Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Alysse the Likely!  (Read 13329 times)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2008, 03:42:22 »

OK, a few suggestions, for what they're worth.

Hunters from the North
Ice savages
Northern Demons
Demons from the Ice
Death from the North

These are just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure theremust be plenty more in there somewhere.

BTW, in the Kh'omchr'om forum, I've just noticed that "Ar" translates as "From", so that's handy, eh?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Alysse the Likely

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2008, 04:17:12 »

Well, let's see what we can do.  I'm just making this up, these words are not all in the dictionaries

"Carad"--Kuglimz for "born" or "to be born" (made up)

"Ar"--Kh'omchr'om for "from"---this IS an actual word (thanks, Tharoc!)

"Vir" Kuglimz for "one" or "first"--also an actual word

"Jyn"--Kuglimz for "hunt", "to hunt", "hunting" (made up)

Then you could have "Carad'ar'v'jyn"  or "born from [the] First Hunter."  which over the years was twisted into "Kaaer'dar'shin".

What do you think?  Will that etymology work for you, Azhira?

Now for the Pendrowe:

"Ak'ang'ergva'pafalka" would literally translate as "false head of Pafalka" but that is rather unwieldy.  How about "A'ng'erg Pafalka"  for "Mask of the Tree Cousin"?

I've got to go, but see what you think of those and let me know.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2008, 04:35:32 »

Boy, you two are GOOD!

@ Tharoc - I've used your translation for First Born in the Kaaer beliefs entry. Nice touch.

@ Alysse - That etymology works for me! Very nice. I think I'll be revising the main Kaaer entry at some point to integrate all of I've done so far. And, I've use your translation for Mask of the Tree Cousin in the Themed'lon entry.  :D thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 July 2008, 02:01:08 »

Alysse...

Hey, what if we called it the Palz Forest?  That means "Woods" in Kuglimz  :D

I'll look into it.  Perhaps there's some elven influence too.

Did you ever get around to a possible name for the Wood Forest?

Also, in my Wisp entry, I need a name for an Osther-Oc battle hymn. Something violent, yet mystical?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Alysse the Likely

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 July 2008, 02:38:33 »

Well, shall we call it the Pallon Forest?  That's a sneaky little Easter egg using both the Kuglim and the Elven words for "woods" and it's a nice euphonious name, don't you think?

As for the hymn--that's harder.  Is it an actual written out song to which we have the words, or just a reference?  If the latter, can I make it something that celebrates Choan of Orc, the famous female orc warlord of the Osther Oc?

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 July 2008, 02:51:32 »

Choan of Orc, that would be perfect. It's just a reference.  :)

And I am worried that Pallon sounds too much like Paelelon forest in the south...  undecided

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 July 2008, 03:49:31 »

Choan of Orc..... *groan*... haha, nice E-E

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Alysse the Likely

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2008, 04:45:32 »

Isn't it though?  (chortles wickedly)

As for the hymn--"Choan'ash'uon'kh'al'on'uck"  could be the full title, called "Choan'ash" for short.  It translates roughly to "Choan the noble Shaman-Warrior", or "Choan the Worthy".  Like her namesake, Choan will be receiving mystical directions/visions from "the gods".  She will be training as a shaman before she becomes a warlord.

Will that be okay? 

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 July 2008, 04:52:16 »

Excellent! I've integrated it into the entry now. Thanks, Alysse!

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2008, 11:25:47 »

Alysse and Tharoc!!!

Please see my Kalta'Goor entry at your earliest convenience. I took some liberties and invented some previously unknown orc history, places and even invented an extinct orcen language from which the Kalta'Goor and Karma'Goor names came from. I want to make sure this is ok with you two...
« Last Edit: 24 August 2008, 11:30:25 by Azhira El´rosse » Logged

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 August 2008, 01:50:07 »

For my part, Az, I have no problems with this at all. You have done a sterling job of creating this whole entry, and I love the idea of a lost Orcen language.
I have also pondered on the possibility of having some form of written Orcen language, even going so far as to draw a few basic symbols which could represent letters, but I couldn't get past thinking that a direct 'translation' of our alphabet is a bit of a cheat. Would they, instead, have symbols which represented groups of letters? Or perhaps, like the Eastern cultures of RL, symbols which represented whole words? I think this is something which needs further investigation at a later date.

As for the entry itself, I love it. The two 'mini-stories' which you included as diary-style entries are especially good.

Use the force, Luke.

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 September 2008, 10:59:48 »

Thanks, Tharoc for the kind words!

Ok, I have another one for you two to peek at...

Heaths of Eph'denn

Alysse - Make sure I have my flora/fauna accurate. I threw alot in these heaths...

Tharoc - Check my orc stuff. I made up some more history, and explained Hell'wrung a little bit, so please keep me consistent with what you have in mind for your orc boys.

Thanks!  heart

Alysse the Likely

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 September 2008, 12:47:00 »

Okay, Azhira, check completed!  Looks pretty good to me, just a few minor details/tweaks/corrections needed here.  :)

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 September 2008, 00:03:22 »

Ok boss. I'll just finish mucking out the stables, then I've the laundry to do, and the beds to make, so I should get to it sometime tonight, hopefully before I have to prepare supper for Mistress Alysse and your good self. grin

Use the force, Luke.

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 04 September 2008, 08:12:40 »

I hope you like your food HOT, Alysse, because orcen cuisine consists mostly of adding Kragghi root...   

I also hope Serf Wargrider washes his hands after mucking out the stables and before preparing supper....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.