Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Trollish - new Troll vocabulary here!  (Read 75104 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 April 2012, 11:10:09 »

Yes you are, and good job Ishy! :)

I find it scary that I was here when those posts were first made ... or at least I'm sure I was ... I find it hard to believe I've been around for 3 years

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 26 April 2012, 03:23:51 »

Yeah, some people have a tendency to disappear after a few posts - and when the master dealing with a certain issue is away not much will happen with it... Anyway, would be good to have a confirmed list of vocabulary which is ok with you to be added to the Troll race entry. If we manage to get some more we might even move it from the main entry to the language section the way with have it with Thergerim Taal and Styr嫳h. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

Ishmaelion the philosopher

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 April 2012, 03:27:25 »

Well, let's get cracking then! I'll work on the list as soon as possible, nice to try pronouncing new TRULTRUL words again :)

« Last Edit: 04 May 2012, 04:16:54 by ishmaelion » Logged

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 May 2012, 04:17:13 »

Well, this might take somewhat longer than anticipated, as the list by Harver forces me to clarify more aspects of TRULTRUL then I had envisioned in my first list. I'll think on it some more and post a more thorough word-list PLUS description of the language and its role in Troll society! (If that is okay)

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 04 May 2012, 04:45:15 »

Of course it is, Ishmaelion, even better! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 May 2012, 02:02:20 »

I put a description of the Trollish language as I imagined it in a new thread so that this one can remain purely based on vocabulary.

I am looking forward to your ideas and comments!

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2012, 16:17:23 »

I am looking to name the hills in which the Snow Trolls live on the northernmost mainland island of Cyhalloi in TRULTRUL, but I don't really know where to start with this crazy language. As it is right now, the hills are called Rolling Snows, but since the trolls are the only ones living there, I figure they should be the ones naming the place.

Vesk suggested to me IGMESHKLOIGH, which I guess would be "snow mountain", but the hills aren't really mountains. They're just really big hills that shift around like sand dunes in the desert. Any suggestions that you may have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a TRULTRUL word for land / island?

Thankyou bunches!
« Last Edit: 29 May 2012, 16:31:38 by Val O就eil » Logged

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 May 2012, 23:57:12 »

I'll get back to you on that this evening! grin

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 May 2012, 07:31:45 »

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, Ishmaelion. :)

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 May 2012, 08:05:11 »

Okay Val! I am working on more vocab for TRULTRUL these days and your question gave me another opportunity to think of more evil-sounding words thumbup cool

What do you think of this: making the trollish distinction between plain - mountain - water apparant in lexical form and then extrapolate the other types of land-phenomena (i.e. hils, islands, canyons, etc.) based on that.

Plain, field = SLOGH
Mountain   = KLOIGH
Water        = SLOSH
Lake, river = SLOSHSLOSH 
Hill             = KLOIGHSNI 'little mountain'
Snowy hill  = KLOIGHSNIMESH with plural KLOIGHKLOIGHSNIMESH
Island        = SLOGHSLOSH 'watery plain'
Canyon     = SLOGHKRAH 'broken plain'

So your answer would be KLOIGHKLOIGHSNIMESH ('little white mountains') for the placename, which is, I admit, pretty long. But then again, Trolls don't really deal in place-names so they would be very simple about what they mean without paying attention to language esthetics or ease.

Agree? huh

P.s. I really need to write a grammar part on Trollish vocabulary, there really is a system there as I am discovering. More will follow!

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2012, 07:59:59 »

KLOIGHKLOIGHSNIMESH is odd for a place name, and admittedly a little long. But I've seen names that are almost just as long, in R'unor example: Hylph'xan'ian'kroi Mountains is pretty long.

I'm not sure what I expected-...  lol  Actually, I'm pretty sure this exactly what I expected. Thank you for your time, Ishmaelion.

Wait, if KLOIGHSNI is "little mountain" or "hill", and to make something plural you repeat it, then wouldn't a plural of it be KLOIGHSNIKLOIGHSNIMESH?

SLOGHSLOSH... Hehehe. Oddly, it does sound a lot like Folasch when spoken aloud. Hm... Sloghslosh....

Would "KLOIGHSLOSH" be waterfall then?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

M鏚d幨墈y

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2012, 22:03:55 »

Why not have a shortened version of the mountains that would be known by humans? Surely the geography is known by other names than solely TRULTRUL. I can tell you many examples of orcen names shortened or bastardized by the human Kuglimz or Kaaer.

It might be easier for future entries to refer to the shortened/human name rather than a huge TRULTRUL name

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2012, 22:38:15 »

As Vesk mentioned in the Ghereghut thread, the Snow Trolls probably speak a different language.  If TRULTRUL names are being applied to the Snow Trolls, they are most likely constructed by researchers based on what they know of TRULTRUL, rather than the names the Snow Trolls actually use.  It's not too implausible, considering that trolls in general aren't very approachable. 

Or, if you want the name to actually be something the Snow Trolls use, there's always the option of just making something up.  After all, their language hasn't been described yet, so there's probably no danger of contradicting existing material. 

Why not have a shortened version of the mountains that would be known by humans? Surely the geography is known by other names than solely TRULTRUL. I can tell you many examples of orcen names shortened or bastardized by the human Kuglimz or Kaaer.
This is also a very good idea.  I'm pretty sure this is something that happens in real life too.  It would also impose fewer restrictions on anyone who might want to develop the Snow Troll's language in the future, since differences could be explained away as humans being unable to pronounce the trollish name properly. 

Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 May 2012, 23:52:20 »

I'll probably still have it called the Rolling Snows by the humans of the area. But I wanted a name for it by the people that actually live there. And I'm actually considering renaming the island itself something TRULTRUL sounding, since I will no longer have the Sabuin people there. Snishlosh or some kind of perversion of Slogslosh and their word for snow.

I don't really have time to get too far into this at the moment, as I have to leave for work. I'll post more later. :)

Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 June 2012, 07:52:18 »

I understand what you mean, Azhira, and I appreciate and will apply your suggestion. Though the point isn't to make it easy, it's to have the proper names as named in the world by the inhabitants. So that if I do decide on a bastardization of the name by the humans, I can base the perversion off of the actual name instead of solely going off of the name-trend that the race/tribe renaming it has going.

The main reason I want to use TRULTRUL to name these hills, and maybe a few other areas on that particular island, is because they are the only sentient inhabitants living there that aren't of myth/lore. So, since they mainly live on that island, I figure that they would have names for different general areas of it to communicate to each other that- "Hey, lets go troll around all trolly like in the Rolling Hills today and see what we can nom-nom." I mean, I assume that trolls have conversations with each other just like any other sentient being does, even if they're not very deep or meaningful ones. :P

I'm going to start with a list of words I am going to use as a base, already supplied by Ishmaelion in this thread. After which, I am going to list the tharian name I currently have for the place, coupled with my suggestions for a the Troll's place-name and the bastardization of of said name.

GHEREGH = Cave, home, house, dwelling
IGHMESH = Snow (lit. white stone)
HAMESH = Ice, quartz (literally, 'hard white')
SLOGH = Plain, field
SLOSH = Water
SLOSHSLOSH = Lake, river
SLOGHSLOSH = Island, 'watery plain'
SNI = Small
GH = Being (untranslatable literally. Has the connotation of 'sentience' or 'living'. Animals and some plants can be described with the GH syllable.)
KLOIGH = Mountain
KLOIGHSNI = Hill
SLOGHKRAH = Canyon

Folasch
IGHMESHGHEREGHSLOGHSLOSH. Snowy Home Island.
IGHMESH- Just go with MESH
GHEREGH... REGH
SLOGH... SLOSH...

name suggestions:
MESHREGH SLOGSH
REGHMESH
GREGHMESH
GHEREGHSLOGSH
SLOGRESH

Rolling Snows
KLOIGHKLOIGHSNIMESH. Little White Mountains. Snowy Hills.

name suggestions
MESHGH   or   GHMESH  -  Living snow

Alright. That's all I got. :/   I've been thinking and working on this for the past few days now and that's all I've come up with....

Ishmaelion, I noticed in your list of words that MOSH means Animals. But then MOSHMOSH means Food. But at the bottom it says that to make a word a plural you repeat it. So MOSHMOSH would mean Animals and Food?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.