Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: how the gaspan came to be  (Read 2322 times)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« on: 10 February 2012, 23:45:27 »

still a very rough first draft, literally knocked out in a couple hours, but here goes:

How the Gaspans came to be

Overview:
This R’unorian myth explains how the gaspan, an extraordinary floating sort of jellyfish found on the R’unorian Isles, came to drift above land instead of swimming in the sea like other jellyfishes. It also features the R’unorian god of the deep sea, Murlar, albeit portrayed as slightly less fearsome and unforgiving than he sometimes is, perhaps as this is a myth favoured by children.

Prevalence:
This tale is widespread, as well as widely varying, throughout the natural territories of R’unorian Gaspan. In several different versions it can be heard throughout the R’unorian Isles, and, less commonly, the rest of the Santerran territories. It is less well known outside of these lands, but as Gaspan have become more common in menageries elsewhere the tale has travelled with them, often with the name of Murlar replaced with some equivalent deity, as an explanation for their extraordinary form.

History/origin/purpose:
On the face of it, this is a simple pourquoi tale, meant to explain the form of a creature which seems too extraordinary to exist without explanation: the R’unorian Gaspan. A creature not unlike a jellyfish, but living entirely on land and floating by means of a bell filled with buoyant vapours, the Gaspan is a natural magnet for curiosity, and so various tales have built up around it, eventually merging into something approximating what is recorded below. There are still, however, a great many variations to the tale, especially as it is favoured by children, and so apt to be embellished according to the imagination of the teller. In some versions the jellyfish simply aggravate or offend Murlar and he banishes them to live on the land, in others they impress him by their fortitude or cleverness and are blessed to float out of reach of predators. In one version they are tricked by a wise old Carserrian gopag into trying to steal Murlar’s breath, and find themselves inflated by it and floated in to the land against their will. This, though, is the most widespread version of the tale, though the details still vary widely from teller to teller.

Importance:
Though not particularly fundamental to the beliefs and ideologies of those who tell it, the tale of how the gaspan came to be can nonetheless offer some fascinating insights into the people that created it. The closeness R’unorian people feel to the sea, coupled with the certain knowledge that it is at least as unforgiving a place to live as the land, is clear in the tale, as is a certain lack of patience with the constant complaining and indecision of the jellyfish. There is a definite preference for certainty among the R’unorians, and the tale is often used to warn or make fun of those who are hindered by trivial indecisions. Children especially seem to be fond of the tale, often making a game of it, with one child acting as Murlar, blustering and shouting and eventually “blowing away” all the others, who pretend to be gaspan and jump in and out of the sea, splashing each other.  This compendiumist has witnessed a particularly effective version of this game where the child playing Murlar had got hold of a broad but thin wooden board, and was flapping it vigorously at the others to create gusts of air with which they attempted to fill old paper sacks, until the telling of the story was entirely forgotten in the game.

Narrating the myth:
In older times, when things were still new enough to mark by pushing at them with your thumb, the jellyfish lived in the deep sea and complained. One family, living nearer the shore than the others, complained even more terribly than the rest. They complained that the seawater tasted terrible, and stung at their tiny soft eyes. They complained that the water was cold but the injera looked so warm up above, and sometimes they would allow themselves to float by the shore and watch all the marvellous plants and creatures and people, and say to each other “I wish we could live on land like the walking creatures.”

Murlar saw this and, as he was in a kindly mood, said “I will place you on the land if you want.” The jellyfish rejoiced, they sang Murlar’s praises and begged him to do as he offered, promised him their undying thanks if he would only lift them onto the land. Murlar was pleased with their subservience, and rose out of his deep waters, scooping the jellyfish out of the sea like a fried fish being flipped out of the pan. The jellyfish lay on the shore and looked about themselves, and remarked in wonder that it was just as warm and as colourful as it had seemed when they watched from the surf. But after a while of lying on the beach, they began to feel the injera’s heat more and more. It prickled at their watery flesh, and dried them out and burned at them, until they were sure it would bake them to a crisp. The jellyfish feared for their jelly lives, and cried out to Murlar, “Help us, great Murlar! This land is killing us!”

Murlar chuckled to himself, thinking they had learnt a valuable lesson, and flipped them back into the sea, where they sighed and thanked him as the cool water soothed their parched tentacles. Murlar went away thinking they would not be so ungrateful any longer.

Not such a very long time afterwards, Murlar was passing by again, when he heard a commotion and looked up from his home at the very bottom of the deep seas. The jellyfish were under attack from a great hungry fish, which tore one to pieces and gulped down the colourless flesh even as he watched. The jellyfish huddled together and complained bitterly to each other of their defencelessness, of how back on the land, they had never had to run away from marauding predators. Murlar was about to slip away, when one of the jellyfishes looked up from weeping over the death of her son, and saw the god. “Beautiful Murlar!” she cried, “Please send us back to the land where we can be safe! If you only gave us some sort of armour against the dryness of the air, we could live in peace for all our lives, but here in the deep sea we cannot swim against the weakest of currents to escape the monsters that chase us!”

Murlar scowled, and turned to go, but the jellyfish followed him pleading piteously. In exasperation he scooped them all up in the palm of his hands, and spat on them so that they were all coated in his spit. He threw them back on land, and the spit clung to them as a slime that kept the feel of the deep sea, so that they were not dried out by the injera.

Overjoyed, they picked themselves up and cheered and waved their frail tentacles and even tried to dance for joy. They soon found they were too weak and soft to stand up on land, as jellyfish have no bones, and those hundreds of legs are of no more use for walking on than the whiskers of a vashkoon.

The jellyfish looked at each other, and were no doubt about to start complaining again, when suddenly a sleek green lizard slid down onto the beach with its fish needle claws and its sawblade teeth, and tore into one of the jellyfish people! They wailed and shouted at it and told it to stop, but it only rolled its black eyes at them and swallowed lumps of their friend by tipping its head back as if it was a jug trying to fill itself.

“Murlar!” the jellyfish cried, “Murlar save us! This land is covered in the cruellest creatures and we cannot escape them!”

By now Murlar was losing his patience, and his good noise was entirely spoiled. He shouted at the lizard and its scales turned white as ash, and it skittered away mewling in terror. Then he kicked the still-wailing jellyfish into the sea, and stood glowering on the shoreline as the jellyfish quivered their tentacles in relief, and congratulated each other on fighting off that terrible lizard.

“Will that be everything, or do you wish to waste my time further?”

Murlar’s question made the waves froth white at their heads and charge up the beach like mad horses. The jellyfish quivered all the more and shook their heads to appease the god. all, except for one, who in the deathly silence that followed the question, whispered to its neighbour, “my slime is washing off in this water. I wish it wasn’t quite so wet here, do you remember the cool breezes on the land?”

Murlar didn’t hesitate, but reached down and plucked the jellyfish out of the sea. He brought it up to his lips and blew into it, so that it puffed up, swollen with the god’s breath.

Then he let it go and laughed cruelly as the poor jellyfish floated away, carried by the breezes it had professed to long for. The other jellyfish saw this, and despite their fear they were jealous, and began to think that Murlar had bestowed some special gift on their friend which he had denied to them. Watching this, Murlar saw an opportunity to be rid of these infuriating creatures once and for all, and so was only too happy to offer to do the same for them as he had for the first. They were only too eager to agree, and so Murlar blew up the jellyfish one by one, and set them floating on the breeze, happily out of reach of lizards and fish alike. They drifted and wondered at their newfound powers of flight, until they met up with that first jellyfish, which was calling itself gaspan now, as it felt such a change of lifestyle required a new name. They greeted it joyfully, but it only flapped its tentacles and lamented, “Oh it is good of you to join me friends, but I don’t know why you would want to. It is so exposed here! And there is absolutely nothing but flies to eat! I am quite miserable, I assure you.”

The jellyfish soon saw his point, and they huddled together, grumbling and catching flies with their slimy tentacles. Murlar sighed, and went away to do something useful.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2012, 23:18:17 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2012, 00:23:39 »

Totally a delightful story, Miss Seth ... have an aura from me, and now as it is 1:23am I suppose I should away to bed ... and dream of gaspans :)

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2012, 01:10:15 »

Nice story!

I like things like that:

when things were still new enough to mark by pushing at them with your thumb,

Do we have magnets, or do they have another name? What was again the name of magnetism, something with Al..
Couldn't find it, but came about loadstone, that might fit better than magnet.

Maybe not all jellyfish decided to go on land, we have still some in the sea, right?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2012, 01:12:56 »

Alseitism (or some similar spelling)
And that would be lodestone.

The important thing here would seem to be that question mark, after "god of the sea". Murlar is one of three gods that fall under that particular title Seth. He's the good of deep parts of the sea, Vulrath is the god of the higher bits and the waves and fish, and Ha'lia is for water on land (rivers, streams, ponds, springs and that sort of thing)

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2012, 01:22:00 »

Loadstone, as I said :)

And it is alsetism, your additional s helped me remember, Valan!
http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,12717.0.html

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2012, 01:56:20 »

Just to be clear:
"Alsetite for the ore - Alsetic for the adjective - Alsetism for the force – Alslines for the shape of that force – lodestone for the common name and Lodestone for the central force."
(From the aforementioned entry) Loadstone would imply that it's heavy or something. They're pronounced the same, different spelling.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2012, 04:51:02 »

oh yes, I meant to make it clear this was just the one group of jellyfish. And thanks for that clarification Valan, I wasn't entirely sure. I'll tweak things to make it fit better. :)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2012, 09:53:43 »

*auries Seth as soon as her hand stops shaking from laughing so hard*

I think my favorite line in this is "when things were so new you could mark them with your thumb" - very Kiplingesque - but the wingeing jellyfish are wonderful characters and the story a treat all the way around!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2012, 04:33:35 »

Finally could get to this story as well, here are a few small fixes need:

- Any reason for the question mark at the beginning when you mention Murlar, Seth? He's definitely one of the Gods of the Seas (or the Deep Ocean) according to R'unorian beliefs.

- ...who pretend to be gaspan and jump in and out of the sea, splashing each other.

- “Beautiful Murlar!” she cried, “Please send us back..."

- ...and stood glowering on the shoreline as the jellyfish quivered their tentacles in relief..."

- "All, except for one, who in the deathly silence that followed the question..."

But back to the story now:  rolling rofl Big Grin clap

*hahaha* This is really a funny take on jellyfish I have to say! Their constant whining and the always "helping" Murlar god (quite a fascinating character in itself!) made my day :) The tale is a great idea and well told as well as we are used to from Seth stories, and even the link to children playing with paper bags based on this story is just ingenious! Absolutely delightful I have to say, aura +1 for this very entertaining read!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2012, 21:36:48 »

aww thanks Arti! and sorry about those errors, I think they're left over from the draft stage, I'll get them fixed soon as I can.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.