Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: F'v'cl'r: Final Proposal  (Read 5583 times)
AvFlare

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 13 March 2001, 21:20:00 »

Before the War of the Chosen, when powerful sorcerors ruled the land, there existed the holy elven empire of F'v'cl'r. For many centuries F'v'cl'r prospered. The other races, orcs, humans, and dwarves, existed as subservient races to the elves, though they remained happy.

The elves of F'v'cl'r were devoted to the worship of Av and all of her creations. The elves sought to live up to their position as her privileged children. In their praise of Av, they also devoted themselves to the other gods, including Cor, who was recognized as an equal, and just as beautiful half of the Great Mother.

Eventually, an Empress known only as Kash'av'tayla came to power. She was a former High Priestess of Av, and was quite righteous in her belief that Av was the only one deserving of worship. The Emperor or Empress of F'v'cl'r was also recognized as the chief of state religion. Through this position, Kash'av'tayla slowly steered the elves away from the other gods. However, one faction remained firm in their worship of all things created by the Dream of Av. These elves who never succumbed to corruption would later become the Light Elves. They pureness of faith eventually caused them to evolve into a higher form of being.

After nearly a century, the elves had become so stoic in their worship of Av and all the things that she created that they shunned the other gods. Soon the gods who had been forsaken grew angry. Cor was most angry of all, though he remained calm and calculated. Though he was the essence of chaos itself, he was also of Av, and thus could restrain himself.

Through propaganda, Cor convinced the other gods that the elves were corrupt and must be punished. Cor was right. Armeros, god of war, incited the other races against the elves, something that kickstarted the War of the Chosen in years to follow. The first to rebel were the orcs, who assaulted and destroyed one of the units of the Empress elite Royal Elven Rangers.  The elves were hard pressed to keep control of their empire, but in the end beat back the masses with little room for mercy of any sort.

Armeros action only had the opposite effect on the elves. These attacks against them made them feel all the more justified in their lone worship of Av. Their hubris reached a point such that they decided that the other gods must be both evil and heretics for rebelling against the chosen sons and daughters of The One. They also began to discriminate against the other, so-called lesser races, thinking of them as inferiors.  Once more, however, a faction of elves began to separate themselves from the mainstream. Elves started praying to Cor in order to beg him for a sign to open the eyes for those elves who seemed to shut their eyes from the reality of the Dream.

They knew that the other gods had been forsaken. They knew they must appease them. But through this, they came to the conclusion that alone, Av is weak. It is only through her better half, Cor, that she truly became The One whom they worshipped. Eventually, this belief that Cor was the better half developed further, becoming a cult of sorts.

Kash'av'tayla continued to preach her nonsensical drivel to the elven people. Finally, Queprur, the goddess of death, intervened. She appeared through her avatar on the steps of F'v'cl'rs capitol, F'v'drm ("City of Av", drm being the word for city). Singlehandedly, she walked through the city, setting fire to homes and smiting the elves with her sickle. Then she reached the palace of Kash'av'tayla.

With one swift stroke, Queprur removed the head of the elven Empress. She impaled it upon a spike and set it high upon the palace of F'v'drm. This one action divided the elven nation.

In the days that followed, Foiros rained fire down upon F'v'cl'r. Then Grothar, the god of weather, and Baveras, the god of the sea and water, flooded the kingdom of F'v'cl'r. The area became an unbearable swampland, scorched by fire and drowned by water.

With the death of their figurehead and the ruin of their land, the elves began to develop different beliefs about the gods and themselves. Millenia later, these ideas would help develop the different tribes of elves, but for now the elves were unified in their disorientation.

The other elves had always disapproved of these Cor-believers. They shunned them for their ways. The new Emperor, a militant elf by the name of Ur'a'gor, decided he wouldn't tolerate them any longer. A witch-hunting crusade began within F'v'cl'r for the rebel elves who recognized Cor.

Once discovered, the elves would become the center of a harmonious ritual. They would be bound to a tree while elves danced, sang, played music, and prayed around them. It was supposed to be a "purification." The elf would then be ceremoniously killed so that they might be "returned to Av."

One of the Cor-worshippers, an elf named Saban began to rally his brethren together, not willing to be hunted down any more. Saban, having seen that he is greatly outnumbered by the rest of the elven population, enlisted the aid of the orcs, humans, and dwarves along with his wife, Kalara, a huntress and warrior herself. The other races, still seething from their earlier defeat by the elves, agreed to help him.

A grand scheme was concocted, setting the exact date and time of an uprising. The other races agreed to turn the nation over to Saban once the war was over. When the invasion did occur, the other elves of F'v'cl'r were completely unprepared. The revolution made fast progress against the nation already weakened by the wrath of the gods. Soon the entire nation fell under the united control of the revolutionaries.

However, the orcs were notorious for not adhering to deals. They convinced the humans and dwarves to ignore the weak elves and take their birthright.  They sacked the elven cities, raped their women, took their riches, and burned their homes to the ground. Saban was furious.

Eventually he and his wife Kalara confronted the leaders at the rubble of the palace of F'v'drm. Unfortunately, they had reached the point where they needed him no longer.  Rudely, they ignored the elven leader.

Frustrated and angry, Saban and Kalara unsheathed their weapons and attacked the leaders of the allied forces. Unfortunately, they failed to notice the sentries posted around. Kalara was shot several times in the back with arrows, once through the heart. She was dead instantly. Saban was also fired upon, taking wounds in his legs and shoulder, but still liveds.

He fell to his knees unable to stand any longer. Tears ran down his face as he looked at his folly, the ruin of great F'v'cl'r. Holding the body of his dead wife in his hands, he said "If our longing for the uttermost beauty is the destruction of [Eden] - will the beauty of the world then also destroy the world and thus beauty itself?" As he finished those last words, Usgar Locumrak, orc general, decapitated the elven leader.

From that day forth, Usgar and his race were cursed by Cor.  By killing Saban, he had destroyed the possibility of a mighty elven empire under his guidance.  Ever since that day, the orcs have been the most violent and bloodthirsty race on Ar'a'chn.  A war then broke out among the remaining three races over the rulership of F'v'cl'r.  The land was ruined further and further, with none of the three emerging victorious.  Eventually, the lands became uninhabitable and they were all forced to move on.

The elven nation had been decimated. Many of the surviving elves migrated elsewhere -- various forests and safe-havens where they might live their lives in peace. The orcs, humans, and dwarves left as well, seeing that an empire of rubble is no empire at all.  Saban's followers remained, though they were lost without their leader. At this time, Saban and Kalara's son, Sohlim was only an infant.

These remaining followers of Saban became the dark elves. Later, when Sohlim grows older, he took on the name of his father, Saban, and journeyed forth in search of new lands. He eventually settled the Eophyrim tribe in Paelelon. Every firstborn male of Saban's line, from that day forth, would take on the name of Saban once his father died. One incarnation of this family line has become particularly notorious, descending the Hckranian volcano so that he might destroy the Earthen Titan at his home in Hegedorn and gain immortality.

The other elves who chose to remain instead of accompanying Saban still live on in the dark marshes of what once was F'v'cl'r.  Like the Wind Elves or Light Elves, they have evolved into something else.  They have become creatures of shadow, thus earning the name Shadow Elves.

Edited by: AvFlare  at: 3/14/01 3:48:00 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2001, 14:00:00 »

Fine, fine, Flare! I have no big objections to this version. If anyone finds something which is not to his/her liking please post here or remain silent forever... *grin*

The text could already be placed on the site this way (rgearding the content), unless you still plan to add a few details here or there, Flare. However, I noticed a bit of an inconsequence in the tenses you're using: The text starts with past tense and moves to present tense, which should be corrected before putting it up on the site.

Still the question needs to be solved: Where exactly should we put the concept? I think it maybe a good idea to set up an own Mythology section, containing the Crpa'dosan myths and all other myths coming up - what do you think?

BTW: Don't forget that we have a good staff of artists here in Santharia, or at least a lot of artists, who allow us to use their pictures, Flare! If you write something for the Compendium and find some nice pictures somewhere on the sites of our artists or the Santharian Resource section (check it out!) which you think that you can use - please let me know and I will reserve the picture(s) for you and integrate them;)  The more we try to work with the illustrations, the more life comes into the Santharian Dream! It is also encouraged to do it the other way round: To pick a picture and write something to it in case it fits somehow into your ideas. I just noticed that one of our great artists aside from the famous Faugar, namely Enayla, also isn't sleeping. Her latest pictures include 2 of elven kind, e.g.

elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lo...h.jpg.html

or

elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lo...l.jpg.html

Apocalyptic skies maybe could also fit here, maybe?

elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lo...s.jpg.html

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
AvFlare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2001, 15:36:00 »

The second elf picture could be good for Saban, maybe.  As for a Compendium entry, you mean on the city itself, correct?  That wouldn't be a problem...  If need be, I could also write one on Saban, Kash'av'tayla, Kalara, or any others.  I'll also have to write one up on the Shadow Elves, who should be added to the tribes list.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2001, 17:41:00 »

Yup, the more Compendium entries, the better, of course. They then can be linked together, forming a whole picture. If you concentrate on this part/things of our world, expanding the amount on entries there bit by bit this would be a perfect addition to the Dream;)

In general everything we construct ends sooner or later in the Compendium (the Compendium comprises everything, also the entries on people, places, religions etc.), so I propose we will do an entry called "Myth of F'v'cl'r" where this concept will be placed. A seperate entry on "F'v'cl'r" could concentrate on a rough sketch of this myth and contain more detailed information concentrated on the town itself.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2001, 01:57:00 »

What about the Dragons, Flare? They are also a minor major race...

Look at my proposal in the Drow thread...

Gnufruk

P.S. Look at my new picture!

Edited by: Gnufruk the Trader at: 3/14/01 7:58:22 am
Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2001, 01:59:00 »

Damnit! The picture didnt show up! Ill try again...

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2001, 02:00:00 »

There, it worked!

AvFlare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2001, 09:54:00 »

This matter has already been discussed in depth by Art, Koldar, and I.  We have decided that, for all purposes, dark elves and drow are exactly the same.  In most other fantasy worlds, things are regarding in this way as well.  R.A. Salvatore's character, Drizzt Do'Urden, from the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, is both a dark elf and a drow.  The terms mean the same thing.  As for Dragons, they really have little to no place in the myth.  Besides, I don't think they would involve themselves in such affairs.  To them, the whole thing would be trivial.  And there is no way that they could be subservient to the elves as well.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2001, 10:52:00 »

BTW: I like the final version!

Now sounds all more reasoned and we've explained the rise of the darkelves and mentioned the fall of the Orcs. Both important things in the Santharian Dream, I think!

Bye, Koldar

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2001, 15:09:00 »

Yup. Concerning dragons: I also guess that the adamant dragons are a race of their own, they are eternal beings and will have some important functions assigned to them - guarding Av's tears (gems) perhaps or something similar. There are of course other kinds of dragons too, but dragons will get their own stories (and they already have one with the Dragonstorm).

It's a pity that Curgan seems to have disappeared currently and that he couldn't post his comments here. But Greybark also tole me on ICQ that he likes the concept, so I guess it's ok to put a final version soon on the site;)  

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2001, 08:07:00 »

Then what about the Goblins? They are not that bloodthirsty!

Gnufruk, the Goblin

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2001, 11:41:00 »

I guess it is nowhere written that goblins are bloodthirsty. However, we still require an entry about goblins at the races section... So, how about writting such an entry in detail, Gnufruk? - At least you're the goblin here!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2001, 14:33:00 »

Some more detail on the concept for Gnufruk. The story is completely ignoring the minor races but only the four main races which are all dedicated to a certain element (Orcs = fire, human = water, dwarves = earth, elves = wind). Those participated in this empire and betrayed its cause in the end.
Dragons, Brownies, Gnomes and Goblins might be either of minor importance or ignored it as they've better things to do (thinking about dragons here) or don't know about it (Brownies & Gnomes ?), as for Goblins we still don't know their role in the current race system.
You've to think that Goblins are weaker than Orcs and the idea is that Orcs were not that bad and bloodthirsty in ancient times but became it as they betrayed the elves.

Just to clarify things somewhat more...

Bye, Koldar

Gnufruk the Trader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2001, 01:44:00 »

I still think its strange that Goblins were not mentioned, because the Goblins has always been the subjects of the Orcs (Why? Because they mainly live in the same area and both came from the element of Fire (but Goblins must have been mixed with somithing else, perhaps Earth (Goblins prefer living in caves under the ground, away from war and disease)?)

Gnufruk

AvFlare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2001, 07:09:00 »

Yeah, but at this point the orcs are subservient to the elves.  The goblin relationship could come later at any time in history.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.