Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Troll Tribes Overview (Rewrite)  (Read 1893 times)
Vesk Lyricahl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« on: 26 May 2012, 11:24:37 »

Trolls, known as "TRULTRUL" in their own language, are a minor race within the world of Caelereth. That is, as a people they are considered to be minor due to their lack of sophisticated culture or any influence in history and politics, but if one were to meet a Troll face-to-face the adjective would scarcely seem to apply! Their brutish appearance and great size lead many members of the other races to avoid Trolls whenever possible, though the Trolls’ voracious appetite may also be a reason for such evasion. They are believed to be myth by many, but a confrontation with a Troll would convince any skeptic of the reality of their existence.

CAVE TROLLS, THE ("GHEREGHUT")
Possibly close to a thousand Cave Trolls live in caves, hence the name, within the Tandala Highlands. Rarely exceeding three peds and a fore in height, Cave Trolls are the smallest of the six tribes and are often forced to fight with Ban-Yuk ogres, who are only slightly smaller, over the caves the Trolls reside in. They often make their homes by enlarging natural caverns with their great strength and sharp claws - the claws of Cave Trolls are believed to be able to cut through stone with ease. Such caves are often rough and lack any decoration(, as Trolls are not known for their delving skills) [delete]. They trade with the Gob-Oc orcs that live to the north, trading hides for orange quartz, a crystal they consider spiritually significant. Such trade has allowed them to become more sophisticated than the other tribes, and a few have even learned to speak Kh'om'chr'om, the orcish grunting tongue.  

FOREST TROLLS, THE ("NIKNIUT")
Forest Trolls are known to live within the Forest of Souls upon the Isles of R’unor. They number only a hundred at the most and are thought to make their homes within the heart of the forest and beneath massive roots. The Trolls live in isolation and have little to no contact with any other races. Any attempts to locate the Trolls typically fail as the Trolls disappear into the forest they know so well.

MOUNTAIN TROLLS, THE ("KLOIGHUT")
Hundreds of Mountain Trolls, or “Kloighut” (“Mountain Tribe”) in their native tongue, reside within the Troll Mountains of northeastern Santharia. The mountains find themselves aptly named for the Troll raids upon any merchants foolish enough to venture into this ominous range. Raids upon the villages of Acht and Holm are uncommon, though desperation will drive a Troll to plunder outlying farms. The Plain of Sorrow, to the east of the Troll Mountains, provides wild game for the Trolls, the plain nearly impassable to any other race with its rugged terrain and rampant insect population. The Trolls grow to be a fore taller than any of their kin among other tribes and are feared for both their size and the size of their appetites.

NIGHT TROLLS, THE ("MARGHOGHUT")
The Night Trolls of the Caaehl Mountains in Northern Sarvonia are named not for a nocturnal lifestyle but for their worship of chaos and of destruction. In times past, the Trolls were enslaved by dark elves and have since incorporated aspects of the dark elven worship of Coór into their own beliefs. Death plays a pivotal role in these beliefs, as is shown partly by the way a Night Troll will use white face paint in the likeness of a skull. Any captured victims are kept on the brink of death for days with the Trolls sinisterly taking pleasure in the suffering they endure. The Trolls live underground in the ruins of what were once corridors and palaces carved by the ancestors of the Osther-Oc orcs that inhabit the mountains. Wars between the Osther-Oc and the Trolls are common, as the Night Trolls possess an unrelenting hatred for the orcs.

SNOW TROLLS, THE ("IGHMESHUT")
Snow Trolls roam the northern half of the continent of Cyhalloi, their number unknown. Their exact territory remains unknown as well, as the Trolls seem eerily capable of vanishing into the snow and ice. Sightings of the Trolls occur mainly on Folasch island. They've been seen briefly in the tundra of Guldor and in the northern areas of Dorolak as well, but the sightings are so fleetingly short that doubt remains as to whether or not the Trolls were ever there. Tracking them borders on impossible. Cyhalloi snow white paint adorns the faces and bodies of the Trolls, aiding in their disappearing act. There are stories of the Snow Trolls fighting the supposedly mythical Ulvur, but the truth of these stories proves difficult, if not impossible, to confirm.

STONE TROLLS, THE ("IGHUT")
Maybe a thousand Stone Trolls live underground within the Stone Fields of Peat, feeding mainly upon the cragok goat. They reside in a warren of underground caverns and passageways, ones which are difficult to find by any other than the Stone Trolls. It is rumored that a massive lake exists below the surface and is the source of the Stone Trolls’ water. They are perfectly adapted to live within the Stone Fields of Peat, as their jewel-hued eyes can perceive slight changes in the texture and colour of rocks, though they are sensitive to bright colours, and their limber bodies allow them to move among the rock formations with ease. The color of their skin may range anywhere from black obsidian to grey granite.  
« Last Edit: 02 June 2012, 21:21:00 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 12:36:43 »

considering Caelereth isn't a globe, wouldn't discal warming be more appropriate?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2012, 03:47:19 »

I've marked this one for integration next update, Vesk!

The Night trolls sound like a nice addition :) Smells a bit Lord of the Ring-ish being formerly enslaved by dark elves, but looks very fitting. The nocturnal thing is an interesting idea and the white face paint should make them even more terrifying when encountered unexpectedly at night...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2012, 04:09:11 »

I've marked this one for integration next update, Vesk!

The Night trolls sound like a nice addition :) Smells a bit Lord of the Ring-ish being formerly enslaved by dark elves, but looks very fitting. The nocturnal thing is an interesting idea and the white face paint should make them even more terrifying when encountered unexpectedly at night...

Arti, you're going to want to update the Caaehl'heroth blurb again in my northern maps descriptions to the "Marghoghut" trolls.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2012, 04:36:56 »

Okeydokey, will add these trolls there as well!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Vesk Lyricahl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2012, 05:47:04 »

Vesk's name finally returns to the update page!

I added some last minute edits to the Snow Trolls, borrowing their territory from Val's Cyhalloi entry.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Today at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.