Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Bard Judith!  (Read 30048 times)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 04 August 2008, 21:57:22 »

Hey Judy, hope you’re having fun scribbling away at the drawing pad!  Just a dwarf-related question which came up on the rpg board, and I’m not really sure enough of the answer to advise the CD writer properly.  This dwarf’s mother died when he was 55, and him and his brother go off travelling together, basically making friends and getting helped by various people for a while. (Oh yes, they go and visit some elves too….what do dwarves think of elves?)  They then get a job from their Uncle at 61 – he wants them to take his Sulcho mushrooms and sell them.  Is this old enough?  Are they still children or have they become adolescents?

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 04 August 2008, 22:57:40 »

Thanks for checking, Rookie!  I really appreciate the RPG efforts to keep things consistent.   

I quote the relevant passages here with my notes - you can pass them on...

"Dwarves have a fairly long adolescence, approximately eighty-five to ninety years of age before sexual maturity. This time of passage into adulthood is known as "Huregozar" for females, "Baregozar" for males, and is indicated by various subtle external and internal physical changes, and a new emotional steadiness and decisiveness (compared to adolescence, that is…). We may only guess at the qualifications for Hu/Baregozar, as they are determined individually in consultation with each young adult by the Denirim of the clan. The root words of this expression appear to come from the dwarven for ‘female’ and ‘male’ - Hut and Bar respectively - plus the archaic word for ‘hand’ - Goz - or possibly the word Regonz, meaning ‘achieved’ (literally, ‘no longer waiting’).

Once a group of dwarven adolescents have achieved Hu/Baregozar, there is a significant ceremony which takes place to recognize them as adults. The “Wirrutharoon” (roughly translatable as ‘Well-Made-Thing-Time’) is held fairly frequently by dwarven standards, roughly every ten years..."

So your dwarves MIGHT be mature for their age, but they still could not be expected to work independently - outside the clan - until they had gone through the Wirrutharoon.

At 55 their clan would be reluctant to let them Aboveground - rather like a 17 year old who's just finished highschool saying "I wanna take a break and go to India for a year"....  even in each other's company.   

Basically the description is fine - your player just needs to push back his ages a bit.

Mother dies when he is 55 - ok.  Where's his father - already deceased?  The clan is like a huge extended family, so the youth would have his own chores and apprenticeship already within that - he doesn't NEED to leave.  Let's say that at 69, a few years later by dwarven standards, he is considered mature enough and is physically precocious as well - he is allowed to join the preparation for the upcoming Wirrutharoon with adolescent dwarves (Shorrs) ten to twenty years older than he ( a difference of about five years as they'd see it).    Unfortunately he and his (twin, of course) brother are not seen as prime marriage material (the main reason dwarves leave their caverns and go above ground) and since there are never enough dwarfmaids to go round, they become 'Travelling Bachelors'...

"The few males who remain unmated often take the title of “Kavoninn Yabarrah”. They leave their caverns in order to sublimate their unmet sexual energies in their craftsmanship and dedication to another cause. They may join one of the famous dwarven mercenary troops, or settle in a human town and set up a business, sending much of their profits back to their home clan. This title is sometimes mistranslated as ‘Exile’ by humans who do not understand the complexity of dwarven relationships, or as ‘Thwarted Lover’ by sentimental poets. However, according to our Thergerim sources, it simply means ‘Travelling Bachelor’ – an unwed male who goes out from the clan…"

At this point - say, 70 years of age, their uncle sees an opportunity for them and offers them a position Aboveground selling Sulcho in the markets of XXX.   No problem!

I'd really recommend "The Midnight Morjual"http://www.santharia.com/library/thergerim_tales/texts/the_midnight_morjual.htm as reading for this player, as it describes that time of life among the dwarves in a vivid way.  Also, the description of Een Puvtar http://www.santharia.com/places/een_puvtyr.htm is pretty atmospheric.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 04 August 2008, 23:21:14 »

Wow, thanks Judy!  You see, it's actually really easy to keep it in line with the dev when there are people to ask :).

The player actually had the father leave when they were very tiny because he wanted to try his luck farming somewhere else, and then the father never returned...ominous.  The CD is Thorum MithmezinnPolula if I'm not explaining it well.  The mother then moved with the twins to Tyr Thromgolin. Does the trading town have the same structure?

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 12 August 2008, 04:02:02 »

Judy...I have this crazy idea that I've been thinking of...

My half-orc belief system is very nature-centric with their beliefs in the power of nature, beasts and the Hunt. It has alot of similarities with the druids, but I didn't want to make them entirely druidic, although it would be easy to do.

Instead, I want to link the Kaaer with the Fylja...perhaps there are certain powerful shamuts who are actually Fylja. It would be perhaps a step deeper within their religion to actually be able to become a beast to whom they so revere.

Given that the Fylja are mythical, and that the Kaaer are quite isolated from many other tribes, I don't think introducing the Fylja concept within the Beastlord faith would be too much of a stretch. Not only that, but the Fylja are a Northern Sarvonian concept and that makes it additionally a good fit. Perhaps the Osther-Oc could have old lore that tells of their half-orcen cousins having the ability to "shape-shift". Something that would give the Kaaer an advantage.

I am not proposing to make the entire Kaaer tribe a bunch of shape-shifters. I am only proposing to give the Kaaer an additional mythical aspect (whether true or not). If so, I could add some bits in the Beastlord faith entry of the possibly links between the Kaaer and the Fylja. Thoughts?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #94 on: 12 August 2008, 10:29:55 »

Wooooo!  I love it! 

You have great logical reasons, but it also just feels right - to have the Fylja 'linked' to a location and a tribe is just what it needs to make the legends and lore plausible.   "There are certain powerful shamuts who are actually Fylja...." exactly right. 

The Kaaer are isolated enough and Northern enough to make an excellent fit mythically and practically.  Their love of beasts and their own mixed heritage...far better to have shapeshifters arise from this tribe than, say, the Eyelians.   I had always intended the Fylja to be based on the Nordic concept, and to be part of the 'weirdwoman' (or 'wyrdwoman' if you prefer! :) ) tradition. 

I imagine a wrinkled crone, 'Vulfmuter',  who dispenses herbal infusions and mutters prayers and invocations over the sickbed, an intercessory between the physical and spiritual world - draped in ancient silvering wolfskins and tatters of deerhide - at night strange howls emerge from her bromer, or a lean form is seen slinking away, to break out and race impossibly fast over the plains....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 12 August 2008, 11:07:14 »

Oh yay! clap I am glad you agree, Judy. I was quite hesitant to propose the idea as I wasn't sure if such a thing were possible. I think this is a perfect fit. This opens up an entirely new aspect for the Kaaer's culture and religion...I have some revising to do!  cool

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #96 on: 12 August 2008, 13:55:22 »

Let me know if you need any part of the Fylja rewritten or revised; I should love to make them integrated and cross-referenced.  I might also do another illustration... say that old wolf-crone... :)

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 13 August 2008, 20:27:37 »

And, yet again I'm leaning on your doorbell, asking for dwarven advice...I brought cake though...nom nom nom.

Anyway, do you know when the Council Tree and the Tenthrum might have started trading?  Or have any preference to which era?   I'd like to put a rough date in my history section.  I've got a first very rough draft of a timeline down in the entry, and I've put the beginnings of a relationship at around 0 a.S. (give or take a few 100 years), but it still could be pretty much anywhere if you have a particular preference.

Gah, history,

Rookie xxx

Edit:  Ooo, there is something in the singspeakers entry about them only being made in this way for the last 500 years or so.  Is this a reference to Brownie involvement?
« Last Edit: 15 August 2008, 17:03:03 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Azhira Styralias

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 15 August 2008, 04:32:54 »

Miss Judy,

Please peek at my revised Kaaer entries here and here. You will definitely have to update the Fylja entry.  :D

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #99 on: 15 August 2008, 11:51:42 »

No problem, Az, but I'm on vacation atm (the last long weekend before school starts, so EVERYONE in the country is on vacation) and we're up in the mountains with no wireless access - must be the only part of Korea that doesn't have it.... :)   

Comments and revisions when I get back!  Hugs!

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 15 August 2008, 17:23:06 »

Don't miss my post above Azhira's either Judy - it has cake attached! 

See you soon hug

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #101 on: 16 August 2008, 14:36:55 »

(snarfs down cake greedily then looks around)

Er, Rookie?   I hope that really WAS a little icing ornament on top that I just consumed...

Anyhow, I have no preferences, as the Tenthrums (technically Tenthrumim) aren't written yet.  The more you do the less I have to!   Blurargh, history....

(Which is odd considering that I majored in the stuff, read it for fun, and immerse myself in the fine technical details of medieval and renaissance-era food, clothing, music, and culture... I just hate trying to come up with it for Santharia!  I can never cross-reference all the stuff that should be there and make it effective...)

Oh, right, Singspeakers - yes, those are definitely built with Brownie involvement, but as I said to someone somewhere sometime before, the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.   The parts which the Brownies make are done by two separate clans, (Maj and ...um.. the hands-on guys whose name I've forgotten) - the parts the dwarves forge are a third, and they don't come into conjunction until the Singspeaker for the particular cavern unpacks them in his assembly cavern and puts the machine together with his apprentices.  It's all very hush-hush technology!

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 27 March 2010, 18:48:46 »

Greetings Bard,

In the City of Ximax: Discussion entry, I have included a temple of Jeyriall in the burough called Hollyale and was wondering if you had any thoughts/comments/suggestions regarding it. Here are some tasty treats for you to eat. I bought them from a nice little bistro just around the corner ...

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 17 April 2010, 06:29:52 »

Hello, Bard. :)  Was wondering if you could look at a newcomers entry and give your opinion on the Dwarfy bits.  You will find it here, called the Great Maul.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 19 April 2010, 20:36:35 »

I wondered if I could make the High Bridge in Marcogg a Fimble work. Would that be all right in principle?

If it would, there remains the question of when it was built. I'm thinking to date the Fimbles' origin to shortly after the early years a.S, so the High Bridge could have been built no earlier than the first century a.S. It would thus be some 1000 years younger than the Low Bridge (or Sunset Bridge), which is estimated to have been built around 950 b.S.

Is that feasible?

(There would be a little stone fuzzle climbing up the right inner arch, which you could only see if you stood on the path right below the bridge, took hold of a crevice in the masonry and leaned way over the fence, half your body dangling above the Mashdai River.)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.