Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Modifications to the Avennorian Entry  (Read 3180 times)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 04 February 2015, 13:37:19 »

Here's the entry modified to refer exclusively to the tribe instead of the kingdom.

Diet-
                The Avennorian Diet is composed primarily of seafood, particularly yellowtail and oyster for the common folk and malkut king fish for the more wealthy, although most of those who can afford a king fish can also afford to import meats from the neighbouring province of Sanguia, among other imported goods, which are usually considered more high class in Avennorian society. It should be mentioned, however, that there is some small scale farming within Manthria, the biggest being the Twynor farmsteadings. A staple of all Avennorian diets is flysh seaweed, which is used as a base for many Avennorian dishes or is baked into a bread. Another traditional import among the Avennorian people are the products of Eyelian agriculture, as they serve as a refreshing change to the monotony of seafood that is so common in Avennorian culture.

Occupations-
                Traditionally, Avennorians are primarily fishermen, pearl divers, whalers, and merchants, though of course all of the miscellaneous jobs for each town are, and have always been, available (blacksmiths, jewellers, etc.)

Fishers and Whalers-
                These are the biggest industries of the province of Manthria, though that doesn't mean that they are its best paying ones. Whaling is slightly better paid, as whale products are Manthria's largest export, though it is still considered a commoner's job. Fishing and whaling employ a large portion of working class Avennorians, who have colloquially titled themselves "Harvesters of Baveras' Bounty". The people in these jobs make up the backbone of the flourishing Avennorian economy, a fact which they never cease to pride themselves in.

Pearl Divers-
               Pearls were one of the kingdom of Avennoria's most famous products, and today one of Manthria's most sought-after goods.. Merchants from all over Sarvonia come to the port of Ciosa or the city of Marcogg to trade for high quality Avennorian pearls. Pearl divers are the ones behind this large sphere of influence held by Avennorian traders. It was originally through trade of pearls that Avennorian cities became the bustling hubs of trade they are today. Pearl divers themselves are more respected than fishermen and whalers, particularly those who are able to close their ears to enhance their skills.

Merchants-
                Merchants are the smallest, but most influential, group among the Avennorians. They are the cause of the image of Avennorians as a whole being that of wealthy and powerful, albeit somewhat ruthless, traders. For an Avennorian, being a merchant means doing what you need to do to get to the top. Though they make up only a small portion of their society, they regard themselves as being superior to all the social classes below them, to the point of considering themselves above the law and/or their own human morality, or at least that's how the rest of their society views them. When one of them was asked about how they felt about this representation of them by the author, they laughed and said that the masses were "naught but jealous swine who believe they should be treated as human."

Government-
                Prior to joining the United Kingdom of Santharia, Avennoria was ruled by an aristocracy where the person with the most wealth usually became king. Because this requires the king to remain the wealthiest over the course of their rule, it was not impossible for the king to get overthrown purely on the basis of temporary shortages in his/her flow of income. However, it was also not a frequent event, so most of the time, the king could simply pass his/her wealth onto the next generation in his line without trouble, sometimes for four or five generations in a row.
                Due to this form of government not requiring any leadership skills to become king, kings were, more often than not, much better businessmen then they were governors. This usually led to lots of back door dealings, including, but most definitely not limited to, buying government jobs, using parts of -and in some cases - the entire - kingdom as collateral, passing laws for the highest bidder, and, in one circumstance, renting out the position of king for a "small" fee to those who were willing to keep their mouths shut on matters that were never disclosed, even to this day.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2015, 23:42:53 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2015, 18:48:16 »

Ok, here's one basic and important thing you have to take into account with this entry, Doomy: It's an entry on the Avennorians, which is a human tribe. The formerly lived in a kingdom known as Avennoria, which is non-existent now. Members of this tribe still live on under the name of "Avennorians", and they primarily live in the Santharian province of Manthria. So the entry is about the Avennorians as a tribe, independent from the former kingdom.

Here's the current provinces map: Provinces
The ancient kingdom map looks like this: Ancient Kingdoms

Consequence: You shouldn't mix up kingdom and tribe or it gets confusing. This also refers to how you handle geographical details. This is very apparent in the first paragraph already. For example you refer to the "neighbouring province of Serpheloria", while in fact Serpheloria was an ancient kingdom, and there's no such province. And as you go on you speak about "Avennoria", which isn't there anymore. Avennorians still are. The entry on site is written with that in mind, so make sure to take that in consideration and adjust things accordingly.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2015, 12:00:45 »

Wow, that's a pretty big oversight on my part...   :P
Well, I'll go revise this with that in mind. Hopefully most of what I wrote didn't rely too much on Ancient Kingdom geography and trade.
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2015, 13:29:58 »

Ok, that should have fixed everything up. Tell me if you notice anything, but I think that the only places Avennoria is referenced is when I specify that it's an ancient kingdom or in the government section, where that's what I was discussing anyway.

Note to self: look before you leap next time Bad Idea
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2015, 04:59:13 »

Okdeydokey, some comments, Doomy:

- In general you don't need to keep the things you stroke through as part of the text. Because usually I grab the text as it is from here when I integrate it and  paste it into a text editor, which gets rid of all the format stuff going on in the Forum post (this includes text that has been stricken through). And from there I then copy it into my HTML editor. For some reason that's usually the most efficient way to do it. To make a long story short: It's better not to have text in there that is stricken through... ;)

Things to fix:
corrections in yellow
comments in orange

Traditionally, Avennorians are primarily fishermen...

though it is still considered a commoner's job

Pearls were one of the kingdom of Avennoria's most famous products, and they still are today one of Manthria's most sought-after goods.

Avennoria was ruled by an aristocracy where the person with the most wealth usually became king (automatically is a bit weird, as this would mean this could constantly change)

kings were, more often than not

using parts of - and in some cases - the entire-kingdom as collateral,

Looks good all in all now with the adjustments, and another aura +1 well deserved!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2015, 09:33:55 »

Ok, that should have fixed everything. evil
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.