Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: New Kh'omchr'om (Orcish) Vocabulary Here!  (Read 117222 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 02 July 2010, 05:39:47 »

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a better way to write gestures.   :(
I didn't think 10 symbols was a lot though.  Think of it as a second (and very ugly) alphabet used for spelling out gestures. 

But mainly I'm wondering:

1. Are the gestures themselves alright?
2. Do the ways of using them make sense? 

Mruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 02 July 2010, 05:47:52 »

1. Yes but we DEFINITELY need A LOT more
2. Yep, but perhaps we could have another few to show where it comes relative to the words e.g. before, during, or after the word or sentence.

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 02 July 2010, 13:52:57 »

1. Well, 8 positions and 3 shapes give a total of 24 possible static ones if I have calculated it correctly, of which only 6 have been used so far.  Including movement, there are quite a lot of possible gestures.  I don't mind suggestions.   :)

2. I intended the gestures to be made while speaking they are written as being attached to.  I think they should be simple enough that they can be completed even in the time taken to say just a single-syllable word. 

If the gestures are alright, how about, as a temporary measure, we write the equivalent English word?  For example "h'rok[my]" instead of "h'rok[_>=@]/[_<:@]/[_>=@]" for "my horse"?  Still the same gestures, just translated into English before writing since we don't have a good way of directly writing gestures. 

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 02 July 2010, 16:24:39 »

That's not a bad idea...My idea involved replacing the accents with them, as a kind of two-birds-with-one-stone measure, but that only works when you stick to ' and ` and a couple more like that. But a kind of gestures-dictionary with all of the common gestures in shouldn't be hard and could be an idea...

On the number of gestures - we aren't trying to make a sign language here, so we don't need too many.

But did you get |? Or ? Maybe * as well? But I think Mina is right, 24 is quite a lot of positions, and they really come into their own for similar sounding words. There isn't really a Terran languages which has this mix of gestures and vocals (not a common onne, at least) so we don't have much from experience. However, we do always run into the problem of its looking hideuosly ugly!

I had an idea, on the Chatting in Santh. Languages, about using accents which gives us 4 basic gestures common to all vowels, plus a couple more for individual letters. As Mina said over there, there may not be enough vowels, but it's an idea. Or a single accent on each word could give a general stance or position? So for example:

Xs could be Hot(nicely so ie warm)
Xs could be Hot(as in boiling/furnace ie uncomfortable)

Or since pronouns are likely to need gestures:

Xs is "I-Hot"  - ie, I am hot
Xs is "You-hot" - ie, You are hot
Xs is "He-hot" - ie, He is hot
Xs is "She-hot" - ie, She is hot

These are just ideas and do not preclude Mina's system, into which she has put a lot of work, but is just for basic common gestures rather than more subtle ones.

Then when we add in the tilda and some others, especially from the Scandinavian, we get quite a range of preicse accents as well.

This page contains all of the keyboard shortcuts for word, and lists pretty much every accent and special character.

The Umlaut and the acute go on a "y" as well and "a" and "o" can have a tilda. Plus the cedille and the "o with a line through it"  and a couple more and we can pick and choose the most feasible of the lot to use - certainly not all of them! That would be a new alphabet, almost.

ANyway, I hope that my idea adds a little something to the language discussions, even if it never reaches site.

Athviaro the Developer of Languages (Somehow!?!?)

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 06 July 2010, 05:20:40 »

I was going to wait until I've come up with something better before replying, but that's taking too long.  So I'll just mention some of the things I've been thinking of. 

There are actually quite a lot more diacritics we can use, if we go with that.  Wikipedia has quite a big list.  We could either have each diacritic representing a "word" like your examples with the pronouns, or use them as a less ugly version of the punctuation-spelling I came up with.  But the former requires lots of diacritics, and the latter requires a lot of vowels to put the diacritics on. 

Another idea might be to do something similar to what I did, but using letters instead of punctuation.  So, for example, instead of the symbols "^, _, <, >, :, =", we could instead have "a, b, c, d, e, f".  That,s probably less ugly, but most people probably associate letters with sounds rather than gestures.  Also, we need a way to distinguish them from the spoken words, since those are being written with the same letters.  Maybe they could be italicized or something, but I'm not sure how well that would work yet. 

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 06 July 2010, 06:48:20 »

How about Greek/Arabic/Hebrew characters instead?

And I wasn't proposing that we should only use accents, but for some common ideas they may be useful, I think.

Not got long - it's 10:45 and I need sleep, so that's all. Sorry for the pathetically short post!

Athviaro

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Mruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 06 July 2010, 18:20:03 »

That sounds like a very good idea, Athviaro. I agree  grin

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 06 July 2010, 19:06:40 »

How about Greek/Arabic/Hebrew characters instead?
Arabic might not work very well, since it's supposed to be written right-to-left I think.  But the other two might work. 

And I wasn't proposing that we should only use accents, but for some common ideas they may be useful, I think.
Oh, I think I get it now.  You mean something like how in English we sometimes write, for example, "&" for "and", right?  Yeah, that does sound like a good idea.   thumbup

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 06 July 2010, 20:46:09 »

You mean something like how in English we sometimes write, for example, "&" for "and", right?  Yeah, that does sound like a good idea.   thumbup

Sort of; like how in Spanish ao and ano mean different things.

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 15 April 2011, 05:41:52 »

In need of a couple of words:

From "Shielbearer(s) = Goruck" I gather that "Go" could be taken as the word for shield?

Is there a word for "diamond"? Or possibly "hard rock".. though diamond would be much more appropriate given that there's a play on the 'facets' of the precious stone..

Finally, "scales" as in the scales of a dragon, or any reptilian creature?

Cheers in advance ^^

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 15 April 2011, 06:47:44 »

Jonael, I didn't a bit of comprehensive work on breaking up orcish words Here

From a few other words on the site, I determined that "ruck" was the word for shield, right at the beginning, it's also in the dictionary.

As for scales. The word maar seems to mean "hide" from what I wrote in the spined worm. I can't find an equivalent on the site or in the dictionary. So perhaps y'marr for scales? Small-hide?

Diamond: phra'koh from stone and the word for fight (khq) fighting stone (for its hardness). However, since I gather you want a diamond shape (actually a sort of rhombus I believe), try this on for size

Diamond shield: mih'vert'ruck: Four-point-shield

Mih from the elvish meh: 4. The dark elves taught the orcs originally.
vert from vertex :P
And the original rational for ruck was based on "noruck-chmer" meaning skirmisher.
Noruck "no-shield"
Chmer "weak arm"

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.