs on trade within and with R'unor, and the creation and circulation of the imperial currency. This is not to say that the court itself directly oversees all of this, but rather that members of the Imperial Court sit at the head of these activities, and direct them through various organs related to the court.

Organization:
The Imperial Court of R'unor meets monthly in the city of R'unor on the isle of R'unor. The majority of the court is formed of minor functionaries who rarely are included in formal proceedings of the court unless directly involved with some part of the meeting. The constant presences within sessions of the Court are the governors of the assorted cantons of the empire, envoys from the Guard's Council and Librarians' Omnibus and the Empress herself.
This group is referred variously to as the "Small Court" or the "Major Court" based on the number of members (typically scant few) and the importance of those members (among the highest in R'unor), respectively.

A governor is a member of the nobility, typically a third or fourth child with little standing within the family, appointed by the Empress to ensure the smooth running of the various portions of the empire, called cantons.
The various governors ensure the collection of taxes within their respective cantons. They are also the final arbiter of judgment and responsible for seeing that crimes are dealt with according to the law. The individual governor does not judge crimes themselves except in the most extraordinary of circumstances.

The day to day work of judging the R'unorian common law is left to appointed individuals referred to as Aspects. An Aspect is a judge appointed by the governor of a canton to ensure that the law is upheld without placing undue stress on the courts of the cities and towns.
An Aspect makes the rounds of smaller communities and delivers the Empress's justice on matters of Base Law, so that courts do not become crowded with petty disputes. Their word and judgment is considered to carry all the weight and power of the governor whom they serve.

Appearance:
There is no set code of dress for members of the court, though most of them prefer the traditional R'mart dress regardless of tribe. Much of the Imperial Court is comprised members of the R'mart tribe, though a few Blaar'kr and N'eshmor will inevitably find themselves involved as a result of those tribes predominating among the Librarians and Guard's Council. While reforms under Mogh may have improved the lot of men substantially, nine tenths of the major court is typically female, while a little more than two thirds of the entire court is also female.
There is a marked preference among members of the court for paler colours, with bright accents, in imitation of the Empress herself, who wears pure white.

Each individual governor has a gold, turtle-shaped medallion emblazoned with the imperial seal that serves as their badge of office. Of particular note, a governor is actually branded, traditionally with an actual brand but more recently a tattoo, with the imperial seal to signify that they are, in effect, the property of the Empress herself. In the rare event that a governor is removed from office while alive, this mark is removed by flaying or cutting the skin.

Agents of the Imperial Court, such as Aspects, are entitled to carry a small replica of the imperial seal, often as a bronze medallion and wear an embroidered sash which proclaims their function. This medallion acts as the individual's badge of office. Lesser agents may be given a small lacquered placard to serve as a badge of office. The most commonly seen variation is given to junior officials who deal with taxes, which has a turtle shell and coin painted on to it.
It goes without saying that misuse or abuse of these tokens is not taken lightly, let alone theft. The typical punishment is that the offending party is pressed into service of the state in some manner of menial labour, on occasion this punishment is indefinite.

The Imperial Court of R'unor is based out of the city of R'unor, the empire's capital. The chambers where the Imperial Court meets, popularly known as the Underthrone, are indeed located beneath the imperial throne itself, the stairs are built into the dais on which the throne sits.

History:
The first recorded instance of a body resembling the Imperial Court occurred shortly following the unification of R'unor. The heirs of vassal houses that had sworn allegiance to Varana Turtleblessed were appointed governors of the assorted islands, at the cost of their own lands and holdings being turned over to the Empire. To this day, the governors of cantons are not permitted to hold other titles or lands to prevent conflicts of interest.

ca. 3200 b.S. The Glorious Reclamation begins
R'unorians begin to reclaim the island of R'unor from the orcish tribes that dwell there. The bloody, protracted war takes fifty years as the humans surround and snuff out pockets of orcs throughout the island.

ca. 3250-3245 b.S. End of the Glorious Reclamation
The Glorious Reclamation ends with the surrender of the last two clans of orcs to the R'unorian forces besieging them.

3230 b.S. R'unorian explorers arrive on Glara
A R'unorian expeditionary force arrives of Glara and is surprised to find the settlement there.

3229 b.S. Glara joins R'unor
A formal invitation to join the burgeoning Empire of R'unor is extended, and accepted by Glara.

ca. 3200 b.S. Unification of R'unor
The Isle of R'unor is unified under the rule of Varana Turtleblessed, the first empress.

3190 b.S. First governors appointed
The heirs of houses sworn to serve the Empress are appointed to govern her newborn empire and maintain it. In order to prevent a conflict of interest, they are stripped of lands and titles and branded as property of the Empress.

3150 b.S. Capture of Vale Island
R'unorian forces land on the nearby Vale Island. When the P'thia tribesfolk living there resist peaceful integration, R'unor invades and captures Vale.

3146 b.S. Capture of the Isle of Kraak
The Isle of Kraak, to the south of R'unor is taken, and the slow process of integrating it into the empire.

3142 b.S. Capture of Grall and Voggra
R'unorian forces land on Grall and Voggra, and subjugate the islanders quickly

3140 b.S. Fall of Bluesteel
The last P'thia settlement surrenders at the sight of a R'unorian fleet headed by a pair of carserrian gopags.

3140-3120 b.S. Consolidation
While most major pockets of resistance have been neutralized, the war with the P'thia largely ignored smaller islands. Twenty years are spent bringing the rebel tribe to heel, a cycle of brief sparks of rebellion followed by vicious and bloody oppression.

3110 b.S. Death of Varana
Varana Turtleblessed dies, her daughter Varaya ascends to the throne, despite consternation from the nobility, beginning the Turleblessed line of Empresses

3110 b.S. The first Invisible War
Disgruntled opponents of the fledgling Empress Varaya launch a series of attempts at assassination and sabotage. While some of the ringleaders are initially identified and publicly executed, the campaign continues. This persists for two years before the sudden death of roughly half of the Imperial Court, at which point the hostilities abruptly cease.

45-60 a.S. The Bloodied Empress Reigns
Vanawe Turtleblessed, the Bloodied Empress reigns over R'unor. Her campaign of cruelty against orcs eventually sparks an uprising which leads to her death. Many orcs flee to the more outlying islands, or take refuge with one of the guilds.

61 a.S. Orcish Uprising
Mogh the Half-Orcen leads a bloody uprising against the Empress, beginning with an audacious capture of the city of R'unor itself, and ending with her flayed corpse being paraded through the streets

61- 89 a.S. Reign of Mogh
Mogh implements a number of cultural reforms, including granting greater freedoms to the guilds of R'unor. Several guilds take this opportunity to expand beyond R'unor for their own safety.

88-89 a.S. Flameseer Rebellion
Kirvana the Flameseer begins a rebellion against the Emperor Mogh, culminating in the Flameseer herself storming the gates of the Imperial Palace and throwing Mogh to an angry mob.

90 a.S. The Flameseer Ascends
Kirvana is formally crowned Empress of R'unor. Her first act as Empress limits the power of future rulers through the creation of a triumvirate council to advise the Empress

90 a.S. Creation of the Triumvirate
The Imperial Court, Librarians Omnibus and Guard's Council form the Triumvirate by imperial order to advise, aid, and if necessary, limit the Empress.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2012, 17:09:39 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2012, 01:29:20 »

Not quite what the Guild of Librarians was, but certainly complete for the time being.

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2012, 07:00:47 »

Fascinating to read how, bit by important bit, you weave a tapestry of R'unorian affairs!

I didn't have as much time at the end of my Sunday as I'd hoped, but for what it's worth, here are two comments:

Why are the Aspects called Aspects? It's a bit of an odd name. In English, the word has many meanings, including grammatical, astrological, anatomical and geographical ones, and it's not clear to me how the office you describe relates to any of these. This doesn't mean it's impossible to use the term, of course, but a Santharian derivation/etymology wouldn't be amiss, methinks!

In the Function section, as well as in the second paragraph of "Organization", you use the word "responsible" in almost every sentence. A little stylistic surgery would be much appreciated!

Meanwhile, aura for your tireless dedication!
« Last Edit: 26 March 2012, 07:04:19 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2012, 10:41:55 »

Fixed the issue with "responsible". I hadn't even noticed how often I'd used the word before you pointed that out.

Deklitch Hardin

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2012, 08:53:49 »

Sorry for taking time to get to this for you, Valan. :)

Some general comments ...
- I'm unclear as to what Aspects are. They seem to suddenly appear about halfway through the entry
- Are there sex restrictions on membership of the Imperial Court? You seem to discuss things regarding tribes that predominate as membership of it, but make no mention of sex. As it is predominately a matriarchical society, it seems to me that some mention of that would be useful.
- Should it be called a 'Kingdom' if there is a Emperess in charge and not a King/Emperor? Would Queendom be a better descriptor? (you refer to it is a kingdom early on in the entry, as well as calling it an empire elsewhere)
- last sentence of the first paragraph of 'Function' confuses me a bit ... "This later group is referred variously to as the "Small Court" or the "Major Court" based on the number of members and the importance of those members, respectively." ... should later group be latter group? I'm also unclear un what the group is you're referring to.
- Omnibus? What is that?
- The Governors are branded ... what happens if they badly abuse their power? Do they get the debranded somehow? Some other punishment? Baring that, are they Governors for life? Or for a fixed term? Are they appointed by the Empress? Do the people vote on them? What happens if a Governor is killed while in office, do they have an assistant who takes over for them?
- "It goes without saying that misuse or abuse of these tokens is not taken lightly, let alone theft." What happens to the perpetuator if the tokens are misused, abused or stolen? Are there any consequences to the person who is meant to be responsible for it should it be stolen?

I do like the idea of them being unable to hold other areas of responsibility while the are Governors.

Sorry if I make little or no sense in the above comments, Valan, but I hope they are useful.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2012, 00:25:38 »

The Empress/Kingdom stuff is... a holdover.
I personally prefer the title of Empress, which is already a thing in entries, but it is officially the "Kingdom" of R'unor.
Probably going to want to go back and fix it once I've finished with some of the smaller parts of the area.

I'll see about cleaning up the grammatical confusion there. I was trying to avoid repetition (obviously I failed).

Aspects are stolen, lock, stock and barrel, from the tradition of Circuit courts. Rather than bringing all the problems to a central location, you have ambulatory judges who ride a fixed route (a circuit) and hear the appeals/crimes/bring the Empress' Justice, to the outlying parts of the kingdom.

The Omnibus, though I've clarified this in the text now, is the administrative body of the Librarians' Guild.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2012, 06:45:50 »

Believe I've clarified it all, though I haven't highlighted (the problem of composing intermittently)

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2012, 04:34:39 »

A governor is a member of the nobility, typically a third or fourth child with little standing within the family, appointed by the Empress to ensure the smooth running of the various portions of the [INSERT WORD HERE], called cantons.
  huh

Otherwise, this looks good to me. Dek, you've made more extensive comments than I did. What do you think?

Ding-dong!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2012, 07:40:32 »

Sorry, that was in reference to the whole kingdom/empire issue. I'm going to be using empire instead of kingdom consistently from here on out.

Deklitch Hardin

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2012, 09:18:43 »

That all looks good to me ... there seem to be a couple of Kingdom's still in the entry ... under location and in the overview.

I'm happy for it to be blarrowed :)

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2012, 01:51:48 »

Splendid! Thanks, Dek.

Valan, why don't you change those two "kingdom" to "empire" and subsequently blarrow yourself? Then this entry could be included in the current update. Congratulations!

Ding-dong!
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2012, 02:38:30 »

A few tiny things:

An Aspect [...] delivers the Empress's justice.

and

Their word and judgement is considered to carry all the weight and power of the governor whom they serve.

Sorry I've no time to be intense, but those leapt out at me.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2012, 18:02:30 »

A note on this one: The History section doesn't have that much to do with the R'unorian Imperial Court itself and deals more with R'unor as such. Therefore I've prepared the history table not as an addition to this entry, but rather to the main entry on R'unor, despite the fact that this one's still pretty old. But I guess it fits much better there, and also the history table of course can be found now in the History section as well. Hope that's fine with you, Valan.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2012, 22:09:38 »

Fair enough Art. The history blurb should be enough then?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2012, 00:40:23 »

Yeah, I guess it should suffice for now.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 78
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.