Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Maiden's Step Flower  (Read 1359 times)
Rayne (Alżr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 04 November 2012, 11:54:34 »

a) Categorisation: Flower

b) Overview: Sprouting unassumingly and quietly, Maidenís Step (also called Maeggieís Step) is a very small plant that blossoms in a cluster of tiny lavender flowers. It can be found in higher elevations on mountains throughout Sarvonia. From the Gathorn Mountains in the north to the Mithral Mountains in the south, Maidenís Step has a wide territory. While it thrives on sunshine, it requires very little water and can take root in some of the sandiest, rockiest terrain.

c) Description: Maidenís Step is a rather small plant, growing to an area barely larger than a maidenís palm, though sometimes these plants may grow together. It does not grow very tall, but rather hugs the ground, unable or perhaps unwilling to contend with gravity, or else finding it safer to cling to the earth. Itís leaves grow no bigger than a babyís fingernail, and are coloured a pale, dusty green. The leaves sometimes curl slightly, and are thick and waxy.

The flowers, which are almost always blooming, are about the size of the leaves, and are clustered. Each diminutive bloom contains five rounded lavender petals, which hold to the plant for weeks or even as long as a month (though occasionally, as flowers replace other flowers, it is hard to tell when one has gone and another, arrived). The plant may constantly bloom and produce seeds, which form at the base of the flower in seed pockets that eventually break. The seeds themselves, the size of grains of sand, are taken by the wind and flown across the mountain.

The stem of the plant is hidden behind the leaves and flowers, and is little more than a snaking chain connecting the leaves and flowers to the gray-coloured roots, which serve, not only to pull up what little moisture there is to be found in the earth, but to hold the plant securely in place.

d) Territory: Maidenís Step grows exclusively on mountainsides, where the air is thin and the ground is more sand than dirt. It can be found on most any mountain in Sarvonia, from the Gathorn Mountains to the Oro Mountains, from the Nirmenith Mountains to the Tandalas, and all across the High and Lower Fores. Maidenís Step can be found at the elevation where trees and most shrubs have stopped growing, venturing as high as almost any other plant can grow.

e) Usages: Maidenís Step has little use to humans. Because the Maidenís Step tends to grow in small, dispersed clumps rather than in large patches, it used to be common among some people to take someone to the hill, blindfold them, spin them about, and have them walk until they stepped upon a clump of Maidenís Step. Based on the size, shape, and appearance of the clump, an elder or fortune-teller would tell the one who tread upon it what his or her fortune was. The practice is rarely followed today, usually only in more remote mountain villages in and around the Lower Fores and villages on the west side of the Mithral Mountains.

Maidenís Step flowers are occasionally used by herbalists as a sweetener. Perhaps because of the drier conditions or the size of the bloom, the nectar of the Maidenís Step flower is very concentrated. Herbalists may take a clump of flowers, boil out the nectar, and add it to potions and tincturesóparticularly those for children or ones with a particularly repugnant aroma or taste. In some cases, the sweet taste and smell of the Maidenís Step nectar can be used to mask some noxious poisons.

f) Reproduction: Maidenís Step is slow-growing, but hardy and tough. It takes many months for a seed to get to flower. The first phase of growth involves the development of strong roots and a small leaf. Over the course of many weeks, the plant will spread, vining out and putting down roots, then leaves, before it begins to flower. It will then flower almost continuously.

Seasons matter little in the growth of the Maidenís Step. Seeds can take root in late autumn, be stilled by winter freeze, and then start back up again when the snow melts. The Maidenís Step can survive the winter, so long as itís not too long, but can easily be killed if the snow melts too quickly or too slowly; too quickly and the plant will be shocked by the sudden heat, and too slow and rot or fungus will kill the plant before it can fully awaken out of its winter hibernation.

As the plant flowers, and the flowers fall away, small seed packets form, usually hidden behind existing blooms. When the packet matures, it splits, and the grain-like seeds spill out. Most will be whisked away by the winds that snake up and along the mountains, and flown to new lands to take root and grow.

g) Myth/Lore: The Maidenís Step gets its name from the story with which it is often associated. The name of the maiden often changes from village to village; however, around the Mithral Mountains, it is almost unanimously purported to be Maeggie (or some slight derivative therein). Because the name is often debated, the story will be told here without naming the maiden:

It is said that once there was a lovely young maiden, fair and sweet and kind. She lived in a village by a great mountain, and lived peacefully with her loving parents. Alas, one day her parents died of a disease that took them both quite suddenly, and the maiden prayed to Grothar to turn her into rain so that she could wash away the tears.

The maiden became a maid to a cruel man and his jealous wife who lived at the base of the mountain. She was made to sweep the floor and launder the clothes, to cook the meals and make the beds, to wash the dishes and empty the chamber pots. And she was ever so lonely, and prayed to Grothar to turn her into a wind so she could blow away.

The man lusted for the young maiden, as she was sweet and fair. Many a night he made her share his bed, and she was miserable, for she did not love him. She prayed to Grothar to make her a cloud, so that she could float into the sky and forget everything.

It was not long before the jealous wife discovered that the maiden had shared her husbandís bed, and she was furious. In her rage, the wife threw burning coals into the maidenís eyes, and thereafter, the maiden was blind and knew only darkness. She prayed to Grothar to make her sunlight that she might be able to know light once more.

Soon after, in the early morning, the maiden heard a voice calling her. She rose from her bed and followed the voice, leaving the house and treading up the great mountain.

When the cruel man and jealous wife awoke, they did not see the maiden anywhere, but saw the front door was open. From the front of the door and up the mountain were small purple flowers growing in clusters about the size of the maidenís steps. They followed them up and up, scaling the great mountain. However, as they reached the top, the flower footsteps left off. When they looked up, they saw her peaceful face in the sky.

When the man and his wife returned home, they found their house had been blown to bits by a strange and sudden gale.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2013, 16:05:59 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2013, 06:16:52 »

Another lovely little flower, beautifully described. The story (under 'Myth/Lore') is haunting. I think it fits well into a world where those who suffer have often little hope of help or redemption.

b) Overview: Sprouting unassumingly and quietly, Maidenís Step (also called Maeggieís Step) is a very small plant that blossoms in a cluster of tiny lavender flowers. It can be found in higher elevations on mountains through (throughout) Sarvonia. From the Gathorn Mountains in the north to the Mithral Mountains in the south, Maidenís Step has a wide territory. While it thrives on sunshine, it requires very little water and can take root in some of the sandiest, rockiest terrain.

c) Description: Maidenís Step is a rather small plant, growing to an area barely larger than a maidenís palm, though sometimes these plants may grow together. It does not grow very tall, but rather hugs the ground, unable or perhaps unwilling to contend with gravity, or else finding it safer to cling to the earth. Itís (Its) leaves grow no bigger than a babyís fingernail, and are coloured a pale, dusty green. The leaves sometimes curl slightly, and are thin and rough.

The flowers, which are almost blooming (... almost always blooming ... [?]), are about the size of the leaves, and are clustered. Each diminutive bloom contains five rounded lavender petals, which hold to the plant for weeks or even as long as a month (though occasionally, as flowers replace other flowers, it is hard to tell when one has gone and another, arrived). The plant may constantly bloom and produce seeds, which form at the base of the flower in seed pockets that eventually break. The seeds themselves, the size of grains of sand, are taken by the wind and flown across the mountain.

The step (stem) of the plant is hidden behind the leaves and flowers, and is little more than a snaking chain connecting the leaves and flowers to the gray-coloured roots of the plant (repetition), which serve, not only to pull up what little moisture there is to be found in the earth, but to hold the plant securely in place.

d) Territory: Maidenís Step grows exclusively on mountainsides, where the air is thin and the ground is more sand than dirt. It can be found on most any mountain in Sarvonia, from the Gathorn Mountains to the Oro Mountains, from the Mithral Mountains to the Tandalas, and all across the High and Lower Fores. Maidenís Step can be found at the elevation where trees and most shrubs have stopped growing, venturing as high as most plants are able to grow (... as high as almost any other plant can grow [reformulation suggestion]).

e) Usages: Maidenís Step has little use to humans. Because the Maidenís Step may grow aways apart (I'm not sure I understand what you want to say here?), it used to be common among some people to take someone to the hill, blindfold them, spin them about, and have them walk until they stepped upon a clump of Maidenís Step. Based on the size, shape, and appearance of the clump, an elder or fortune-teller would tell the one who tread upon it what his or her fortune was. The practice is rarely followed today, usually only in more remote mountain villages in and around the Lower Fores and villages on the west side of the Mithral Mountains.

Maidenís Step flowers are occasionally used by herbalists as a sweetener for other potion and tinctured (I suggest to delete 'potions and tinctures' here, for the words are repeated below). Perhaps because of the drier conditions or the size of the bloom, the nectar of the Maidenís Step flower is very concentrated. Herbalists may take a clump of flowers, boil out the nectar, and add it to potions and tincturesóparticularly those for children or ones with a particularly repugnant aroma or taste. In some cases, the sweet taste and smell of the Maidenís Step nectar can be used to mask some noxious poisons.

f) Reproduction: Maidenís Step is slow-growing, but hardy and tough. It takes many months for a seed to get to flower, and generally begins by putting out strong roots and a small leaf. (Funny formulation. How about: "It takes many months for a seed to get to flower. The first phase of growth involves the development of strong roots and a small leaf.)Over the course of many weeks, it (the plant) will spread, vining out and putting down roots, then leaves, before it begins to flower. Once it begins flowering, it will flower almost continuously. (It will then flower almost continuously. [Avoding repetition.])

Seasons matter little in the growth of the Maidenís Step. Seeds can take root in late autumn, be stilled by winter freeze, and then start back up again when the snow melts. The Maidenís Step can survive the winter, so long as itís not too long, but an (can)  easily be killed if the snow melts too quickly or too slowly; too quickly and the plant will be shocked by the sudden heat, and too slow and rot or fungus will kill the plant before it can fully awaken out of its winter hibernation.

As the plant flowers, and the flowers fall away, small seed packets form, usually hidden behind existing blooms. When the packet matures, it splits, and the grain-like seeds spill out. Most will be whisked away by the winds that snake up and along the mountains, and flown to new lands to take root and grow.

g) Myth/Lore: The Maidenís Step gets itís (its) name from the story to (with [?]) which it is often associated. The name of the maiden often changes from village to village; however, around the Mithral Mountains, the name of the maiden it  is almost unanimously purported to be Maeggie (or some slight derivative therein (thereof) ). Because the name of the maiden (repetition)  is hotly debated (hotly debated? really? variations of names in such contexts strike me as commonplace and trivial?) , the story will be told here without naming the maiden:

It is said that once there was a lovely young maiden, fair and sweet and kind. She lived in a village by a great mountain, and lived peacefully with her loving parents. Alas, one day her parents died of a disease that took them both quite suddenly, and the maiden prayed to Grothar to turn her into rain so that she could wash away the tears.

The maiden became a maid to a cruel man and his jealous wife who lived at the base of the mountain. She was made to sweep the floor and launder the clothes, to cook the meals and make the beds, to wash the dishes and empty the chamber pots. And she was ever so lonely, and prayed to Grother (Grothar) to turn her into a wind so she could blow away.

The man lusted for the young maiden, as she was sweet and fair. Many a night he made her share his bed, and she was miserable, for she did not love him. She prayed to Grothar to make her a cloud, so that she could float into the sky and forget everything.

It was not long before the jealous wife discovered that the maiden had shared her husbandís bed, and she was furious. In her rage, the wife threw burning coals into the maidenís eyes, and thereafter, the maiden was blind and knew only darkness. She prayed to Grothar to make her sunlight that she might be able to know light once more.

Soon after, in the early morning, the maiden heard a voice calling her. She rose from her bed and followed the voice, leaving the house and treading up the great mountain.

When the cruel man and jealous wife awoke, they did not see the maiden anywhere, but saw the front door was open. From the front of the door and up the mountain were small purple flowers growing in clusters about the size of the maidenís steps. They followed them up and up, scaling the great mountain. However, as they reached the top, the flower footsteps left off. When they looked up, they saw her peaceful face in the sky.

When the man and his wife returned home, they found their house had been blown to bits by a strange and sudden gale.

An evocative story, as I said above. And deftly told, too! It gives this entry something special. Aura from me!
« Last Edit: 20 January 2013, 06:19:48 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2013, 19:42:14 »

I agree, very nice flower! Maybe I start my new painting efforts with it!

However, why does it not grow farther south in the Nirmenith mountains also?  drool The climate in certain areas is not so much different than on any Northern slopes...

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Sparkle
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2013, 22:52:40 »

Waxy and/or thick, small, leaves would help the flower survive on mountain slopes. Why? Because mountain slopes are dry places, with little earth having formed on them. If living in Northern or desert climes this is doubly true.

Here and there, whole mighty trees glowed with an emitted phosphorescent light. You could trace the very course of the great roots in the earth by a faint light that came through; and every twig, and every vein on every leaf was a streak of pale fire.
George MacDonald, Phantastes
Rayne (Alżr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2013, 18:48:58 »

@Shabakuk: Thank you. I have taken all your suggestions. I'm glad you liked the story. I was going for something a bit darker, I suppose.

@Talia: It is ever so difficult to deny you, Talia!--the entry states that the flower grows on most any Santharian mountain. Let me know how I can change the entry to ensure it reaches all the regions where you wish for it to grow!

@Sparkle: I agree. I fashioned this little flower on a plant I recall seeing during the summer when plants still grew, and I think perhaps they were indeed a little waxy, so I have changed the entry.

Please let me know if there are any additional comments/suggestion.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2013, 06:52:20 »

Ah well, Rayne, 'on most any mountain in Sarvonia' is ok, but you could replace 'Mithral' with 'Nirmenith'  - that would span the Southern half as you did it with Northern Sarvonia  :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alżr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2013, 18:42:31 »

Changes made--with pleasure.  heart

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2013, 04:37:49 »

Blarrowed, Rayne!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.