Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Library teasers  (Read 8128 times)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2008, 04:38:56 »

Alrighty... Chapter III

The Captain of the Guards, an old friend of Calmin's, arrives at the scene of the crime. He determines where the killer was hidden. When the room is investigated, the unpleasant task falls to the two men to tell the widow about her husband's death.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2010, 04:54:38 »

'An Inconvenient Nephew: The Tale of Aristo Ziron'

Overall Book Summary:

As a member of the Venraius Kogianate, the Enkyklopediac and Compendiumist Decipher Ziron is a part of a very complex family. This book charts the journey of one such complex relative, his nephew Aristo Ziron, over Western Nybelmar and eventually to Sarvonia, encountering a number of trials and tribulations along the way.

Chapter 1

Decipher Ziron, and his bodyguard Mila Metariel, arrive in Marmarra after receiving a letter from his nephew Aristo. Meeting the Venraius Housemaster, Karias, he endeavours to purchase the freedom of his Nephew.

Chapter 2

The party of three Marmarrans continues their journey towards the Zhunite Desert. A secretive Ziron, Aristo appears to guard his past ferociously, before one member of the party becomes the target of a mysterious individual

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2010, 06:25:08 »

Before I present the teaser for my tale, perhaps a few words explaining what I'm hoping to achieve would be in order.

For Christmas, my dad paid for me to enrol on a creative writing course at my local nightschool. I think my wife and he hoped it would spur me back into action.
Anyway, one of the first elements we studied was writing for children, and the tutor had a very unique and interesting method of storyline creation. Splitting us up into small groups, she had us decide on 'essential' childrens' story plot devices and characters. Next, as homework, we had to individually write a draft plot using whichever of these elements we chose. At the next lesson, we were again put into our groups and we had to share our plots, and then combine them together into a bigger plot (still with me?) which we then had to write the story for as groups.
Finally, a few weeks later, we had to share our finished tales with the class and discuss our different uses of the same ingredients.
Sounds a bit nutty now I read it back, but it was actually very interesting, educational and great fun.

Anyway, what I hope to achieve is an old-fashioned childrens' story (like we had when we were kids, not the silly modern stuff), using as many familiar characters, plotlines/devices and Santh references as possible. I took much inspiration from MasterBard J's excellent 'Midnight Morjual' tale, which has stayed with me since I first read it almost a year ago. I love the way she has created the atmosphere of 'story time' at school, and hope to achieve at least a fraction of that here. I may pinch one of her ideas by adding the narrator's voice at some point, if I feel I can do it justice.

I've only actually got a rough idea of where the story is going at the moment, which is another idea of our tutor (don't get bogged down in detail. Have a start point, and a rough idea of where you want to end up, and fill the rest in as you go). Hopefully, even though it may meander a little in places, we'll all arrive safely at the end of the tale and it will all make some kind of sense.

So, without further ado, m'lud's, ladies han gennlemen, I present for your edification "Nod and the Hydragons' Tooth, Chapter One, the Teaser"

The hero of our tale, the aforementioned Nod, is a LLaoihrr brownie who lives in a small forest settlement at the foot of  Sorceresses' Peak. He is a very popular little chap with the other brownies and is known for his good advice and helpfulness. One day, his two friends, Winkum and Blinkum, run into a spot of bother with a local mage who turns poor Blinkum into a caterpillar.
Turning to Nod for help, they enlist another magician to try to reverse the spell. Unfortunately, Woz the wood wizard, for that was his name, isn't quite as skilled as the mage, and he succeeds in making matters much worse for our intrepid trio.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2010, 06:48:16 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2010, 17:06:00 »

Great idea to take such a course, and I'm happy that you enjoyed it, Tharoc! I guess one can learn a lot how to write a story properly, and if you try to find out all by yourself it takes a while until you get there. I've also learned in the course of time that structuring a story is essential to make progress.

So I'm looking forward to read your tale (now that my weekend work is done I can finally get back to other things here). For some reason I enjoy children tales quite a bit, as one can let imagination reign more freely than at other stories, so I'll get to read it this evening!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2010, 12:42:31 »

Remembered the Short story (or piece of non-fiction, whichever fits) and finaly remembered to do the teaser!'

Bandits!
As Compendiumist Agran Velion and his assistant/friend Olar travel from the North,to deliver their freshly finished entries.  Agran will find the road they’ve taken howver, is going to have a horrible surprise in store for them.

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2010, 03:26:11 »

Song of Sadness
The Song of Sadness is Aellenrhim in origin, as it is ritualy sung every year on the 18th of Chuh'querin. It is dedicated to the day when the Orcs raided the Aellenrhim and killed most of the original tribe. When sung, the song is often repeated, and if one were to visit the Aellenrhim on the 18th, they would find that the song was always being sung by at least one Elf, but often, by many.

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2011, 15:16:44 »

Kelder and Bryella

This fairy tale about two children who get lost in the woods and meet with Dula the witch exists in several versions throughout Sarvonia. This particular tale, in which they lose their way because of their conniving stepmother, originates from the region of Voldar and Nyermersis. Will good triumph over evil once more? And what exactly is Dula's role in it all?
« Last Edit: 02 June 2011, 02:45:58 by Irid alMenie » Logged

Irid al'Menie
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2011, 02:18:32 »

Nice teaser, Irid.

But it's "Dula", not "Dulla". One L. :)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2011, 02:46:40 »

Double L? What double L? I only see one L...  evil

Irid al'Menie
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2011, 04:52:43 »

How strange! I could have sworn ...

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 02 June 2011, 06:59:26 »

Irid's iridescent irises have doubtless misled thine own perceptive optics, oh sage.... Gaze not long into those deceptively limpid depths lest you be led astray!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 January 2012, 12:43:15 »

The Beauty and the Terror

Deklitch Hardin, member and researcher for the Compendium has recently based himself out of Silven, on the shores of Eight Winds Bay, far from what he is used to in the lands of Santharia. There, life is a lot more untamed, a lot more beautiful while also a lot more dangerous. Here then are stories about the people, the land, the places and the animals in this area of Caelereth. The reader will have to decide which, if any, are real, and which, if any, are simply made up.

Chapter I - The Mismatched Lovebirds
Love comes in all shapes and sizes, so it is said. In the case of Riodan of the Arthyron, and Khierah of the Susilgerim, it has been taken to the extremes. Read about the trials and tribulations as a dwarf and an elf, unable to find love within their own tribes find it in each other.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.