Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cerubell Squash  (Read 1186 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 23 October 2012, 10:13:41 »

a) Categorization: Vegetables

b) Overview: The Cerubell Squash, despite the name, has no relation to the Cerubell flower save for in color. While the leaves of the Cerubell Squash are deep green, the squash itself is a deep purple-blue color with darker stripes. The squash is a finicky plant that requires lots of water and sunlight to grow, and is cultivated primarily in the mid- to northern areas of Santharia.

c) Description: The Cerubell Squash is a vining plant, its tendrils creeping out across the soil and laying down roots. It may attach itself to the bottoms of trellises, but is not a climbing plant, preferring to press itself against the sweet, nurturing earth. A single Cerubell Squash plant can occupy a fairly large space, sometimes as large as two peds by two peds, though it is often difficult to define where one plant ends and another begins.

The leaves of the Cerubell Squash look much like large maple leaves, having five lobes that come to a point and rough, jagged edges. The leaves, however, are fairly flaccid, and have a gentle underside, leading to the notion that Brownies might use the leaves as blankets in the autumn (an unfounded supposition, it should be added). The leaves are of a dark green, touched with a bluish hue.

Before bursting with squash, the plant first produces a small flower, usually in late summer when the heat is just beginning to relinquish its grip. This flower, bright yellow in color, stands out among the dark-hued leaves and attracts malise and other insects to the bloom. The flower is small, no bigger than a maiden’s ring finger, and has five long, silky petals that each come to points. The flowers last a few weeks before the wind blows the petals away and the squash begins to form.

The Cerubell Squash turns from light green to light blue-ish green to light blue-ish purple, ripening to color. It has darker stripes decorating its hard exterior, and grows as large as a fore, being roughly oval-shaped (though some form into melon-like spheres). The inside is lighter, more akin to the color of the Cerubell flower, and fleshy. In the very center is a pocket for the seeds, which are long, narrow, and colored a light purple-gray. The Cerubell Squash is harvested middle to late autumn

d) Territory: The Cerubell Squash grows in selected regions, primarily In the province of Vardynn, Nermeran, and Enthronia, but also in parts of Xaramon . Expert gardeners have even managed to grow it in the province of Sanguia though the squash are generally smaller and not quite as flavorful as in the north.

The Cerubell Squash can be a particular plant, requiring a lot of sunlight and plenty of water. Too much shade and the squash doesn’t ripen properly. Too little water and it withers. The best, most healthy Cerubell Squash tends to come out of the Silvermarshes and villages along the Vandrina River where water is easy to come by and sunlight is abundant.

e) Usages: The Cerubell Squash is consumed primarily as a food item, particular by humans and hobbits. Harvested in mid to late autumn, the squash is most often used in baked goods, like breads and pies, where only a little sugar is used to supplement its already sweet taste. It is also occasionally serves mashed, usually with butter and sometimes with a little extra sugar to taste (for those with a sweet tooth). It’s worth noting that the Cerubell Squash tends to require a long cooking time to soften it; when harvested, the fleshy insides are often pretty tough, but after a few hours cooking, they soften and are great in any number of delectable dishes.

In a medicinal sense, Cerubell Squash is supposedly good for removing toxins from the body. Ingesting it is regarded as helping remove toxins from body. Some people (particularly women), will apply warm, cooked Cerubell Squash to their skin to soften it and remove toxins. It is sometimes used as a facemask, and other times used over rashes, though the effectiveness of these measures is questionable.

Many herbalists will instead tell you that the rather bitter seed of the Cerubell Squash has more benefit for the body. Herbalists will collect these seeds, mash them up with mortal and pestle, and create a paste that they insist is more effective at removing toxins—particularly the toxins found in bee stings and insect bites. When applied to fresh stings or bites, this paste can help to cool the skin and draw out toxins.

f) Reproduction: Like many plants, the Cerubell Squash springs from a seed planted in the fresh, moist soil. It is best to plant seeds in mid-summer, and space them at least a ped and a half apart to give each seed space to grow. Particularly when first planting the squash, it is important to water it frequently: most gardeners will tell you to water it 2 to 3 times a day to ensure it is properly hydrated.

The seeds begin to sprout soon after planting, and if properly watered and given sufficient sunlight, can vine out with amazing fecundity. In late summer, the plant will produce its yellow flowers, little beacons of nectar for malise and other insects. In early autumn, the petals fall away and the squash begins to form. Usually by mid to late autumn, the squash is ready to be harvested, and the seeds inside can be saved for the next season.

g) Myth/Lore: The Cerubell Squash is not widely connected to any story or myth, but is connected to some unfounded beliefs, including that Brownies use the Cerubell Squash leaves as blankets. Among others, it is not Brownies by Domovidges that use the leaves as blankets or clothing, and that the little creatures use the squash itself as houses, barns, or carriages pulled by tareps or other woodland creatures. It should be noted that most of those who hold this belief have never actually met Brownies or Domovidges.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2013, 00:38:29 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2012, 23:48:43 »

Hey Rayne - does snow prevent you from going out and now you are confined to your room, alone with your comp and  your mini mew (that was a delightful post!).

Unfortunately I do not have the time right now to read through all and to comment.

What is purple-blue?

Maybe these blue fish, which do not have an entry yet, could feed of them?

http://www.santharia.com/pictures/talia/waterleaf.htm
http://www.santharia.com/pictures/talia/baveras_shrine2.htm

Edit: I read the stuff yesterday - and mixed it up. I thought of course the fish could live of the Pale Frogstool and get blue the more they grow and therefor have digested? Maybe even when they feed on the whote variety also, which could be a puzzle...
« Last Edit: 25 October 2012, 04:15:13 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2012, 16:17:42 »

Hi Talia! It has been a bit chilly lately (particularly this morning, probably because it was the morning after a snow). Entries are usually relatively easy to do in the evenings (if I have time), since I don't require an internet connection to write them. I work with the stored Santharian knowledge I have to fill them out.  ;)

[BTW: I just posted a new blog about pet culture; the content is a bit sad, but there are lots of cute pictures of mini mew  :D]

purple-blue is a color. It is purple mixed with blue. Or blue mixed with purple.

The frogstool probably wouldn't do as food for your blue fish, as your fish are very, very blue and the frogstool is a bit away from the water. However, I might be able to conjure something up to feed your fish. Do they have a name? They are quite lovely!

I'm not sure how available I'll be, at least the beginning of this week. We're doing a lot of (fun) stuff for Halloween. I'll post pictures on my blog so you can see.  :)  We also have a seminar coming up soon I have to prepare for. Crazy busy! I hope things are going well with you.  hug

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.