Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feast Travel, Hobbits Celebrate Food, Drink, Storytelling and Receipts - Discuss  (Read 3172 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 29 August 2012, 21:28:08 »

NOTE: I know this is a new thing, but Arti suggested that hobbits like to feast and that hobbits would use any excuse for a feast and celebration. It has sort of grown from there. Having this in place would help me with a couple of things in the receipts I've been working on for a while, and probably the Boyzas as well. Besides, my inspiration has been rather taken by this concept/idea. At this point the actual entry is a fairly big WIP, but I do have some discussion questions down the bottom of it hopefully help me in getting this done.

Dek

Name: Feast Travel, Feastravel, Feastrek, Feastour

Overview: To the hobbits, food and the sharing of food is an integral part of life, or indeed it could be declared that to a hobbit, food is life! It seems only natural, therefore, that hobbits would have a festival that celebrates food and the sharing of food between their shires. Hobbitlads and hobbitlasses, when they reach the age of 32, 33, or 34, from each of the shires trek to the other hobbit shires to share food, drinks, receipts and stories with their fellow hobbits from those distant places. After so many weeks of travel, the young hobbits are met with open arms and, after a suitable period of celebrating and feasting, their bellies and carts are filled with food and drink and their heads with new receipts and stories for their trip back home.

Location: The Feast Travel is celebrated amongst the hobbits of <Shire names> located in the Provinces of <Province> and <Province> of the Santharian kingdom in the continent of Southern Sarvonia. The festival is held every five years, in years ending in 0 or 5. <Month 1>, <Month 2> and <Month 3> are the months during which the Feastrek occurs.

Events: There are five main parts of the Feast Travel and to the hobbits, each part is as important as the other parts.
Part 1 - Departure from Home Shire
First of all there is the departure from the home shire, when the young hobbits are farewelled with a feast and are sent off with food, drink, receipts and stories to the other shires. The hobbits left behind are sad at the departure of their fellow hobbits, but they know the absence won't be permanent and they also know that they'll get the young ones from the other shires for a time as well.
Part 2 - Travel there
Great merriment on the journey, very colourful -> comparison to/relationship with other groups eg black butterfly rovers. Maybe the hobbits travelling meet on the road and if they do they feast a bit together as well ---> considered v. lucky if this should happen, after all, they've been walking for so long without regular meals and they see hobbits they didn't know and any time you see another hobbit, you should feast to celebrate.
Part 3 - Time at Other Shire
Feasting and celebration, sharing of food, drinks, receipts, stories. Visiting hobbits treated very well (almost a competition between the shires to see who will treat the guests best). Hobbits from each shire share with the other.
Part 4 - Travel back again
<As for part 2>
Part 5 - Arrival back at home
The hobbits who have been on the feastrek share what they know with their home shire, and the food/drinks/stories/receipts they have been taught/given.

Famous people: Maybe some of the people from the Blessed Tale stories done by Valan? Also need to have a famous chef or two get their start as a result of involvement in this. My Boyza Hobbit Chef for example.

Importance: V Important to the hobbits as it allows them to share their latest culinary masterpieces with the members of the other shires, and at the same time marvel at what the others have been doing since the last Feastrek.

History/Origin: The splintering of the hobbits following the battle of 4 armies is held by the hobbits to be the origin of the Feastrek, and they claim it has continued ever since. Happened every five years since, apart from when natural disaster or war made it impractical.

Questions/Ponderings/Thoughts
Please feel free to respond to these if you have thoughts, if possible, please keep to my numbering system.
1 Traveling groups who see hobbits traveling in such way and their reactions to/relationship with them.
2 Would chefs from other races want to be involved in it?
3 Would hobbits be likely to allow outsiders to be part of it?
4 Blessed tale characters?
5 How would other races (especially Mullogs) likely react to this happening?
6 I have the idea swimming around in my head of the name of the people doing the travelling being referred to as either Feastrekkers of Feastrekkies either by each shire (eg one shire calls them Feastrekkers and the other one calls them Feastrekkies) or by people who aren't the hobbits. Yeah, a rather obvious easter egg there.
7 As this is about the hobbit race as well as a festival, maybe it should go in the Compendium as a subheading under Hobbits as well as in Miscellaneous.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2012, 21:30:37 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2012, 03:30:47 »

Nice start, though it of course needs more fleshing out, but it's on the path now, and that's good :D

Question though, Dek: You write "Hobbitlads and hobbitlasses, when they reach the age of 32, 33, or 34" - hmm, that's a bit strange to formulate it that way, especially as you don't mention it in the Overview that the years 0 and 5 are the ones where the trek occurs. This rule looks a bit complicated to me and not quite working. What if the hobbit is 30 or 31 when we have a year with 0 - wouldn't he travel at all?

Some notes on other questions:

2)+3) Well, hobbits would always look to improve making tasty food. So they'd probably also try to get input from human chefs e.g. However, I'd see this mainly as an inspirational source - a hobbit could prepare food at the feast based on a recipe he has learned and offer it for general hobbit approval. After all, not everything a human like is good enough for a hobbit. There could be even some competitions in this regard. I wouldn't include chefs from other races, though. It should be hobbit-exclusive, at least as far as I'm concerned, because it gets more hobbit-feel that way.

5) Should we be concerned about mullogs? Methinks they are a race of their own by now with their own traditions.

6) I like that Trekkers/Trekkies reference. It suits the hobbits rather well, and the fact that it alludes to something else is a nice touch. :D

7) Sure, no problem with that.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2012, 05:24:38 »

Lovely idea, Dek. Feast-Trek (or however you want to spell it) might even be the main name?

Don't forget to reference the annual Helmondshire All-Year Pie Baking Contest (see All-Year-Pie, Origin Section), another vehicle for hobbit travel and receipt exchange.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2012, 05:28:14 »

Hey Dek, that's a cool idea and soo fitting for the hobbits.

I don't know, if this submission I started some time ago will help you in any way, but here it is

Hobbits and Food

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2012, 06:01:41 »

Please feel free to respond to these if you have thoughts, if possible, please keep to my numbering system.
1 Traveling groups who see hobbits traveling in such way and their reactions to/relationship with them.

It might be considered something prestigious, a sort of informal honour for a chef to be permitted to be involved, assuming they pass the test that is cooking for a group of hungry halfling travellers.

Halflings are fairly genial and friendly folks. I don't think random strangers might be involved but if you had a link to one of the travellers or to someone in the shire you might be able to participate.

4 Blessed tale characters?
I'm sure we could work something out. I'd suggest Mian here but he might not fit. Drop me a PM and we'll talk!

Humans might worry about the sudden influx of hungry halflings in the area.

6 I have the idea swimming around in my head of the name of the people doing the travelling being referred to as either Feastrekkers of Feastrekkies either by each shire (eg one shire calls them Feastrekkers and the other one calls them Feastrekkies) or by people who aren't the hobbits. Yeah, a rather obvious easter egg there.
This is pretty nifty.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2012, 06:14:21 »

A suggestion to consider:

You may have considered this yourself, Dek, but I thought that the Feastrek might be something that is not necessarily done by every young hobbit, and not necessarily at exactly the same age either. It could be a common, a 'cool' thing to do, but not an obligatory rite of passage. I'm thinking it might be like what in Britain (and maybe elsewhere) is called a 'gap year': a year of travelling (or sometimes voluntary work) that many young people slip in between school and university, or between university and the first graduate job. Taking a gap year is so common that it has its own name (as well as having newspaper and magazine articles written about it), but it's not done by the majority of young people. (In order to be able to do it, you have to be able to afford it, for a start.)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2012, 22:00:07 »

This is a very interesing idea.   thumbup

Involved in what way?  It's apparently a hobbit tradition, so other races aren't exactly integral to it.  I don't really see the other races travelling to the shires for it or anything like that.  However, the distances involved are pretty huge, and the hobbits will probably be passing through a lot of human, and sometimes dwarven or elven settlements along the way, so there could be some involvement from other races.  Perhaps some chefs might try to impress them, hoping that the hobbits might spread word of their skill to other towns they pass through, thus raising their reputation.  I'm also thinking that perhaps some inns might offer to host the hobbits while they're in town in exchange for having the hobbits preparing some of their own cuisine for them, as a means of attracting customers who might be interested in more exotic food. 

Have you thought about the routes the hobbits take?  I had a look at the map and, assuming they are taking inland routes rather than travelling by sea, it seems likely that they'll be passing through Elsreth at some point.  It could be an important event for Elsreth.  Perhaps there could be a fair, held every five years to coincide with when the hobbits are passing through the city.  I don't know how many hobbits go on the trip each time or how much money they might be spending along the way, but even if it's not a lot, there might be other benefits to having lots of merchants from other places present the same time the hobbits are, like the second idea I mentioned in the previous paragraph. 

Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2012, 12:14:13 »

Dek, would you mind if I tied Odelve into this idea of yours. He's been a little lacking in direction and this would be a great aid to finishing that one (which I've only had lazing around since april). And you mentioned linking him to the greenthumb/green hands condition of yours.
Just some food for thought. If Odelve doesn't suit it I'd be happy to toss around a few ideas with you and perhaps work something out.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2012, 12:11:55 »

Oh, my.  Look what I wrote just this morning and came creeping quietly into the Compendium to see if I could tack it up discreetly in some out-of-the-way corner...only to find a hobbit-feast going on in the main hall.

Well, I suppose I shall have to sing it for you small folk, for I know how you all love a good song, especially if it's about food.   Here you go then:

A Hobbit Mealtime Song

Savour, savour,
Relish the flavour,
Chutney and apricot pie,
Jiggity jottany,
Pig in a pottany,
Mutton and never-say-die!

Treacle a-trickle,
Dill a fine pickle,
Chew on a lardoon of game,
Mushrooms and mackerel
Time for a snackerel,
Fill up the pottle again!

Pheasant well-roasted,
Brown bread all toasted,
Apples in ale making wool,
Champity munchity,
Breakfast and brunchity,
Better a belly that’s full!

Oh, savour, savour
Relish the flavour,
Better a belly that’s full!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2012, 12:13:04 »

(and I dare you not to read that aloud and enjoy it!)

Merry lunchtime to all,

(the bard goes back to work)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2012, 16:01:57 »

yay, thanks Bard!

And yes, Valan, that's fine with me.

I've been sick for the past couple of days (a head cold that struck stealthily during the Australian spring, not winter) and had a big weekend of dogs being frightened by possums, injuring myself, a church luncheon and family visits. I didn't have the time to come in here like I planned.

I don't have the time now for anything other than a quickish note to say thanks to all of you who have responded. I didn't want anyone to think I wasn't grateful for your ideas, and thought a quickish note of thanks was better than no note.

Time for the gym, which I've also been neglecting the past few days,

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.