Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Squilla fungus  (Read 21506 times)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« on: 16 July 2004, 16:30:00 »

Here's a rough draft of the Squilla.  It's not finished yet but I'd like your comments and suggestions.  I know it's kind of short, but really, how complex is a fungus?

Basic Overview of the Plant
The Squilla is a fungus that grows thickly all over Sarvonia, from the Celeste Lowlands in the north to Cape Strata in the south. It is an edible fungus with a delicious spicy flavour that makes it invaluable to Sarvonian cooks.  Most races in Sarvonia, including orcs, elves, Brownies, hobbits, and Thergerim, as well as humans, enjoy this fungus as a spice for various foods.
It is known as "shelfung" (Sarvonian)  "kroch'tlor" (orcish)  and "urtumua" (ThergerimTaal).

Description
Squillae are large, stiff fungi that grow anywhere that there is plenty of moisture.  They grow out of the lower trunks of trees that are near lakes and rivers or growing in swampy areas.  Squillae are approximately half circular in shape, with a rough ridged surface.  They are flat on the top but the underside curves upwards from a thick base to the narrow edges.  They resemble little shelves, hence their nickname “shelf-fungus”, commonly shortened to “shelfung”. They can be as much as two nailsbreadths thick at the base and half a palmspan long. They are a dusty brown in colour, slightly darker than elken brown. The average Squilla weighs about 1 or 2 muts.   The older a Squilla gets, the stronger its flavour becomes.  It also becomes harder.  After it reaches full maturity, it will usually spore within about two weeks (see Reproduction)  Squillae require little sun and grow best in the shade.  If any spores do happen to reach a sunnier area, the fungus may grow, but it will be small and shriveled, without much taste.   (picture, see Faugar’s Silvermarshes).  

Territory
This fungus grows throughout the world of Caelereth, in the temperate areas.  In Sarvonia, it is found most thickly in the areas south of Nyermersys, though it does grow in the Celeste Lowlands in summer, along the banks of the Luquador, Readmeade and Quest Rivers and by Crystal Lake. It is found in Yamalquain, Nybelmar and on the Isles of R’unor.

Usages
This fungus imparts a lovely spicy, smoky flavour to foods.  It is the preferred spice for leveret, forcebread, and poultry, but may be used in almost any savoury dish.  There are two methods of preparation used.  The most common is simply to grate it and store it in a tightly sealed container.  It will last for several months this way.  The second method, used with smaller fungi, is to immerse the whole fungus in oil overnight, after which it will become soft and spongy.  Then it may be chopped finely and used in any recipe.  This intensifies the flavour significantly so it is not normally used with the stronger flavoured large ones. The domestic pig (see Bestiary) loves the scent of this fungus and can be trained to hunt for it, though training the pig not to gobble it down does take a bit more work.  

Reproduction
Squillae reproduce by producing spores.  A Squilla that is ready to spore becomes darker in colour and has a puffier appearance to it.  These should not be harvested for eating as they have a very bitter taste.  Within a week, the fungus is ready to reproduce.  It separates from the tree and falls to the ground, where it bursts, releasing a cloudy dark powdery substance.  This contains the spores, which attach on to the nearest tree they touch.  They grow throughout the year in the warmer areas of Caelereth, but go dormant in colder places until spring.

Myth/Lore/Origins (optional)
Though Squilla have no particularl mythological associations, there are various folk beliefs about them.  Orcs believe that this fungus will strengthen the blood for fighting. so it is prevalent throughout much of their cookery.  They call it the Kroch’Tlor, which translates roughly as “Good Blood”. The Blaa’kr tribe on the Iles of R’unor believe that it enhances sexual potency.  Hobbits say that it will increase one’s wisdom.  Most races, however, just believe that it tastes good and that is why they add it to their food.

Alysse the Likely

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/30/04 20:23

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2004, 02:44:00 »

Sort of a cross between truffles, sage, and oyster mushrooms... a very cool plant!  Let's make sure to incorporate Squillpowder (or whatever you'd like to call the spice derived from the plant) into more of our receipts...

(makes note to make a Forcebread entry so people know what Alysse is talking about...)

Hey, Bard Judith is internationally known for her forcebread, AKA stuffing... seriously, when we did a Thanksgiving dinner here in Korea several years ago, there wasn't a morsel left...

I'm working on a tiny laptop with a miniature screen in my dorm room just before a cafeteria supper, so I don't have time to edit/comment thoroughly now, Alysse, but it looks pretty good.  Thanks for getting that up so quickly!  I hope to come back later, but I've got yet another Orientation Session to run tonight for eighteen Canadian teachers and twenty Korean counsellors, so... perhaps later will be tomorrow.

Regards from the throat-sore bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2004, 22:00:00 »

Thank you, Bard!  

So is the entry too short? Or can it stand?  I appreciate any and all suggestions.:)  

BTW, the common name for this in powder form is "shelfung", derived from shelf-fungus.

Alysse the Likely

Edited by: Alysse theLikely at: 7/22/04 16:28

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2004, 13:00:00 »

Just a tiny note: The Brownies are always written with a capital "B" here in Santharia, due to an emancipation decree by a Milkengradian Anactar, in order to counter the descrimination of the Milken Brownies;)

Other small correction: It's "Nyermersys", not "Nymersys".

The various different names for the fungus you mention throughout the entry (Shelfung, Kroch’Tlor) should also be added to the Overview, I'd say. We usually do that so that you have them all together. Nice name BTW, this "Shelfung"...

The entry itself is pretty fine from my point of view, Alysse, so I'll give you the integrattion arrow. It's not necessary to write a whole novel for a fungus entry - you have all the important information here, it's precise and doesn't leave anything open (and we also have Faugar's picture - yay!), so it's all perfect from my point of view.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2004, 23:21:00 »

Thanks, Art!   I made the corrections, so it should be all ready to go.

Now it's time for me to get back to the tale of F'ash, after being distracted by various other entries.  The final chapter will be forthcoming soon, I promise!  

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.