Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: People of Antislar- Iol Peninsula- Northern Sarvonia part 1  (Read 6637 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2013, 05:24:16 »

I hear the North Pole was hit hard by the austerity measures.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2013, 23:23:35 »

Didn't read my first comments so I hope I will not contradict myself ;)

People of Antislar

Overview
One of the earliest races of men in the north, these people were originally referred to as the Icefolk, a people who inhabited the area of the Icelands Coast region of Northern Sarvonia.  Brutalized during the War of the Chosen, they persevered and survived the extreme environments of the north.   With the coming of the Kanapans from the South, they separated from the Ice Tribes, emigrating to the Iol Peninsula.  When the Third Sarvonian War came, these people joined the Darkfriends and waged war against those races from the south, as well as the Ice Tribes.

Not sure how they did that, waged war against the races of the South? Travel there, or did they join the orcs etc to come to Sarvonia? Why should they undertake such a mission? I dont think that travelling was as easy as nowadays, where it is not easy either. Why should they die in the south, for what reason?

The ensuing centuries have seen them in countless wars with their main nemesis, the Remusians, which has created a culture unique to the Icelands. 
Say some more about the wars, the next sentences belongs into an extra paragraph, or add the last sentence about war to the first paragraph.

Their ruling monarchs are considered divine, but it is the temple priests that hold the true power.  Pragmatic, they do not share the Ice Tribe convictions when it comes to isolation and actively pursue knowledge.  They trade with orcs and humans alike, as well as the other races.  Power is their ultimate goal.

Mention magic and do not leave the reader wondering.

In truth, they are the most advanced out of the northern human tribes.  Though, whether that makes them an ally of the Kingdom of Santharia, and thus all the races of good, is still questionable.  Many scholars, and military leaders, still worry that they await the next coming of the shadow.
A hint why they fear that?

Appearance
The People of Antislar are not the dark, swarthy figures of the Ice Tribes.  Having not bred with the Kanapan incursion in 9000 BS, the people of Antislar have more or less kept their Icefolk appearance.  They average nearly two peds in height, with the majority of people blonde haired and blue or green eyed.

That sounds arckward for me, is ,to breed with not reserved for animals?

The above description only refers to the full blooded majority of the Antislar.  This by no means includes the many mixed peoples of orcen, or elvish decent.  In this minority of people, many different variations in skin, hair and eyes can be found.  The Ice Elf mix of Antislar typically have very light features, with hair and skin almost white, and eyes of the coldest blue.  They are tall, even more so than the average Antislar, but lean more toward the thin side.   Half-elves are the rarest of the Antislar mixed ancestory.

The half orc mixture on the other hand, are usually thicker in build, with a shorter stature.  Their skin is usually a light shade of greyish green.  Very few have the typical red or yellow eyes, as the Rhom-oc who comprise most of the orc blood in the Antislar, do not have a prominent red or yellow eye colour.

Even with the general acceptance of intermarriage and mixed races, there is a pervasive bigotry inherent with the Antislar society.  Those born with darker features are often regarded as Remunapans, a derogatory term that combines Remusian and Kanapan.  They are assumed to have undesirable bloodlines, including Remusian or Kanapan. This does cause an inconvenience for those of mixed orcen heritage who do not have prominent orcen features.  In order to distinguish themselves from the Remunapans, the darker half orcs will usually wear a cosmetic greenish grey paste on their face to highlight their orcen heritage.  This allows them to largely forego the bigotry towards the darker features.
Not sure, if this belongs in appearance

Coat of Arms
The People of Antislar have a Coat of Arms that is a two faced profile, the two-faced deity known as Koraya. 

Territory
Antislar if found in the extreme northern edges of the continent of Sarvonia, at the base of the Iol Peninsula, between the Iceland Coast in the east and Caaehl'heroth to the west.  Antislar itself is bordered on the east by the Bay of Calinth, south to the border with Remusia at the Mantle River.  From there, across the nothern reaches of the Heaths of Wilderon, it crosses westward to the Gulf of Oh'Cant'Aewlwyn and the delta of the Camlyn River.  The gulf forms the western boundary of Antislar.  Antislar reaches as far north as the Tors of the Wind and Lofty Lake.

Most of the population of Antislar live south of Mt. Ashtvin.  North, beyond this, most of the people are in small outposts along the way to Lofty Lake.  This forms a chain for traders and hunters to stop in while making their way north in spring or south in fall.  Often poor lawless places, these settlements can be particularly rough.

It must be noted, that in this area, along the coast of the Gulf of Oh'Cant'Aewlwyn is an area known as the Isthmus of Doom.  The Antislar people do not claim this area, and for the most part, stay out of this hostile and dangerous land.

People
Passionate.  This word can definitely be used to accurately describe the Antislar people.  They live life to the fullest and enjoy it.  They put a lot of gusto into how they live, even though most people are poor.  Any chance it seems, to hold a festival or celebration is taken where good food, good friends and good drink can be pertaken to the sounds of musicians and singers.  Even greetings are grand displays, where each person places their faces cheek to cheek on each side, representing the two faces of Koraya. 

The People of Antislar can be described as a very industrious people.  Everything they put their collective minds to, they seem to somehow find a way to do.  Some claim this is because of their past, and the troubles they have had.  Their cities are magnificent, and have the promise of even more splendor in the future.  They put a lot of energy into the beautification of their cities with tall sprires on many buildings and ornate architecture.

Im curious how you will manage to build high towers in this windsweapt land with not too much wood available. (Long , strong grasses? )

These people are also one of the closest tribes to the orcs.  They actively seek out trade with the orcs, practice no descrimination towards them, and in fact, intermarry quite commonly with them.  It has been estimated that fully one quarter of the population has some orc blood in them.  Still, this human-orc heritage is not a seperate entity as with other people of mixed ancestory.  They are all considered "the people".
Have you checked if the orcen society will allow that?

As well, there is a small percentage of people who have Ice Elf blood in them, from trading with the elves in northern Iol.  This is by far the smallest of the racial minorities in Antislar.  Most of these unions are made by the Rangers who patrol the northern fringes of Antislar territory.  It seems that the Ice Elves have accepted into their societies a number of these Rangers over the years who have shown an affinity to nature that most humans of any race have achieved.  They have been welcomed into the elven society as, perhaps not equals but, special guests afforded all the liberties of tribe members.  It is this level of fratrinization that has allowed certain unions to occur.

The children of these unions are accepted by both the elves and the Antislar, though they are encouraged to live in the human cities.  It is not a matter of bigotry that the elves encourage this, nor do they do so in any verbal way.  It simply comes down to the fact that these half-elves tend to think more like humans than elf and would feel more at home among the humans until such time as they are old enough to choose to join elven society and learn the elven or ranger ways.

This disparate cultural amalgamation has created a language for the Antislar that is often hard for non natives to pick up on.  Very hard to master by non-Antislar, it is a combination of Kh'omchr'om, Ice Tribe and Ice Elf Styrash, which is an off shoot of F'v'cl'r Styrash. To an outsider, it sounds as though the Antislar speak to each other jumping between the languages, combining words and phrases into a near gibberish to those not fluent in it. Many speak not only this Antislar language, but one or more of the base languages as well.

I thought quite a bit about your language and Im afraid I see no reason, why they should not have developed a proper language based on the three sources, a language in its own right, that jumping from one language to the next is for me unbelievable. A language no outsider would understand, for there surely there have been some shifts in consonants or the like, some abbreviations etc. I cant speak Spanish, though I have learned Latin. And you are speaking of more than 2000 years. They may have taken an orcish input at some time. But the orcen language has altered also, and so it is even more difficult to understand your language, even if there are similarities. Let them all be talented with languages and easily pic up the orcish too.

Edit: maybe I don't understand you right and you just need to word it differently. Maybe an outsider thinks he hears a strangely pronounced  Icetribe phrase and in the next moment an orcish word? Probably not even this might be the case and only a linguist would be able to work the origins out....  up to you! And always consider who the researcher is and what he could actually find out!

To the problem of elves: I dont have time left to do some research, but does not has Azhira some elves over there who could be willing to trade and exchange good.s Due to the big distance they have established a (small) colony in your lands and over time mixed (partly) with your people? There might still be a constant influx of new elven blood. Hmm?
Back to ironing :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2013, 01:03:00 »

Not sure how they did that, waged war against the races of the South? Travel there, or did they join the orcs etc to come to Sarvonia? Why should they undertake such a mission? I dont think that travelling was as easy as nowadays, where it is not easy either. Why should they die in the south, for what reason?
Going to leave this as facts already in play through many entries and references.  The Antislar were part of the Darkfriends.

Say some more about the wars, the next sentences belongs into an extra paragraph, or add the last sentence about war to the first paragraph.
 Did the latter.

Not sure, if this belongs in appearance
Well, I'd prefer to leave it, as it is a preamble to why some orc mix people wear the face paint, and that does constitute Appearance.

Im curious how you will manage to build high towers in this windsweapt land with not too much wood available. (Long , strong grasses? )
Stone and Maris using Koraya.  They can lift the stone into place.  Surely you remember our brainstorming conversations on this three/four years ago?  I remember it like it was yesterday. :P

Have you checked if the orcen society will allow that?
I'm following the principle of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".  After generations of fighting the same enemy, the Remusians, it would only make sense that they would evolve from animosity to toleration to trading partners to acceptance.  No?  This can be explained in the history section.  Remember, we aren't talking a few years, we are talking centuries.

I thought quite a bit about your language and Im afraid I see no reason, why they should not have developed a proper language based on the three sources, a language in its own right, that jumping from one language to the next is for me unbelievable.
 It is its own language, but comprised of the three languages.  A stranger, knowing one of those languages would recognize words.  If I listen to French or Spanish (more so French) there are words I can distinguish. Here is an article on French words used in English.  The Antislar do not randomly switch from one to the other, it just seems like it to those unfamiliar with it, and in trying to learn the language, it would be difficult to know which language one would draw a word from depending on context.  Using my favourite subject as an example, food, lets look at a popular breakfast cereal, Corn Flakes.  Corn Flakes is English, while Flacons de Mais is French.    Now, in Antislar, perhaps Flakes is used to describe snowflakes, dandruff while Flacons describe the food.  That would be confusing to learn.  Growing up with it, however, would be natural.

To the problem of elves
 How about the Melad'rhim Elves?  Figured I'd ask first before writing a bunch, then having to change it.  They are a nomadic tribe(s) of Elves in Northern Sarvonia.  Therefore they could conceivably be up in northern Iol.

All other changes are in Karikrimson.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 01:07:26 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2013, 01:15:18 »

The elven tribes I speak of in the Kaaer history are long gone from the area. The orcs drove them out of the Themed'lon leaving elven remains and ruins behind for the pre-Kaaer to find.

Given the relative short distances and time overlap between the Kaaer and Antislar, I am surprised there is not more interaction or shared history. This was discussed with Alt long ago, but seems he never integrated it.  undecided

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2013, 14:03:47 »

Haven't done any History yet.  I remember our discussions though, and was happy with how we were going.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2013, 23:47:18 »

Haven't done any History yet.  I remember our discussions though, and was happy with how we were going.

No pressure! If it doesn't fit, no problem. Maybe we could throw in a skirmish or trade post between the two peoples at some point. Whatever works. My people could use some interaction with another tribe other than smelly orcs :P

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2013, 15:49:08 »

Altario, then there is just the questions of the elves left? Languagewise - maybe you need to explain in the text itself a bit from what you told me, could be even an extra paragraph.

Azhira, what is relatively short? ;)

Edit:
As a result the migration routes of the Grey Elves lie roughly between the Gulf of Glandor and the Sea of Tears. Rarely in their history have they reached the Icelands. There is one recorded incident of them visiting this frozen world, out of sheer curiosity, but the tribe tells that it cost them very dearly, as they were still migrating southward through the center heartlands of Northern Sarvonia when the winter fell and they suffered many deaths from cold, being to weak to see off attacks from Rohm-Oc. They have also travelled the peninsula of Kru'ul extensivly.

Maybe you could do something with this part. Blow it up a bit.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 15:56:01 by Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2013, 15:09:06 »

Talia, can you show me where the Evathonrhim are considered mythical?  I did a site search in the Compendium, coming up with 8 entries mentioning them.  In those 8 entries, I did not see any mention of them being "mythical".  Reclusive, yes.  But the Ardol Weasel entry even has a researcher living with them  "The compilation of information on the blue-tongue subspecies of Ardol is attributed to Bartholem Stone, who saw the animal many times during his interactions with the Evathonrhim elves of the Contamar Forest."

So, this being the case, can I go back to my original premise of my Rangers having interaction with them?  The intermarriage component can be kept small, a rarity.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2013, 05:45:39 »

Don't have the time to do a proper search right now, maybe it was only my impression of what I read about them and the forest. I meant mystical, not mythical. (Almost as mysterious as the forest itself the Evathonrhim are an enigma yet to be understood. )

Look at the forest as I mentioned above already

I had their mentioning in the entry about the forest in mind:
http://www.santharia.com/places/contamar_forest.htm#People
Very few other people have even visited, let alone lived in this land, and as such there is nothing about this forest that has been affected by anyone but the Evathonrhim, and perhaps the Gods.

'IF only very few have even visited', then they are for most of the population who lives hundreds of strals away  probably mystical. Don't forget the  hostile environment  where travelling is not easy. I don't know, if you can base one third of your language on theirs. For me they are a strange and very remote and secluded living elven tribe. Would they (being elves) be interested in your people? Do elves mix easily with humans? I can't remember another another example (maybe Nybelmar)

But it is up to you Alt, if you prefer to change it. I don't mind.  heart

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2014, 02:10:47 »

Ok. :D

I have made the elves the Arthyrn from Eight Winds Bay, because the Antislar trade heavily with them.  I downplayed the amount of Elf/Antislar Unions and made the Ice Elf contribution very rare.

Edits made in Champagne.

Talia, I warn you that I am running out of coulors to make future edits. :P

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2014, 06:22:26 »

Dear Altario, do you have such a limited palette of colours? You have my sympathy!  hug   buck

Well, after reading the parts with this strange colour I think I'll give you the ok for what you have right now! ( Otherwise these people never get done!)  grin

Btw, I saw this weekend, that you had continued our SWIV story and I hadn't noticed.... sorry! I feel very much drawn to continue, just not right now. I do not feel very 'winterly', it is so warm over here. I want some more snow!

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2014, 08:43:54 »

Yippeeeee, I passed. :D

Thank you, Talia.

Our winter has been very cold, and very snowy, and extremely wintery. :P  I'm very much living in the Icelands this winter.

The New SW IV is a new episode of the story and takes place much further south (Salsair.. who knew?) and a few years later after the events of our episode.  Should you decide to post there once more, it will be waiting.

Speaking of Salsair, there will be fresh meat for you to chew up by the end of this weekend.  I'm feeling very inspired this weekend.  I've done more development writing in this one weekend than I have in the last three years combined. :D

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.