Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Exorcism?  (Read 4468 times)
Roy Tmofl

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 25 January 2014, 05:04:58 »

Well, I have been trying to find something worthwhile to bring to the development board for some time now, and while I have tried but discarded many ideas. As I was looking through Demonology magic I saw that the concept of how they are summoned had been pretty well developed. But what I did not see, and perhaps this is my own fault for not looking deep enough, is descriptions or rituals of how they are banished or deterred. Now I was thinking it would certainly be possible for that to be done with demonology, but I was also wondering if it wouldn't be a different thing altogether? Hence the title of this topic. What I would love to do is either, help to develop demonology rituals designed to return demons back to where they came from, or perhaps if this would fit better under a different category altogether try my hand at helping to develop this category.

I am aware of the very strict restrictions on new magic systems so if this is denied rather quickly I will completely understand :)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2014, 17:29:18 »

Well, Roy, let's see what we have in this regard on the site: Demons in general are summoned from the Netherworlds as you can read e.g. in the Demons entry:

Demons are able to leave the Netherworlds (see Territory) and to intrude into Caelereth's reality - mostly through the summoning by potent mages, but in scarce cases due to their own abilities and powers as well. As far as is known, they can generally stay here on Caelereth only for a limited time, depending on the magical powers of the summoning mage. The fabric of space and time is weakened at the point, where a Demon was summoned. This can have the effect, that a powerful Demon like one of the Demon Lords can enter Caelereth, where he couldn't before. However, this is only possible for a short amount of time, for the "weakness" of this point vanishes with the time. If this is the work of the weavers, a mythical group of mages with power capable of weaving strands of raw magic, or if this is a natural way of nature to repair itself is not known.]Demons are able to leave the Netherworlds (see Territory) and to intrude into Caelereth's reality - mostly through the summoning by potent mages, but in scarce cases due to their own abilities and powers as well. As far as is known, they can generally stay here on Caelereth only for a limited time, depending on the magical powers of the summoning mage. The fabric of space and time is weakened at the point, where a Demon was summoned. This can have the effect, that a powerful Demon like one of the Demon Lords can enter Caelereth, where he couldn't before. However, this is only possible for a short amount of time, for the "weakness" of this point vanishes with the time. If this is the work of the weavers, a mythical group of mages with power capable of weaving strands of raw magic, or if this is a natural way of nature to repair itself is not known.

Technically speaking, in Ximaxian terminology, this is an Ecuá procedure, even though the entry on Demonology Rituals and Rites doesn't mention this, but the principle is the same: A mage establishes a spiritual connection to a Netherworld being and temporarily severs the connection the demon has with the Netherworld, thus summoning it to the caster's world. An example of such an Ecuá Spell is e.g. the Summon Chasm Demon entry.

Now, as for undoing the whole thing: As already mentioned in the quote above demons can be summoned only a limited amount of time, so they will disappear again when the power of the incantation dwindles.

Of course "exorcism" as such would be a more active destruction of the ties that hold a demon on Caelereth. And it would also most likely be a Ecuá spell, along the lines of Despirit or Unbeing in Ximaxian terms. Of course there could also be an entry written as a counterpart to Demonology Rituals and Rites, which covers the summoning, dealing with Exorcism. There you'd need to focus on how it might be possible to weaken the ties that enable the demon to exist on Caelereth and finish the process of with an Ecuá procedure. Exorcism might refer to physical demons, but also spiritual ones, e.g. possessions, so there'd be different approaches on how to get rid of such demons.

So yeah, along these lines you'd need to think when dealing with exorcism. Entries could be written in this regard, sure. Could be an Exorcism entry, various Ecuá spells, lots of possibilities there.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2014, 03:45:54 »

Thank you very much Artimidor for your response  :) I'd be very happy to try my hand at writing up a counter part to demonology rituals and rites. Which I should be able to do relatively soon. However, I'm not so sure that I'll be very good at writing out the specifics of Ecua magic, though I will certainly try my best to do so. I very much look forward to finally taking my first steps in the developing side of this wonderful world.

Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2014, 07:30:15 »

Made some good progress on my exorcism entries :) Sorry for the delay by the way, school has kept me quite busy as of late. But I think I should be able to get them up very soon.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2014, 04:28:57 »

No problem, Roy :) Looking forward to your entries though!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2014, 07:41:13 »

About that, I had made up to four pages of writting and unfortunately whilst in the middle of it my computer died, and none of it saved  cry this happened just yesterday, but don't worry, I still intend to put it up within a few days :) I'll just work a little bit faster on it this time.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2014, 05:44:16 »

Hmmm... When will you guys ever learn to save regularly?  hammer  cool

Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2014, 06:46:50 »

Haha, I will definitely need to do that from now on :)
Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2014, 14:19:07 »

Alright, I'm back from a small retreat that I have been on, and I shall get back to work on getting these exorcism rituals up and running :) Sorry for the delay.
Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2014, 23:42:25 »

So, this is going to be absolutely, grossly late. My apologies  buck But I'll start working on it again. Though I'll probably change the name from exorcism rituals to banishment rituals for the sake of small details. Exorcism actually meaning, "deep prayer" technically, Xiamaxian banishment ritual sounds a little better and is more accurate anyhow. But ya, so sorry for this delay.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2014, 06:00:27 »

Welcome back then, Roy - and back to work! *hehe* grin

Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2014, 15:53:29 »

Xiamaxian Banishment Ritual, entry one. Author Roy Tmofl, Compiled by the studious Mage of the Ecua arch school in Xiamax. Fraimach Dur’err.

Opening

When I met that man who would later become the author of these works I had never even considered knowledge on this subject worthwhile, much less worthy of a book. But just his sheer passion had inspired me, even if I never were to need these rituals, and even if I no one read them after I write this. It would still be worth my time in writing, If only so that passion was not lost from the world, though he was so young he had spent so much, so much of everything he had for this one sole purpose. I dare not let it be wasted.

Roy himself was not interested in writing a book, at least none that he would leave here. He did leave with a humble black book, that I imagine was filled only with the most intense of magical theorem. But I was blessed with the chance to record what he had discovered, from there I made it a point to create this text with the intent of first getting one ready to understand Roy's profound teachings on the matter. As he really wasn't one for holding back, he only spoke of the intense expert theories that he had come to know and understand through years of study and research. My additions to his works will be mainly explanations, and covering the things which lead up to the culmination of all Roy's efforts. More of a "Bottom to the top" approach

Chapter one; understanding how demonic creatures enter the world, and understanding how we can make them leave. (Xiamaxian perspective.)

While there are other forms of magic in the world capable of drawing these creatures into the Caelereth, like clerics for example, the method that shall be explained here is the Xiamaxian, namely Ecua.

To quote our main author.

“These demons, cannot come in to our world on their own. That door is locked. As it should stay. But it does not. Someone on this side,  can if they wish, though foolish they are. Unlock this door. One might assume that the door between any two worlds is quite hard to find. They are correct. Fair warning, the easy analogies stop here. Let us hope you have an understanding of Xeua links.

Xeua, is the link between ounia, ounia gather in certain car’allia to form something solitary, but in reality. They are never truly separated from one another. They are merely so passive, so silent, and ahm. That the presence of a demon in the nether does not affect a farmer in Caelereth, but I tell you, they are still connected. Even if silently, unknowingly. When a mage summons a demon, they travel these dusty corridors of magic, and as they wander down these nearly imperceptible roads, they might just find that place, where these dark creatures lie, like the man who follows a string that he has tied at the beginning of a maze to find his way back out. “

Here  I would like to interject and explain what Roy means by solitary yet connected. Let’s look at a rock, this rock is made up all of little tiny bits of rock come together to make one right? It is identified separate from the rock next to it, the grass below it, and a man 2 thousand leagues away. But yet, is not the air touching that rock? And the one next to it? The grass underneath it? Even if it was picked up and no longer touching it itself? Is it not touching that man 2 thousand leagues away to? Through this air, while not as substantial as cord maybe, these things are all connected, though their actions do not effect one another unless that connection becomes greater, Ie. That man picks up the rock, or etc.
Ounia are like this, even as they come to together to form that one solitary body, a car’all, (that rock) through their Xeua links which connect with all those around them they are still in some way connected, as fantastic as this may sound, to everything else in the world as we know it. Now, I’ll continue with the quote.

“Through this links he finds the demon, and leads them to Caelereth. The Ecua mage at this point technically speaking, weakens the links that tie the demon to their own world, the nether. Breaking these bonds as powerfully as he chooses to try. The more powerful the break the longer his spell lasts, the less connection his fiend will retain to the nether. It is seemingly so, that once this is done, the demon enters Caelereth, like a boat swept way by the winds of a hurricane after it’s anchor breaks.”

This, is very simply how a demon comes to Caelereth. It is not exact, nor is this enough knowledge to go off of if your preparing for a summoning ritual yourself. Of which, you would be wise not to. Not only as a student of Xiamaxian magic, but merely as one who should want to keep their bodies in relatively one piece. This knowledge is merely the bare minimum you need to understand of their summoning, in order to understand their banishment.

One principal which Roy did not stress, but which he was very familiar with; was the principle of conservation of voice. Which is in short, the theory that when one Xeua link is weakened, another is strengthened. It is almost like a balancing attempt by the world itself. So presumably, if we were to accept the conservation of voice as true, then while weakening the demons links to the nether. It in fact, strengthens its ties to Caelereth. Which would explain to us, why the demon is drawn specifically to our world, rather than merely anywhere but the nether. Note however, this is possibly not an assured thing! The conservation of voice might require very skilled, possibly prodigious magi to make this effect come about. As not only would he need to weaken the ties that the nether beast has, but do it in such a way that it would strengthen it’s ties specifically to Caelereth.

Then assumedly, it takes a mage of considerably skill to work in the opposite manner of this. To be short, a prodigious mage, would find his ability to banish a demon from Caelereth and negate a summoning ritual, by weakening the those links that tie it to our world, and in turn, strengthening it’s old ties to its former world. Thus actively undoing and attacking the spell of the original magi.

That is of course, grossly simplified. As the mage your trying to thwart may try to fight you, the demon itself might posses magical talent, and of course, not only would one need to understand Ecua magic, and more likely than not the conservation of voice, but also accomplish this intense magical feat, whilst avoiding being ripped to pieces by the hideous creature you find yourself confronted with.

We finish chapter one with the basics down. In the next chapter we will focus purely on the rituals themselves, and what to do against different types of demons. These demons consisting of the common beastly ones, the spiritual ones that have been able to latch on to a person, and use them as their host, as well as more still to come.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welp, this is my first attempt at writing something on the dev board, maybe I shouldn't have started with intense Ecua magic  rolleyes but ah well. This is supposed to kind of sound like a book written from the perspective of an Ecua mage in the Academy at Xiamax, who came across a Roy Tmofl (A name that is easily replaceable with any depending on what time period it would be best to say these rituals came about.) A mage obsessed with demons, and compelled by a hatred of them so intense he dedicated his life to devising these rituals, this is the first part which is designed to be like an introduction to the rituals, chapter one if you will. There will be more to come and I intend to compile them if I'm on the right track in to to one larger "book" Which will hopefully find its way to the dear old shelves in library at Xiamax eh?

Any feed back you'd like t o give in the meantime is welcome, and I will admit that I probably need a good deal of it.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2014, 23:44:15 by Roy Tmofl » Logged
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2014, 16:27:59 »

Ok, let's have a closer look here.... First of all: If this is meant as a text to go primarily into the Library rather than into the Magic section (this would require following a section-based entry pattern), it should be treated as a Library entry. Which means:

- We need a book title
- and a short summary/introduction summarizing what the text is all about

Second, as you say yourself that the name "Roy Tmofl" is not set in  stone, I would indeed suggest to change it, because "Roy" sounds very modern and not particularly Santharian. Have a look at the Tribal Nomenclature thread where you can find some ideas on how to make a proper Santharian name.

Another thing: It's Ximax, not Xiamax as you've used it all the way through your text...

Ok, now to a detailed check of what we have for now:

Yelllow ... corrections
Orange ... suggestions/comments
Grey ... unclear

Opening

When I met that man who would later become the author of these works I had never even considered knowledge on this subject worthwhile, much less worthy of a book. But just his sheer passion had inspired me, even if I never were to need these rituals, and even if I no one will read them after I write this. It would still be worth my time in writing, if only so that passion was not lost from the world, as that man was so young and he had spent already so much, so much of everything he had for this one sole purpose. I dare not let it be wasted.

Roy himself was not interested in writing a book, at least none that he would leave here. He did leave with a humble black book, that I imagine was filled only with the most intense of magical theorems. But I was blessed with the chance to record what he had discovered, from there I made it a point to create this text with the intent of first getting one ready to understand Roy's profound teachings on the matter. As he really wasn't one for holding back, he only spoke of the intense expert theories that he had come to know and understand through years of study and research. My additions to his works will be mainly explanations, and covering the things which lead up to the culmination of all of Roy's efforts. More of a "bottom to the top" approach.

(Note: While you explain in your sentences at the end (which aren't part of the text) that Roy is an Ecua mage, this isn't mention here at all. You should try to make perfectly clear who he his right from the start. And also clarify who is actually writing this text then if it isn't Roy, if he's also a mage etc.)

Chapter One: Understanding how demonic creatures enter the world, and understanding how we can make them leave. (Ximaxian perspective.)

While there are other forms of magic in the world capable of drawing these creatures into our world we know as Caelereth, like clerics for example, the method that shall be explained here is the Ximaxian, namely the Ecua approach.

To quote our main author:

"These demons, cannot come into our world on their own. That door is locked. As it should stay. But it does not. Someone on this side can open it if they so wish, though foolish they are if they unlock this door. One might also assume that the door between any two worlds is quite hard to find. They are correct. Fair warning, the easy analogies stop here. Let us hope you have an understanding of Xeua links.

Xeua, as the Ximaxian mages define it, is the link between ounia (existential nodes on elemental basis), ounia gather in certain car’allia (magical aura) to form something solitary, an entity, a reality that stands on its own. Ounia are never truly separated from one another. They are merely so passive, so silent, and ahm as the Ximaxian mage refers to it. In the same cosmic sense one can assume that the presence of a demon in the Netherworlds does not affect a farmer in Caelereth, but I tell you, they are still connected. Even if silently, unknowingly. When a mage summons a demon, what he does in his mind is to travel these dusty corridors of magic, and as they wander down these nearly imperceptible roads, they might just find that place, where these dark creatures lie, like the man who follows a string that he has tied at the beginning of a maze to find his way back out."

Here  I would like to interject and explain what Roy means by solitary yet connected. Let’s look at a rock: A rock is made up all of little tiny bits of rock that come together to make one, right? It is identified as being separate from the rock next to it, the grass below it, and a man two thousand leagues away. But yet, is not the air touching that rock? And the one next to it? The grass underneath it? Even if it were picked up and no longer touching the grass itself? Is it not touching that man two thousand leagues away to? Through the air, while not as substantial as cord maybe, these things are all connected, embedded therein, though their actions do not affect one another unless that connection becomes greater, e.g. that man picks up the rock etc.

Ounia are like this, even as they come together to form that one solitary body, a car’all, an aura, (that rock). Through their Xeua links which connect a single entity to all those other entities around them they are still in some way connected, as fantastic as this may sound, to everything else in the world as we know it. Now, I’ll continue with the quote.

"Through these links he [the mage] finds the demon, and leads it to Caelereth. The Ecua mage at this point, technically speaking, weakens the links that tie the demon to their own plain of existence, the Netherworlds. Breaking these bonds as powerfully as he chooses to try. (?) The more powerful the disruption the longer his spell, the summoning, lasts,  the less connection his fiend will retain to the nether (?). It is seemingly so, that once this is done, the demon enters Caelereth, like a boat swept way by the winds of a hurricane after its anchor has broken loose."

This, is very simply how a demon comes to Caelereth. It is not exact, nor is this enough knowledge to go off if you planning to prepare a summoning ritual yourself. However, you would be wise not to try. Not only as a student of Ximaxian magic, but merely as one who should want to keep their bodies in relatively one piece. The knowledge just presented is only the bare minimum you need to understand of the summoning of demons, and the bare minimum in order to get an idea of their banishment.

One principle which Roy did not stress, but which he was very familiar with was the principle of Conservation of Voice. Which is, in short, the theory that when one Xeua link is weakened, another is strengthened. It is almost like a balancing attempt by the world itself. So presumably, if we were to accept the Conservation of Voice as true, then while weakening the demon links to the Netherworlds, it in fact strengthens its ties to Caelereth, in case there exist such a direct link. Which would explain to us why the demon is drawn specifically to our world, rather than merely anywhere but the Netherworlds. Note however, this is possibly not an assured thing! The Conservation of Voice might require very skilled, possibly prodigious magi to make this effect come about. As not only would a mage need to weaken the ties that the beast of the Netheworlds has, but do it in such a way that it would strengthen its ties specifically to Caelereth.

Then assumedly, it takes a mage of considerable skill to work in the opposite manner of this. To be short, a prodigious mage would find his ability to banish a demon from Caelereth and negate a summoning ritual by weakening those links that tie it to our world. In turn he would be strengthening its old ties to its former world, thus actively undoing and attacking the spell of the original magi (?).

That is of course, grossly simplified. As the mage your trying to thwart may try to fight you, the demon itself might posses magical talent, and of course, not only would one need to understand Ecua magic, and more likely than not the conservation of voice, but also accomplish this intense magical feat, whilst avoiding being ripped to pieces by the hideous creature you find yourself confronted with. (? Too complicated run-on-sentence, also don't get the beginning of it at all.)

We finish chapter one with the basics down. In the next chapter we will focus purely on the rituals themselves, and what to do against different types of demons. These demons include the common beastly ones, the spiritual ones that are able to latch on to a person, and use them as their host, and there will be even other, more complex types still to come.

Okeydokey, so I'm through with what we have here as of yet. Looks ok, even though some passages are still quite unclear, and I've marked them accordingly. You get an aura +1 for getting this one going, Roy, let's see how it will continue!  thumbup

Roy Tmofl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2014, 00:53:30 »

Thank you kindly :) Sorry to make you do all of those corrections however, though I do appreciate the effort, and I will make sure to fix those up soon as I can.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.