Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Undertoe  (Read 1170 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 24 October 2012, 14:56:48 »

a) Categorization: Flowers? Medicinal Plants?

b) Overview: The Undertoe Herb is a lanky plant with lobed leaves and a thin form. It most frequently sprouts near the base of trees, preferring pines and other evergreen trees. For this reason, it can most commonly be found in Santharia’s wooded areas, be they larger forests or small copses dotting the countryside. The plant has shallow roots and usually a slightly minty scent. The small berries are often used in dyes, whilst the leaves are most commonly used in the treatment of foot odour problems.

c) Description: The Undertoe Herb rarely grows higher than a grown man’s knee, but appears taller because of its delicate stem and apparently over-sized leaves, which grow on average to a palmspan in length. The leaves are a bright, summer-green in all seasons, even in early winter before the snow chokes them out. They are lobe-shaped, being wider at the ends that at the base where they are connected to the sturdy stem. The leaves drape a little, generally being too large to stay stiff and erect. The leaves are thin but not dry.

The Undertoe Herb generally has but one firm stalk; branches don’t often diverge from the solid stem. When they do, they are short and brief, usually diverging for the purpose of budding additional flowers when late spring is beginning to warm into summer.

The flowers of the Undertoe Herb are small and white, dainty and star-shaped. They are hardly more than a nailsbreadth or two in length, and one plant will usually only produce four or five flowers; however, Undertoe tend to grow in small groups of three or four, and create a lovely scene with their white flowers blossoming together in floral camaraderie. The Undertoe blossoms for a few weeks until finally falling away in mid-summer.

The base of the flower swells, then furcates, usually into three or four smaller bulbs. These continue to swell and deepen into a deep blue. The berries rarely find their way into a pie or cake, being a bit sour, but tend to be preferred by many woodland creatures, including deer, rabbits, and birds. Such creatures will carry the Undertoe berry to other places in the forest to sprout.

d) Territory: The Undertoe Herb grows in many forests throughout mid-Sarvonia. It prefers slightly colder climes where evergreen forests are more common, and can therefore be found in forests such as the Shaded Wood, Thaelon, and Bolder Forest. It can rarely be found farther south than the Goltherlon Forest. In addition to the larger forests, it will commonly occupy small wooded areas, so long as it is shaded and wooded enough.

The Undertoe seems to prefer growing at the base of evergreen trees for reasons yet unknown. In some cases it has been known to grow at the base of a wooden house built of evergreen trees. Its roots are shallow and so do not disturb the trees around which it grows. As it is a fairly common herb, it is not often found in gardens.

e) Usages: The Undertoe Herb has a couple of common uses. The first, and most well-known (particularly among the sartorial or painter community) is as a dye or paint. It is very popular among Caltharian weavers and dyers. The deep blue berries are often crushed and treated to make a bright blue colour. Because of the nature of the berries, the dye or paint it creates can be easily mixed with others to create other colours, and it is therefore often used in the creation of purple and (particularly) green dyes and paints. However, it must be treated thoroughly or its longevity will suffer. The best quality dyes created out of the Undertoe are created by the Caltharians and occasionally exported to other dyers as far south as New Santhala.

The Undertoe leaf has a pleasantly minty scent and is often used in the treatment of foot odour. Simply plucking a leMany herbalists will crush the leaves by mortar and pestle, combine them with alcohol and/or vinegar, and work them into a paste that can be spread on the inside of the shoe or directly on to the foot to decrease the potency of the smell. This method is usually more effective and longer-lasting.

f) Reproduction: Like many plants, the Undertoe Herb starts life as a little seed, usually deposited with a number of other Undertoe seeds in a fertile collection of dung, preferably at the base of some tall and sturdy evergreen tree. It will sprout little roots, then a little stem and leaves, usually when spring is just shaking off winter. It will grow at a moderate but respectable pace, enjoy the season, growing taller and taller as it soaks up spring rains.

As spring is preparing for repose and summer is peacefully waking, the Undertoe begins to effloresce, its white flower blossoming in the lazy summer shade of the forests. It may attract a malise or butterfly or two, but the flower seems perfectly content to wave its little head in the zephyrs strolling through the thickets.  When summer’s youth has gone, the flower will be gone, too, but leave the beginnings of a berry in its wake.

And the single berry will turn to two or three or four, and molt out of its greenish hue, darkening until it ripens to a deep blue. Its deep colour flirts and coaxes the forest creatures to dine, and deer and rabbits may come to nibble at the small berries, or a little bird may come to gobble them up. Carried in this manner, the berry’s seeds will find home in another part of the wood, where it will sprout come spring.

Autumn will come and go without much change to the Undertoe, but winter will quietly steal it away, though it may rise again when the snow melts at last.

g) Myth/Lore: [None to speak of. No stories or associations—unless, of course, you can think of one!]
« Last Edit: 10 November 2012, 17:06:43 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2012, 04:19:50 »

Read it, and have found a couple of oversights, so here we go:

The small berries are often used in dyes...

They are hardly more than a nailsbreadth or two in length, and one plant will usually only produce four or five flowers...

...and Bolder Forest

In some cases it has been known to grow at the base of a wooden house built of evergreen trees.

The deep blue berries are often crushed and treated to make a bright blue colour.
(also search for two more "color"s to replace, also: odor --> odour)

Another nice entry, Rayne, even though it's not that much Santhariarized, only the Territory section has some references. But it helps with building our Herbarium bit by bit, and surely is very detailed otherwise, so all fine with me :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2012, 17:22:53 »

Changes integrated. Sorry it's not more Santharized. I will say that I referenced no other plant when writing it--it has no terran model. But without a myth to ties it to a god, it makes it harder to seem really well-integrated in the world. If you have a myth or story, or any other suggestions for Santharizing it a bit, please let me know!  :)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2012, 21:07:51 »

Well, as far as Santharising the entry is concerned, how about expanding the Usages section with some culture-specific details?  Its range seems to overlap with the territory of the Caltharians, who are known for dying cloth.  How do they use it, or do they not?  Or perhaps there could be more details about the mixed dyes and paints it's used in?  Surely there is some regional or cultural variation in what is made, and how they're made?  What about the cultural significance of those dyes?  The plant itself seems pretty common, so I'm guessing the unmixed dye probably is too, but maybe it is an ingredient in an expensive dye or two? 

The same can apply to the foot odour treatment usage.  How widespread is it?  Is there any variation between who uses the alcohol variant and who uses the vinegar variant? 

Spotted a couple of what seems to be typos:
Many herbalists will crush the leaves by mortal mortar and pestle, combine them with alcohol and/or vingar vinegar

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2012, 10:44:26 »

I made the correction and some changes with regards to the dyes. I want to keep the foot odour thing fairly general, since this, I would assume, is a relatively common treatment. Thank you, Mina!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2012, 04:31:57 »

Now it's definitely a bit better integrated, and I guess that should do it here as well. Marked for next update!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.