Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Necropsy, examination after death  (Read 8838 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2012, 14:35:00 »

You and I should sit down and have a look at Santharian names for anatomy.  Somewhere around we have the equivalent of Vitruvian Man, for Santharia, with the muscles named....and I think I gave some other useful anatomy as well.  Using 'breastbone' instead of 'sternum' or 'thighbone' rather than 'femur' is a good start.  Lemme see about that picture....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2012, 14:38:47 »

Oooh, look, we DID!    Here's the link for your convenience:

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11643.0.html

And here's YOUR list of body parts:  http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,12246.0.html

Anyhow, changing from Latinate to more Santharian names would certainly help.   Also have a look at the Family Book of Medicine link that I posted to you the other day...some great phrases and methodology we could borrow for a more archaic feel  (placing hot iron bars on the spine, blistering, bleeding, and cupping, for pity's sake!)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2012, 19:27:08 »

Hi Kelancy,

I agree, that it helps healers to know, how the body looks inside, though I bet there are ways of being a healer as good as any without that way of achieving that knowledge. You can't find the paths of "life" the Chinese medicine knows with an autopsy. (or however they are called)

What about the following compromise:
The Dalorians do necropsy with the dead bodies of outlaws, hanged etc, all those who would not be buried on a Christian cemetery.. Queprur's priests may be asked to be there, or maybe sometimes not as well. (I think a lot happens in secrecy, the common people might not want it to be performed out of superstition etc)

Queprur's priest do one in the rare occasion when someone (important) is believed to be murdered and it is important enough, to open his body and not give him his deserved rest. They have to do more, than have a look inside, they need to find a poison or whatelse. And have other ways also to find something.

I would generally not make it to something which is accepted. The law may allow it, but the people have a different opinion, in this direction. That does not mean, that there can not be an article in the encyclopedia, we are all educated people there, are we?

I have difficulties to express myself today, let's try another approach.

A small part of the Dalorians practise necropsy, to learn, to teach. Most healers though will not practise it normally. A priestess of Queprur should be at hand, but if not..

"Have you heard? They opened that thief and without a priestess of our Deathmistress .. and now the soul of that poor guy haunts the wood near the village, and as he was an evil person in life he might be more dangerous now.."

I think it is a very difficult subject to describe, its impact on society etc.
What the gods "think" about it is alright, as I see it.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2012, 23:43:12 »

Talia, that sounds excellent!  grin I'm imagining that my character, Kelancey, has actually only witnessed 2 necropsies, performed under the auspices of Queprurian priestesses. He's never actually done any himself, and this would be his description of what he saw another Dalorin doing.

I also really like your idea that the Queprurian priestesses would be the only ones who would handle a necropsy for someone who was murdered--it fits better for them to apply their unique skills in that setting.

Also, thank you, Judy, for going back & finding the references to the body parts. I plan to use Santharian terms for body parts with my next edit, hopefully later today.  thumbup  thumbup

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 27 June 2012, 21:52:17 »

More edits made:

Santharian names for muscles and internal organs inserted, wherever possible.

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2012, 01:28:40 »

After reading the Procedures section again, I wonder, should I just eliminate that part of this entry altogether? Is that a big part of why this entry seems too modern, not feeling like an archaic procedure?

I'd still really like to see necropsy be added to the site somehow, if that's still a possibility. I'm just at a loss for how to make it fit in our world.

--Master Yoda
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2012, 04:46:13 »

Hey Kel, I wouldn't throw this right on the burn pile yet.
I'm not sure but perhaps this might fit as an addition to the surgical procedures section?
Perhaps mention that some unscrupulous physicians like to cut open dead bodies in the name of learning? I'd leave it up to you, but I'd certainly hate to see the work go to waste.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 July 2012, 13:27:20 »

I agree with Valan.  Don't drop this.  From history, there were many periods where medical practitioners hired body snatchers to collect cadavars for their research, and law enforcement had to deal with them.  In this world, you have those horrible terrible dastardly mages (have I mentiioned I don't like magic?), in particular necromancers, who might want to perform necropsy in order to better refine their spells (regents, perhaps?  dried hearts, maybe?).

For the entry, go equal parts lore and medical.  Describe the procedure (limitedly), but link it with an example from above.  That way, you get in the technical, but you Santh it up, so that the reader barely realizes he just learned something. :)

Again, my own opinion and should carry very little weight.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2012, 02:29:20 »

Thanks, Valan & Alt. I'll put some time and effort into "Santh-ing it up", maybe conjuring images of seedy back-alley illicit activities and shady black market transactions with unseemly characters. I hope this can yet fit into a Tolkien-esque world of intrigue and shadow.

--Master Yoda
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 July 2012, 04:34:18 »

Not enough intrigue and shadow in the Santharian universe imo.  evil

But I aim to fix that whenever possible.  ;)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 12 July 2012, 04:47:42 »

Yeah, I also wanted to suggest further dark connections like Altario said, e.g. to necromancers, who might need body parts of the dead. In general we don't have enough graverobbers in Caelereth to put it bluntly, the dark side of things, especially as part of the regular medieval society still needs some elaboration.

As you mention the procedure: It's always possible to put something in of which you can also distance yourself as the writer of the entry by quoting it and make it a document found e.g. at secret congregations where these, some say, unholy things took place. That way we'd have a first hand report with a muddled origin. The more Santharianized it is he better of course, but you have ample possibilities to make that work, Kelancey.

BTW: We actually already have a dissection posted on the site, see the merfolk entry, complete with illustration! Even then we didn't name the mage who made the dissection, probably because it's somewhat of a secret science...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 12 July 2012, 21:53:58 »

I understand that Santharia is generally done in the vein of Tolkien, but... I tried to mimic the style of H.P. Lovecraft in the methods section.  Does that look, well, more ominous and spooky?

I should say at this point that I still have revising to do, and I hope to have a next draft finished soon-ish.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2012, 22:57:10 by Kelancey the Green » Logged

--Master Yoda
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 July 2012, 23:06:39 »

The entry is excellent, but does not cover all aspects of tradition and lore as maybe it should.

I would open the entry to say that traditionally necropsies are performed by the White Nehtorians and Queprur clerics, however! There are known to be a variety of cults and shady figures out there who ignore traditions and subvert divine "law" by obtaining cadavers illegally and grave robbing.

Arti and Altario made good suggestions regarding this.

It was my intent that the Everbright cult practiced fire animation (necromancy using fire magic) in secret covens under Ximax. Unfortunately, that never made the entry and I need to fix it.

Overall, the entry details the good and proper side of necropsy but needs to explain the other side.

Perhaps I can help? Maybe we can dual write this entry?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2012, 00:29:10 »

YES.

Please, Azhira, I would love for you to co-author this with me, please!  Tell me what to do, I could really use your help infusing more mystery and general darkness into this entry.  The remaining edit I had in mind was to include the method of necropsy into that short italicized blurb I've written.

I didn't have any further ideas for how to carry on with this. Could I leave that part, the vampiric, the occult, the creepy part of the entry to you?

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 14 July 2012, 03:08:39 »

I've finished editing the Methods section, hopefully that part will now fit better in our world.

--Master Yoda
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.