Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Bleeding Empress  (Read 2641 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 12 June 2011, 22:28:19 »

For Kalina.  See also the relevant entry-in-progress!

« Last Edit: 03 December 2011, 23:21:36 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2011, 23:39:48 »

A very lovely painting, Bard! heart Though I do hope your heart isn't set on the wings :-/ The wings colour should be the same, except for perhaps a couple different colours for markings, and the shape. :)

I quite enjoyed waking up to this treasure, and I feel honoured you chose one of my entries! heart :D

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2011, 08:43:50 »

Um.... maybe it's just that I haven't woken up yet. but I don't understand the problem with the wings the way you've phrased it.  :D

I tried to follow the so-far rather limited description in the entry as far as colour went.   All the wings on all the moths shown are a deep crimson red ('the same') only with some variegation in light and dark red ('different colours for markings') , and the shape is the same with some slight irregularity of border (natural variation plus some tattering that would be inevitable on such large creatures).    Does it show up differently somehow on your monitor?  What precisely would you like changed?

(I will happily listen to your feedback but won't get around to integrating/doing anything/changing the picture for a few days at least.  This was my last hurrah before exam week.  I have about twenty minutes this morning yet before I go downstairs to the classroom and terrorize my first class of English Conversation students with their Listening Final, bwaa haa hah....  and then it's a week of marking, collating, sorting out marks and assigning grades)

Glad you like the overall effect, though!  Hugs,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2011, 09:38:06 »

I think the problem that Kalina is describing is the fact that the actual shape of the wings isn't defined in the version she's rewriting, and to be fair, she did indicate that she was going to be rather heavily revising this, so perhaps the current picture doesn't quite match up with what our Dragonmistress had in mind?

They are quite pretty however, I grant you that. How long did this one take to throw together?

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2011, 10:04:33 »

Yes. I fear my quick response garnered a slight misunderstanding. Valan is right. I meant more of the shape of the wings, as nothing has been solidly written for their description.

If it helps at all, the shape of the wings will be close to this. I will make the colour more solid rather than such a wide range.

I will write up some of the description tonight after work, since I am done with my Butterfly Dragons (I think)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2011, 16:14:33 »

Fantastic!  That makes things much clearer...and it's my fault for jumping in so eagerly before you had it thoroughly described!

The Atlases are spectacular moths.   But pretty, pretty please, can we compromise just a little on the colour?  A solid colour is not only not very true to nature (poor camo - and these things are HUGE and bright red at the same time!), it's very unaesthetic to have to illustrate.  Subtle markings and variations, plus visible 'scaling', would produce a more realistic effect...

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2011, 21:47:43 »

Valan attempts to interpret again!

If we look at the Atlas, there's a rather wide range of colours. You've got creams and blacks and several shades of rust, orange and even greys. It seems a little riotous. A little variation wouldn't be bad, but I rather think the red is quite striking.

As for camouflage, the underside of the wings could be just that. All depends on Kali's revisions on this.

So on that note, I'll let this thread get back to work!

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2011, 11:40:31 »

I would love to finish this illustration but haven't heard from Kalina.  Since the shape of the wings needs to be changed, plus the colour, that basically means redrawing all of the moths entirely.

Not to be fussy, but I have pointed out before that sometimes it's a lot easier to change a few words in a description than take hours to redraw an illustration.  My fault for going ahead on the Empress without a full and thorough description, of course, but it does make one rather sullen about the disproportionate extra work involved.   

Are there any other moths that could use an illustration, instead?  I can very simply run a couple of hue filters to make these an entirely different colour - say, brown and cream - and then add markings over the wings to create a totally different moth.   Then when the Bleeding Empress entry is done to Kali's satisfaction, I will draw her a moth to her specifications.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2011, 16:26:22 »

Bard you should read the desription of the SingSong Moth.  Perhaps you will be inspired to make the chnages necessary to make that one.  You are a bard after all. :)

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2011, 21:07:06 »

An intriguing idea!   I shall keep that on the back burner for winter vacation.   Thank you so much for the suggestion, Seeker!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2011, 23:21:19 »

Ok... I've moved this picture now from the "work in progress" list to the available resources. So this one won't be Kalina's pic anymore (unless she makes some adjustments to her moth), and whether we'll put it into an existing entry (in an altered version) or a new one as it is still has to be decided. At any rate it's up for grabs if someone has an idea!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.