Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dracoroot  (Read 1756 times)
Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 10 December 2014, 13:54:24 »

Category: Edible Plants, Spices & Flavouring

Overview:
The Dracoroot is an extraordinary plant, apparently absorbing the warmth and sunlight during the hot season and allowing it to trickle from its roots during the harsh winter of the far northern lands, keeping small patches of the ground from freezing and thus allowing other plants to live through the merciless cold. It is also a delicious spice, prepared in many dishes, sweet or not, used in teas as a medicinal preparation and rumoured to be used in the elaboration of a powerful healing potion by the Ulvur.

Description:
The Dracoroot is, like the Gunthreed, a plant with a bulbous root, but unlike the Gunthreed the root of the Dracoroot spreads over larger areas, with bulbs connected by tubular roots and stalks growing from these bulbs every few palmspans. The largest Dracoroot found occupied an area of approximately two peds and one fore in diameter, however it is unknown if this is the superior limit, or if moving one to the warmer southern lands would yield even bigger plants.

The stalks can grow up to two fores and a few nailsbreaths in height, with long leaves of vibrant yellow-green hues, and during the hottest time of the year, it develops a cluster of white, red, yellow or orange buds at the tip of the stalks that blossom into beautiful flowers, with a subtle sweet and spicy scent that lures birds and butterflies, making it a very appealing plant to keep in gardens.

The plant takes between two or three years to reach its full size and start flowering. Any bulb can be used to grow a whole new plant, but cutting and planting bulbs is only done early in spring, to give it as much time as possible to take in the sunlight and warmth it needs.

Territory:
The tundra of Cyhalloi, the Icelands and Akdor are the original territories where this plant is found, growing nearby the rivers and in open, humid fields. While it can be grown in the mountains, the rocky soil makes it hard for this plant to achieve its full growth and often makes it weak and sickly, drastically reducing its size and lifespan.

There is currently an attempt at growing a few specimens in New-Santhala, to better understand how well this plant develops in far more favourable conditions, with expectation that, like some other plants of the cold regions, it grows exceptionally large and healthy.

Usage:
The root produces a fragrant kitchen spice, with the younger roots being better since they are fleshy, rich in the yellowish juice that warms whatever it touches and adds a very spicy taste to any dish should it be added in quantities larger than a few drops.

Boiled in water, the root and flowers produce a sweet and spicy tea, often sweetened even further with honey. This tea is said to cure colds and alleviate the pain in the articulations, as well as nausea and seasickness.

With other spices and honey it is used to brew an ale, said to be capable of keeping one warm throughout the chilly days of the tundra.

Stories say that the Ulvur use this plant to spice their meals, scalding and grounding the roots of recently dead plants down to a powder. It is also said that with this plant and a moss only known to the wolf-kin, a powerful potion can be brewed that heals most any wound, however we do firmly believe this to be an exaggeration or part of folklore, as the moss has yet to be found, and would this be true, the Ulvur wouldn't have as many casualties due to battle wounds as they are said to have.

Reproduction:
The plant can reproduce in two ways: The first, already mentioned once, consists of cutting a bulb and planting it on another patch of soil, but this method can only be done during the first couple of weeks of the spring, as the plant needs all the sunlight and heat available to grow during the warm season.

The other is, also already mentioned, a cluster of flowers, which grow at the top of the stalks during the hottest months of the year, serving often as an indicator of when the best days are coming as it starts budding just weeks before.

The flower cluster evolves through the warm season into a round, dry pod and produces a soft, featherlike tissue that keeps the seeds warm through the winter. Come the spring, these pods crack open, and let the seeds fly with the winds or fall into the water, traveling down rivers until they reach some soil.

Myths/Facts:
The Dracoroot is said to be born from the tears of a powerful and ancient dragon, preserving some of the magical qualities of its creator, such as absorbing and keeping the heat and sunlight. Truth is, while not very well understood, it is known that the juice stored at the roots during the hot season somehow manages to freeze at lower temperatures than water, and the plant sweats this juice through its roots during winter, preventing the water from freezing around it.

Ximaxian scholars believe that this plant possesses a natural way to fix fire ounía to the ground through its juice, and thus the juice can be seen as a carrier of fire ounía, extremely useful in potions and alchemy.

It is also because of this belief that we can consider possible the creation of a healing potion using this root, but the process is still a mystery due to the insufficient study of this plant in the past.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2015, 14:56:16 by Valko » Logged
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2014, 00:02:06 »

Welcome back.  wave  This is quite an interesting idea. 

during the harsh winter of the Icelands
Its range covers more than just the Icelands, so maybe something like "the far northern lands" would be better? 

and rumored to be used in medicinal preparations by the Ulvur.
I know this is probably referring to the potion the Ulvur are said to make, but the tea mentioned in the Usage section probably counts as a medical preparation too. 

The Dracoroot is, like the Gunthreed, a plant with a bulbous root, however unlike the Gunthreed the root of the Dracoroot spreads over large areas with tree-like formations, with stalks growing from it every few palmspans. The largest Dracoroot found occupied an area of approximately two fores in diameter, however it is unknown if this is the superior limit, or if moving one to the warmer southern lands would yield even bigger plants.
2 fores is a much smaller area than implied by "spreads over large areas with tree-like formations, with stalks growing from it every few palmspans". I'm also not quite sure what the root looks like.  You mention "a bulbous root", but also a tree-like formation.  I'm guessing smaller roots branch out from a central bulb or something like that? 

however unlike the Gunthreed
"But" is probably more appropriate here. 

The stalks can grow up to a Ped and a few palmspans in height
I'm not sure, but I think this is pretty tall for a tundra plant.  Not saying you have to change it, but it's something to be aware of.  Is this intentional? 

The plant takes about two or three years to grow,
This is a little unclear to me.  Do you mean 2 to 3 years to reach its full size? 

making it able only to spread through this way just after the winter is over.
This is a bit of a run-on sentence.  It might be better to break it off into its own sentence.  Maybe something like "Because of that, this is usually only done early in spring, to give it as much time as possible to take in the sunlight and warmth it needs."

like other plants of the cold regions
I think maybe adding a "some" to this would be better.  As it is, it implies that all plants from the cold regions grow exceptionally well in warmer climates, which might not be the case. 

the Ulvur wouldn't have so many casualties due to battle wounds.
I don't know if things have changed due to the recent work on Cyhalloi, but if I remember correctly, the Ulvur are supposed to be semi-mythical beings mostly known through stories and folklore.  This sounds too much like a statement of fact.  Maybe the las bit could be changed to "as many casualties due to battle wounds as they are said to have"? 

The other is, also already mentioned, a cluster of flowers, which grow at the top of the stalks during the hottest months of the year, serving often as an indicator of when the best days are coming as it starts budding just weeks before.
Flowers doesn't really say much though.  How are the seeds distributed?  Wind seems pretty likely for a tundra environment, but other methods could probably work too.  When do the seeds germinate?  The next spring? 

however the how to is still not sufficiently studied.
I think this should probably be a separate sentence.  If you want to keep it part of the same sentence, the "however" should probably be changed to "but". 

Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2014, 01:13:02 »

Thanks you very much Mina, I added and fixed your observations, and am wondering if I should expand on the myth of the plant or if perhaps it's better left open for someone else to develop.
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2014, 11:57:27 »

Any bulb can be used to grow a whole new plant, because of that, cutting and planting bulbs is usually only done early in spring, to give it as much time as possible to take in the sunlight and warmth it needs.
Hmm, you've cut a bit too much, so "because of that" no longer makes sense.  Maybe change it to "but"? 

such as absorbing and keeping the heath and sunlight.
That should probably be "heat", not "heath". 

Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2014, 16:06:27 »

Both fixed, thanks once more Mina.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2014, 23:04:55 »

Nice first entry after your long hiatus, Orr... err... Valko :)

Guess it's all there already and Mina also helped you to fix a few things. Note that you usually mark changed with another color, so that we actually see what's different compare to the prior version. Anyway, next time then.

Just a few minor things to add:

- You've put the plant under Spices, but methinks its alaos a Medicinal Herb, so we can add it in both categories.

- We used British spelling in general, which looks more medieval. Words to fix would be "rumored" --> "rumoured", "favorable" --> "favourable"

Definitely a solid entry and helpful contribution, which earns you an aura +1 - hoping for more to come!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2014, 16:38:25 »

Thanks Arti, I'm glad to be back  grin

The plant could go in both categories yeah, I just didn't know for sure how to denote that.

As for the spelling, just to be sure, the rule is that "or" is spelled "our"? Nothing else?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2014, 16:47:08 »

Yes, it's basically the "o"/"ou" thingy, can't think of anything else really...  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2014, 19:12:17 »

elabouration
I think it's "elaboration" in British spelling too. 

There are actually more differences between British and American spellings than the occasional extra "u", but I don't think any of those words appear in this entry. 

The first, already mentioned once, consist on
"Consists of"

planting it on another patch of soil, but this method can only be done

Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2015, 14:58:36 »

Sorry for the delay, the holidays happened but I'm back and I've fixed what Mina kindly pointed out. By the way, happy new year everyone  grin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.