Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Faerhorál, Demon Lord of Fire  (Read 3143 times)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 20 February 2015, 13:39:22 »

Overview.
Faerhorál is one of the six Demon Lords, who supposedly originated and are perhaps even controlled by Coór, representing mockeries of the Gods. His purpose is to twist the element of Fire, so he is master of all things irrational and rash, not to mention the element of Fire itself.

Appearance.
Like all other Demon Lords, Faerhorál may appear in many shapes. His main form, while described differently depending on who you ask, is usually a being that seems to be made entirely or to a large degree of fire. In a plethora of mythical texts he is often referred to as a creature wearing armour over his "front" side, including his "face", which is shaped like that of a skull and has two horns protruding directly from above where his ears should be. In one of the most famous depictions by an ancient Caltharian artist we see a battleaxe attached to his right arm, though it is unknown what its use might be to such a great beast, given the fact that its fiery body is a weapon in itself. By some accounts Faerhorál also has a pair of leathery wings that have a wingspan of at least 40 peds, judging by some vivid descriptions and ancient art. No one has ever been able to tell exactly where these wings attach of course, whether to his "body" or his armour - though in the face of such a terrifying creature, can anyone really blame the few who have survived an encounter with him from any range for turning tail and running immediately?

Aside from his main form, Faerhorál other transformations include a fire dragon for power, a tager bird-lizard for inconspicuous flight, and a mhorashty for communication with - and manipulation of - mortals.

Special Abilities.
A Demon Lord like Faerhorál has a huge arsenal of abilities, and while his existence might be entirely mythical, the many sources that reference him provide this the creature with a lot of extraordinary and unique attributes. To start with, he is physically massive, many times larger than any human. Additionally, very little can harm him because he is made of fire, so most weapons just pass right through him. His irregular body composition has several other advantages as well, such as being able to split it off into a legion of Fire elementals. He has great control over all fire, being able to, in theory, cast all fire spells with ease. However, he usually prefers to annihilate his opponents by way of a violent maelstrom rather than with a more precise method, say, by using Grip of the Malefic.

Faerhorál is also fabled to be able to assimilate any outside fire into himself, though with his enormous size and the naturally inconsistent size and shape of fire, this has never been confirmed.

He can, like all of his brethren, use ecuá magic, though his usage of it is exceedingly rare: he will only use it as a last resort against those completely resistant to all fire, and even then, rather sparingly.

While he is supposedly incorporeal in the Netherworlds, Faerhorál is incredibly weak, at least compared to the other Demon Lords. He can, at most, summon a small fireball, maybe to start a localized forest fire, but he can't use any of his more catastrophic abilities. It is said in some areas that whenever a candle flickers, it is Faerhorál attempting to manifest himself through the fire into this world.

History/Origins.
Like the rest of the Demon Lords, it is said that Faerhorál was formed from the Darkwinds to distort the will of the Gods. More specifically, he bends the element of Fire. He changes Armeros' honourable battles into massacres where everyone, no matter how fit to survive and win, dies; and changes the power of fires from guides as Foiros intended into blockades, preventing any passage of any kind. An alternate, and admittedly older, myth states that he was born from the destruction that was caused when Foiros created the ball of fire that would later become the sun.

Faerhorál is really summoned on purpose, though if a powerful enough door to the Netherworlds is opened close enough to large amounts of wanton destruction, it is said that he may just be dragged through by accident. He is nearly impossible to control once summoned, though it can be done with enough power. Some demonologists like the idiosyncratic Waudrin Ghortz say that the key to controlling him isn't having vast power, but in fact being able to make yourself imperceptible to the Demon Lord through the use of Ecuá magic, though such magic does have the downside of making him imperceptible to you as well.

Some texts describe the Demon Lord's changes of appearances in great detail: Once summoned, Faerhorál can only be classified as a force of nature, or more accurately, against it. He rips through everything in his path, melting any stone or metal within a few strals and burning anything flammable instantly. He continues this way for around a week, during which time his size gradually decreases as the energy that he is composed of begins to close in on itself. During the last day, he is only about two peds tall. Even at this size though, the area that he destroys doesn't get any smaller, he just gets more compact. At the end of his time on Caelereth he explodes, taking out everything and everyone within five leagues in a giant, gruesome fireball that appears to be as bright as the sun.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2015, 16:02:48 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2015, 07:56:54 »

Some demonologists say that the key to controlling him isn't having vast power, but in fact nullifying all power around oneself so he feels no need to destroy them. Some have classified this as suicide, saying that even attempting to nullify all the energy around someone would kill them instantly, since to nullify the aura of the air is to nullify its existence, thus suffocating themself.

Can I get some verification on this? I'm not sure I fully understand the aura/ounia

While you can probably in some way make air too thin to breathe I wouldn't consider that a thing with what you are trying to present here. The idea you are trying to present as I see is to make one's presence, both physical and spiritual, "small" and unnoticed. I would say this could probably be done through Ecuá magic in this case. An Ecuá mage could sever all connections between themselves and the demon lord, in essence making themselves appear completely gone both in body and spirit. Perception in any form is ultimately a connection between cár'allía, so by severing that connection you make perception between two beings impossible. Each is still physically there, but their links between each other are silent. That is the closest thing I can think of as regards a true nullification.

So to simplify the above, I would suggest changing that line to say that some demonologists say that key to survival is to simply be absent, and that this can be done through Ecuá magic by breaking all links between themselves and the demon lord. The negative to this is that the mage would then be unable to perceive the demon lord either, and could even forget that he summoned it at all.
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2015, 12:45:58 »

Ok then, that makes sense now. I could see that I was missing something, I just couldn't see what :P Anyway, that should fix that up. Magic is confusing... undecided
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2015, 03:43:52 »

Okeydokey, read through the whole thing and made a couple of adjustments, minor improvements here and there. Mainly to make the description a bit more relative - after all this is a mythical creature, and it's existence is not even proven. So the more relative the text, the better. :)

Here's the entry with the changes marked - if you take the yellow changes as they are you don't need to mark them in your main entry BTW. If you adjust something beyond that (see e.g. grey text) you should mark it.

Yellow ... changes
Orange ... comments
Grey ... unclear

Overview.
Faerhorál is one of the six Demon Lords, who supposedly originated and are perhaps even controlled by Coór, representing mockeries of the Gods. His purpose is to twist the element of Fire, so he his master of all things irrational and rash, not to mention the element of Fire itself.

Appearance.
Like all other Demon Lords, Faerhorál may appear in many shapes. His main form, while described differently depending on who you ask, is usually a being that seems to be made entirely or to a large degree of fire. In a plethora of mythical texts he is often referred to as a creature wearing armour over his "front" side, including his "face", which is shaped like that of a skull and has two horns protruding directly from above where his ears should be. In one of the most famous depictions by an ancient Caltharian artist we see battleaxe attached to his right arm, though it is unknown what its use might be to such a great beast, given the fact that its fiery body is a weapon in itself. By some accounts Faerhorál also has a pair of leathery wings that have a wingspan of at least 40 peds, judging by some vivid descriptions. No one has ever been able to tell exactly where these wings attach of course, whether to his "body" or his armour - though in the face of such a terrifying creature, can anyone really blame the few who have survived an encounter with him from any range for turning tail and running immediately?

Aside from his main form, Faerhorál other transformations include a fire dragon for power, a tager bird-lizard for inconspicuous flight, and a mhorashty for communication with - and manipulation of - mortals.

Special Abilities.
A Demon Lord like Faerhorál has a huge arsenal of abilities, and while his existence might be entirely mythical, the many sources that reference him provide this the creature with a lot of extraordinary and unique attributes. To start with, he is physically massive, many times larger than any human. Additionally, very little can harm him because he is made of fire, so most weapons just pass right through him. His irregular body composition has several other advantages as well, such as being able to split it off into a legion of Fire elementals. He has great control over all fire, being able to, in theory, cast all fire spells with ease. However, he usually prefers to annihilate his opponents by way of a violent maelstrom rather than with a more precise method, say, by using Grip of the Malefic.

Faerhorál is also fabled to be able to assimilate any outside fire into himself, though with his enormous size and the naturally inconsistent size and shape of fire, this has never been confirmed.

He can, like all of his brethren, use ecuá magic, though his usage of it is exceedingly rare: he will only use it as a last resort against those completely resistant to all fire, and even then, rather sparingly.

While he is supposedly incorporeal in the Netherworlds, Faerhorál is incredibly weak, at least compared to the other Demon Lords. He can, at most, summon a small fireball, maybe to start a localized forest fire, but he can't use any of his more catastrophic abilities. It is said in some areas that whenever a candle flickers, it is Faerhorál attempting to manifest himself through the fire into this world.

History/Origins.
Like the rest of the Demon Lords, it is said that Faerhorál was formed from the Darkwinds to distort the will of the Gods. More specifically, he bends the element of Fire. He changes Armeros' honourable battles into massacres where everyone, no matter how fit to survive and win, dies; and changes the power of fires from guides as Foiros intended into blockades, preventing any passage of any kind. An alternate, and admittedly older, myth states that he was born from the destruction that was caused when the ball of fire that would become the sun. (Something missing there...)

Faerhorál is really summoned on purpose, though if a powerful enough door to the Netherworlds is opened close enough to large amounts of wanton destruction, it is said that he may just be dragged through by accident. He is nearly impossible to control once summoned, though it can be done with enough power. Some demonologists like the idiosyncratic Waudrin Ghortz say that the key to controlling him isn't having vast power, but in fact being able to make yourself imperceptible to the Demon Lord through the use of Ecuá magic, though such magic does have the downside of making him imperceptible to you as well.

Some texts describe the Demon Lord's changes of appearances in great detail: Once summoned, Faerhorál can only be classified as a force of nature, or more accurately, against it. He rips through everything in his path, melting any stone or metal within a few strals and burning anything flammable instantly. He continues this way for around a week, during which time his size gradually decreases as the energy that he is composed of begins to close in on itself. During the last day, he is only about two peds tall. Even at this size though, the area that he destroys doesn't get any smaller, he just gets more compact. At the end of his time on Caelereth he explodes, taking out everything and everyone within five leagues in a giant, gruesome fireball that appears to be as bright as the sun.

Okeydokey, so aside from these small changes a nice entry, and aura +1! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2015, 14:31:00 »

Okay, thanks for the help. It seems I need to learn to be more vague in my writing huh... I'll remember that for next time. Anyway, I put in your changes and modified to sentence about the sun- it seems I forgot that sentences have a tendency to require verbs :P
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.