Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Library teasers  (Read 8125 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 10 February 2006, 05:43:00 »

We need short teasers for each story/chapter we're gonna add to Library Overview pages. So if you've written a tale for the Library and haven't provided an overview yet, please do so and post it here. I'll grab it then and integrate it into the appropriate overviews.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2006, 04:08:38 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2006, 10:12:00 »

I Nsiki, am an Eyelian. To your people, we are known as Tamers. We gained this nickname from our greatest secret, and our most well-guarded strength- our ability to converse with animals. It is rare that one will garner enough power to be able to bend the animals will. Rare, but not unknown. Who are these charecters of such strength, fortitdue and willpower? The Eyelian Beastmasters. And even the greatest had humble begginings. Here is one of those begginings.

INTRO TO CHRONICLES OF THE EYELIAN BEASTMASTERS (The tale given to Marv on his inaguration day)

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2006, 11:43:27 »

Just a short note in case anyone wants to know how I write my teasers. I find writing teasers problematic too since you're supposed to write something that doesn't give away the entire plot of the story and yet there still has to be enough there to interest a person to want to read more!

So what I do is that I actually based my teaser style from the blurbs you read at the back of every fantasy book *lol*

Oh and Art, I noticed two or three grammatical errors in my teasers! Can I still amend them?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2006, 14:55:48 »

Yup, of course, just tell me where to change what  :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2006, 03:49:37 »

Just a hint: As the stories we put up are Santharian ones, you shouldn't forget to try to express that somehow, also in the overview. E.g. Gark, an ordinary carpenter apprentice of the village of... etc. would give it a more Santharian touch, know what I mean? The current teaser could also be valid for a science fiction story, eh?

@Everyone else: I still need further teasers for possible further books, also e.g. for Dalá's first letters - any progress here is welcome, as whenever I have time I can convert more stories into book format!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2006, 05:08:32 »

It might not be the right spot to post this here....

Hi Nsikigan,
I looked for the story you wrote your teaser for and couldn‘t find it, no link in the Marvin inauguration thread nor in the library (or with the search function).
The reason I wanted to have a look at is, that your teaser is a bit contradicting the entry about the Eyelians as I understand it. Maybe it is just your use of words and my misinterpretation of them.

Let us look at them:

CONVERSE - that means for me, you are able to actually speak to them as you would to humans , but that is not possible, you understand THEIR language and cannot do more than use it to a certain extent.

POWER - I don‘t think, an Eyelian exerts POWER, like a mage f.e., but he uses his SKILLS, nor would an Eyelian as understand their culture ever want to BEND the will of an animal, but he tries to persuade the animal to want the same as he wants.

„fortitude“ - spelling

WILLPOWER - is it really the „willpower“ which enables an Eyelian to communicate with the animals? I thought it is more the „giving up“ of yourself to be able to come to terms with an animal, to be able to feel and act like one and to communicate with one this way. Willpower would hinder this, I think.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2006, 12:06:07 »

Teasers for the Letters? Okay, okay, I'm on it!  grin
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2006, 15:09:01 »

I haven#t forgotten to do your teasers, Coren! you did mine so nicely!
« Last Edit: 20 September 2006, 15:11:59 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2007, 09:16:27 »

A Shard of Perfect
When the Sage of Santharia discovers that a shard of the universal mirror is somewhere in the far corners of the world, he sends his finest apprentices to try and recover it. When none return however, he is forced to assemble a team of his greatest and most trusted librareans to seek out this artifact. Narrated by an up-and-coming scribe, the reasercher of rats, the master of miscellany, the Eyelian extrodinare, Nsikigan Yourth, A Shard of Perfect presents the reader with a view of what the library (and the people who run it) is really like. Guest starring many of the reasearchers at the Dreamforge, and starring the Dream Team.
By Nsikigan Yourth

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Mirmec Rethindor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2007, 12:57:59 »

Sounds really good. And you leave your character plenty of room to grow and mature through the plotline on such a long journey.

I think a fun thing to do with stories like that is set the character out looking for something which appears at first to be a concrete item to retrieve but as the story evolves it turns out the real item is really an emotional or spiritual transformation or growth opportunity that of course  the idealistic quest seeker would not be able to comprehend unless of course they go through all the rigors of the stories contents.

Also i think a great story includes loss in it. Whether it is a major character dies or loses one of the key five senses, or wealth or whatever, a good story really involves losing things as well as gaining things.

Good luck!

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2007, 06:16:14 »

Teasers, teasers, let's see...

For the whole story:
When a well-known nobleman is found murdered in a tavern in Bardavos, Calmin is one of the first to arrive on the scene. As a friend of the Captain of the Guard, he tries to help him to solve this crime...

For the first chapter:
When a man enters the room of a tavern, someone is waiting for him... and buries a dagger in his chest. Meanwhile, the famous bard Judith is performing in 'The Singing Bard'. All visitors are enjoying this night. Among them is a well-to-do merchant from Voldar, by the name of Calmin. Little does he know that the following nights will not be spent so peacefully...

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Mahvalan the VIII

Gained Aura: 0

Pyrotechnic Wanna-be Santharian

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2007, 11:01:51 »

The Tale of the Rhéneú'áel'miés Teaser(s):

Story teaser: A gem stolen thousands of years ago, during the Wars of the Chosen May or may not keep, depending. A man flung from from the world he knows to a the future (present day). A befuddled hermit. A country-born and bred sheepherder.

Prologue: A Winter's Night Teaser

Scal Quickfingers, a renegade thief steals a gem and some other things. Little does he know, he has started the turnings of destiny with what to him is just another job. This theft sets the stage for many disastrous events and ultimately the future. By the way, I am considering this being a fiction story, that way I won't tick off too many people in the history forums. Have mercy, I beg of you! :P
« Last Edit: 03 October 2007, 11:23:56 by Mahvalan the VIII » Logged

"Behold my innner flame. Beware my wrath. The passions and rage of Fire is my own." - Mahvalan the VIII
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2007, 10:57:22 »

Got two questions.

1) I wrote a story for the Library where would I put it? Just under a topic in this area?

2) Can I submit it under this name but have it as written by another one of my characters or do i need an account for that character here? One my character is a writer so based the stuff in the story slightly around that. (That character not approved yet but working on him on the rpg side.)

Teaser
The Lessons of Leon the Long
By: Danner Ash
     During a visit to a new town Danner Ash apparently had too much time on his hands. His brother had found some work for the next few days and he was left to wander the wonderful merchant town. During this time he evidently had little to do other than follow a shifty looking fellow though his daily routine. While doing so he was able to learn much and gained a story from his experience. So now Danner Ash gives you the story of Leon the Long, Leon the Lonely, Left-handed Leon, Lean Leon, and the master thief of Cavthan. And if you couldn't guess they are all one and the same.

Edit: Teaser

« Last Edit: 07 October 2007, 14:44:16 by Garret Arroway » Logged

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2007, 14:42:18 »

If you write a story for the Library, then you should post it as well in the Library, it's that simple :)

The story can be written from a character's perspective, no problem, usually it works that way that you provide your regular Dev name for the story itself and that you mention in the teaser part that this is a story written by another character. The teaser however isn't written in first person, just write about how that person wrote it, and then go into the story in first person.

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2007, 17:09:47 »

A teaser for chapter two:

Early next morning a barmaid finds the body. Her screams wake up some of the patrons, among them Calmin. He quickly takes charge of the situation. The investigation can begin...

Hmm, not really very good, but it's so hard to write a teaser for just one chapter without telling what happens in it ;) Any suggestions to make it better would be welcome.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.