Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: hello, guess what? I'm new 2  (Read 5155 times)
Lancelot2001ca

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 20 July 2002, 08:12:00 »

Hello

I was wondering if I could join the creation team. I am both a veteran rp-er as well as a worldbuider. I have been working on my own world for 10 years, maybe more, time passes so quickly. My world is unique in every sense of the term, there is no stereotypes in it, not even the things you see in every rpg. (i.e. elves, the so called "dwarves"(wouldn't like to be called that if I was one), orcs, etc.) . Every thing is pure imagination, but based on logic and realism. Without realism and logic, well, you can forget about making a world, or people will laugh loud at it when they see it.

Hummm... dunno what else to say, I've already been making a post or two in the other SD board, and would like to contribute to the work of the SD. I am good at pretty much everything in worldbuilding, and I am also good at storymaking, but not necessarily storytelling though. :)

You can give me an area with an idea and I can turn it into something highly detailed and interesting for both players (gm and players) and conceptors.

I possess a semi-pro map software that is very useful, I can use it to make sketch so that you can transform them into the kind of maps and drawings you do here.

I like to work with someone who knows just a bit of everything in the world. Like he/she would have worked on the area once but had too many things to do so he concentrated on something, but he would help me get the feeling of the area as I make things, etc.

I don't think I have limitations when it comes to imagination. But I do have my opinions and tastes, one of them being that I dislike stereotypes in a world, like taking ideas from someone else and shaping them to your liking. for instance, you have elves and the so called "dwarves", well, wouldn,t it be more appropriate to call them something else? Especially for the "dwarves". Like I said earlier, I wouldn't like to be called that if I was a member of this race. lol

But that's okay, you don't have too many of these, and your world isn't based on them like every typical d&d world. They just can't seem to be innovative enough to invent something on their own, they must absolutely take other's ideas to make their stuff. Okay, you may take other's ideas, but that's what those people want, they give you their ideas so you can make then come true. so your world is based on innovation and imagination, no stereotypes and copies.

Well, I think you people did a good job, and hope someday we'll see SD in a "hobby store near you". :)

Thanks for reading my post, I've already sent an e-mail to the master of this clique, and hope to hear from him soon, even though I'm sure has, not many, but too many things to do. I know, I've built a world, and let me tell you, you cannot finish a world, never! Imagine that you need to make each country, each culture, and each living thing at different places in the timeline! Not only that, but you need to also do it in a realistic and coordinated way, not randomly. :)

Ciao! for now.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2002, 12:39:00 »

that's a really big post. And I read through the whole of it. Erk. *grins*
Welcome. It seems you have some skill, and since you've sent Arti a letter, we'll see what he says. Though you don't need any permission, you can read through the Santharian Dream Website www.santharia.com and you can see that there are many MANY things going on besides maps and creating. There are pictures and personalities, races and religions...

Erk! Okay. I'm scatting.
Bai! and Welcome again!

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2002, 12:55:00 »

Hello Lancelot/Greywolf/Patrick - whatever you prefer:)

Yup, I've got your mail, but as usual I'm a bit stressed (I've added you to my ICQ & MSN lists BTW). Well, welcome anyway - people with fresh ideas and too much creativity are what we like here in Santharia. Note however, that Santharia was concepted and designed from the beginning as a "fantasy world in the style of Tolkien". This doesn't mean that we're copying ideas of Tolkien, but that elves, dwarves and orcs are also part of our world, though we try to be unqiue in every possible way, be it world design, graphics, Flash movies or even musics. Every picture you see on the site and every written text is the work of our Santharian writers/artists (last remnants of icons etc. will also be replaced soon by new pics).

I suggest at first that you have a good read through the site to learn more about the world and maybe find something which might interest you. The development focus currently is the southern part of the continent of Sarvonia, which in fact is the United Kingdom of Santharia. And what we mainly need currently are places descriptions e.g., also in preparation for the MUD, which we've begun to design lately.

However, there is currently a new races ban and a new tribes ban, and no further new regions will be added to our world. We've reached a point in development, where it is important to flesh out in more detail what we already have outlined here and there. There's enough work to do:)  So the more background information you have already in Santharian matters, the easier it will be to develop something in this respect.

BTW: Re-registering with another account would be good:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Lancelot2001ca

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2002, 20:04:00 »

Okay, I'll do that as soon as I can, but for now, just tolerate that account. :)   I'll change it when my character is going to be accepted, but my real alias is Greywolf, but I don't think this will fit my character well, even in adventurer mode. :)  

So I'll wait until my character is accepted, not necessarily wait until I get a title, not a must for me unlike others, and I know that I need one to play, but I am in no hurry to play and every time someone comments my character I give out more info on him, so after he is accepted, I will collect all the info in the discussion and put it in a final version, and then we'll see. :)  

Well, if you give me an area to that is unfinished or not started, I'll be glad to help. But I usually don't run around a world seeking an undevelopped place, I rather be guided. So if you need a place to be fleshed out, give me all the info you've already got, tell me what you want to be done in there, give me a feeling of the region and what you expect and I'll do what i can. That is, something innovative and unique, even if it isn't in my own world. :D  

I wasn't going to build a new race anyways. At maximum, I might invent a new culture, but not a race, too complicated and time consuming, you must know what I am talking about... origins (where did they came from, I mean scientifically not legends or maybes, facts.), their history, why they are what they are today, etc. Too darn long.

In my own world, I have only two real races, a human-like race (most dominant in the later ages of the world) and an elf-like (most dominant in the past, but not in the beginning of the universe though just in the past and far past.). Other than that, the other "races" are simply combinasion of one of the two with a creature or one from another world.

I know that you did the world in honour of Tolkien, so I understand why you choosed to take some of his races, but you could have changed the names or have themselves called something else. Face it, if you were a so called "dwarf" would you like to be called that by a taller race? I don't think so, you should like do this:

<name of race for dwarves> (Similar to tolkien's Dwarves in appearance)

then the description of the race would follow, which would give the illusion of having a completely new race, but in fact, they are really dwarves from tolkien. :)  

I personaly didn't do that last thing in my own world, everythign except the two beings I mentioned in the mail all doesn't look like some that already exists in other games, but that's it.

I didn't get any request to add you to my contact list on icq and I don't see you on msn either. I'll send the respective addresses again just in case I didn't wrote them correctly. :)  

Thanks for replying so soon, ciao! :D  

Edited by: Lancelot2001ca at: 7/20/02 6:06:07 am
Lancelot2001ca

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2002, 22:08:00 »

Thank you for welcoming me. Sorry about the long post.

But like I said before, I prefer it very long and good rather than a short and cheap. ;)  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2002, 02:14:00 »

Lancelot:

The word "dwarf" comes from the ancient Norse/Scandinavian word "dwuegar" (various spellings), meaning 'digger'.  The concept of stocky, mining, clannish fantasy humanoids has been around much longer than the more recent usage of the word 'dwarf' to describe a short (non-stature-enhanced?) human.   In other words, when we write about 'dwarves", use the adjective "dwarven", and speak of a 'dwarf', we do not have the pejorative sense in our mind's eye which you seem to have.  

Also, the dwarves of Sorren, which you should know if you had read even the headings of the Compendium Race entry, are called "Thergerim". (Or Morgerim, Nybemargerim, and so on, depending on their geographic location) They have their own language, culture, social habits, relationships, pyschology, physiology, and religious beliefs which are not in any way similar to the stereotypical D&D heavy-drinking belligerent types, or the red-nosed Disney dullards.

Thank you for your concern, but you will find that a lot of time and effort has already been expended upon making every inclusion, from the smallest herb to the grandest history timeline, unique, detailed,  and attractive. Have a look at www.santharia.com (and admire the new menu layout while you are there, too!  Kudos to Quellion....)

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2002, 02:26:00 »

This guy is calling for a recruitment poster for Nybelmar! :D

Well, will take me some more weeks without exams to have something ready so ... but otherwise when you want to concentrate on the development of something new thes Isles of Quios, the KIngdom of Doranian and the continent of Aerulliun have only mere outlines ready if I remember correctly so there would be room for development either.

Our current main concern is to flesh out Santharia however, its  places, etc... so in fact we have many places that still need work so you won't be able to escape it! :lol  *evil :lol *

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Lancelot2001ca

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2002, 04:56:00 »

It's nice to know that you have given your "dwarves" a real name. I didn,t take the time to go through everything on this site, I only checked things important to character development, nothing else since I didn't want to have player-knowledge while making my character. BTW, the character I've made is pretty malleable and can be put in any feudal kingdom that is known in any world. I've created the guy after I read a couple of things on the site, guess all that hard work of yours gave me a bit of inspiration. And with the character comes a story, past, present and near future too.

But back to business, I have no prob to work on the Kingdoms or the islands. But I need a guide, someone who knows the area and woudl tell me what to do, I don't like to do things blindly on my on when the thing isn't mine. I don't know if you know what I mean though. Let me try this, while I was working with the guys in Gathis, I had a whole kingdom to work with, but the person I worked with sent me unfinished stuff of the region as well as what he would have liked to see done first, etc. So I would like to know if someone could act as a guide for me since I know very little of the SD and it would accelerate considerably my knowledge of the SD.

Those places, Isles of Quios, the KIngdom of Doranian and the continent of Aerulliun, looks interesting, but if you would like to flesh out more of Santharia, I have no objection, but you need to be less loose with me, I mean, give me objectives, things to do, etc. Don't just throw me into the arena and expect something and then something else is done. I don't want to work for nothing or completely change everything that I've made.

I would like to work with someone. Like that person would give me a piece of the region he is working with and he would tell me what needs to be done first and then I would do it the way the SD staff wants it. Then we would all look at it and comment and change some little details that might not fit, correct the typos and grammar etc, and then post it. :)

Sandaria looks cool, and since you really want it finished as soon as possible it would be logical to put everyone on it. Ok, let me work with someone who is working on a vast region of Sandaria and would like a bit ofhelp to cut his work load a bit. I wont do much at first since I will need to understand and learn everything there is to know about the region and what he/she expects and finally, have the feeling of the SD. Just ring and I'll come. I have MSN and ICQ as well as e-mail, you can ask the fearless leader or Uragel, both have at least my icq #. It'll be better to work with that person and with everyone else as well.

Thank you all for your time I know you are  very busy in life, and over your heads in the SD. :)  

Ciao for now!

Off topic: I heard you were trying to make the SD a video game, is that right? If you need someone to invent a logical system of character development, just ring, I have a couple of nice logical but simple to use ones here. :)   I am in game creation too you know, I've got several interesting games made, including the great rpg system that I've talked about and some games that works best as a video game.

Thanks to all who have replied to this post btw. :)  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2002, 08:34:00 »

I'm sure we can find someone to give general guidelines about an area fairly soon - in the meantime just try to familiarize yourself with some of the more important concepts of Sorren(say Religion, or History,) and flip through the plants and beasts to get a feel for how entries can be written, and generally absorb some background flavour.  Places at the moment are a priority.  Nybelmar indeed needs work, but I'd suggest focusing in on one of the small map areas which the MUD requires, and trying to flesh it out in the sort of detail which has been provided for other regions.  

And by the way...

What do you mean by 'logical system of character development"?  Sounds intriguing, but are characters really 'logical'?   Does this system/program rely on archetypes and stereotypes to develop a randomly-generated list of attributes, or spit out interesting names, or give guidelines for creating a birthday, autobiography, history, and personality of a particular individual?

Come on, you can't just wave this phrase in front of us and leave it at that!  ;)   Give a bit more detail - is this concept available on a web page or homepage somewhere?  Good luck with the background reading, and looking forward to a sample entry from you.

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Lancelot2001ca

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2002, 11:16:00 »

Ok, thanks, just point me at a direction and I'll statr working on something that needs to be done right away. I'll check a bit of the religion and some of the other stuff too, but it'll take a lot of time since you've done such a good job at making many small to mediium sized docs. :)    LOL

As for the logical character development system, my personal one, my chef d'oeuvre, I cannot either show it or talk about it much, because it is quite revolutionary in every sense and unique, none resembles or is close to it on the market. I want to keep the idea to myself until I put it on the market someday soon I hope. :)  

But like I said, I got a couple of others here, and I can always invent one conceived only for the SD, it's no big deal for me. Just name the things you want to see and it's there.

All I can say is that in my Logical character development system, you basically do whatever you want, you are not limited by stupid senseless things as the so called "classes". You choose the profession of your character, background and personality, and more importantly his culture (race being but secondary, culture is everything in my world) then the dm/gm/st and the player sit down together and tries to figure out what kind of skills his character would have and at what level (Like pro, beginner, apprentice, master, etc. which is reflected on the dm's sheet of the character as a % while on the player,s is a description of what he can and can't do like if he has a 50% in herb lore of a certain region, it would mean that he know half the herbs there and half their description, etc.) Lots and lots of other things that makes this system so great, this last thing though might be something that has already been used somewhere else already that's why I talk about it..

by the way, magic isn't stereotypical, it isn't standard like everyone has a spell book and have a list of spells in there and then cast those spells. It's not like that, you are a mage (But you can be a warrior in full plate that can "cast spells" even if they ain't spells, with no penalties like in other games, since it's not magic like you know it.), you have your own spells, and maybe a trick or two from your master if you had one. Btw, this is in my world, and the system is conceived for it, but the system is also universal a lot and can be used with other worlds too.

Like I said, if ever you would like to have a system to play table rpg, ring and I'll see what I can do for you. :)  

Meanwhile, I'll wait until you can show me a region where I can work a bit on and join the fun. :)  

Thanks for replying.

Bye

Edited by: Lancelot2001ca at: 7/21/02 4:17:40 pm
Lancelot2001ca

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2002, 09:48:00 »

Hmm... I read teh religion part, and it's well done, but you have done a huge mistake. (I am talking about thecosmology, unless it is the absolute truth about the world, then forget what I say below. :)  )

You did the religion for everyone on the planet! That'S a really bad mistake since every culture on a world will have different needs, different beliefs and different religiong and gods.

OR

You did the religion of the elves only, and this is also a mistake, not all elves think the same way, it depends on their culture.

That's why I said that in my world culture is everything and that I hate doing new races and cultures, because you have to do all their rituals, beliefs, needs, habits, religion, etc. But that doesn't mean I ain't good at it, I'm very good at it. :)  

Like in my world, there is the mortal religions, each culture having its own with their sole god or patheon of gods based on ancient history and their needs and surroundings, Like you wont see a goddess of foxes whre there aren't any for example. There is also the non-believers, people who think that the gods are simply other living beings, powerful, but no more godly than the neighbor. And third and last, the gods' truth (can't reveal that because it's a secret, you'll have to buy yourself a copy to know what it is. lol). So you see, religion isn't something that is everywhere, but it's limited to a single culture, it can spread yes, but not everyone will see it like the original form. Much like the elves in your world and the other races.

I am pretty sure you did the religion in an elven point of view because every name is elven, and the ones who knows everything are the elves, well, to what you say in thereligion docs. The elves knows this but the other race not, the elves believes this the others not. :)    So I think this would be the elves' religion, not the other races. Gods included.

Why would there be only like 12 gods? If I make a priest as a character, would I need to choose among those gods? What if in that person's culture there are no such gods but others with human names and with human appearances reflecting their needs?

It's not that I don't like the work, it's excellent, but it should be for the true elves only, not the degenerated versions like wilderness elves, lost wood elves, or the so called "dark" elves. All of these other groups of elves should have different beliefs, who know if what the true elves says is true? It might be just a big illusion to all!

You should have (maybe you do have it, didn't see it yet.) a human version for every major culture on Santharia as well as for every other non-human cultures, even for dragons and other intelligent monsters. They aren,t just there to be killed you know, since they have intelligence, they have a culture and a civilization. (You probably know that anyways. lol)

Lke I said, it's an excellent piece of work. :)     Keep up the good work!!!

Ok, enough writing, back to reading.

*Closes the boards, raises from his chair and close the door as he goes back to the Santharian Library.*

Edited by: Lancelot2001ca at: 7/21/02 5:11:04 pm
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2002, 14:44:00 »

The development first focussed on Santharia only, so the dominating religion of this realm was posted there and only little late also other religions sprang up who will be treated equally I guess.

As the Santharian religion is a system of cults around these twelve gods I guess the people of Santharia can put together their belief according to their needs.

Other religions will be based on different systems though this has still to be cleared up completely, I guess...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Lancelot2001ca

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2002, 01:42:00 »

Thank you for clarifying this for me, so there isn,t much of a big population on Santharia then? Because if there were, tell yourself as time pass, new needs and new things arises, and thus changing the people's beliefs and the way they see the world. Just base yourself on our own religions, they ain,t what they used to be a thousand years ago.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2002, 12:54:00 »

Yup, it doesn't need much discussion that the religion section is elf-centered at the moment, in fact it is centered around elven beliefs of southern Sarvonia, where the cradle of the world is supposed to lie (as you see, this is an assumption, a myth as well).

So we're well aware that the there are other cultures with other beliefs spread over Sorren and that belief changes over time, but we can't do all at once. We've defined priorities (places decriptions and fleshing out of tribes in Santharia) due to various reasons, other religions at the moment are not too relevant for current development, though they shouldn't be forgotten.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2002, 15:03:00 »

Somebody apparently thinks quite highly of themself, now don't they?

*Loads and cocks his shotgun* Git tha young'uns in the house, Ma. *Guards his creations from the 'revolutionary' and 'unique' ideas of the 'modest' person*

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Today at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.